Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passwords. Passwords everywhere... sick of them!

Options
  • 09-05-2014 1:45pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just counted how many passwords I need to remember. It's getting ridiculous. I came up with 21. TWENTY ONE FLIPPIN PASSWORDS:

Work: 6
    Pers. mail: 3
    Boards.ie and the likes: 3
    Money/bills (banking, BB, amazon, etc.): 7
    FB, daft: 2

I've given up. Life's too short. I remember 9. The rest I just reset every time I need them.

The ones that do my head in are the ones that are clearly there so the website can count users etc. for ads purposes.

How are ye all coping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My password for everything is 'Forgot Password?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I've none, I never use the internet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

21? Thats not that many at all :P

In work I have at least 50+ to remember.
    Forums: Roughly 25
    Social Networking: 4/5
    Banking: 2
    Bills: 2
    Codes for Gates Etc: 15
    Online Shops: 20+

Theres probably a lot more. Most of the time I cant even remember what I done a few hours ago but every last password I use sticks in my brain for some reason haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was fixing a problem on my Dads computer and he needed a password for something eReader related. He couldn't remember it and then said "you're probably gonna kill me when you see this". He opened a word document hidden deep in the file directory that had a list of all his site logins and passwords. To be honest, I couldn't give out to him as there are far worse things he could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have one password and a password manager. Makes life easier and is more secure as the passwords it generates are one off and a mix of 20 characters, numbers and special characters. Have a look at 1password (my favaourite) or lastpass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I use LastPass for most of non-important ones like Daft and Adverts and some forums. Handy little tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The best thing to do is write them all down on a piece of old fashioned paper and put it somewhere safe in your house. Secure passwords are important because of the risk of them being cracked electronically. It's highly unlikely that anyone is going to search your home for passwords to online sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I only have a couple that I rotate for different sites. Makes it easier to remember that its one of 5 rather than 1 of 50.

I also really like the boards automatic password detector which masks passwords that people inadvertently type like *********
    really cool safety feature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I run the password off the username, the username off the ID number and the ID number off the password.
    Never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I generally use the same password for everything.... I have loads of accounts on loads of websites though. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for LastPass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Check how secure your Password is.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I use the same ones for a lot of the less important sites. I might start using LastPass for these.

I use 2 step verification for the more important sites (where possible). An 'Authenticator' app on my phone generates a specific code (which changes every 30 seconds or so) which must be entered when logging in from a different computer. Am no expert but it seems like a pretty good system to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What drives me mad is having to change my password in work every 8 weeks or so.

It can't be a password I've used before. I've been here 6 years and have run out of new ideas!

uch wrote: »

It would take a desktop PC about
    25 thousand years
    to crack your password

That should do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I can deal with most but Verified by Visa bugs the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

For some reason I just can't bring myself to trust sites like that, I always think of them as a way of collating a list of commonly used passwords (not that we need it any more).
    o1s1n wrote: »
    What drives me mad is having to change my password in work every 8 weeks or so.

It can't be a password I've used before. I've been here 6 years and have run out of new ideas!

Have you tried just incrementing the number by 1, eg Mypet'sname[n+1] (Making sure the first letter is uppercase of course). :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I have no idea whether this is a safe method, but most of my passwords are the same, barring two unique letters at the front. So, Tw******* for Twitter, Fb******* for Facebook etc.

sadie06 wrote: »
    I have no idea whether this is a safe method, but most of my passwords are the same, barring two unique letters at the front. So, Tw******* for Twitter, Fb******* for Facebook etc.

Probably less safe now that you posted it... :)

I'd imagine if someone cracked one, say your facebook one, it wouldn't be rocket science to figure out the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

It's mad how boards blocks out your password when you type it: ********

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Apparently, it would take a desktop PC 64,000 years to break my password...

Of course a GPU based cracker would have it in about 5 seconds...but hey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Good idea actually.

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Probably less safe now that you posted it... :)

The body of it is so random, I'd like to think I'm ok, but I could be fooling myself! :-)

That's a bad idea, all it would take would be for one of your passwords to be compromised for them all to be be compromised. You may as well not bother with the change at all as it provides neglible benefit.
    B_Rabbit wrote: »
    It's mad how boards blocks out your password when you type it: ********

That's gas: ****************************

Very considerate of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

My password is generally the same for everything except a capital letter here or there or a number added or left out. Depends on the site's requirements.

Also I use my favourite Italian word for my personal email. Not hard to remember at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Are we not all still using 1234????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I use the configurable pwgen add on for Firefox to create secure passwords and have one master password then on Firefox. I know this is just for websites, but if it helps someone...

nc19 wrote: »
    Are we not all still using 1234????

Most places need a minimum of 8 characters nowadays.

My password is generally the same for everything except a capital letter here or there or a number added or left out. Depends on the site's requirements.

Also I use my favourite Italian word for my personal email. Not hard to remember at all.

principessa

That's my guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Good idea actually.
    Not really. If the site/password is compromised, it wouldn't take a genius to work out what your other passwords are likely to be. It needs to be reasonably random, or just use a password manager as mentioned above
    It's also not very hard to crack either. Dictionary attacks (i.e. trying every word in the dictionary in various languages) are extremely common.
    Paddy_R wrote: »
    That should do!
    heh,
    It would take a desktop PC about
    763 nonillion years
    to crack your password

Advertisement