Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Dancing on Ice at Christmas (2019) now on - should never have been held back. The fact that's it's now 2020 and this is pure happy xmas makes it ridiculous viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Dancing on Ice at Christmas (2019) now on - should never have been held back. The fact that's it's now 2020 and this is pure happy xmas makes it ridiculous viewing.

On the other hand, it was always going to draw a bigger audience than The Masked Singer, which it saves them having to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

On the other hand, it was always going to draw a bigger audience than The Masked Singer, which it saves them having to show.

Not sure about this the other entertainment shows help boost XFACTOR a little on ITV, I think it tanked completely on VM due to constant repeats of older ITV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Masked Singer isn't produced by ITV Studios, so isn't part of the Virgin Media deal. Sounds like they've escaped a dud anyway, judging by some reactions.

They're odd with the Voice. In the 3 seasons they've shown of it, it's never repeated. Including the Kids version. Meanwhile, they've shown Dancing On Ice '18 and '19 about 5 times.

iseegirls wrote: »
    The Masked Singer isn't produced by ITV Studios, so isn't part of the Virgin Media deal. Sounds like they've escaped a dud anyway, judging by some reactions.

They're odd with the Voice. In the 3 seasons they've shown of it, it's never repeated. Including the Kids version. Meanwhile, they've shown Dancing On Ice '18 and '19 about 5 times.

Neither is Xfactor (part of ITV studios deal, is it repeated?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    Neither is Xfactor (part of ITV studios deal, is it repeated?)

Im sure I've seen that repeated the following day.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Im sure I've seen that repeated the following day.

Dancing on Ice is repeat multiple times across the year, I assume The Voice gets a repeat the following day?

Dancing on Ice is repeat multiple times across the year, I assume The Voice gets a repeat the following day?

Nope, for the last 3 years there haven't been any repeats of it, not even the following day on any of their channels.

The X Factor would at times be repeated twice the following day between VM1 & VM2. Same with Britain's Got Talent.

Odd that there is so much there that they can show, but seem like they're holding onto them for some reasons. New series like Wentworth, Celeb Juice, Celebability, Zomboat were paused after 2 episodes recently, and just replaced by repeats. New series of Doc Martin remains to shown, 5 Gold Rings, Take Me Out, newer episodes of Tipping Point Lucky Stars along with the daytime shows of Real Deal, Judge Rinder, Tipping Point, The Chase.

Virgin Media ONE seem to have ditched WWTBAM

Saturday

6pm Britain's Brightest Family (ITV Catchphrase repeat)
    6:30 Little Big Shots (ITV Catchphrase repeat /The Masked Singers)
    7:30 The Cube (ITV The Masked Singers)
    8:30 The Voice (as ITV)
    10pm The Graham Norton

Sunday
    6pm Dancing on Ice (as ITV)
    8pm The Chase Celebrity Special (ITV Vera)
    9pm Love Island (as ITV2)

Sorry what is WWTBAM?

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Sorry what is WWTBAM?

Who
    Wants
    To
    Be
    A
    Millionaire

WWTBAM :)

Virgin Media ONE seem to have ditched WWTBAM

Saturday

6pm Britain's Brightest Family (ITV Catchphrase repeat)
    6:30 Little Big Shots (ITV Catchphrase repeat /The Masked Singers)
    7:30 The Cube (ITV The Masked Singers)
    8:30 The Voice (as ITV)
    10pm The Graham Norton

For Saturday, at least Britain's Brightest Family (S2) and Little Big Shots (S2) are new to Virgin Media TV.

Their reliance on The Cube again though. They are obsessed with the programme, that hasn't produced any new series' since 2015, so here's a few The Cube stats:

Since 2017 (when ITV Studios programming came back to TV3/VMTV), The Cube has remained on Saturday nights on VM1 - repeated to death.
    39 weeks in 2017 (no episodes during Blind Date repeat and Ant And Dec SNT)
    44 weeks in 2018 (no episodes during 6 nations, Voice Kids)
    40 weeks in 2019 (live rugby, football, and IGTalent)

Series 8 will be shown again this Saturday night.
    This series has been shown on Saturday nights at prime time in Jan 2017, Aug 2017, Jun 2018, Oct 2018, Aug 2019. That's not taking into account the repeats the following day, and VM2's showings of it.

They haven't shown S1 or S2 since 2012. They've oddly never shown S9 (which was on ITVi). S3 to S8 has 49 episodes - so they've managed to stretch these out over the past 3 years, and doesn't seem to be stopping.

Presumably Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Celebrity Special episodes would cost extra so they said no.

The next normal series will get shown I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

VM1 will start showing ITV fact-based family-massacre drama White House Farm on Monday night at 10.

Their new season launch is going in at the moment. Or "upfronts", as they like to call it. Same shows as were previously announced in their autumn schedule, apart from a new Rugby entertainment show hosted by Muireann O'Connell and Greg (From Love Island).

Wonder will there be any mention of News On Two being dropped from this Friday onwards.

Their new season launch is going in at the moment. Or "upfronts", as they like to call it. Same shows as were previously announced in their autumn schedule, apart from a new Rugby entertainment show hosted by Muireann O'Connell and Greg (From Love Island).

Wonder will there be any mention of News On Two being dropped from this Friday onwards.

I read that it was happening yesterday, very quitely announced.

Didn't they have a Rugby entertainment show last year?

I am guessing their election coverage has cause the drop of the 10 News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This sounds, and will be, absolutely horrific. Why would they waste money on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This sounds, and will be, absolutely horrific. Why would they waste money on this?

Oh but it's got someone from Love Island on it. That will get in all the teenage girls to watch a rugby show and make it a ratings success.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's good that they are making more Irish content. But some of it is not really that great while looking at that list.

The only good thing on that list IMO is FOTA: Into The Wild. But the rest of it though is full of tabloid material.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Is it not essentially a reworking - or at least the same basic idea - as the “Clubhouse” programme they ran on late Friday nights of Six Nations weekends in previous years? Mind you I don’t remember it being there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

icdg wrote: »
    Is it not essentially a reworking - or at least the same basic idea - as the “Clubhouse” programme they ran on late Friday nights of Six Nations weekends in previous years? Mind you I don’t remember it being there last year.

Yes. That's the thing. They've tried this type of thing before and it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting channel market share figures from the Irish-language website Tuairisc - Virgin Media Two has a healthy 3.88% for 2019 (presumably driven by Love Island), but VM3 is now behind TG4 (1.84% vs 1.63%).

Other figures:

RTE One: 17.62%
    Virgin Media One: 11.51%
    RTE Two: 6.16%
    BBC One: 4.47%

https://tuairisc.ie/tg4-ar-an-seu-caineal-is-mo-lucht-feachana-figiuiri-nua/

Drop in audience for Virgin Media TV

Virgin Media One 12.36
    Virgin Media Two 3.52
    Virgin Media Three 2.30

18.18 v 17.02

Drop in audience for Virgin Media TV

Virgin Media One 12.36
    Virgin Media Two 3.52
    Virgin Media Three 2.30

18.18 v 17.02

Is this for 2019? Or a certain month?

Is this for 2019? Or a certain month?

Na deich gcaineál is mó lucht féachana in 2019 from the article The 10 Channels with highest Viewership 2019

Medialive figures are adults only but I doubt they will be much different to Annual stats for all. I will double check that later.

My only conclusion is that people watch crap and Virgin Media are getting away with it, December particularly Christmas was dreadful on the channel, but

VM ONE 10%
    +1 0.3%
    VM TWO 3.2%
    VM THREE 1.5%
    TOTAL 15%

My only conclusion is that people watch crap and Virgin Media are getting away with it, December particularly Christmas was dreadful on the channel, but

VM ONE 10%
    +1 0.3%
    VM TWO 3.2%
    VM THREE 1.5%
    TOTAL 15%

Imagine what they would get, if they actually tried - get new films, show newer series of programmes they are hoarding, no repeats from 6pm-midnight on VM1, match up ITV broadcast times and days of dramas if they are going to show them, focus Irish productions for prime time, ... could go on.

Some facts and figures from TAM Ireland (I am only giving totals not indivdual channels sorry)

2019 v 2018

RTÉ down 1%
    Virgin Media down 3%
    All Irish Channels down 1%

Dec Month on Month

RTÉ down 5%
    VMT down 13%
    Irish TV down 7%

Dec Year on year

RTÉ up 5%
    VMT down 11%
    Irish TV down 1%