Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 6 "The Laws of Gods and Men": *HAVE* read the books

Options
  • 11-05-2014 12:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A lot going on in this episode.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Woo, Titan of Braavos! Looks like a good one. Can't wait to see more of Tyrion vs Tywin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Really looking forward to this one. Good to see Yara/Asha again. Didn't realise Mark Gatiss had been cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Is show Jorah still informing King's Landing on Daenerys' whereabouts?

Could be how he gets kicked out of her entourage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is show Jorah still informing King's Landing on Daenerys' whereabouts?

Wasn't his job finished in season 1?

He got a royal pardon saying his job is done and he can come home, he realised they were about to kill her and he saved her. He stayed with her after that but I don't think he was still informing on her. In fact, I don't think Varys would be too pleased with Jorah ruining Dany's assasination.

Plus everything KL hears about Daenerys and the dragons since then has just been sailors' tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Episode 8 is titled "The Mountain And The Viper" least we know whats going to happen that episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What week does it take a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

What week does it take a break?

Between episodes 7 (May 18th) and 8 (June 1st).

Between episodes 7 (May 18th) and 8 (June 1st).

noooo, this week to week thing is enough torture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Can somebody remind me what Sansa did or felt or understood when she heard Lysa confess all to Baelish in the books?

As in, did she comprehend that all the shíte her family went through was because they (baelish and Lysa) lied about who killed Jon Arryn?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

****e episode, very uncomfortable watching Tyrion suffer, Drogon scene was awesome though, the bath scene was creepier than the rape scene a few weeks ago. I am losing my patience with this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I thought this was one of the best episodes. Strong scene with Ser Davos at the Iron Bank, the bath scene between Reek and Ramsay was good, and the excellent court-room scene at the end. I even enjoyed a Daenerys scene (which is rare enough), when the son of the former Mereen master pleaded to be allowed bury his father's remains.

Didn't know about the break. That sucks! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

How can you say that episode was *****. It was a great episode, especially the last 20mins. If you're losing patience then best watch something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

One of the better episodes since the bastard king was killed :D also last minutes were great in court room,combined with ending music,reminded of last season when at weeding wife and mother son were killed when doors were shut ant that sorta sad music started. BTW does anyone know who is composer of the track being played at the end of episode or link to likes of youtube.thx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I thought that was the best episode of the season so far. Peter Dinklage's performance was absolutely fantastic! They can still have Shae in Tywin's bed after this episode so I'm happy about that too. The "unsullied" audience will surely lose sympathy for her too even if it's by her sheer stupidity to not understand what Tyrion did for her!

- Liam Cunningham really brings Davos to life too. I loved that scene and is a great addition to the show. Hopefully we won't see them again until they arrive at the wall :D Bravos looked epic.

- It was also good to see Dany's actions come back to bite her. Was it a sheep or was it the shepherd's child that was killed in the books by the dragon though? Although I don't recall Hizdhar zo loraq being so sympathetic in the book, although I assume it was an act to gain sympathy.

- A reminder that Jorah was initially a spy too in the small council.

- The Asha "rescue" attempt I'm not sure about but credit to Alfie Allen as he's doing a great job with Reek.

Anybody complaining about filler the past few episodes had better buckle up because starting with this episodes there's going to be more sh!t going down per episode than any tv show ever between now and episode 10 :D

Really liked the scene between Varys and Oberyn in that episode, Oberyn is a brilliant character can't wait to see the scrap against the Mountain, hope it's not too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

- It was also good to see Dany's actions come back to bite her. Was it a sheep or was it the shepherd's child that was killed in the books by the dragon though? Although I don't recall Hizdhar zo loraq being so sympathetic in the book, although I assume it was an act to gain sympathy.

It was the shepherds child that was killed in the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

- It was also good to see Dany's actions come back to bite her. Was it a sheep or was it the shepherd's child that was killed in the books by the dragon though?
    At first it was just sheep and Dany paid them off. Then the farmer came in with the bones of his child. We'll probably see her in a position next week where someone comes in with a bag of bones and she can't buy her way out of it. Then the dragons get locked up. Good luck to whoever tries to put a collar on Drogon!
    Although I don't recall Hizdhar zo loraq being so sympathetic in the book, although I assume it was an act to gain sympathy.
    What I remember from him was that he asked all the time to have the fighting pits reopened.
    - The Asha "rescue" attempt I'm not sure about but credit to Alfie Allen as he's doing a great job with Reek.
    That was bizarre. Theon and Asha weren't supposed to meet until much later, when Theon escaped with "Arya" and Asha was a captive of Stannis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

celica00 wrote: »
    It was the shepherds child that was killed in the book!

She had loads of shepherds coming to her for compensation first. AFAIR she offered three times the worth of the flock and she was counselled to ask for proof or she'd have all the shepherds in the land beating a path to her door so after that she said she needed to see the bones before she would compensate, which was why the shepherd brought her the bones of his child...at least that's how I remembered it. The scene with Drogon was amazing!

I'm really trying to separate the book from the tv show as its departed so much, especially with Theon and the Ironborn. It seems a bit late in the season for them to introduce Victorian and the Crows Eye and the Damphair storyline, I don't know where they're going with that but its interesting viewing. I thought Alfie Allen was brilliant as Reek- so much tension in that bath scene. He's so far gone I can't see him having the (metaphorical) balls to make off with 'Arya'/Jeyne, but maybe he'll get some of his confidence back at Moat Cailin? Are they trying to set Ramsey up as some kind of bad ass fighter being able to fight a load of armoured Ironmen barechested?

I'm not crazy about how they're really spelling out the poisoning of Joffery with the necklace and Ser Dontos' body. I'm guessing that Littlefinger left the necklace in the boat with the quirrell ridden Ser Dontos in order to implicate Sansa which ties it all up a bit better than in the books but surely it would have made more sense for them to have permanently disappeared them. One of the reasons they got away so neatly in the books is because everyone is searching the road for Sansa and Ser Dontos- if they know they escaped by boat and that Dontos was shot then it immediately becomes apparent that there's no point searching the surrounding villages and the kingsroad, and that Ser Dontos was obviously a small and dispensible fish in the escape plot. Just doesn't seem like Littlefinger's style. I did like Margery's obvious discomfort at the untruths in the trial, knowing what she knows, yet she has to make peace with letting someone innocent take the fall for her to become queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Davos is bad ass in the show - in the books I didn't warm to him until Dance With Dragons, but Liam Cunningham makes him so much more likeable.

Like the casting of Hizdhar Zo Loraq - couldn't stand him in the books, as with anyone involved in Dany's story, but the actors they have for Dany's scenes in the show, make them so much more bearable.

All the courtroom stuff at King's Landing was great, but Tyrion snapping at the end and his speech was great. Dinklage should really win all the awards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Felt a lump in my throat at the end. So powerful.

Very good episode. Thoroughly enjoyed the first 20 minutes as far as I remember, but the magnitude of the ending makes it difficult to remember the rest of the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I wonder when they're going to introduce Wyman Manderly...Liam Cunningham is going to kick some serious ass in those scenes. Easily some of the best chapters in the book IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I wonder when they're going introduce Wyman Manderly...Liam Cunningham is going to kick some serious ass in those scenes. Easily some of the chapters in the book IMO.

I love Wyman Manderly!! I'd love if they cast Brian Blessed in the role, but that might be down to the fact that I love Brian Blessed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wyman Manderly, ya, really hope he isn't cut from next season!

Plus, his scenes are full of Freys, and we all love to hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Wyman Manderly, ya, really hope he isn't cut from next season!

Plus, his scenes are full of Freys, and we all love to hate them!

Also, Frey pie!! I hope they leave that in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Enjoyed the episode.

Peter Dinklage's speech at the end was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Great episode, only problem was it was too bloody short. The Dragon effects looked excellent and so did Bravos. Davos, Tyrion and The Viper were the standout performances. I prefer an episode which fleshes out a big event rather than hopping to each story line and giving us a little top up.

The most heart-wrenching emotional line...

"The strangler, a poison that few of us possess and used to strike down the most noble child the gods ever put on this good Earth!"

#Justice4Joff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Ser Meryn was very brave giving that testimony. He really didn't have to.

#Justice4Joff

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Really enjoyed that. Such a powerful performance from Peter Dinklage...he'll be making room on his trophy cabinet after that!

Alfie Allen is also playing a blinder. Really impressed with his portrayal of Reek, very difficult to watch (in a good way).

I imagine they put that scene in with Yara as a bit of filler to remind viewers that she's part of the story. It wouldn't have made sense to not have her appear in the season at all considering we saw her leave the Iron Islands at the end of last season in search of her brother.

Can't wait for The Mountain v Oberyn.

Only downside of the episode for me was Dany/Emilia Clarke. Not sure whether I find the character or the acting more irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Non readers are really confused about the trial by combat:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Blay wrote: »
    Non readers are really confused about the trial by combat:pac:

Really enjoying their musings this week! Only one person so far thinks it will be The Mountain and Oberyn!

Advertisement