Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wedding!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Would anyone "consider" doing this?

The weddings always turn out lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

This show was good when it started. People were trying to be creative with their €10k and there was some genuine entertainment in it. Now it's turned into a complete formula.

They have kids, they've been engaged for years, but never got around to getting married. She wants the big white fairytale wedding in a castle, he wants it in the local GAA club. He settles on the local side of the road hotel, where he can get a 3 course meal on a Monday for €25 per head. She tries on a big fairytale dress, he gets her the opposite of what she wants, but she loves it on the day. She says a million times she is a control freak and she can't believe she has let him take over. He has a dopey friend who only wants to get him drunk. There's usually a stroppy bridesmaid who hates her dress...and the groom. On the day, everything goes perfect, despite everything in the lead up, saying it won't. And they all live happily ever after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

the one were franc planned the wedding was good, brides by franc?

I remember 1 very funny episode

couple: our budget is 50,000
    franc: this, this this would be lovely but it'll push your budget slightly
    couple: by how much?
    franc: another 30,000, so 80,000 total
    wife: no problem
    husband: :rolleyes: :eek: fuccccck....yes dear, no problem

:)

If I had applied for that show, before we are filmed sitting in a solicitors office promising not to communicate to each other before the wedding, you can be assured that I would tell my groom to be EXACTLY what I wanted, what type dress, venue etc!! who wouldn't?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd so apply but we've already planned half our wedding, booked our venue etc. That and I wouldn't be able to watch myself on TV and himself is practically on the same page as me wedding wise so there'd be no controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd actually trust my OH to plan it, we are very much on the same page with a lot of things - the thought of being on TV, not so much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd trust my OH 100% (we've actually discussed what we'd do if we were on it - not that we'd ever apply!) - but I think that trust is what would make us not get selected for it. They only seem to want couples where the groom will do the exact opposite of what the bride wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A lot of it is obviously staged. There's selected suppliers agreed in advance and the haggling is a joke.
    I find it hilarious when the couple have been living together for years and have kids, yet talk about how a church wedding is really important to them, like they're devout believers! Why didn't you get married before having the kids if you call yourselves religious!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

How do they manage to get a marriage licence in a few days/3 weeks as the registrar requires notice for this. Guess the fact they are going on tv they get around it.
    Also the bride always days at the dress scene " I wont wear it if I dont like it absolutely no way" then proceeds to say in every episode " god he knows me better then I know myself"
    Scripted to hell, would be much more entertining if they didnt and just see their natural reaction to everything

[QUOTE=, Why didn't you get married before having the kids if you call yourselves religious![/QUOTE]

Throw petrol on the situation!!!!

• Advertisement

Throw petrol on the situation!!!!

Ha I thought that too! But I've noticed it a lot on this show, couples living together who have kids going on about how they only want a church wedding because they're religious.

How do they manage to get a marriage licence in a few days/3 weeks as the registrar requires notice for this. Guess the fact they are going on tv they get around it.
    Also the bride always days at the dress scene " I wont wear it if I dont like it absolutely no way" then proceeds to say in every episode " god he knows me better then I know myself"
    Scripted to hell, would be much more entertining if they didnt and just see their natural reaction to everything

I think at the audition stage they ask you to apply for marriage license, someone that posts on another forum was bridesmaid for one of the girls last season and she said they had to have their appointment with the GRO before they were accepted onto the show.

January wrote: »
    I think at the audition stage they ask you to apply for marriage license, someone that posts on another forum was bridesmaid for one of the girls last season and she said they had to have their appointment with the GRO before they were accepted onto the show.

I think you're right, but they also have to have a Hse celebrant lined up if they want a civil ceremony so a lot of the agonising about church vs civil ceremony is all fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

First thing about 5 people asked me when I announced the engagement, was I going on don't tell the bride :pac:

Like others, we just don't make for good TV because I'm very laid back and would just go with anything and my boyfriend would probably have a fairly good idea of what to do. Every couple on that show are the same, or at least pretend to be to make the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'd love to see an episode where the bride refuses point blank to wear the dress and all hell breaks loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id do it no problem but id be too camera shy and be judging myself.. Himself was going to apply but thought the same id be given out about what I sound like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

sunbeam wrote: »
    I'd love to see an episode where the bride refuses point blank to wear the dress and all hell breaks loose.

It's happened where the bride hated it so much that she was allowed to exchange it.

I wonder if the couple from the Vegas episode are still together? That was horrendous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Dolbert wrote: »
    It's happened where the bride hated it so much that she was allowed to exchange it.

I wonder if the couple from the Vegas episode are still together? That was horrendous :eek:

Has it happened on the Irish show? I remember it happening on the UK one with the lesbian couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

lazygal wrote: »
    A lot of it is obviously staged. There's selected suppliers agreed in advance and the haggling is a joke.
    I find it hilarious when the couple have been living together for years and have kids, yet talk about how a church wedding is really important to them, like they're devout believers! Why didn't you get married before having the kids if you call yourselves religious!

Yes I've heard it's all staged, as in the groom gets a choice of a certain amount of dresses. Can only chose from certain venue locations. She is brought to the most amazing completely out of their budget venues.

I also wonder about the Vegas one, worst wedding ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

Dolbert wrote: »

The big D..if you believe everything you read on an internet forum! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

perhaps they will do a re-visited show..Think they done one for the UK to see how couples got on after..I saw the Irish Couple who were in the Cork one where he had the wedding on the island.. Twas gas I was like omg I know them they seemed happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I always cringe when the bride is at this amazing 5 star castle resort that is her dream saying "Don't think he'll ever pick anything like this." what do you expect on a ten grand budget and 3 weeks notice?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If I had applied for that show, before we are filmed sitting in a solicitors office promising not to communicate to each other before the wedding, you can be assured that I would tell my groom to be EXACTLY what I wanted, what type dress, venue etc!! who wouldn't?!

This is what I don't get about the show... surely a bride can just tell the groom what she wants before they start filming or even give him an idea of dress style?? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

sunbeam wrote: »

That's not going to happen anyway.
    The people who watch these shows require there to be always a happy ending, because, you know, that's what real life is like, nice romantic loving and wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    That's not going to happen anyway.
    The people who watch these shows require there to be always a happy ending, because, you know, that's what real life is like, nice romantic loving and wonderful.

It has happened, she refused and they had to get a different dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

michellie wrote: »
    It has happened, she refused and they had to get a different dress.

Still, the bride got her way after originally agreeing to abide by the grooms choices,(that is the premise) a happy ending cute romantic kisses everything tied up in a nice bow.
    The show is formulaic and contrived, like all so called reality shows.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What I'd like to know is that not one bridal shop was able to guarantee to get me a dress in less than 3 months, yet this crowd march in and pick one irrespective of the size of the bride, and not only do they get it in a week, but it also fits perfectly. I smell a rat here.

My dress took 5 months to arrive, and even then, she warned that it was the earliest it could arrive.

Though we'd be the most boring episode as we are both far too laid back. Now if production threw a few wacky ideas in - I dunno, being given away by oompa loompas or an underwater ceremony they could film my future mother in law's reaction and that would be TV gold. :D

Neyite wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is that not one bridal shop was able to guarantee to get me a dress in less than 3 months, yet this crowd march in and pick one irrespective of the size of the bride, and not only do they get it in a week, but it also fits perfectly. I smell a rat here.

My dress took 5 months to arrive, and even then, she warned that it was the earliest it could arrive.

Though we'd be the most boring episode as we are both far too laid back. Now if production threw a few wacky ideas in - I dunno, being given away by oompa loompas or an underwater ceremony they could film my future mother in law's reaction and that would be TV gold. :D

Sample dresses and off the peg dresses are available immediately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd do this in a heartbeat, my OH goes to my local lingerie boutique to buy me underwear on the odd occasion he does as he doesn't know my size.

We'd not be the right wedding though, we both want a registry office affair with a small family party :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

January wrote: »
    Sample dresses and off the peg dresses are available immediately.

Do you mean for the programme? Oh I'd say there is a very limited pool for the groom to choose from.

I know I asked 3 different bridal shops and they were prepared to turn me away and lose a sale because they couldnt get my dress any quicker. I even asked yer wan in Pronuptia what women who get married in less than three months do and she just shrugged and said 'monsoon?' :D

Maybe I was looking in the wrong shops - I daresay I'd find a dress all right, but if you have your heart set on a particular one or were a larger size you'd have to wait for one on order.

Still, mine was worth the wait. :)

Advertisement