Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

beauf wrote: »
    Same here last year.

They know there's a large % of customers who won't leave despite putting in a cancellation.
    The more people that cancel, the better the offers to stay for others should be but they know the alternatives are limited for a lot of people and are playing hardball.
    I had Virgin, cancelled it, they didn't come back with any offers so I let it stand and moved.
    Was sick of paying them double what others were charging for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

duffman13 wrote: »
    I have to say they are getting worse to deal with, really is shocking! Have cancelled at this stage and signed up as a new customer, want the new box and little in the way of alternatives in my area for BB. Sooner the better a bit of competition hits the market. Charging €110 a month and a new customer deal available for 12 months at 69 a month rising to 92. Reps ive dealt with have been awful

I didn't know you can cancel and sign up again.. same name and details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I didn't know you can cancel and sign up again.. same name and details?

Usually a partner...same address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

This thread is reminding me; they've sent me a number of texts, few emails too & had at least one missed call from them last week to return their equipment; it's the Hub 2.0 box; I got a new one to try resolve any issues (it didn't; nothing has; they're saying it's my laptop that it's too old; strange then that it was fine up to approx. 1st of September......) so now I've to return it by Parcel Motel.

What're penalties if I keep forgetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

So I called them today and they told me the absolute best I could get is 6 months half price BB/TV/Phone for 44.50 p/m then 89 for the final 6m. Works out a little bit cheaper than the new customer offer of 69 p/m for - coming in at 66.75 p/m.

Reckon it's worth taking or calling again to try persuade 9 months 1/2 price. I see someone else got it a few pages back.

Last year I told them I'd cancel, and the lad on the phone was like ' okay, please give your verbal confirmation of notice to cancel and I will proceed with the request"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

So I called them today and they told me the absolute best I could get is 6 months half price BB/TV/Phone for 44.50 p/m then 89 for the final 6m. Works out a little bit cheaper than the new customer offer of 69 p/m for - coming in at 66.75 p/m.

Reckon it's worth taking or calling again to try persuade 9 months 1/2 price. I see someone else got it a few pages back.

Last year I told them I'd cancel, and the lad on the phone was like ' okay, please give your verbal confirmation of notice to cancel and I will proceed with the request"

I normally don't get as far as cancelling in the annual dance but did for my father's account about a month ago. The bloke I was talking to didn't see particularly bothered whether I cancelled or not. I called back a few days after and got a much better deal, think it can be down to who you get tbh. I have to do my own in a few weeks and am not particularly looking forward to it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

robbe wrote: »
    I normally don't get as far as cancelling in the annual dance but did for my father's account about a month ago. The bloke I was talking to didn't see particularly bothered whether I cancelled or not. I called back a few days after and got a much better deal, think it can be down to who you get tbh. I have to do my own in a few weeks and am not particularly looking forward to it.......

Yeah, I did the 'are you happy to lose me as a customer" last year and the lad on the phone was like yeah - pure called my bluff. Then just transferred the account to my dad's name so technically he was a new customer and got the better offer.

I might call them back in a few days and see what the story is.

Anyone heard anything about Vodafone, they're offering 1GB in my area for 55p/m with phone and limited TV channels, but everything is online these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

After two phone calls to the 061 number I managed to get 6 months half price broadband only (250mb) - €29.50 for 6 months and €59.00 for the last six months.

I was going to try to get 9 months but I honestly hadn’t to patience to hold out.

I’m happy enough though as their broadband is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I know I've seen a few posts here complaining about Virgin Media charging after cancellation. This will probably apply to a lot of customers.
    More than 100,000 Virgin Media Ireland customers are to be refunded following a ComReg investigation into post-cancellation charges.

Following a recent investigation, ComReg has said that Virgin Media Ireland owes refunds to more than 100,000 of its customers.

According to the telecoms regulator, Virgin Media was continuing to charge customers after they cancelled their service subscriptions. Instead of proactively refunding the customers, the company kept the funds in inactive accounts and would only issue a refund if the customer requested it.

ComReg said that during a customer’s final month on contract with Virgin Media, they would receive a bill as normal. This could include monthly recurring charges that extend beyond the cancellation date and that the company collects as part of that bill.

The watchdog found that more than 140,000 customers had paid post-cancellation charges since 1 September 2014 and that more than 107,000 have not yet been refunded.

Virgin Media Ireland customers owed €3m in refunds

Great to see ComReg enforcing this, probably a few people here receiving a refund on their bills in the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Great to see ComReg enforcing this, probably a few people here receiving a refund on their bills in the next few weeks.

Its the findings of an investigation- it is not an enforcement order, Comreg do not have the powers to enforce any findings on anyone. Virgin could ignore this to their little heart's content, with absolutely zero implications (other than reputational damage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Its the findings of an investigation- it is not an enforcement order, Comreg do not have the powers to enforce any findings on anyone. Virgin could ignore this to their little heart's content, with absolutely zero implications (other than reputational damage).

Sorry, didn't include the last paragraph of the quoted text. I was referring to seeking a court order to stop this happening in the future.
    Its investigation concluded that Virgin Media Ireland had breached sections of the Communications Regulation Act 2002. On that basis, ComReg said it would seek a High Court restraining order requiring the company to stop this practice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sorry, didn't include the last paragraph of the quoted text. I was referring to seeking a court order to stop this happening in the future.

I hear you.
    However- what I was suggesting stands- Comreg, as it is currently constituted, is a toothless regulator, who critically need to have enforcement powers ascribed to them- its a travesty that they are powerless in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I know I've seen a few posts here complaining about Virgin Media charging after cancellation. This will probably apply to a lot of customers.

It gets worse. I cancelled my service and asked for a refund of my credit balance. I was told that it will take 5 weeks and they will send a cheque ( what use is that when my bank is KBC and it's a pain to take a cheque ). They should be fined and forced to refund customers the same way they pay i.e. Direct Debit refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Good to see Comreg act on companies who do not give refunds to exiting customers. Hopefully Comeg will go after Eir next. There is ample evidence that Eir are even worse at giving out refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

JTMan wrote: »
    Good to see Comreg act on companies who do not give refunds to exiting customers. Hopefully Comeg will go after Eir next. There is ample evidence that Eir are even worse at giving out refunds.
    YES, but they disappear some old accounts with credit balances instead of leaving them inactive........ :confused:

VM have been doing this for years. Bit late now.

It's like the phone operators who take back credit if the SIM is unused for a set period. If you have a backup phone, for kids etc. It may never be used, but when you do need it, you might find it has no credit.

They are all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I had to call three times and spend an hour and a half on the phone after banging my head against their whatsapp help to get refunded for the extra they had charged me a few months ago. Terrible experience. Their default stance is: We don't owe you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bazmo

They gave me the same guff (and whilst in the middle of lockdown when the last thing I needed was to be traipsing into a bank to lodge/cash a cheque). They flat out refused to refund via EFT. So I just reversed the last Direct Debit and let them issue a revised bill for what I actually owed. I then paid this online.

It gets worse. I cancelled my service and asked for a refund of my credit balance. I was told that it will take 5 weeks and they will send a cheque ( what use is that when my bank is KBC and it's a pain to take a cheque ). They should be fined and forced to refund customers the same way they pay i.e. Direct Debit refund.

They refused to give me a refund but used it as credit. They messed up the bills of course and made such a mess I have no idea how it all worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭spuddy

duffman13 wrote: »
    I have to say they are getting worse to deal with, really is shocking! Have cancelled at this stage and signed up as a new customer, want the new box and little in the way of alternatives in my area for BB. Sooner the better a bit of competition hits the market. Charging €110 a month and a new customer deal available for 12 months at 69 a month rising to 92. Reps ive dealt with have been awful

How much downtime have you got to deal with, when doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Just now.....no wait on 1908.

6 months half price on both 250 or 500.

Would have gone with 500 if offered the 9 month discount, but wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,167 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spent an hour on the phone to a rep there, a bit of plamasing and chat but every single deal I was offered was 1) more expensive than what I'm currently paying & 2) dearer than a new customer.

Told him I'd leave and so he asked a manager. Came back with a deal still more expensive than both. Told him I'd cancel again. Got a third call back to ask would I like to cancel today!

Gonna have to try again some other day I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bazmo wrote: »
    They gave me the same guff (and whilst in the middle of lockdown when the last thing I needed was to be traipsing into a bank to lodge/cash a cheque). They flat out refused to refund via EFT. So I just reversed the last Direct Debit and let them issue a revised bill for what I actually owed. I then paid this online.

unfortunately for me, I have been in massive credit for the guts of a year because I had changed plans and only copped on after a few months that they were still charging me the old plan as well as the new one. So I had been just eating up credit every month. At the end there was still some left.

It's almost two months since I requested it repaid and they told me they would send out the cheque in five weeks. Pulling a Ryanair on me. but at least with Ryanair, you can use their voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

beauf wrote: »
    VM have been doing this for years. Bit late now.

It's like the phone operators who take back credit if the SIM is unused for a set period. If you have a backup phone, for kids etc. It may never be used, but when you do need it, you might find it has no credit.

They are all at it.

Some countries if you do not top up they take ur credit and eventually your Number

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

anyone getting getting deals on a 360 package ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭CoBo55

anyone getting getting deals on a 360 package ?

Just started a half price for 6 months deal I've 360 and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Just started a half price for 6 months deal I've 360 and phone.

Have you had many deals in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭CoBo55

bromley52 wrote: »
    Have you had many deals in recent years?

15 a month off for 9 months and another half price for 6 before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

If you cancel, do you have the return the router? Will they pick it up or do you have to ship it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

CyberGhost wrote: »
    If you cancel, do you have the return the router? Will they pick it up or do you have to ship it?

Has to be returned. I got a new router from them in the Autumn, round end of October & still haven't given it back.

Remember them sending me a few texts about Parcel Motel & a few emails on the same issue too since then plus they've also rang me a couple of times; let there be no rush cos I'll be returning their new modem too as I'm signing up to Vodafone Monday!

Advertisement