Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power rangers movie reboot

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This was terrible. It has that horrible, downbeat, suicidal tone, like the Fantastic Four reboot. They don't even appear as the Rangers for over 75% of the film. The final CGI battle comes, they play rap music or something, more fake-looking CGI, and the black autistic kid says, "Come at me, bro!". Ugh. I was begging for it to end for the last 20 minutes.

Then they tease Tommy The Green Ranger, for a sequel that won't be made, (unless the toy sales are incredibly good), because it flopped at the box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It seems to be a bit polarising. While I wasn't mad about some of the acting, the cast as a whole really developed that family vibe well. I understand the F4 comparison but that cast could only dream of having the chemistry of the cast here.

The final 30 mins or so was fun in a ludicrous kind of way. To go from developing a somewhat serious retelling of the Rangers to blasting out the theme song in its campy glory was a gut punch tonally I started laughing. I wasn't even annoyed.

A shame that there probably won't be a sequel. When people are still going to the sinking ship that is the Carribean films yet ignore a bold effort like this, you have to wonder.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally got to see this after waiting a while. I must say I did enjoy it. I thought the cast were great, and I very much liked the darker tone which I think worked really well. I agree with some of the criticism I've seen though that the tone was inconsistent, in places it was very dark and in others it was upbeat and cheesy, overall I think it would've worked better with the emphasis more on the darker tone. Overall I thought it was very good, a very clever re-imagining of the original movie and I think it's a shame its performed poorly in the box office.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Saw this last night, better than expected but still holds some nostalgia for me, didnt think the Zords were all that though, they seemed a bit ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ye the zords were awful. No sense of scale, awe or wonder about them, and the mystical feel they had from the show was also gone. It felt as if they were thrown in for the sake of it as an afterthought. Also, the trex should have been similar in size and scale to Goldar, the only zord of the original 5 that can go toe to toe with the monsters by itself

The rest of the film was solid enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

New Power Rangers Movie Is Officially Happening at Hasbro
    Is Power Rangers 2 happening or not? We're definitely getting a new movie, but whether or not it's a direct sequel is a little foggy at this point. A new Power Rangers movie is officially in development from Hasbro. The toy company recently purchased Power Rangers, as well as several other properties, in a massive $520 million deal. That has put the future of the franchise in new hands and Hasbro isn't wasting too much time getting the ball rolling. Now, thanks to a new report, it's been confirmed that they are in the early stages of developing what is described as a follow-up to 2017's Power Rangers.

The news comes from Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner, who was providing a general update on how the company is handling Power Rangers as the transition gets going. Goldner revealed that there will be a "transitional" period starting in 2019 where they will release "new entertainment content and licensed products." He also revealed that Power Rangers will generate a profit similar to that of their other franchise brands, but that this one has a "significant opportunity for growth given where the brand had been most recently."

Part of that growth will come in the form of another big screen movie, as it is being reported that "Hasbro will work with a film studio to develop a new Power Rangers movie as a follow-up to the 2017 release." That wording is quite specific, but also frustratingly vague. Hasbro has a major deal with Paramount Pictures, which now has Allspark Pictures developing movies using the toy company's catalog of merchandise. That now includes Power Rangers. The previous Power Rangers movie was made with Lionsgate. While it's said that this is a follow-up it doesn't explicitly say much else, leaving it up to speculation for now as to what form that could take. It could very well be a soft reboot of some kind. At this point, it's difficult to say.

The fact of the matter is that Hasbro would be building off of something that wasn't terribly successful, if they actually wanted to make Power Rangers 2. The movie grossed just $144 million, working from a $100 million budget. It also sits at a measly 45 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning that it wasn't some critical darling that was tragically ignored by the moviegoing masses. Looking at the numbers at least, a reboot of some kind might make more sense. The entire Power Rangers TV series is predicated on the idea of constant soft reboots that introduce entirely new casts that exist in the same universe. Hasbro could do something similar on the movie side of things.

Last year's Power Rangers movie absolutely set up a sequel and teased the arrival of the Green Ranger in a movie that didn't get going in the wake of the box office results. Hasbro is now in control and they're going to want to capitalize on their investment. Whatever form that ultimately takes, fans can rest easy knowing that there is more mighty morphin action on the way. We'll be sure to keep you up to date as more details on the project are made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked the first one. So would watch a second. Maybe the next one will have them hunting crystals of the Zeo variety.

And i was a wee bit disappointed the CEO isn't called Brian Goldar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

I'd watch it.

I even quite enjoyed the first one but I found the tone quite inconsistent throughout. At times, they went for the old campy 90s Power Rangers style and in other places they went for the dark gritty reboot feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Go, go, Power Rangers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

cena wrote: »
    A reboot of a reboot is never a good sign.

I think it's just 15 or 20 years too late for a relevant Power Rangers movie TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Power Rangers Reboot in Development, Will Be Set in the '90s
    There's a new Power Rangers film on the way, set to try and set the course straight for the fan-favorite franchise. According to a new report from THR, Paramount is rebooting the franchise with a new feature from Jonathan Entwistle, creator of Netflix's The End of the F***ing World. Unlike the 2017 reboot of the same name from Lionsgate, the new Power Rangers film has found a home at Paramount and is set to feature a "time travel element" which will take the characters back to the 1990s. Patrick Burleigh (Peter Rabbit 2) is currently writing the script.

This will mark the first film for the franchise after being purchased by Hasbro last year. At the time, the toy giant reportedly purchased the iconic brand for a staggering $522 million. The latest film in the franchise, Dean Israelite's 2017 reboot, was a critical and commercial flop. Developed by Lionsgate, it was initially set to be the first of a franchise before going on to gross just $147m worldwide, $85.36m of which came domestically.

ELs-6doXUAA-LqU?format=jpg&name=small

This iteration of the Power Rangers franchise will be just another notch on the belt of movies produced with Hasbro and Paramount. The two companies have recently relaunched the Transformers franchise with Bumblebee and are currently working on Snake Eyes and Micronauts.

Despite being under Hasbro for just a short time, Brian Golden — chief executive for the toymaker — explained earlier this year he was pleased with the toyline's performance in the marketplace.

"Sure. Well, the launch of POWER RANGERS is starting in North America," Goldner said. "The line launch there. We had some products ship in Q1, but limited. It will roll out in the subsequent quarters, both in North America and around the world. I'm very pleased with the ratings of the new show. It's a ratings leader in its time slot. It's offering a very strong lead out. And Nickelodeon's been a very good partner and helping us to market the new series. The team has done a great job in producing this transition from Saban to our own studio has been seamless, and I give the team a lot of credit for producing such a high quality show that's really beloved by kids and improved in a number of ways from the last production. So we're, obviously, very excited about POWER RANGERS, not only for this year, 9 months, but for 2020 as we'll have a full year impact. So very good there."

Advertisement