Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday or Saturday wedding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pwurple wrote: »
    Think about people such as teachers as well, where it's very difficult to take term time off.

True. During certain times of the year I am not allowed to take annual leave and we've declined invitations because of this. There's myriad reasons why someone can't go to a wedding, no point worrying about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    As a guest, I much prefer Fridays.
    Makes the weekend longer, and a lovely feeling celebrating on Friday knowing the rest are back in the office working away!
    With regards people complaining that it takes time off their AL, I treat such weddings as valued holidays themselves and enjoy the celebration. If it's such an inconvienence, think about why you are attending in the first place.
    And yes, I've had a few years with 8 or 9 weddings in the same year, but it was still brilliant. it may have reduced holiday time, but I worked my holidays around them.

Well that would have been my thoughts exactly, but some people just seem to care more about themselves rather than that one special day of a friend. One day a year, but there ye go.

In fairness most people i'd be asking will be there because they want to be there and i want them there.

Teachers get personal days too fwiw, i went out with one and Friday weddings were never an issue, especially given the guts of a years notice. It's probably in June anyway.

Mods can lock down this thread, i got what i wanted from it, cheers :)

Why even bother asking a question like that if you don't like the answers :confused:

Mods don't necessarily read all threads, if you want it locked it's usually best to report it.

Leave her open then, no odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Slattsy wrote: »
    One of your best, closest mates biggest days of his life and your worried about 1 annual day? 1 day.
    You get what 25 annual days a year. Flexi days too maybe? Few sickies.

Stuff like that annoys me. Sorry.

Jesus! You have some attitude.

I get 20 days annual leave a year myself (in a 9:00-5:30 Monday to Friday job.) My manager gets first choice of days off, if she's off, I'm not off, simple as that.

I don't do sickies. I don't have flexi-time. I think both are the exception, rather than the rule.

If my son is ever sick, he won't be allowed attend creche, so that's a good few days gone. The other days, I'd rather do with them as I choose. I'd probably rather spend them with my son, who I will miss enough time with for his early years, rather than using them up for an expensive p*ss-up. Even if it's a close friend, chances are you'll only spend a few minutes with them during the day.

Trust me, your wedding is not as important to anyone else as it is to yourselves. And we would all absolutely prefer to waste a weekend day at it, than use up some of our precious annual leave that we would much rather have to ourselves, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Why even bother asking a question like that if you don't like the answers :confused:
    QUOTE]

The responses were great, got exactly what i wanted.
    Most made perfect sense, if not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Glad you got the answer needed Slattsy best of luck with the planning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We went for a Friday, mainly because the venue wasn't available on the Saturday and because we like Friday weddings. It's also a bank holiday and there's a festival around town that weekend so it's a good weekend, our guests can make a weekend out of it(if they want to of course !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lazygal wrote: »
    True. During certain times of the year I am not allowed to take annual leave and we've declined invitations because of this. There's myriad reasons why someone can't go to a wedding, no point worrying about it though.

Oh yes for sure, loads of different reasons. Location, member of the family ill, loads. The reason doesn't even matter, it could be that they go ballooning on a certain day of the week, or their adoration of St Elephantine forbids them leaving the house unless it's a wednesday. The OP asked for a preference, and was miffed when people actually expressed their preference and gave their reason. Mind boggled. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Well that would have been my thoughts exactly, but some people just seem to care more about themselves rather than that one special day of a friend. One day a year, but there ye go.

Ooooh you're in for a rude awakening when you actually set a date. Wait till you see what actually goes on on the run up to your wedding!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ooooh you're in for a rude awakening when you actually set a date. Wait till you see what actually goes on on the run up to your wedding!!

Ohhhh I love this flippyfloppy tell us a few stories !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

One of your best, closest mates biggest days of his life and your worried about 1 annual day? 1 day.
    You get what 25 annual days a year. Flexi days too maybe? Few sickies.

Stuff like that annoys me. Sorry.

Sickies? Flex days?

I think we can guess in which sector you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Sickies? Flex days?

Don't tar everyone in the public sector with the same brush. I'm a public servant and I work weekends, nights, 3 Saturdays out of every 4, don't have flexi time and never pull sickies

And actually I've used up lots of annual leave to attend people's weddings on Saturdays too by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sickies? Flex days?

Yes! I think that's quite the unfair comment!! I'm a public sector worker, and I've never had a flexi day, nor do I know any others who have!! And I ring in sick only when I have a sick note (or the vomiting bug!!!).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Locked per OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement