Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Phoned yesterday and asked to upgrade from the 240mb €92 a month bundle to their biggest bundle. Its currently at €112 but its €89 for new customers. They said all they would do is remove the activation fee.

I got onto SKY to check I could get their €55 deal and will be cancelling Virgin today. Fupp 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

360Mb with Home Phone.
    Customer since 2009.

Offered €12 off for 9 months, €52 per month, and then €65 for remaining 3. Made a note on my account.

Not great. They made a note on my account so not sure calling again will help.
    Virgin are the best but prices are very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭CoBo55

350Mb with Home Phone.
    Customer since 2009.

Offered €12 off for 9 months, €52 per month, and then €65 for remaining 3. Made a note on my account.

Not great. They made a note on my account so not sure calling again will help.
    Virgin are the best but prices are very high.

I'm paying €67.50 for that package, top class service but it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm already cancelled, but planning to get back to them shortly and see if they'll blink first. Is there any likelihood of getting a discount and not signing up to a new contract?

RealJohn wrote: »
    I'm already cancelled, but planning to get back to them shortly and see if they'll blink first. Is there any likelihood of getting a discount and not signing up to a new contract?

You'll get some kind of discount but there's no avoiding a new contract, well unless they give you a deal on their 30 day 250 meg BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

6 months half price on naked 250 broadband this morning, was just offered straight away when I said I wanted to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

6 months half price on naked 250 broadband this morning, was just offered straight away when I said I wanted to cancel.
    Is that on a rolling monthly contract, or did you have to sign up for 12 months?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

RealJohn wrote: »
    Is that on a rolling monthly contract, or did you have to sign up for 12 months?

There is no way to getting a discount and not being put on a 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm paying €67.50 for that package, top class service but it's expensive.

Did you try anything or get anywhere better?
    I would mention the recent Sky offer for the TV, Broadband, and Phone for €55, but I've no leg to stand on as their internet is shiite and nowhere near as good as Virgin. Plus, I don't even have TV.

Did you try anything or get anywhere better?
    I would mention the recent Sky offer for the TV, Broadband, and Phone for €55, but I've no leg to stand on as their internet is shiite and nowhere near as good as Virgin. Plus, I don't even have TV.

As the song says, I’m caught in a trap. Siro was supposed to arrive here in March but it never got finished. I had signed up to Digiweb to get installed as soon as it went live... I’m still waiting (another song I know)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ill rip someones head tomorrow, cheeky ***** cancelled 2 months back, just few minutes receive email bill for ocotober-november for 51e.
    as cancelled in sep with 30 days notice got 8 days cut off to be end of sep 31, instead of october 7th on top, now they are taking pi$$, even thou asked 10 times on the phone if anything was needed aside telling i was leaving on the phone and agreed on date, am i wrong somewhere in not giving em proper mail notice or some crap or are they that brain dead to pull this crap, as got email confirming sorry your leaving BS but there was line we will let you know your set cancellation date, even thou i was given that on the phone ?

as lucky enough was on top up basis so at least no funds lost until i get to the matter who fcked it up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

scamalert wrote: »
    ill rip someones head tomorrow, cheeky ***** cancelled 2 months back, just few minutes receive email bill for ocotober-november for 51e.
    as cancelled in sep with 30 days notice got 8 days cut off to be end of sep 31, instead of october 7th on top, now they are taking pi$$, even thou asked 10 times on the phone if anything was needed aside telling i was leaving on the phone and agreed on date, am i wrong somewhere in not giving em proper mail notice or some crap or are they that brain dead to pull this crap, as got email confirming sorry your leaving BS but there was line we will let you know your set cancellation date, even thou i was given that on the phone ?

as lucky enough was on top up basis so at least no funds lost until i get to the matter who fcked it up :mad:

Remember to quote 'em "Calls're recorded for quality & training purposes" so they'll be able refer back to your call on that particular day & date and to the time too if you can recall; your account with htem should have Call Logs on their side anyway; under GDPR you will probably have to issue an FOI Request to get these records if they push this though.

edited:ah crap, vm rolled me over nicely, last year when i cancelled they did disconnect me actually prior getting anything as was intent on moving em, then got deal few weeks later for 9mo thus reason for staying. and can remember now exactly that somehow they messed up the payment for the month until i got re connected for new contract that resulted me paying full amount for the month, and then they gave me months break 2 months later to correct it- good will crap etc, which was deduced from previously fully paid amount, to good to be true thought at the time, as looking at my billing period it would seem as if new contract started from Nov, thus me being in a rush to cancel before Oct end, which by the fcking chain created put me month outside contract and fck no one told me that, as thinking technically now should of initiated cancellation in September to be cut of prior Oct, which if looking at billing doesn't show up, so in theory fcked myself over by thinking i was canceling on the right month which was month later then i should of at least thought off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Called yesterday and it was obvious the guy I spoke to was working from home as his kid came in during the call.
    He seemed very preoccupied that he didn't even offer me any deals just cancelled straight away

Does anyone know if I will get calls or emails with offers before my cutoff on December 11th?
    Would much prefer to stay with Virgin as sky, Vodafone don't have great speeds in my area

I was on 250mb paying 59 pm - was on 6 months half price on my last offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Called yesterday and it was obvious the guy I spoke to was working from home as his kid came in during the call.
    He seemed very preoccupied that he didn't even offer me any deals just cancelled straight away

Does anyone know if I will get calls or emails with offers before my cutoff on December 11th?
    Would much prefer to stay with Virgin as sky, Vodafone don't have great speeds in my area

That’s fairly bad form!
    What I’ve done been is I’ve put in the cancellation like you did but then I ring back and say my husband is not happy about moving to Sky but that I’m not staying unless there’s a deal and is there definitely nothing that can be done. Usually did get it then!

mad price, def call again and explain that you havent been served well in previous call.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I just came off 12 months half price and was offered 6 months half price straight away on a bundle and 12 months half price on multi room. It was a no brainer, i felt pushing for 9 moths half price would be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Was onto Cancellation Team today; told 'em it was because of multiple reasons incl. regular dropping of service, poor service over past few months (240 MB plan; Ookla Tests're giving me 122 Png./30-40 Mb D/L but this can vary at all hours of day/night) & they offered me down to €50 for 6 months......from €62.99 I'm currently paying.........this after spending about 1 Hour 20 after lunch on hold for majority of time to them too.

Only it was my own phone I'd've hopped it off wall in frustration.

Have postponed cancelation cos arranging a call out from a VM Techie but their lame-ass excuses about my laptop being too old etc. aren't washing; tried another newer device & same issue!

Problem is if I cancel & get VF in it might be touch and go come mid December. But price wise VF're knocking 'em out of the park & service where I live is A1 by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Rang them re cancellation and asked about deal to switch to the 360 box, they said not doing deals on the new box, anyone get any deals on the 360 box ended up getting 9 months half price and 3 months full so happy enough with that.

I think I'd rather get the new box than keep Horizon on a discount. It's garbage. I'm also interested - has anyone managed to get both?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

Anyone use Vodafone for TV and broadband? My contract is up with Virgin so am considering switching. Lad knocked at the door offering TV/broadband/home phone for €50 p/m. That's for life, no 6 month offers a lá Virgin. Sounds like a great system, though obviously 'yer man is a salesman!..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

paulinhio wrote: »
    Anyone use Vodafone for TV and broadband? My contract is up with Virgin so am considering switching. Lad knocked at the door offering TV/broadband/home phone for €50 p/m. That's for life, no 6 month offers a lá Virgin. Sounds like a great system, though obviously 'yer man is a salesman!..

Would depend on bb speed and what tv stations are included?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

paulinhio wrote: »

Some of these sales guys will tell you anything for a sale, be very careful, I’d be very dubious about a “for life” offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Called VM today to either cancel or get a price reduction on the current package (paying €111 per month for Mix250 with 2 Multiroom connections). I had 6 months half price for the first 6 months of this contract year. Explained it was all about price for me, I'd priced an equivalent Eir package which came in at €60 per month, albeit with a reduced broadband speed. Haggled a bit and best offer I could get was €25 per month off so I went ahead and cancelled. I have 30 days before cancellation so I'll maybe wait a week and call them again to see if they can come down any further. Didn't spend too much time trying to retain me tbh, I usually get the 'talk to my manager' spiel but there was none of that this time......

robbe wrote: »
    Called VM today to either cancel or get a price reduction on the current package (paying €111 per month for Mix250 with 2 Multiroom connections). I had 6 months half price for the first 6 months of this contract year. Explained it was all about price for me, I'd priced an equivalent Eir package which came in at €60 per month, albeit with a reduced broadband speed. Haggled a bit and best offer I could get was €25 per month off so I went ahead and cancelled. I have 30 days before cancellation so I'll maybe wait a week and call them again to see if they can come down any further. Didn't spend too much time trying to retain me tbh, I usually get the 'talk to my manager' spiel but there was none of that this time......

I tried via WhatsApp but they can't do offers or cancellation. I'll try ringing them tomorrow I'm not expecting much tbh. I'll go ahead and cancel if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

I'm currently paying €92pm with 250mb and 50 channels - been on this rate for about 2 years just never got around to changing / renewing. Want to stay with VM as I am in an apartment block that is only really serviced by them. What is the best approach to getting a good deal on renewing and what the best likely offer that I will get?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I have VM 360 Broadband and Phone. Works out at about €67 a month.

My contract was up so rang to cancel and after a little haggling I got 50% off for 9 months.

Last year the best offer I could get was 50% off for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

acer911 wrote: »
    I'm currently paying €92pm with 250mb and 50 channels - been on this rate for about 2 years just never got around to changing / renewing. Want to stay with VM as I am in an apartment block that is only really serviced by them. What is the best approach to getting a good deal on renewing and what the best likely offer that I will get?

I'm on a similar deal. They offered me €72 a month discounted price for 9 months - not brilliant, but close enough to Sky's price, so I'll probably accept it.

I'm on a similar deal. They offered me €72 a month discounted price for 9 months - not brilliant, but close enough to Sky's price, so I'll probably accept it.

The current offer in this is €69 per month for 12 months and a free soundbar, may I ask why you couldn’t just cancel and rejoin on that basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Just spent 45 mins on hold with them and was unfortunately told that if I were to upgrade to 360 I would not be eligible for any loyalty discount. Even when I pointed out that I could get a new customer discount and the 360 equipment (not to mention a free sound bar) by cancelling the account and opening a new one in my partner's name, they still had nothing to offer.

That sky deal is looking very tempting. I don't think I could hack another year of the Horizon box even with a discount.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Just spent 45 mins on hold with them and was unfortunately told that if I were to upgrade to 360 I would not be eligible for any loyalty discount. Even when I pointed out that I could get a new customer discount and the 360 equipment (not to mention a free sound bar) by cancelling the account and opening a new one in my partner's name, they still had nothing to offer.

That sky deal is looking very tempting. I don't think I could hack another year of the Horizon box even with a discount.

So they won’t even offer you the new customer deal?

The locality discount is useless if it is less than the new customer price

Advertisement