Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 5th Oct 2013 at 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

For anyone who hasn't entered yet, this promo code is valid 'aking'. I used it yesterday. Hopefully it will save you a few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I never knew there was a discount code when I entered. balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭Trampas

It's saying €29 to enter now.

Numbers must be low

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

entry closes tonight - debating on whether to do this as the last long run - is it worth doing as a marathon prep?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

entry closes tonight - debating on whether to do this as the last long run - is it worth doing as a marathon prep?

Would you rather run 30+km by yourself or with a couple of hundred others with water stations and paramedics on hand? Running that sort of distance is serious business and if you can get this kind of support, it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Yep - highly recommend it having done it the last 2yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Yep - highly recommend it having done it the last 2yrs.

Yup I'd agree, this is my 3rd or maybe 4th time doing it I think. Very well organised, well timed for DCM (or Frankfurt in my case) & the plushest changing rooms I've ever been in as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

It would be really stupid to travel all the way from Firhouse at 8am this morning for this race to arrive in Glasson to an empty hotel with no marshals or cars parked up on grass etc. That would be really silly...😖

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck to all those running on Athlone in the morning.....enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

Had a bit of a disaster at this!

Final long run for New York marathon and was going grand with the 4hr marathon pace group.

Hit a pothole at 18k and came down very hard on my ankle. I'm now sitting on a trolley in Tullamore A&E feeling very sorry for myself!

My ankle is like a golf ball. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Volunteered at this today, first time had pleasure of observing Gary O Hanlon racing, he came through at my junction with a big smile on his face and was able to have a few words with me & man was he moving at the time.

The 3.40 DCM group are in safe hands judging by what i seen, AMK and meno had a fine group towing the line with them. Claralara was 4th placed lady when i seen her and running strong. Seemed to have went well from what i seen and there was a decent crowd running it.

Really enjoyed that, cheery marshals, good well stocked water/aid stations and great race swag. Set out to run slow, not walk and run all the hills. Hit 2 out of 3 but came in a bit faster than planned.

Marathon or not, Athlone 3/4 will certainly be on my plans for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4rd time doing it for me. Always a fav event for me. Did it today as a pacer for the 3 hrs. Struggled a bit towards the end but had some time banked for the hill towards the end. Had a big pacer train early and they seemed to push on in the 2nd half. Everyone I spoke to seemed happy. Sorry to hear about your injury Slim Dedalus, that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Enjoyed the race but cramped up with 5k to go. Struggled through it but couldn't walk properly for an hour or so after finishing. Salt and physio got me driving back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

First time doing the race and what an event it is. Excellent facilities, excellent refreshments both on the course (jelly beans @ mile 16 brought me home :) ) and at the end. Ended up getting a bit carried away with myself and followed the 3.30 pacers instead of the 4.00 pacers. Lasted well until the last couple of km's where i ended up getting cramp. I know i'll never last at that pace but lesson learned and onwards and upwards to DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Had a bit of a disaster at this!

Final long run for New York marathon and was going grand with the 4hr marathon pace group.

Hit a pothole at 18k and came down very hard on my ankle. I'm now sitting on a trolley in Tullamore A&E feeling very sorry for myself!

My ankle is like a golf ball. :-(

Really sorry to hear that, fingers crossed there's time for it to repair itself before NY.

Perfectly run event again today I thought, very impressed how they warded off the cr*p weather 'til everyone was safely finished as well :)

I did my own thing rather than run with a pacing group like the last two times and it went ok. Passed a very frustrated runner on the final hill who alternated between giving fantastic encouragement to everyone else & beating himself up! Knew exactly how he felt as I had to walk up parts of that hill myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

opus wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that, fingers crossed there's time for it to repair itself before NY.

Perfectly run event again today I thought, very impressed how they warded off the cr*p weather 'til everyone was safely finished as well :)

I did my own thing rather than run with a pacing group like the last two times and it went ok. Passed a very frustrated runner on the final hill who alternated between giving fantastic encouragement to everyone else & beating himself up! Knew exactly how he felt as I had to walk up parts of that hill myself last year.

Thanks! No running for two weeks (at least) and plenty of ice & elevation for the next few days. Very relieved that there was no bone or ligament damage.

Paramedics on course were very helpful and had me braced for bad news due to how badly I'd swollen up. Marshall who drove me from 18k mark to finish deserves thanks too.

I'm going to be running the marathon without a 20 miler done and the 4hr target is gone but I still have a shot at it. I'm feeling very relieved tonight!

Pity it happened on what was otherwise a very enjoyable, well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Third year running it, and it's a course that keeps on giving. Great organisation, great venue and a really great course. Seems to suit Gary o hanlon down to the ground. He set a course record there today with 1:45 and change.

Only downside was 12.50 euro for the food in the bar afterwards seemed a bit steep. Not sure if there was discounts for runners, but I didn't get it anyway :)

Well done anyway to all involved. Glad to hear your not out of the race Slim.

Muppet man

One thing that annoyed me today, a lot, was the amount of gel wrappers strewn around in the hedges. If you were able to carry full ones around, then you have the ability to carry the wrappers home or to the next available wheely bin.

I'm not going on about those thrown away at or close to water stations or the water station bins, but those discarded outside of those areas. Its not difficult to carry them back home and both creates hassle for the clean up team and I assume possible black marks with local residents and county councils for future events.

I called one runner up on it, from a well known running club with a number of competitors today and she was shocked that I seemed to care. Her attitude really annoyed me.

Anyway, rant over, maybe I'm just tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

One thing that annoyed me today, a lot, was the amount of gel wrappers strewn around in the hedges. If you were able to carry full ones around, then you have the ability to carry the wrappers home or to the next available wheely bin.

I'm not going on about those thrown away at or close to water stations or the water station bins, but those discarded outside of those areas. Its not difficult to carry them back home and both creates hassle for the clean up team and I assume possible black marks with local residents and county councils for future events.

I called one runner up on it, from a well known running club with a number of competitors today and she was shocked that I seemed to care. Her attitude really annoyed me.

Anyway, rant over, maybe I'm just tired.

You are absolutely right Killian. I was pacing 3:30 group with auldmanking and I was saying the same thing; nobody should be throwing bottles or gel wrappers on the side of the road outside of water stations/bins. Thankfully most people took notice but there were still a few numpties who thought it was ok to throw their bottle into the grass at the side of the road. Luckily no-one decided to hurl the bottles into the nearest field or I might have had an eppo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

tang1 wrote: »
    Volunteered at this today, first time had pleasure of observing Gary O Hanlon racing, he came through at my junction with a big smile on his face and was able to have a few words with me & man was he moving at the time.

The 3.40 DCM group are in safe hands judging by what i seen, AMK and meno had a fine group towing the line with them. Claralara was 4th placed lady when i seen her and running strong. Seemed to have went well from what i seen and there was a decent crowd running it.

Missed you today - apologies if you shouted and we missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

menoscemo wrote: »
    You are absolutely right Killian. I was pacing 3:30 group with auldmanking and I was saying the same thing; nobody should be throwing bottles or gel wrappers on the side of the road in the road outside of water stations/bins. Thankfully most people took notice but there were still a few numpties who thought it was ok to throw their bottle into the grass at the side of the road. Luckily no-one decided to hurl the bottles into the nearest field or I might have had an eppo...

I think it's got worse rather than better in the 5 years i've been running. Saw one plonker today toss his water bottle onto the lawn of somebody's garden.

Also to the guy who I saw taking a half full box of Freddo's instead of a pack or two- I hope you get fat and slow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Really enjoyed this race, second year doing it and I enjoyed it even more than last year, I think it helps when you get more familiar with the route and can brace yourself for the hills (and not just that section at the end). I thought the atmosphere was great, loads of banter and chat from runners and some of the marshals were very good at keeping us going with encouragement. The top and bandana were great and the water stations and the goodies at the end were perfect, particularly the Red Bull which I gave to my other half who was on driving duty so that we got home in one piece! Definitely a race I'll do again as it's perfect prep for DCM, you just need to remember not to go at full tilt and hopefully reach the end with something left in the legs for a few weeks time. Well done to the race organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Ran it with the 3.30 pacers - they did an amazing job and just through general chat from them throughout I learned a lot more about racing, prep etc. Both did a great job of keeping spirits up. Was able to push on from Mile 15 to do the last few at about 7.15 tp 7.3- pace, even the hills. Felt great to be able to pick people off. Maybe a little harder than I should have run but I felt great and had kept it conservative up to then. Hoping 3.30 is ok for me now for DCM.

Overall a great race. Well organised, friendly atmosphere and its just nice to be running on those country back roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Missed you today - apologies if you shouted and we missed it.

No worries, I gave ye a good shout but both of ye were engrossed in conversation with runners in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petitmember

tang1 wrote: »
    No worries, I gave ye a good shout but Meno was pontificating

FYP ;)

FYP ;)

Hello Andy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hello Andy :pac:

Did you play golf before or after the run Meno?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did you play golf before or after the run Meno?

Nope, why? AMK says he played the course a few times though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great event yesterday. Very well organised and marshaled. My experience (as always) was extremely positive. One things to consider. I think the course could do with an extra water stop. For example, look at Moone last week when temperatures reached over 20 degrees. There was an abundance of water-stops. It was a freak day but it does happen.

A top-notch event on a fantastic course. Didn't really notice that little hill bump at the end.....yeah right! :)

Advertisement