Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sold lambs today in kk mart had 43 got €115 was goin to bring them home felt I gave them away , brought in 10 49 kg lambs for neighbour he got €131

Yeah, but your neighbours must have had their heads in a creep feeder, how much more did he really make?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, but your neighbours must have had their heads in a creep feeder, how much more did he really make?

No meal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Six lambs tonight, 40kg live weight, €107.

What mart was that?
    Haven't been out in a while, is trade slow

Golden Vale Carrigallen. only one main buyer tonight.

Golden Vale Carrigallen. only one main buyer tonight.

Was thinking it was.
    Brady helps trade alright.
    Was there much lambs, stores will start to come out soon

• Advertisement

small turnout. perhaps 120 fat lambs, or thereabouts. plus lots of small or single lots of ewes etc. Saw older ewes sold about the forty mark, with some big fat ones at 105. mountainy ewes with a lamb, about 80. Someone had a pen of older greyface ewes and two Jacobs included, didn't hang around to see them sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Farrell wrote: »
    Was thinking it was.
    Brady helps trade alright.
    Was there much lambs, stores will start to come out soon

Reckon more likely lynch than Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Our local Mart (Ashford) has just closed. Was really handy as only a 10 minute drive down the road. Now I'm going to have to cross the mountains to either Blessington or Baltingglass. An hours drive each way. I find that after about 15 minutes in a trailer, some of the sheep start to lie down and end up covered in their own ****e. Not ideal especially when trying to sell as breeding stock.

[Reckon more likely lynch than Brady]

"The Shepard".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Never heard him called that, he'll not get excited anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Six lambs tonight, 40kg live weight, €107.

That's all right money Nek - assuming they didn't have any meal.
    EDIT : Just to be nosey, but when were they born?
    Sold lambs today in kk mart had 43 got €115 was goin to bring them home felt I gave them away , brought in 10 49 kg lambs for neighbour he got €131

I think 115 for 43kg is good Eddie. The price will only be falling from now on I think, so they might be heavier the next day you go back with em, they could still only make the same money or less...

This it isnt it - how much money did they leave.
    I sold early lambs this year, put up prices earlier in the thread. First lot made about 99 / head I reckon after creep, second lot only made about 95 after paying for the ration they ate :(

Didn't creep feed any lambs, grass plentiful and am a bit under stocked anyway. Born sometime in middle of March. There was a very fancy batch of lambs there last night, 19 in total, looked to have been got in dry (ten minutes of torrential downpour here yesterday evening) and almost appeared to have been combed. 45kg, he was getting 119 euro but didn't take it, I headed home before the re-runs so perhaps he got more.

Didn't creep feed any lambs, grass plentiful and am a bit under stocked anyway. Born sometime in middle of March.

That's very good growth...

40kg at ~12 weeks, assuming 4 - 5kg when born, is almost 3kg / week.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Forgot to say got 105 for 5 cast ewes and 110 for a old Texel ram

That's very good growth...

40kg at ~12 weeks, assuming 4 - 5kg when born, is almost 3kg / week.

Lambs are weighing better this year that same point last year.
    Grass is probably of better quality

eh, could be a week of two older, I admit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

7 lambs Monday at mart 44kg for 108 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

jfh wrote: »
    7 lambs Monday at mart 44kg for 108 euro

What Mart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

offered €5.85 for Friday, sorting them to morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

What Mart?

Six mile bridge, guy collects

• Advertisement

Prices seem to be holding up. Although the best of my lambs are only reaching 30kg now. Will be a while before I am going to the mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

arctictree wrote: »
    Prices seem to be holding up. Although the best of my lambs are only reaching 30kg now. Will be a while before I am going to the mart.

Weighed one batch yesterday, average age 77days,average weight 30kg, which is a little better than athenry is doing according to yesterdays journal, so happy enough.
    From now on is when the thrive will slow, weaning, grass quality dropping .....the mystery of lamb thrive,!!!!!

rangler1 wrote: »
    Weighed one batch yesterday, average age 77days,average weight 30kg, which is a little better than athenry is doing according to yesterdays journal, so happy enough.
    From now on is when the thrive will slow, weaning, grass quality dropping .....the mystery of lamb thrive,!!!!!

I weighed mine there at the bank holiday...

Average age 70 days, average weight 27kg. Not too bad I guess, but I have a few light ones, one or two of em look like the kinda ones I'll be looking at for a long time yet :(

I weighed mine there at the bank holiday...

Average age 70 days, average weight 27kg. Not too bad I guess, but I have a few light ones, one or two of em look like the kinda ones I'll be looking at for a long time yet :(

That's a good weight too, it'd be ahead of the figures in the journal too. if I could do it every year I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Got €5.80/kg for today in Camolin. Made the deal through an agent that works with Baltinglass mart, I can give anyone his contact details if they're interested

sako 85 wrote: »
    Got €5.80/kg for today in Camolin. Made the deal through an agent that works with Baltinglass mart, I can give anyone his contact details if they're interested

Did you try Kildare, heard they are giving more, might be just pub talk

rangler1 wrote: »
    Did you try Kildare, heard they are giving more, might be just pub talk

Didn't try Kildare, never been there to be honest, used to go to kepak hacketstown. must try Kildare next time, there's not much difference in journey time for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Did anyone put lambs on the lorry in hacketstown?

sako 85 wrote: »

How many did you sell? Was thinking of going through an agent next time myself as my local Mart has closed (Ashford) but I only have small numbers. Maybe a dozen or so.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not Ashford was also my local Mart and I see you live near the same place as I do. I wouldn't worry about numbers at all, I only had 8 spring lambs and 8 cast ewes. It was the first time I had used this particular agent but he was very happy to get the call. As he said himself the more people that go through him the more bargaining power he will have.

Advertisement