Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Neighbours (aka 'Neighbors')

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just a little thing from the film that I don't think is getting talked about enough. Its nothing to do with the plot but I'll spoiler it anyway.
    When one of the white characters from the film used the N-word when doing a Barack Obama impression and when rapping that Outkast song. Now I know this isn't the first time that this has happened but to me it is in a film this mainstream and with this sort of ungritty subject matter it seemed out of place.

Just seems to me with the whole Jeremy Clarkson controversy lately it was kinda shocking in a way to hear it when one white character was speaking to another. Maybe the tide is turning on the word but I can't see how black audiences would feel hearing it being thrown around so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just a little thing from the film that I don't think is getting talked about enough. Its nothing to do with the plot but I'll spoiler it anyway.
    When one of the white characters from the film used the N-word when doing a Barack Obama impression and when rapping that Outkast song. Now I know this isn't the first time that this has happened but to me it is in a film this mainstream and with this sort of ungritty subject matter it seemed out of place.

Just seems to me with the whole Jeremy Clarkson controversy lately it was kinda shocking in a way to hear it when one white character was speaking to another. Maybe the tide is turning on the word but I can't see how black audiences would feel hearing it being thrown around so easily.

That jarred me too. It's interesting, though, I imagine they did it to push buttons. Let's not beat around the bush: white people do say it when quoting rap songs and so on in the real world, not meant disparagingly. It's almost as if we've come so far that it now means something else...though what that is, I don't know yet.

Has the word and our tolerance for it evolved enough to acknowledge that in public? Or are we a generation away from that? I'm not sure, but the bit got a laugh from me at least. It was interesting and ballsy to see them ask that question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Top notch analysis of a scene presumably from the trailer and therefore completely out of context ;)

To be fair, I can't really think of any context that would make it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

To be fair, I can't really think of any context that would make it funny.

Althoug it is played for laughs to some degree, the reaction of the parents, also the innocence and complete non reaction of the child in comparison (I'm not doing it justice but it actually is quite funny), the main point of that scene to highlight how bad the situation has got with having a fraternity living next door. It's a tipping point for the parents who realise that loud music isn't the only thing they'll have to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did the business at the US box office over the weekend

wasn't kermode saying this has 9 day opening weekend atleast in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

wasn't kermode saying this has 9 day opening weekend atleast in the uk

Yeh, in the UK but he also said that even if it had been a regular opening weekend, it still would have done very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Coming out of Godzilla last night and crowd was streaming out from seeing this at the same time and heard a girl say to her boyfriend:

"It was okay but you think they would have hired a baby sitter when they were going out all the time".

She had a point in fairness :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They did didn't they? After the first time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

They had the baby monitor which worked because they were just next door.

Just saw this last night, really enjoyed it. Laughed from start to finish. One of Rogans better movies I thought. Having a young first child, I thought they captured the transition from the young party couple to having a family really well.

Same with most comedies of this sort, if you look for mistakes you're going to find them.

Solid 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

It was funny enough, but slowed down a lot at times. Zac Efron and Dave Franco were great. Some scenes were completely stupid (milking, penis casting) and could have been handled differently, but for the most part I enjoyed it, 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Found this funnier than expected, nothing amazing or anything, but good fun!
    Loved the Batman references :p

Did anyone else find themselves rooting for Efrons character a hell of a lot more than the parents?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Probably my favourite scene from the film, Samuel Jackson speech gets me everytime and Dave Franco has Robert De Niro to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Worst film i've ever seen (apart from the deniro bit above, that was hilarious, well played young franco!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

kwestfan08 wrote: »

Its not really seen like a big deal in America in the context it was used in the film. White people can say 'niggah' over there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Pure pile of ****e had the misfortune of being dragged to the cinema to see this

Advertisement