Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 6 "The Laws of Gods and Men": *HAVENT* read the books MOD NOTE POST1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great episode, the bit with the Ironborne was excellent, and Tyrions performance is the series highlight so far for me. Peter Dinklage is superb. Prince Oberyn and Varis was also very good, like an alternative Littlefinger scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Maybe the hound will somehow be his champion. You saw in the teaser him saying he's now a bag of silver to people so he obviously finds out the orders to kill him. If he found out he could have one final duel with the mountain it could be his dream ending to the brotherly fued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wasn't a fan of the Ironborn attack. Before she set out last season, Yara made a big speech about how she was going to march on the Dreadfort and save her little brother and then she made a another speech last night about how being Ironborn means nothing if they don't save Theon.

I know Theon seems totally lost but the climax of the Ironborn running away from some dogs was a let-down.

The rest of the episode was it's usual brilliance. Plus this....

got_wallpaper__the_titan_of_braavos_by_mcnealy-d79mek8-700x393.jpg

How fecking cool is that?! I don't think you want to mess with a city that has one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just realised if Tyrion goes to The Wall Jon Snow will probably chop his head off so I can't see that happening.

I don't agree.

Tyrion and Jon formed a friendship in Season 1 when they were on the wall together. Tyrion saved Jon's life, remember, or at least saved him from multiple stab wounds.

Tyrion has also done more than anyone to try and reinforce the wall.

I'm sure Jon will understand that Tyrion didn't have any say in Ned Stark dying, and he may actually be happy that Tyrion "killed" Joffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Jamie's got a forlorn look on his face following Tyrion's declaration.
    He'll no doubt feel obliged to intervene.

Oberyn looks intrigued more than anything. I'd say he'll happily sit back and see what happens. Sure he finds his inclusion in the trial as entertaining enough.

Whatever about Dinklage in Seasons 1-3, this is a different Tyrion altogether. The witty retorts, the hopeless victim, long gone. He says it himself, that he's been on trial his whole life, and the Shae betrayal is final straw.

It was great how all the things he'd said in jest came back to haunt him as well. All the things that we loved him for, and now they could be his undoing.

Just a really great scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Peter Dinklage must have reached down into some real life dwarf experience and anger at society for the last half of his speech.

That was some real, true, loathing the world passion on display there putting the whole world on trial for treating him as such for his physical form and not who he is as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Won't add anymore that to say Peter Dinklage was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

That final scene was one of the best so far this series. The look of betrayal on Tyrion's face when Shae twists everything and the outburst at the end towards Tywin.. just brilliant.

Did anyone else think Margaery looked like she was really feeling guilty about the whole thing, especially when the necklace was brought out? Do you think she might convince Loras to stand for Tyrion?

I'm struggling to think of anyone else. I doubt either Tyrion or Tywin would risk Jaime in his current state. And Oberyn was already promised the Mountain by Tywin, I don't understand why he'd feel the need to step into a trial where he risks the Mountain getting away with his sister's murder if he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Guys, what episode before was it mentioned that Jorrah was sent to spy on Danerys or have i just missed something glaringly obvious all all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

lbj666 wrote: »
    Guys, what episode before was it mentioned that Jorrah was sent to spy on Danerys or have i just missed something glaringly obvious all all along.

Season 1, Episode 5; The Wolf and the Lion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan of the Ironborn attack. Before she set out last season, Yara made a big speech about how she was going to march on the Dreadfort and save her little brother and then she made a another speech last night about how being Ironborn means nothing if they don't save Theon.

I know Theon seems totally lost but the climax of the Ironborn running away from some dogs was a let-down.

The rest of the episode was it's usual brilliance. Plus this....

got_wallpaper__the_titan_of_braavos_by_mcnealy-d79mek8-700x393.jpg

How fecking cool is that?! I don't think you want to mess with a city that has one of those.

This is pretty cool if you have never heard of it. I learnt about in a game of Civilisation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tyrion to Shae

lbj666 wrote: »

Jorah was sending info to Varys about Dany, which led to them sending the assassin with the poison wine. Jorah was sent a pardon by the crown, and could have returned to Westoros, but he ignored it and instead saved Dany from being poisoned and stayed with her.

I forget what exact episode but it was Season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Prince Oberyn, love him more and more with every episode. I think he is on Tyrion's side though as blase as he seems about everything. I just love his attitude towards Tywinn. He doesn't seems scared by anyone.:D

Cersi must have really threatened Shae to get her to ensure Tyrion's guilt. I mean I know she was angry at being sent away, but I don't think she would have sentenced Tyrion to death like that unless she had been really threatened.

I wonder was the scene with the dragons making it clear that they are slightly beyond Dany's control anymore. I think she will be finding it harder to kept everyone happy and that will cause her serious problems.

Ramsey is so creepy. Find it really hard to watch the scenes between him and Theon. He makes my skin crawl.

Prince Oberyn, love him more and more with every episode. I think he is on Tyrion's side though as blase as he seems about everything. I just love his attitude towards Tywinn. He doesn't seems scared by anyone.:D

Cersi must have really threatened Shae to get her to ensure Tyrion's guilt. I mean I know she was angry at being sent away, but I don't think she would have sentenced Tyrion to death like that unless she had been really threatened.

I wonder was the scene with the dragons making it clear that they are slightly beyond Dany's control anymore. I think she will be finding it harder to kept everyone happy and that will cause her serious problems.

Ramsey is so creepy. Find it really hard to watch the scenes between him and Theon. He makes my skin crawl.

I don't know, I actually think Shae was saying those things as she believed the things that Tyrion said to her to get her to leave.. Could be proven wrong in later episodes though, will have to see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think the Mountain is the most likely choice as Tywin's champion. He's always been the most feared and fearsome Lannister knight. The likes of Ser Meryn wouldn't have a chance against Bronn, so it would be a bit too easy of a way out for Tyrion.

Tywin doesn't want Tyrion to die though does he? As he's just made a deal to continue his lineage based on Tyrion living on.

But why is everyone assuming someone will be fighting for him anyway, would he not just be fighting himself?

Next episode should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Someone mentioned it before. I think the Mountain will be Tywin's chosen warrior with Oberyn taking his opportunity to fight him on Tyrion's behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

nm wrote: »
    Tywin doesn't want Tyrion to die though does he? As he's just made a deal to continue his lineage based on Tyrion living on.

But why is everyone assuming someone will be fighting for him anyway, would he not just be fighting himself?

Next episode should be good

Tyrion vs The Mountain:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm thinking Tywin will choose The Mountain as his man, Oberyn would have had no intention of getting invloved, but when he finds out it's The Mountain he steps up for tyrion.

Another idea, Can Tyrion choose whoever he wants to fight for him? If he wanted a sure thing then wouldn't he choose Tommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

J. Marston wrote: »

Yeah, that part didn't make a lot of sense to me. She's presumably spent months at sea, sailing all the way around the south of Westeros from the Iron Islands on the west coast to the Dreadfort on the north east side, and then gives up when threatened with some dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm thinking Tywin will choose The Mountain as his man, Oberyn would have had no intention of getting invloved, but when he finds out it's The Mountain he steps up for tyrion.

Another idea, Can Tyrion choose whoever he wants to fight for him? If he wanted a sure thing then wouldn't he choose Tommon?

He can choose but the person he chooses has to agree to it. Otherwise someone will have to volunteer, just like Bronn did in the Vale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I know I'm officially gripped to GoT when I find myself looking up medieval law to find out the parameters of trial by combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm putting my money on Bronn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Masterful performance by Dinklage.

Really don't know who will be fighting who.

The Mountain vs Oberyn may sound like the obvious one but Oberyn has been promised The Mountain anyway, so why put himself forward?

I think if no one else stands up for Tyrion, Jaime will.

Don't think it will be Bronn - as others have said, he's a sellsword, he has no loyalty to Tyrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Give Dinklage an Emmy now! Did anyone notice there was only one set of ads on Sky Atlantic during this? Usually they are every 10 minutes! Nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I know I'm officially gripped to GoT when I find myself looking up medieval law to find out the parameters of trial by combat.

"
    Because the common law of the Thirteen Colonies separated from that of English when the colonies declared independence in 1776, the English common law in effect at that time remained entrenched in United States federal law and in the law of most states, except where the appropriate American authority (e.g., a state or federal legislature or court) had abolished a given rule. Specifically, even if the British legislature or judiciary changed English common law on a given point, that change is not binding on American authorities.
    Because Britain did not abolish wager by battle until Parliament's 1819 response to Ashford v Thornton (1818), and because no court in post-independence United States has addressed the issue, the question of whether trial by combat remains a valid American alternative to civil action remains open, at least in theory"

Interesting, although you would probably get the death penalty just for requesting it.

Forgot to say how cool it was to see Mark Gatiss in this episode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Worst rescue attempt EVER !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I really liked that episode. I've been itching for the trial to get started. I don't see the fight going any other way except Tywin calling up The Mountain and Oberyn jumping at the chance to have his vengeance. This will sadly spell the end of Oberyn, I fear. I really like him as a character, but I think The Mountain will kick the arse of him. It'll be ideal for Tywin too - the Tyrion and Dorn problems eradicated in one fell swoop.

I wasn't too surprised at Shae testifying against Tyrion, but I couldn't tell whether she was lying to get back at him or because she had been coerced into doing so.

I was slightly disappointed in Varys. He's a real snake.

It seemed like the Theon stuff was going to get interesting with his sister, but they were gone out of it almost as quickly as they arrived. Theon's a bit of a lost cause for them. I reckon he'll probably do whatever he's told by Ramsey and the Boltons will get control of the Iron Islands. Theon has well and truly been turned against his own people. He was never up to the job anyway.

Interesting that Tywin is now aware of what Danaerys is up to and is sending people to investigate. He's anticipating a threat from her, while she still isn't even really thinking about Westeros. Her capabilities as a leader are really being challenged now too. Making blanket decisions without taking into account individuals. Wondering more and more about those dragons too. She's not as in control of them as she thinks.

• Advertisement

I just assumed Cersei had paid or bribed Shae rather than threatened her.

Especially when she turned to Tyrion and said "I'm a whore".

Advertisement