Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Second batch official!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Batman91 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what the NI allowance is?

a random guess would be that its a form of hazard pay because of the higher risk that police officers in ni face compared to the rest of the uk, again i say, its just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

I think it's around 3k pa

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I thought the ni allowance was a payment officers who moved up here from ROI/another country got to help them relocate etc. could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I believe the NI allowance is provided so police officers don't incur the extra costs of travelling due to essentially not being allowed to live where they work. There's probably an element of 'danger money' to it too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

.S. wrote: »
    I thought the ni allowance was a payment officers who moved up here from ROI/another country got to help them relocate etc. could be wrong though

The money is not to relocate us .......... it's actually for elocution lessons :D haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I think it's just over 3k for the NI environmental allowance, when it was the NI transitional allowance it was working out at 2.8k a year and that was prior to the changes to the NI environmental allowance which was from 07 I think, which as far as I remember being told seen a slight increase in money and other perks if you can call them that.

I've always been led to believe it's to compensate for varying routes to and from your station to avoid complacency incase your tailed by terrorists. You'll find a few will have their homes reinforced with bulletproof glass windows and blast proof doors as well as cameras, for extra security, things like that. I think it's untaxed too, but could be wrong, so works out at a couple hundred quid extra a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

I think it's just over 3k for the NI environmental allowance, when it was the NI transitional allowance it was working out at 2.8k a year and that was prior to the changes to the NI environmental allowance which was from 07 I think, which as far as I remember being told seen a slight increase in money and other perks if you can call them that.

I've always been led to believe it's to compensate for varying routes to and from your station to avoid complacency incase your tailed by terrorists. You'll find a few will have their homes reinforced with bulletproof glass windows and blast proof doors as well as cameras, for extra security, things like that. I think it's untaxed too, but could be wrong, so works out at a couple hundred quid extra a month.

Excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered but does everyone get this allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Constablemaybe

Excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered but does everyone get this allowance?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Oh great, I didn't think we all did! Apparently after April 2015 the starting pay drops to £19k so I'm hoping I'll manage to get in before then (needless to say I'm not in the second batch, just nosey!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

.S. wrote: »
    Oh great, I didn't think we all did! Apparently after April 2015 the starting pay drops to £19k so I'm hoping I'll manage to get in before then (needless to say I'm not in the second batch, just nosey!)

I think that was a worry in the circumstance that most of the Winsor reforms were implemented here. As far as my understanding goes, negotiations have been ongoing for some time with the PNB about implementing Winsor over here. It was concluded recently with 'no detrimental change to pensionable pay'. Check it out on page 5 below:

http://www.policefed-ni.org.uk/AnnualConference2014/Chairmans-Speech-2014.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

sorry folks - can i just check....I cant find any info on this payment anywhere -- did you get the info from current officers? or is it on any pay info online??
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

vickmackey wrote: »
    sorry folks - can i just check....I cant find any info on this payment anywhere -- did you get the info from current officers? or is it on any pay info online??
    cheers

It's paid from the day you start in G'ville. Think it's like 251 quid a month or something. We haven't got a form or anything but every officer is given it.

sorry to ask about this again, but i cant find anything on this -- is it definitely still paid? - only thing i can find relates to prison service:confused:

Jb12345 wrote: »
    It's paid from the day you start in G'ville. Think it's like 251 quid a month or something. We haven't got a form or anything but every officer is given it.
    sorry, just saw this ....very interesting!! as if didnt want the job enough already!....every little helps;)
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

How are we all gearing up folks? Kit assembled? Studying away? Everyone still excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

Thank you folks for all your help.I have deferred to the next intake to prepare myself and my daughter.thanks to everyone who put my mind at ease.looking forward to being colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

This time next week will be an interesting time guys! Do we have to go in suited and booted again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Hey guys just wondering what way you guys are revising?
    I've been going over the knowledge checks and the content with it just

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

student15 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering what way you guys are revising?
    I've been going over the knowledge checks and the content with it just

There's an awful lot to go over and its melting my head im worried that im might fail first exam. Theres also the pre read on interviews. If this is a taster of whats to come then god help us.

There's an awful lot to go over and its melting my head im worried that im might fail first exam. Theres also the pre read on interviews. If this is a taster of whats to come then god help us.

Thats the stuff to learn. Dont panic about failing. You fail, you fail. Learn from it. Will make more sense when we get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 StuckWaiting

Yeah head is melted with what to revise!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

Surely this first exam is just to make sure we have an overall understanding of all the pre course stuff? Couldn't be that in depth? So much stuff to keep going
    Over and over!! Next stop hotel G!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StuckWaiting

Yeah that's what I'm thinking (hoping)! Any idea if the they'll be including such as the data protection act or the protective marking stuff?

Really can't wait for it now, getting majorly excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

There's so much to try and learn it's mental lol anyone feel like screaming yet haha trying to cram as much in as I can and get organised. Stressful but excited too. Finally a career and not some meaningless job.
    Everyone love mnemonics yet? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

Banti wrote: »
    Surely this first exam is just to make sure we have an overall understanding of all the pre course stuff? Couldn't be that in depth? So much stuff to keep going
    Over and over!! Next stop hotel G!!

I like your way of thinking. I've built this up in my head that it's going to be like a mensa exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'm not I your position yet but I remember it in the recruitment info somewhere that you'll get the exam and if you don't pass they DONT kick you out. They just "place sanctions" on you. The worst you could get is to be grounded lol!! Feels like we'll be back to school lol. Good luck anyway. There's probably more sunk in than you think

Folks in terms of casual clothes for after hours. Where trackie bottoms and hoodies ok if anyone can remember or was it smart casual?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

Folks in terms of casual clothes for after hours. Where trackie bottoms and hoodies ok if anyone can remember or was it smart casual?

Go for sports casual, Alan Partridge style

CDizzle wrote: »
    Go for sports casual, Alan Partridge style

Ah Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Back of the net!

Advertisement