Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kathy m

Update' I had my interview with the inspector on Friday. Had to call to his office' he asked a few questions and looked for more bank statements for his means test. it wasn't two bad . he will send off his report and I should hear back in the new year . The descion will be made by the deciding officer. At least that bits over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jackie f

Hi Kathy hope all goes well for you let me know when u get word,enjoy xmas and hopefully you get good news in the new year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kathy m

Hi jackie . Some good news got approved for csrers. Recieved letter yesterday . Did not get it from March when i first applied but from July . But just to be approved is good enough for me . I wish you all the best with your appeal Jackie and keep us posted as to how its going for you ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Hello all, I applied for carers allowance for my parents last week, 05 Feb 2015, both parents are in their 80's. Anyone have experience of waiting times in 2015 or of an application for elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Might as well ask the question here where people seem to be well informed, if I were to give up work to do carers allowance for someone how would this effect my stamps/PRSI contributions and such ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Might as well ask the question here where people seem to be well informed, if I were to give up work to do carers allowance for someone how would this effect my stamps/PRSI contributions and such ?

Hello there , if you are currently in full time employment and leave work to care for someone you should apply for carers benefit. Carers benefit lasts for one year and then you could apply for carers allowance if you still are caring for someone. Your PSRI contributions are honoured on both carers allowance and benefit. You should advise your local tax office when your carers payment is approved.

Another question for those with more knowledge/experience of this process, my wife applied for Carers Allowance to look after her mother on the 29/01. She's currently in full time employment but stated on her application that she would be willing to give this up to allow time to care for her Mum. As it is it's a juggling act between work/kids/mother and so on, hence the application. We're not in a position that she could just give up work without knowing there would be some assistance. Today she received a reply stating:
    Dear Mrs Joe Bloggs
    I refer to your claim for carers allowance in respect of Mary Bloggs. I have examined your claim and you have been assessed with means of:

€xxx.xx per week from 29/01/15
    However I regret to inform you that you do not qualify because:
    You are working/self employed outside the home for more than 15 hours per week
    Having reviewed the evidence in your case a deciding officer has found that you are not providing full time care and attention as required

If you think this decision is wrong, it is open to you to send and further information about your case to this office and a deciding officer will review your case

Now my wife had clearly stated that she was willing to either cut back to 15 hours (If allowed so by employer) or give up work altogether. Her mothers needs are a priority in as much as we can afford. The second issue is basically tied in with the first as she is providing care before and after her working day to her mother but obviously can't while she is in work.

We were initially baffled by the letter but am I right thinking this is just an effort to fob off our application ? We will certainly be appealing this by sending "further information" and clearly stating that employment will be given up if she qualifies.

Did we make an error by stating that she was willing to give up work to fulfill full-time care ?

We'd we interested to hear any of your thoughts/experiences of this situation ?

Many thanks.

Anyone ? Should we communicate by letter or attempt to talk to the "Deciding Officer" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not sure, but I suspect you have to be actually caring and already not working in order to qualify. Don't take that as authoritative information, but it may be a starting point for discussing it with the officer.

looksee wrote: »
    I am not sure, but I suspect you have to be actually caring and already not working in order to qualify. Don't take that as authoritative information, but it may be a starting point for discussing it with the officer.

She's fitting in the caring around her job at the moment, taking time off work for Doctor/Hospital appointments. Taking time off or asking neighbours for assistance isn't and can't be expected as a long term arrangement. It's not ideal that she's contemplating giving up her job but we are the closest geographically family member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I dont think they will commit to anything while your wife is still working. But I would ring Longford and inquire anyway.

lulu1 wrote: »
    I dont think they will commit to anything while your wife is still working. But I would ring Longford and inquire anyway.

I hear ya, that leaves us in a difficult position. A bit of advice from the deciding officer would be useful but as you say "commitment" will be impossible to obtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

Hi, I was wondering could anybody advise on this ?
    My parents have moved in with my grandmother to look after her. My mam works and my dad is on the state pension. My dad is applying for it (he will only be eligible for half the payment).

My query is about the means . The advice on the citizens advice is a bit vague . It states the first €665 that a couple earn weekly is disregarded. My parents I imagine are under either on that, or a little under. But for arguments sake , they are €10 over per week, is the application declined or is it just docked that €10.

That would be the only issue with the application, my gran requires full time care.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

madcharlie wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering could anybody advise on this ?
    My parents have moved in with my grandmother to look after her. My mam works and my dad is on the state pension. My dad is applying for it (he will only be eligible for half the payment).

My query is about the means . The advice on the citizens advice is a bit vague . It states the first €665 that a couple earn weekly is disregarded. My parents I imagine are under either on that, or a little under. But for arguments sake , they are €10 over per week, is the application declined or is it just docked that €10.

That would be the only issue with the application, my gran requires full time care.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

They would be docked €10. What happened to their own house? Sw will ask about that too and any earnings from rent etc will be part of their means test.
    Good luck with it!

Advertisement