Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passwords. Passwords everywhere... sick of them!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

That's a bad idea, all it would take would be for one of your passwords to be compromised for them all to be be compromised. You may as well not bother with the change at all as it provides neglible benefit.

I thought as much. If it was a great idea, everyone would be doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I use hunter2 on crappy sites that i just need a quick thing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

uch wrote: »
    https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Check how secure your Password is.

Oh Wow....
    That is just GENIUS...

I am absolutely starting one of those sites..

"please just insert your password here...
    Then your email address...

We promise to mail you a detailed report of exactly just how secure your account details are."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just make 5-10 different passwords. then start compounding them for the more important stuff. boards gets its own pass, other forums all have their own, then gmail password is like 40 characters long because its a mix of all those passwords one after another, and paypal then is a different order of that, with an extra bit on the end..

Passwords are only as good as your recovery questions. If your first dogs name doesn't have at least 3 special characters, you're doing it wrong

I have two main "base" passwords one for work and one that I use for everything else, similar to another poster I just add the base password to the name of the site I'm using it on to make the password different for all sites.

It might not be overly secure but its too much effort and too easy to forget of I have different passwords for everything.

Online baking also has a different one alright obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have four different words and number sequences that I assemble in different ways, with variations in capitalization. There are still too many possible variants so it catches me out sometimes, but most times I can remember what way I put them together for a particular site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Paddy_R wrote: »
    That should do!

howsecureismypassword =
    It would take a desktop PC about
    4 trillion years
    to crack your password

Jolly good then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I used to use the same password for everything except for online banking. I knew it was very poor practice but I couldn't bring myself to make loads of different passwords that I'd never remember. I bought 1password a few weeks ago and it's brilliant, I only need one password for the app, and along with icloud keychain I've got very secure passwords for everything and I'll never need to remember them. Great app!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

gufnork wrote: »
    howsecureismypassword =
    4 trillion years
    to crack your password

Jolly good then...

5 quadrillion years
    to crack your password

I don't even know how long that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

howsecureismypassword =
    4 trillion years
    to crack your password

Jolly good then...

But if Moore's Law holds and you don't change your password, that will be down to only 500 million in less than 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

jester77 wrote: »
    I have one password and a password manager. Makes life easier and is more secure as the passwords it generates are one off and a mix of 20 characters, numbers and special characters. Have a look at 1password (my favaourite) or lastpass.
    Ditto - I use Keepass X, save the encrypted file in the Dropbox folder, it gets synced to my phone, and it loads in the Keepass app on there too. I should start using it at work too, the number of systems we have to use and remember is insane.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Passwords are only as good as your recovery questions. If your first dogs name doesn't have at least 3 special characters, you're doing it wrong

Where were you born: Yellow
    What's your favourite colour: Trampoline
    Your mother's maiden name: Timbuktu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I gave up years ago, acquired a notebook and keep it in an out-of-the-way place in my house with an up-to-date list of all passwords.

Have lost count of the amount of passwords I need - in work at one point I needed three - one of which had to be changed every 4 weeks, one every 8 weeks and one ever 3 months. And they wouldn't let you use a word even similar to one you'd used in the previous 12 months. My head was melted with it - and that was just work!

I mostly use variations of the same two words, with numbers/capitals/repeats as required.

If anyone ever finds that notebook, I'm a gonner :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

My passwords are stored in a .doc file. It's currently just over 8 pages long, single spaced.

My passwords are stored in a .doc file. It's currently just over 8 pages long, single spaced.

But what happens if you have a brainstorm and forget the password to get into wherever that .doc file is stored :eek:

Pen n paper is yer only man!

(until it's found, or falls into the fire, obviously)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

Well, there are really good applications you can use that SAVES the passwords, AUTO FILLS the passwords + login and even manage all the passwords,accounts,etc.. And its fun to use too, you can install extensions to it..

and it can even manage the bank sites,etc.

Program:
    stickypassword.com/
    Now, its a trail or something but I think if you google it you can get an free offer on it ;):D (if you get the offer free ;) then make sure you scan for reviews,etc and make sure your getting one of the newest versions... such as 7.0.5 .... .

google: Sticky Password 7.0.5.31 .. or download it from the official site..

another app;
    agilebits.com/onepassword

That'll do! ;)
    It would take a desktop PC about 9 quindecillion years to crack your password

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But what happens if you have a brainstorm and forget the password to get into wherever that .doc file is stored :eek:

Pen n paper is yer only man!

(until it's found, or falls into the fire, obviously)
    look up Sticky Password or 1password .... they auto save your password, + AUTO login (fill) so you DON'T EVEN HAVE TOO TYPE YOUR username or password + you can view all your logins + more + browser extension + even more, google this "Sticky Password" , mac user "1password"

Timmehhh wrote: »
    look up Sticky Password or 1password .... they auto save your password, + AUTO login (fill) so you DON'T EVEN HAVE TOO TYPE YOUR username or password + you can view all your logins + more + browser extension + even more, google this "Sticky Password" , mac user "1password"

eh.... thanks, but no thanks!

It would take a desktop PC about 4 octillion sexagintillion years to crack your password

It gets a bit silly when you stick in a lot of random stuff.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    eh.... thanks, but no thanks!

hmmm, no ....

I don't care ,but may I ask why the no thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

KeePass and Dropbox for free.

http://johnwatne.no-ip.biz/?p=491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

It gets a bit silly when you stick in a lot of random stuff.

Give her more ram and she will handle anything then.

Thankfully I've only had to change my work password twice in the last 5 years and I just changed the number on the end.

It would annoy the hell out of me having to change it regularly.

Just use an md5 hash tool and your password becomes 994292055d6a1a9b21f61e03bd4b577c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    It's mad how boards blocks out your password when you type it: ********

When I quote your post I can see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Pfft, big fuss about nothing. I have one password for everything - Me1234. Keeps things simple.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paddy_R wrote: »
    That should do!
    The ZeroAccess botnet had about 1.9m computers in it so that 64,000 years is just 12 days.

GPU's add a speed up of about 100 depending
    Algorithm flaws offer speedups too

And of course Rainbow Tables means that unless the site uses effective salting the 12 days of cracking can be done in advance.

And password crackers use formulas based on dictionaries and common combinations, most people use the capital or number or special character as the first or last letter, some numbers are more popular.

But the bigger speedups are that the 64,000 years is only for truly random passwords. . Forcing complex passwords has meant that passswords are harder to type and remember but have only increased complexity from passsword (no bot nets, no GPU's few speedups) to Password1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Oh Wow....
    That is just GENIUS...

I am absolutely starting one of those sites..

"please just insert your password here...
    Then your email address...

We promise to mail you a detailed report of exactly just how secure your account details are."

:D
    That's how Facebook started. Seriously. I'm still shocked that they actually got away with it.

And leopards don't change their spots.

• Advertisement

The ZeroAccess botnet had about 1.9m computers in it so that 64,000 years is just 12 days.

GPU's add a speed up of about 100 depending
    Algorithm flaws offer speedups too

And of course Rainbow Tables means that unless the site uses effective salting the 12 days of cracking can be done in advance.

And password crackers use formulas based on dictionaries and common combinations, most people use the capital or number or special character as the first or last letter, some numbers are more popular.

But the bigger speedups are that the 64,000 years is only for truly random passwords. . Forcing complex passwords has meant that passswords are harder to type and remember but have only increased complexity from passsword (no bot nets, no GPU's few speedups) to Password1

:confused:

Is that what Swahili looks like when written down?

:confused::confused:

Advertisement