Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science

Options
  • 07-05-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting here but I am looking for advice.

A little about me.
    I have a degree in biomedical science and a masters in biotechnology. I cannot register with AMLS as I did not do my biomed degree in DIT/CIT etc.

I have been unemployed for 2 years now and in that time I have done a 9 month jobbridge internship and several courses to improve my skills and gain further skills yet despite this I am getting no return. In essence, working in a scientific related position in Ireland, at entry level or higher is seemingly unattainable.

Beyond this I have been applying for positions Europe wide and in the UK and in the next couple weeks I intend on traveling to the UK to meet up with recruitment agencies and apply for positions.
    I would like to know if anyone has done this before, does anyone have any advice dealing with recruitment agencies etc...

I appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.amls.ie/membership

Membership
    In order to work as a Medical Scientist in Ireland, an application must be submitted to the Academy of Medical Laboratory Science (AMLS) for eligibility for membership.

Form 1: Graduates of BSc Biomedical/Medical Science from CIT/UCC, DIT and GMIT.
    Form 2: Graduates of Biomedical/Medical laboratory Science degrees from EU and Worldwide
    Form 6: Graduates working as Scientists in Irish Clinical Diagnostic Laboratories - minimum two years

I know nothing about this organisation, but this part suggests that you can join....

Where did you study? I presume you can join the AMLS-equivalent where you studied - do AMLS allow transfer of membership etc - many such organisations do....

Re the UK etc - you should be able to do lots of groundwork at home - email and Skype should allow you to have initial discussions - esp. with agencies.

Location: London is expensive and you may well have a longer commute - a decent airport for trips home might be worth considering - but see where the opportunities are first.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

blindsider wrote: »
    ... but this part suggests that you can join....

Where did you study? I presume you can join the AMLS-equivalent where you studied - do AMLS allow transfer of membership etc - many such organisations do.....

All the routes to membership of the AMLS are outlined in its "pathways to membership" document. The difference between the DIT & UCC biomed degree versus "biomed" degrees like maynooths are the subjects studied. Non AMLS recognised degrees don't have enough clinical biochem, haematology, transfusion, immunology, microbiology or histology. So people with life science degrees would need to study these at undergrad level in DIT or UU.

I'm not sure of the ways of becoming a member of the IBMS, the UK version of the AMLS. The irish qualifications are more academic though, so membership of one organisation does not equate to membership of another.

Something else that may interest you is the Clinical Scientist profession, it only exists in the NHS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

hi guys i have a biotechnology degree level 8 going out of date two years and counting with no experience attained. I am finding it hard to get paid work or even jobbridge internships at the rate :( i am not sure what to do now to get any job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There are tonnes and tonnes of QC analyst jobs all around Ireland, are you sure you are not being a bit too picky? It may not be fully related to your field but you are not going to walk into a job thats 100% related to your field and interesting and exciting. At least a QC job may give you that valuable experience so you can try and branch out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Leave the country. The problem is that a lot of people with phds are applying for the same jobs you are going for due to the shortage of jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is a common perception that phD or masters science graduates can walk into a job and get a pay rise within a year, be promoted after a few months, have all their ideas taken on board and have lots of perks. Having worked (in a roundabout way) in the industry for a very long time now, let me tell you thats not the case at all. Employers just want someone who can mix in well and put in the hours and do the job they are paid to do. No fancy ideas, no brainstorming or phds will change their minds. If you want to continue having an interesting science career AND making money, be a lecturer. Otherwise, drop all airs and graces and start from the bottom.

em yeah there are lots of QC jobs out there alright but they require at least 1-2 years work experience in industry... and leaving the country im not sure is the right thing to do i mean all other countries are having the same problem plus i dont have any experience what so ever. Becoming a lecture doesnt appeal to me :(:(

Becoming a lecturer is probably the most difficult science career path so good thing it doesn't appeal to you. Could try for research assistant jobs in universities and it's to try get some experience.

Becoming a lecturer is probably the most difficult science career path so good thing it doesn't appeal to you. Could try for research assistant jobs in universities and it's to try get some experience.

yeah well im not piky i will take anything yeah i have tried for some of those kind of jobs and no luck i just think the whole system is corrupt and the whole experience thing for grads is a joke.

biomed32 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time posting here but I am looking for advice.

A little about me.
    I have a degree in biomedical science and a masters in biotechnology. I cannot register with AMLS as I did not do my biomed degree in DIT/CIT etc.

I have been unemployed for 2 years now and in that time I have done a 9 month jobbridge internship and several courses to improve my skills and gain further skills yet despite this I am getting no return. In essence, working in a scientific related position in Ireland, at entry level or higher is seemingly unattainable.

Beyond this I have been applying for positions Europe wide and in the UK and in the next couple weeks I intend on traveling to the UK to meet up with recruitment agencies and apply for positions.
    I would like to know if anyone has done this before, does anyone have any advice dealing with recruitment agencies etc...

I appreciate any help

hi biomed hows things? did you go to the uk to the recruitment agencies? how did you get on ?? im finding it hard to get work in dublin :(

• Advertisement

Work is scarce in Dublin I think. Abroad is where it's at.

Work is scarce in Dublin I think. Abroad is where it's at.

work is scarce everywhere , plus i wont get work without having any experience under my belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Work isn't half as scarce in the UK as it is here. Their unemployment rate is less than half of what Ireland's is. You seem to be looking for advice but not wanting to take any of it on board! I graduated with a biology degree in 2009 and immediately set my sights on the UK. It took me six months but I found a great entry level position.

Oh and I had not a jot of experience.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Oh and I had not a jot of experience.

hey oh thats cool very good congrats, yeah i mean i have been applying to the uk for jobs but i get no feedback do you know any sites for me to look up ? i know there is reed

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaz90ish

If you are interested in clinical work, my advice to you would be to apply via the NHS jobs website or to hospitals directly as a permanent member of staff. Hospitals are more likely to take someone with less or no experience directly.

shaz90ish wrote: »
    If you are interested in clinical work, my advice to you would be to apply via the NHS jobs website or to hospitals directly as a permanent member of staff. Hospitals are more likely to take someone with less or no experience directly.

ok thanks. do you have to be in the uk to apply ? or is being in ireland ok ?

you can apply from ireland :). there are few trainee medical scientist positions available in the NHS website too where you can get it without experience. The only requirement is HCPC registration

you can apply from ireland :). there are few trainee medical scientist positions available in the NHS website too where you can get it without experience. The only requirement is HCPC registration

oh ok thanks for that.I presume a degree is required? whats is HCPC? i registered there with NHS

If its for a medical scientist position, then a Biomedical Science degree is required. Health care Professions council HCPC registration is required for a medical scientist position. Although working as a lab aide need not have this registration. SO maybe start off as a lab aide would be ideal

• Advertisement

If its for a medical scientist position, then a Biomedical Science degree is required. Health care Professions council HCPC registration is required for a medical scientist position. Although working as a lab aide need not have this registration. SO maybe start off as a lab aide would be ideal

ah ok thanks.I applied to a job on the NHS there.Do you work in ireland? or uk?

Yeah, NHS jobs was where I found mine. The New Scientist website is great for job listings too. Really put effort into your applications and highlight relevant modules and research project skills.

Yeah, NHS jobs was where I found mine. The New Scientist website is great for job listings too. Really put effort into your applications and highlight relevant modules and research project skills.

do they skype interview you or call you over for an interview. I applied to a job on the NHS ill apply to more. Is it competitive loads of people applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

How many jobs have you actually applied for? You should reckon on needing many applications, easily a couple of hundred. It is pretty much a full tine job, looking for work.

Diziet wrote: »
    How many jobs have you actually applied for? You should reckon on needing many applications, easily a couple of hundred. It is pretty much a full tine job, looking for work.

yeah i know its alot of work !!!

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    do they skype interview you or call you over for an interview. I applied to a job on the NHS ill apply to more. Is it competitive loads of people applying?

I travelled for the interview. Travel and accommodation costs within the UK were refunded, the flights into and out of the country weren't. There were 2 positions going, 90 people applied and 13 were interviewed.

I travelled for the interview. Travel and accommodation costs within the UK were refunded, the flights into and out of the country weren't. There were 2 positions going, 90 people applied and 13 were interviewed.

hi Tarzana2 oh very good you must be very good then so.congrats.. they only pick the best people. Im not great at interviews i mean i will tell them all about my skills within college and the industry work i did not in science in retail but thats is im not sure what to expect in interviews.

after applying to the NHS do they reply to you after a week? or a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you are unsure of how to handle interviews, then you need to prepare. I would highly recommend this book, not only for interview prep, but also fir job hunting strategies. I have used it myself and recommended it to several people who started getting interviews after putting the ideas in practice.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answers-Tough-Interview-Questions/dp/074947145X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418503578&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+john+yate

And understand that new graduates cone without experience. You are going for entry level jobs, so don't waste time bemoaning the fact you don't have experience. Can you offer your services for free to a lab while you are looking, to get some exposure to the work environment?

• Advertisement

Diziet wrote: »
    If you are unsure of how to handle interviews, then you need to prepare. I would highly recommend this book, not only for interview prep, but also fir job hunting strategies. I have used it myself and recommended it to several people who started getting interviews after putting the ideas in practice.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answers-Tough-Interview-Questions/dp/074947145X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418503578&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+john+yate

And understand that new graduates cone without experience. You are going for entry level jobs, so don't waste time bemoaning the fact you don't have experience. Can you offer your services for free to a lab while you are looking, to get some exposure to the work environment?

thanks for that i will be sure to check that book out. Yeah i have looked for volunteering work on some pharmaceutical companies and not many offer free work.I have applied to some free work in the past and i got no feedback.

Advertisement