Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Companies don't advertise free work, you find a good contact, call them and ask. Smaller companies would generally be more amenable that large ones. The thing is to continuously work on things to get you closer to your goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    after applying to the NHS do they reply to you after a week? or a few weeks?

When I applied, they said that if you didn't hear within six weeks, you hadn't been sucessful. So I didn't hear in that timeframe and so just forgot about it. But I got called to interview at the seven weeks mark. So, it's a just a guideline really.

My interview was terrible, stumbling over words, inarticulacy. Know what saved me? I did a tonne of research before the interview and was able to talk (nervously) about that in the interview. They were visibly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    When I applied, they said that if you didn't hear within six weeks, you hadn't been sucessful. So I didn't hear in that timeframe and so just forgot about it. But I got called to interview at the seven weeks mark. So, it's a just a guideline really.

My interview was terrible, stumbling over words, inarticulacy. Know what saved me? I did a tonne of research before the interview and was able to talk (nervously) about that in the interview. They were visibly impressed.

ah ok six weeks gothcha. research on the job spec itself the key skills and what you have to offer . It doesnt tell you the name of the company though i think its the barthrust hospital.

biomed32 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time posting here but I am looking for advice.

A little about me.
    I have a degree in biomedical science and a masters in biotechnology. I cannot register with AMLS as I did not do my biomed degree in DIT/CIT etc.

I have been unemployed for 2 years now and in that time I have done a 9 month jobbridge internship and several courses to improve my skills and gain further skills yet despite this I am getting no return. In essence, working in a scientific related position in Ireland, at entry level or higher is seemingly unattainable.

Beyond this I have been applying for positions Europe wide and in the UK and in the next couple weeks I intend on traveling to the UK to meet up with recruitment agencies and apply for positions.
    I would like to know if anyone has done this before, does anyone have any advice dealing with recruitment agencies etc...

I appreciate any help

hi Biomed did you apply to the NHS? did you meet with UK recruitment agencies?

would the fact that i have not been working in the last two years effect my chances of getting work ?? i mean its not good that i have not been working :(. although i have done an upskilling course in science which brings me up to the end of 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    would the fact that i have not been working in the last two years effect my chances of getting work ?? i mean its not good that i have not been working :(. although i have done an upskilling course in science which brings me up to the end of 2014.

Affect, not effect :-)
    I would suggest that you look to the future rather than fret about the past. Employers want people who will do a good job and fit in to the team. Concentrate your efforts on demonstrating these qualities and forget about the fact that you have not worked. Show that you used your time constructively.
    I am not trying to be unkind, because I know how hard it is to get work, but I can't help feeling that you have to work on your negativity. You seem to be putting the brakes on your job search rather than just getting on with it full pelt. There is nothing to lose by going all out, applying to hundreds of jobs and continuously reviewing your approach. Even seasoned professionals do that, you should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaz90ish

I travelled for the interview. Travel and accommodation costs within the UK were refunded, the flights into and out of the country weren't. There were 2 positions going, 90 people applied and 13 were interviewed.

Hi Tarzana2, are you working as a medical scientist or medical lab aide? its just that, i have an interview on the 15th as a NHS medical lab aide in Bangor, Wales. I was just wondering what kinda questions do they ask and thats surprising that the travel and accommodation costs within UK were refunded. Who refunds for the travel and accomm. costs within the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaz90ish

I travelled for the interview. Travel and accommodation costs within the UK were refunded, the flights into and out of the country weren't. There were 2 positions going, 90 people applied and 13 were interviewed.

Hi Tarzana2, are you working as a medical scientist or medical lab aide? its just that, i have an interview on the 15th as a NHS medical lab aide in Bangor, Wales. I was just wondering what kinda questions do they ask and thats surprising that the travel and accommodation costs within UK were refunded. Who refunds the travel and accomm. costs within the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

shaz90ish wrote: »
    Hi Tarzana2, are you working as a medical scientist or medical lab aide? its just that, i have an interview on the 15th as a NHS medical lab aide in Bangor, Wales. I was just wondering what kinda questions do they ask and thats surprising that the travel and accommodation costs within UK were refunded. Who refunds the travel and accomm. costs within the UK?

No longer in science but worked in QC.

The NHS scores each answer and the person who scores highest... wins! :)

So, have all your answers prepared for the stock interview questions (What's your greatest weakness, tell us of a time when you showed leadership, 5 year plan). They ask all those.

But more crucially, do your research! Find out as much as you can about the job, read the spec thoroughly, talk to someone who works in the field. This will set you apart from the rest.

I think I was told before the interview that I'd be partially reimbursed. It's five years ago now (yikes!) so perhaps things have changed on that score. I'd be reluctant to enquire about it myself, don't want to rock the boat. I was just told, I didn't ask.

The very best of luck. :)

Advertisement