Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irishman Abroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I loved the Andrew Maxwell one! But I am a fan anyway. :) I also liked the Enda Brady, Graham Linehan & Paul Howard ones.

I'd be inclined to trim off the music at the end, but I don't mind the 5-10 mins of ads if it keeps a 1 hour (if not longer) show on the road. Fair play to Jarlath for getting a good line of guests and being able to keep it going for the past two years.

I find music too distracting when I am working, so a long-form interview podcast like this is perfect to get me through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Just listened to the very good Baz Ashmawy interview. Hard to believe the show is up to episode 108 - it doesn't seem that long since episode 1.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Ive listened to a good few, I enjoy it but I cant help but find Jarlath slightly annoying at times, I dont mind the ads or him looking for donations etc, at the end of the day its free. But i find he takes far too long to ask a question or to get to the point of a question. Think he needs to understand that the podcast is about his guests and he needs to sit back and let them talk. I also listen to Andrew Mangan's 738 podcast and he is an infinitely better interviewer, he knows when to talk and when not to talk, its just a pity he cant get the calibre of guests that Jarlath has managed although he did manage to get Marc Maron on which was a huge coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I think it's a great podcast but I find he gets a bit over emotional as well like tonight talking to Baz about his relationship with his parents I think Jarlaith got too far into his own personal business and he also has expressed how upset he was by the Dylan Moran interview he took Moran's bristling retorts very personally even though that is what Moran is known for. He needs to grow a thicker skin and step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Horses for courses, I thought the interview with Tom Vaughan-Lawlor was superb, the way TVL opened up about missing Ireland and family. Was listening to it at work, not a good idea, (cough) dusty office (cough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

mang0 wrote: »
    This should be of interest to fans of the show: http://castaway.media/738am/2015/08/episode-31-jarlath-regan/

I was wondering where you got to!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

STB. wrote: »
    I was wondering where you got to!

Who's that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Just want to say thanks to this thread for pointing me in the direction of An Irish man Abroad, I travel with work and find them great to pass time. Just finished listening to Shane Lowery, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I was an avid listener of this up until a while ago, but gave up on it, I just listened to the Dunphy one and I remembered immediately why I stopped listening. Its just Jarlath's style, I dunno, its like he's watched too much Gay Byrne's meaning of life or something, every question takes about an hour to ask like he wants them to know that he's done the research so he just rambles through a really long anecdote and then after a few minutes finally gets to the point. There is also absolutely zero craic out of him, comes across like he has absolutely no personality,If he wasnt a comedian that would be forgiveable but jesus, lighten up man. I cant imagine he gets more people to his gigs on the back of the podcast.

I occasionally listen to the Joe Rooney podcast, and although its not perfect and his guests arent anywhere near the same calibre as Jarlaths at least he lets them talk, he has a much better flow and rapport with his guests and he can also be genuinely funny.

I liked the Eamon Dunphy episode from today.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    ... I occasionally listen to the Joe Rooney podcast, and although its not perfect and his guests arent anywhere near the same calibre as Jarlaths at least he lets them talk, he has a much better flow and rapport with his guests and he can also be genuinely funny.

Yeah, Pod-a-Rooney is a good laugh. The recent one with PJ Gallagher was a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I thought this week's episode with Donald McRae was excellent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was pretty good all right, there didn't seem to be a time limit so he was able to ramble on about different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I thought this week's episode with Donald McRae was excellent.

Came here to post that, very interesting person and speaks so well

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

Incredible episode today with JP and Brendan Byrne. Well done to Jarlath

jets wrote: »
    Incredible episode today with JP and Brendan Byrne. Well done to Jarlath

Jarlaith has found his milieu he should pack the comedy in and pursue a career in radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Jarlaith has found his milieu he should pack the comedy in and pursue a career in radio.

I imagine he's got his sights set on something like that. Comedy isn't a very sustainable career.

Does the podcast do well in England does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Does this podcast have a producer? Needs one!

seachto7 wrote: »
    Does this podcast have a producer? Needs one!

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

It ain't broke so no need to fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

I usually enjoy this but god almighty Jarlath needs to be a little less self-absorbed. Not every story needs to be related to his life.

He has had a great selection of interviewees over the last couple of years in fairness and I do listen to most of them in full. But every week I have a 'throw the iPhone at the wall' moment when JR says something cringeworthy that relates to his life/career/family etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is there anyone involved with Irish Rugby that he hasn't had on on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Britch

Solid episode other day with Jon Drennan who writes with Guardian and Times.

Interesting on Australia, he had tendancy to lose run on himself but wouldn't be alone there on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I listened to this most recent episode with James McClean and the interview was pathetic. He just asked the same sort of questions as he would ask any sportsman, how do you motivate yourself, when did you first realise you love football, do you want your kids to play football.
    I wanted to have him ask McClean about his stance on the poppy. McClean mentions it once and Jarlath brushes over it. About his relationship with Twitter, the abuse he has given out and received. About having played for Northern Ireland and switched to the Republic.
    That was an absolute waste of an hour of my time, of McClean's time.

Ah here. McClean can barely speak and speaks in a monotone, Jarlath was doing his best with a guy whose default is to mumble. If you want a good interview Seamus Coleman was excellent and came across brilliantly. Also re poppy those interviews are via FAI so probably heavily PRed and monitored so it will be vanilla sorry, that's the world of football. Sam Barry tennis player was fascinating and brilliantly done, Jon Drennan as I said was good, and older ones like Jerry Flannery excellent.

Ah here. McClean can barely speak and speaks in a monotone, Jarlath was doing his best with a guy whose default is to mumble. If you want a good interview Seamus Coleman was excellent and came across brilliantly. Also re poppy those interviews are via FAI so probably heavily PRed and monitored so it will be vanilla sorry, that's the world of football. Sam Barry tennis player was fascinating and brilliantly done, Jon Drennan as I said was good, and older ones like Jerry Flannery excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Britch wrote: »

I thought that McClean came across as more articulate than I had expected him to. And it seemed like he wanted to go down the poppy route but Jarlath steered him away from it.

I don't think Dunphy, Matt Cooper, or any other decent interviewer would have let such a massive topic slide

Advertisement