Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are king / queen of the country...

Options
  • 05-05-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

You wake up tomorrow and are bestowed with running the country. You are king / queen and can decide on any new laws you think are useful or important. What would you do?
    • I would ban Irish being compulsory at second level education.
    • Ban all religious congregations of any kind.
    • Force every able man and woman to give up a few hours a week (maybe 3 or 4) making society a better place to live - probably charity work / handyman stuff.
    • Legalise the private use of every drug on the planet. If you want to shoot up heroin in your own home, or deal it on the street, then go for it :pac:
    • Oh and there's now compulsory castration for all convicted paedophiles (where there is no doubt of guilt).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd bestow democracy on the people and abdicate.

Everybody loves a good king.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Appoint a prime minister to do the job for me!

Then its decadence like the last days of Rome.... For the rest of my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd bestow democracy on the people and abdicate.

Everybody loves a good king.

There's a king somewhere trying to do that right now and the people don't want him to because they don't trust the officials that would take over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

With those rules I think you'd be referred to as dictator rather than king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Make sure there's enough cake for the rest of you peasants to eat...... I'm not making the same mistake Marie Antoinette made!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Live in a big house,travel the world to look at half naked dancers and force the kids to breed.

bluewolf wrote: »
    There's a king somewhere trying to do that right now and the people don't want him to because they don't trust the officials that would take over!
    As my last act as monarch. I'd appoint bluewolf as head of the group for easing the transfer to democracy.

Everyone loves a good, smart king.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Build a nuclear arsenal and hold the world to ransom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kill all humans!

Build a nuclear arsenal and hold the world to ransom
    The problem with nuclear arsenals is that, while they look impressive, you are never going to win anything with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People think being the king would be great but it means you're responsible for everything and everybody. If people die due to poor management those deaths fall on you and even if you can get away with being the cause of death becaused your the king you can't avoid your own conscious. If plans don't work out everybody blames you and it's only a matter of time before the population rises up and you end up without a head. It' not like you can go in front of a jury of your peers and if the population has turned on you there's no legal system that could protect you.

I could see the appeal of being ruled by a king, having one point of reference for government would make things easier but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a king. I don't think I could take the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Links234 wrote: »
    Kill all humans!

Mods are safe so! :)

I'd reform the justice system to be far harsher on repeat violent offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would declare a republic and then heads off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

OP, you'd have to bring in harsh punishment for crime and theft which would inevitably happen when people become addicted (legal or not). People can and will become hooked and may not be able to afford to fuel their habit.

Hmm good point. I have no problem with people getting high off their nuts, imagine the possibilities of the Olympics if everyone could take whatever they wanted? I do have a problem with junkies terrorising the place.

The money I'm saving by outlawing religion and Irish could go towards more police.

The police don't all need guns though, no need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Have a vagina grafted on to me so I could be both King and Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd go full Saudi and ban everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Castrate all rapist and pedophiles. No exceptions allowed. No willies for them sick bastárds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

- Institute zero tolerance on loitering, littering, drug use, anti social behaviour, not just in Dublin but all over the country.
    - More Gardai, more pro active
    - Legalise certain drugs, but tax it, and make it heavily controlled.
    - Make the 2 euro chicken roll mandatory everywhere
    - Do something to make the bus run faster. Don't know what, but something.
    - Zero tolerance on sex offenders, rapists, paedophiles, murderers.
    - If something has an addiction of some sort, and therefore a normal prison isn't the best place for them, don't lock them up and leave them to stew, build rehabilitation centres, teach them, not just punish. Still punish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wazky wrote: »
    Have a vagina grafted on to me so I could be both King and Queen.

You could go fcuk yourself.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    - Do something to make the bus run faster. Don't know what, but something.

Stop making the bus run would be a start, driving it is way faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

1 .Round up about 200,000 people(reckon that should cover it) and ship them off to some islands somewhere.
    1a. If I can't find suitable islands, I'll strike a deal with North Korea to take them from me.
    2. Tell anyone who rebels against me, I'll kill the 200,000.
    3. Enact cruel and pointless laws so I can have some fun.
    4. Build an army of killer robots so that when the inevitable rebellion/invasion comes, I can crush them.

Oh, I'd have to establish good links with Russia, Iran, North Korea and all other countries run by mad men/warmongers.

wazky wrote: »
    Stop making the bus run would be a start, driving it is way faster.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Castrate all rapist and pedophiles. No exceptions allowed. No willies for them sick bastárds

That's not what castration means

He's hosted by his own petard.

It is if your surgical implements include a garden shears.

cloud493 wrote: »
    He's hosted by his own petard.

I may as well just delete my account now, I'm forever tainted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You wake up tomorrow and are bestowed with running the country. You are king / queen and can decide on any new laws you think are useful or important. What would you do?
    • I would ban Irish being compulsory at second level education. One would think that a king would want people speaking the language of his kingdom
    • Ban all religious congregations of any kind. Forcing your religious beliefs or lack of them on your people. You will be over thrown in a week.
    • Force every able man and woman to give up a few hours a week (maybe 3 or 4) making society a better place to live - probably charity work / handyman stuff.
      Why would someone earning over 100 euro an hour do handyman stuff for free or do charity stuff. They could pay people to do it for less and also provide jobs to the handyman you have just made unemployed

• Legalise the private use of every drug on the planet. If you want to shoot up heroin in your own home, or deal it on the street, then go for it :pac: where do I start

• Oh and there's now compulsory castration for all convicted paedophiles (where there is no doubt of guilt).
      There is always doubt. E.g Birmingham six, Guildford 4.

There's a reason monarch systems don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ban all stupid thread that have been done at least once in the previous month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Ideally, if you're going to be a king, you need to be wan and pale

Everyone loves a wan king

Advertisement