Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday or Saturday wedding

Options
  • 05-05-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Finding it really hard to decide what day to get married.

Anyone got a list of pros/cons for either day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Given the choice I prefer a Saturday. Not everyone is willing or able to take a Friday off, plus Friday prices aren't necessarily cheaper than a Saturday from your perspective.

However, one thing I love about a Friday wedding is having the extra day before going back to work.

In the end for a lot of couples it actually comes down to availability rather than preference. Getting the venue/band/solemniser you really want can mean compromising on your date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

No difference in prices where we're looking.
    I know the Friday people need to take a day off work, but i'd be hopeful giving them a years notice they'll have no problem doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Not sure if you're planning a church or a civil ceremony, but we had a civil ceremony with the standard HSE solemniser which meant we had to have the wedding on a weekday - they don't work weekends. At least, they didn't 2 years ago. Perhaps things have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No change with the HSE but humainist & spiritualist are legal and can be any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Not sure if you're planning a church or a civil ceremony, but we had a civil ceremony with the standard HSE solemniser which meant we had to have the wedding on a weekday - they don't work weekends. At least, they didn't 2 years ago. Perhaps things have changed?

No, still only working weekdays.

• Advertisement

Its a church ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

We're getting married on a Saturday, we didn't want guests having to take a day off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Well if it makes no odds to cost I would think a Saturday wedding, so as people don't have to take a day off. we are going for a Friday one just because really we cant do it on the Saturday that's the only reason.. Depends aswell if people have to travel far

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We did Saturday to save people having to take a day's leave. As a guest, I've always preferred Saturday to Friday.

Cheers.
    I've been a guest at too many weddings over the years and never ever thought taking a Friday off was a problem.
    Maybe thats just me, but for a friend or family its hardly a pain, is it?

• Advertisement

And what about next day drinking?? Saturday is better for that i reckon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheers.
    I've been a guest at too many weddings over the years and never ever thought taking a Friday off was a problem.
    Maybe thats just me, but for a friend or family its hardly a pain, is it?

It could be for some people, I'd rather just save them the hassle.

It cost us extra, but worth it in our opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Not everyone works Monday to Friday ya know! :-) you know your guests though obviously so you'll know if you have any shift workers.

I'd say 70% of our guests are shift workers and Saturday & Sundays are a nightmare to get leave for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Finding it really hard to decide what day to get married.

Anyone got a list of pros/cons for either day.

Saturday please. My annual leave days are precious to me. I'd prefer to use them for holidays with my family rather than your wedding, given the option.

pwurple wrote: »
    Saturday please. My annual leave days are precious to me. I'd prefer to use them for holidays with my family rather than your wedding, given the option.

One of your best, closest mates biggest days of his life and your worried about 1 annual day? 1 day.
    You get what 25 annual days a year. Flexi days too maybe? Few sickies.

Stuff like that annoys me. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭midnight_train

It sounds like you prefer Friday. But as a guest, I definitely prefer Saturdays. I'm a M-F contract worker, as are many of my friends, and I don't get paid for days that I don't work. So, I generally would avoid Friday weddings as a rule - between the loss of wages in taking a day off and then giving a money gift, etc, it just wouldn't be affordable. I do think it's a lot to ask of wedding guests, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

One of your best, closest mates biggest days of his life and your worried about 1 annual day? 1 day.

If 4 of your best, closest mates got married in the one year then that's 4 days of annual leave if they choose to get married on a day that you work. I know people who have had 8 weddings in one year. If they were all close friends then you'd have to use 8 annual leave days if they got married on a Friday.

It may be the biggest day of the grooms life, but even to his closest friends it's just another wedding.

We're leaning towards Saturday actually.
    Lol

If 4 of your best, closest mates got married in the one year then that's 4 days of annual leave if they choose to get married on a day that you work. I know people who have had 8 weddings in one year. If they were all close friends then you'd have to use 8 annual leave days if they got married on a Friday.

It may be the biggest day of the grooms life, but even to his closest friends it's just another wedding.

It's never just another wedding for closest mates. Might be for work mates etc but for your 'core' friends per say it's always a big deal. Well for me and my mates anyway.
    8 is excessive and quite rare and I'd imagine. 6 is my own record!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bear in mind if you have people who have to travel a good distance they may have to come the day before. That means if you are having a Friday wedding that some people may have to come the day before and that means two days off work.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you have people who have to travel a good distance they may have to come the day before. That means if you are having a Friday wedding that some people may have to come the day before and that means two days off work.

Not an issue. Max 2 hours for some. No issue for a 1pm mass.

Was interesting to hear people's thoughts on this. Surprising.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

My sibling married last year and calculated that only 5% of the invitees that were in employment at the time worked in 9-5, Monday to Friday jobs.

I prefer a Friday wedding. It leaves some of the weekend for myself

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depends on your job. I get 28 days a year because I've been in the job 10 years, newbies only get 20. You'd be surprised how quick 20 days disappear, especially if your workplace closes at xmas and you're forced to take 5 days then. It's all very well saying "you're worried about 1 annual day?" but it the person has several weddings to go to that year then it's potentially a quarter or more of their annual days gone.

I know you're giving a year or more notice, but it's not that straightforward in some jobs. For example, where I work the 'holiday' list goes round in January - seniority in rank and length of service determines who gets first choice etc, so regardless of how much notice I got, if that day was already booked, it'd be tough luck on me - we're only allowed 2 people off at the same time so we can keep the business operating. At the end of the day, it might be a case that someone who really wants to be there isn't able to get the day off.

If the majority of your guests are monday-friday workers, then go with the saturday. If they want to have an extra 'recovery' day then they can take the monday off, but at least that way they'll have the option of going and not taking any annual leave. If the majority of your guests work varying days then either would suit.

I get 20 days, and usually have to take 14 of them around plant shutdowns. No flexi days, no idea wtf that is. If my kids are sick I have to take those out of my leave as well. For the past three years i've been able to take less than 4 days a year as actual 'holiday', which makes them fairly precious.

Never pulled a sickie in my life. Stuff like that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Saturday all the way. Even for parents who need sitters!! Fridays can just be inconvenient! Saturday of a bank hol weekend would be best if you wanna drink the next day away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We had a Friday wedding. I'm sure some people found it inconvenient but we had our own reasons for going that route, mainly ceremony related. We held the ceremony at 3pm and a good few people took a half rather than a full day from work. We also had very few traveling long distances to get to the venue. We made sure to provide lots of food and drink and make things as low cost as possible to attend. If we can't attend a wedding we just decline, be it because of the time or other reasons. No big deal. We had declines for our wedding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Hotels are quieter on a Friday. We pretty much had the hotel to ourselves.

I find Saturday weddings can get a bit squishy when you are sitting amongst customers in a hotel bar and a match is blaring on the tv. I was at a wedding once where this was the case and it was just awful because we were amongst people roaring and cursing at the game. If I had just gone in for lunch or something then fine but I felt it ruined the wedding atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As a guest, I much prefer Fridays.
    Makes the weekend longer, and a lovely feeling celebrating on Friday knowing the rest are back in the office working away!
    With regards people complaining that it takes time off their AL, I treat such weddings as valued holidays themselves and enjoy the celebration. If it's such an inconvienence, think about why you are attending in the first place.
    And yes, I've had a few years with 8 or 9 weddings in the same year, but it was still brilliant. it may have reduced holiday time, but I worked my holidays around them.

• Advertisement

Think about people such as teachers as well, where it's very difficult to take term time off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement