Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irishman Abroad

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Heard the Seamus Coleman interview, thought it was very good. The. Sam Barry one also very enjoyable, his commitment to tennis from such a young age and to be fair his parents was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I thought it was a decent interview, he's given his reasons for not wearing the poppy before so i can understand Jarlath not wanting to go over it again really. The parts about Seamus Coleman's injury and Ryan McBride's tragic death were interesting.

I also enjoyed when Jarlath started a question with "aside from this podcast my day job is a stand up comedian..." and McClean says "oh right, i couldn't tell..." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Listened to about 10 minutes of the Bob Geldof episode and started nodding off. Stating the bleeding obvious but my god is Geldof full of self importance. Doesn't help when Jarleth tries to mimick a pseudo intellectual either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Have been dipping in and out of this podcast for a few months. The only thing that keeps bringing me back is the quality of guests he gets.

How can somebody with such a successful podcast have so poor audio? It sounds like he is recording it on a phone in the toilet most of the time.. Overall I don't like his style and the way he goes so long-winded to get to a question. Also his massive false spiel about his sponsorship partners are a bit much. Don't get me started on the false laugh which appears now and again for no reason..

Sorry for the rant, but it's a pity that he hasn't developed a better style over time. I still listen occasionally because a guests name grabs my attention. Listened to Mick McCarthy and Brian Kennedy recently who had really interesting stories. Brian Kennedy in particular has a really interesting story to tell.

Come on Jarlaith, pump something else in to it to make it a bit more bearable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Have been dipping in and out of this podcast for a few months. The only thing that keeps bringing me back is the quality of guests he gets.

How can somebody with such a successful podcast have so poor audio? It sounds like he is recording it on a phone in the toilet most of the time.. Overall I don't like his style and the way he goes so long-winded to get to a question. Also his massive false spiel about his sponsorship partners are a bit much. Don't get me started on the false laugh which appears now and again for no reason..

Sorry for the rant, but it's a pity that he hasn't developed a better style over time. I still listen occasionally because a guests name grabs my attention. Listened to Mick McCarthy and Brian Kennedy recently who had really interesting stories. Brian Kennedy in particular has a really interesting story to tell.

Come on Jarlaith, pump something else in to it to make it a bit more bearable! :D

That's how I feel about this podcast. The idea is good and the quality of guests is very good. My problem is the host. Who is not very engaging and for a stand-up comedian, not very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone think or notice that jarlath seems like a quite right-on liberal type but his show seems to only invite upper class or middle class guests on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone think or notice that jarlath seems like a quite right-on liberal type but his show seems to only invite upper class or middle class guests on?

Recent interviewee Brian Kennedy was from a very humble back ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I think the fact that most people he has on are from a middle class background shows that Ireland is a relatively middle class kind of country, rather than it demonstrating bias on behalf of Jarlath.

It’s not a bad podcast, but I sometimes feel his softly softly approach has resulted in missed opportunities considering the calibre of guest he has gotten. Not to go all Paxman on them, but to explore a new side to guests that the listener isn’t used to. It can feel a bit safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 spucey2

Have just started listening to this as a result of listening to the Kilkenny Cats Laughs episode.
    Enjoyed it.
    Then listened to Chris O' Dowd & Sharon Horgan (returns) and enjoyed those...with the exception of the sound quality. There are editing programs available which can kill that crappy (sometimes intermittent) background noise which doesn't add to the podcast.

Absolutely no reason not to edit out background hiss.

Aside from that, I've signed up to the archive via app and the sound quality is atrocious compared to pretty much every other podcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Wonder would it be possible for the lads to through a single episode without mentioning the pox that is twitter. I go out of my way to avoid it in my own life, but second captains might as well be a subsidiary of the twitter brand the way they constantly go on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

The latest episode with Barry Keoghan is terrible. Not Barry's fault as he seemed quite open to talk about anything but Jarleth didn't ask a remotely interesting question

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Jarleth loves the sound of his own voice so much that Barry barely got a chance to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

deisedude wrote: »
    The latest episode with Barry Keoghan is terrible. Not Barry's fault as he seemed quite open to talk about anything but Jarleth didn't ask a remotely interesting question

I agree it was such a shame as Barry sounds like he has such an interesting story normally Jarlaith has a kind of structure, takes the interviewee back to the beginning and finds out thought processes and turning points with this one it was just very random, he jumped around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

this podcast seems to have run its course now which is a shame.

who hasnt he interviewed yet and who would everyone like to hear in a decent interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Blanco100 wrote: »

who hasnt he interviewed yet and who would everyone like to hear in a decent interview?

I'd love to hear Morrissey from the Smiths being interviewed.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Blanco100 wrote: »

Its gone to ****e, he doesnt get good guests anymore and interviews way too many sports people, sorry but I find them the most dull, boring people and most of them have monotone voices. I cant listen to them, my eyes glaze over, everything they say goes over my head as I just cant concentrate on what theyre saying. I used to be a patreon and listen every Sunday but his guests are so boring now I unsubscribed a few months ago, I check in every few weeks to see of anything interesting has been posted but it never has been. I listen to the pod casts anyway unless theyre a sports person but I never take anything from them or find them engaging anymore. Also he mostly only interviews men which I think gets boring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He seems to not interview guests anymore and does “Irishman running” where he periodically talks to Sonia O’Sullivan and “Irishman in America” where he talks to to Marion McKeone about US politics.

10 years later and retrospectively a lot of the early episodes really languish and even rely on the worst type of mawkish Irish expat tropes.

Advertisement