Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Sunday's Gospel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Vigil of the Nativity of our Lord

Commemoration of the fourth Sunday after Advent

Station at St Mary Major

Indulgence of 15 years and 15 quarantines

Double from Lauds onwards, Privilege of the First Class

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános

Rom i. 1-6

Paulus, servus Iesu Christi, vocátus Apóstolus, segregátus in Evangélium Dei, quod ante promíserat per Prophétas suos in Scriptúris sanctis de Fílio suo, qui factus est ei ex sémine David secúndum carnem: qui prædestinátus est Fílius Dei in virtúte secúndum spíritum sanctificatiónis ex resurrectióne mortuórum Iesu Christi, Dómini nostri: per quem accépimus grátiam, et apostolátum ad obœdiéndum fídei in ómnibus géntibus pro nómine eius, in quibus estis et vos vocáti Iesu Christi, Dómini nostri.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Reading from St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

Rom i. 1-6

Paul, the servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an Apostle, set apart for the Gospel of God, which He had promised before-hand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, concerning His Son Who was born to Him according to the flesh of the offspring of David; Who was foreordained Son of God by an act of power in keeping with the holiness of His spirit, by resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through Whom we have received the grace of apostleship to bring about obedience to faith among all the nations for His name’s sake; among whom are you also called to be Jesus Christ’s, our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secundum Matthǽum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt i. 18 - 21

Cum esset desponsáta Mater Iesu Maria Ioseph, ántequam convenírent, inventa est in útero habens de Spiritu Sancto. Ioseph autem, vir eius, cum esset iustus et nollet eam tradúcere, vóluit occúlte dimíttere eam. Hæc autem eo cogitánte, ecce, Angelus Dómini appáruit in somnis ei, dicens: Ioseph, fili David, noli timére accípere Maríam cóniugem tuam: quod enim in ea natum est, de Spíritu Sancto est. Páriet autem fílium, et vocábis nomen eius Iesum: ipse enim salvum fáciet pópulum suum a peccátis eórum.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

S. Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt i. 18 - 21

When Mary, the Mother of Jesus, has been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. But Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wishing to expose her to reproach, was minded to put her away privately. But while he thought on these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Do not be afraid, Joseph, son of David, to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is begotten in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus; for He shall save His people from their sins.

R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

Meditate on the marvels of the Lord's mercy vouchsafed in His Incarnation that when the last morning dawns, we may contemplate those of His glory.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 127.

St Anthony's church, Whanganui, NZ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Fourth Sunday of Advent

Lectionary: 11

Gospel

Lk 1:26-38

The angel Gabriel was sent from God

to a town of Galilee called Nazareth,

to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph,

of the house of David,

and the virgin's name was Mary.

And coming to her, he said,

"Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you."

But she was greatly troubled at what was said

and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.

Then the angel said to her,

"Do not be afraid, Mary,

for you have found favor with God.

"Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son,

and you shall name him Jesus.

He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High,

and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,

and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever,

and of his kingdom there will be no end."

But Mary said to the angel,

"How can this be,

since I have no relations with a man?"

And the angel said to her in reply,

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you,

and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.

Therefore the child to be born

will be called holy, the Son of God.

And behold, Elizabeth, your relative,

has also conceived a son in her old age,

and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren;

for nothing will be impossible for God."

Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.

May it be done to me according to your word."

Then the angel departed from her.

Source :

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/

https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings

Irish https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish

Audio http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary: Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

The angels of Heaven are so beautiful, real and glorious, and Jesus Christ is the most glorious, most beautiful in the kingdom. Heaven is an awesome place, that you cannot afford to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

Temporary to Eternal

You are only temporary in the world, on a journey to the the Eternal, your end destination.

Do not live your lives as if you are here forever, you are not, but only on a journey as foreigners and exiles, strangers that do not belong to the earthly kingdoms but only to My Everlasting Kingdom that is not of the world and The only Kingdom that will last Forever, the Eternal. I Am The King of Glory of My Everlasting Kingdom and besides Me there is no other and will never be.

Live the temporary now Pleasing to Me and in My Perfect Will, to be Found Worthy by Me to Inherit My Everlasting Kingdom, The Eternal. You will not be disappointed. The best is yet to come. I do Not Fail nor do I Disappoint. I Love and I Care for you.

Sunday within the Octave of the Nativity of Our Lord

Semi-Double

White Vestments

Lectio

Lectio Epístolæ beati Pauli Apostoli ad Gálatas

Gal iv. 1-7

Fratres: Quanto témpore heres párvulus est, nihil differt a servo, cum sit dóminus ómnium: sed sub tutóribus et actóribus est usque ad præfinítum tempus a patre: ita et nos, cum essémus párvuli, sub eleméntis mundi erámus serviéntes. At ubi venit plenitúdo témporis, misit Deus Fílium suum, factum ex mulíere, factum sub lege, ut eos, qui sub lege erant, redímeret, ut adoptiónem filiórum reciperémus. Quóniam autem estis fílii, misit Deus Spíritum Fílii sui in corda vestra, clamántem: Abba, Pater. Itaque iam non est servus, sed fílius: quod si fílius, et heres per Deum.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Galatians

Gal iv. 1-7

Brethren: As long as the heir is a child, he differs in no way from a slave, though he is the master of all; but he is under guardians and stewards until the time set by his father. So we too, when we were children, were enslaved under the elements of the world. But when the fullness of time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, Abba, Father. So that He is no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, an heir also through God.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luke ii. 33-40

In illo témpore: Erat Ioseph et Maria Mater Iesu, mirántes super his quæ dicebántur de illo. Et benedíxit illis Símeon, et dixit ad Maríam Matrem eius: Ecce, pósitus est hic in ruínam et in resurrectiónem multórum in Israël: et in signum, cui contradicétur: et tuam ipsíus ánimam pertransíbit gládius, ut reveléntur ex multis córdibus cogitatiónes. Et erat Anna prophetíssa, fília Phánuel, de tribu Aser: hæc procésserat in diébus multis, et víxerat cum viro suo annis septem a virginitáte sua. Et hæc vídua usque ad annos octogínta quátuor: quæ non discedébat de templo, ieiúniis et obsecratiónibus sérviens nocte ac die. Et hæc, ipsa hora supervéniens, confitebátur Dómino, et loquebátur de illo ómnibus, qui exspectábant redemptiónem Israël. Et ut perfecérunt ómnia secúndum legem Dómini, revérsi sunt in Galilaeam in civitátem suam Názareth. Puer autem crescébat, et confortabátur, plenus sapiéntia: et grátia Dei erat in illo.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Luke ii. 33-40

At that time, Joseph and Mary, the mother of Jesus were marvelling at the things spoken concerning Him. And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and for the rise of many in Israel, and for a sign that shall be contradicted. And your own soul a sword shall pierce, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed. There was also Anna, a prophetess, daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser. She was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years from her maidenhood, and by herself as a widow to eighty-four years. She never left the temple, with fastings and prayers worshipping night and day. And coming up at that very hour, she began to give praise to the Lord, and spoke of Him to all who were awaiting the redemption of Jerusalem. And when they had fulfilled all things as prescribed in the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, into their own town of Nazareth. And the Child grew and became strong. He was full of wisdom and the grace of God was upon Him.

S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

Today’s liturgy admirably complete the teaching of Christmas. The Son of God has come into the world to redeem us to make us sons of God (Epistle). He will be the sign of contradiction which shall be set free for the fall and resurrection of many in Israel (Gospel).

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year; Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol OSB, sixteenth edition, revised and brought up to date by the Benedictines of Quarr Abbey, The Talbot Press, Dublin, 1957, pp 55-57.

SSPX NZ

• Advertisement

Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph

Lectionary: 17

Gospel

LK 2:22-40

When the days were completed for their purification 

according to the law of Moses, 

They took him up to Jerusalem

to present him to the Lord,

just as it is written in the law of the Lord, 

Every male that opens the womb shall be consecrated to the Lord, 

and to offer the sacrifice of

a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons, 

in accordance with the dictate in the law of the Lord.

Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon.

This man was righteous and devout,

awaiting the consolation of Israel, 

and the Holy Spirit was upon him.

It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit 

that he should not see death 

before he had seen the Christ of the Lord.

He came in the Spirit into the temple; 

and when the parents brought in the child Jesus 

to perform the custom of the law in regard to him, 

He took him into his arms and blessed God, saying:

“Now, Master, you may let your servant go

in peace, according to your word,

for my eyes have seen your salvation,

which you prepared in sight of all the peoples,

a light for revelation to the Gentiles,

and glory for your people Israel.”

The child’s father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; 

and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, 

“Behold, this child is destined 

for the fall and rise of many in Israel,

and to be a sign that will be contradicted 

—and you yourself a sword will pierce— 

so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

There was also a prophetess, Anna, 

the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher.

She was advanced in years, 

having lived seven years with her husband after her marriage, 

and then as a widow until she was eighty-four.

She never left the temple, 

but worshiped night and day with fasting and prayer.

And coming forward at that very time, 

she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child 

to all who were awaiting the redemption of Jerusalem. 

When they had fulfilled all the prescriptions

of the law of the Lord,

they returned to Galilee,

to their own town of Nazareth.

The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; 

and the favor of God was upon him.

Source :

Commentary: Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament

Feast of the Holy Family

Commemoration of the octave of Epiphany

Greater-double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Isaíæ Prophétæ

Col iii. 12-17

Fratres: Indúite vos sicut elécti Dei, sancti et dilécti, víscera misericórdiæ, benignitátem, humilitátem, modéstiam, patiéntiam: supportántes ínvicem, et donántes vobismetípsis, si quis advérsus áliquem habet querélam: sicut et Dóminus donávit vobis, ita et vos. Super ómnia autem hæc caritátem habéte, quod est vínculum perfectiónis: et pax Christi exsúltet in córdibus vestris, in qua et vocáti estis in uno córpore: et grati estóte. Verbum Christi hábitet in vobis abundánter, in omni sapiéntia, docéntes et commonéntes vosmetípsos psalmis, hymnis et cánticis spirituálibus, in grátia cantántes in córdibus vestris Deo. Omne, quodcúmque fácitis in verbo aut in ópere, ómnia in nómine Dómini Iesu Christi, grátias agéntes Deo et Patri per ipsum.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Colossians

Col iii. 12-17

Brethren: Put on, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, meekness, patience. Bear with one another and forgive one another, if anyone has a grievance against any other; even as the Lord has forgiven you, so also do you forgive. But above all these things have charity, which is the bond of perfection. And may the peace of Christ reign in your hearts; unto that peace, indeed, you were called in one body. Show yourselves thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you abundantly: in all wisdom teach and admonish one another by psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, singing in your hearts to God by His grace. Whatever you do in word or in work, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Jesus Christ our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luke ii. 42-52

Cum factus esset Iesus annórum duódecim, ascendéntibus illis Ierosólymam secúndum consuetúdinem diéi festi, consummatísque diébus, cum redírent, remánsit puer Iesus in Ierúsalem, et non cognovérunt paréntes eius. Existimántes autem illum esse in comitátu, venérunt iter diéi, et requirébant eum inter cognátos et notos. Et non inveniéntes, regréssi sunt in Ierúsalem, requiréntes eum. Et factum est, post tríduum invenérunt illum in templo sedéntem in médio doctórum, audiéntem illos et interrogántem eos. Stupébant autem omnes, qui eum audiébant, super prudéntia et respónsis eius. Et vidéntes admiráti sunt. Et dixit Mater eius ad illum: Fili, quid fecísti nobis sic? Ecce, pater tuus et ego doléntes quærebámus te. Et ait ad illos: Quid est, quod me quærebátis? Nesciebátis, quia in his, quæ Patris mei sunt, opórtet me esse? Et ipsi non intellexérunt verbum, quod locútus est ad eos. Et descéndit cum eis, et venit Názareth: et erat súbditus illis. Et Mater eius conservábat ómnia verba hæc in corde suo. Et Iesus proficiébat sapiéntia et ætáte et grátia apud Deum et hómines.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke ii. 42-52

When Jesus was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. And after they had fulfilled the days, when they were returning, the Boy Jesus remained in Jerusalem, and His parents did not know it. But thinking that He was in the caravan, they had come a day’s journey before it occurred to them to look for Him among their relatives and acquaintances. And not finding Him, they returned to Jerusalem in search of Him. And it came to pass after three days, that they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who were listening to Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers. And when they saw Him, they were astonished. And His Mother said to Him, Son, why have You done so to us? Behold, in sorrow Your father and I have been seeking You. And He said to them, How is it that you sought Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business? And they did not understand the word that He spoke to them. And He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them; and His Mother kept all these things carefully in her heart. And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and grace before God and men.

The Church proposes for our imitation the virtues of Jesus, Mary and Joseph in their hidden and lowly life at Nazareth, especially the humility of the Son of God, shown in His obedience to His mother and foster father.

Saint Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the Celebration of Daily Mass, Completely Revised Edition Including New Mass Rubrics and the Holy Week Liturgy, Edited by Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D, Introduction by Rev. Richard Kugelman C.P. S.T.L., S.S.L in according the New Code of Rubrics, New Edition 1963. p. 91.

The Epiphany of the Lord

Lectionary: 20

Gospel

Mt 2:1-12

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea,

in the days of King Herod, 

behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, 

“Where is the newborn king of the Jews?

We saw his star at its rising

and have come to do him homage.”

When King Herod heard this,

he was greatly troubled, 

and all Jerusalem with him.

Assembling all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, 

He inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.

They said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, 

for thus it has been written through the prophet:

And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah,

are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;

since from you shall come a ruler,

who is to shepherd my people Israel.”

Then Herod called the magi secretly 

and ascertained from them the time of the star’s appearance.

He sent them to Bethlehem and said, 

“Go and search diligently for the child.

When you have found him, bring me word, 

that I too may go and do him homage.”

After their audience with the king they set out.

And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them, 

until it came and stopped over the place where the child was.

They were overjoyed at seeing the star, 

and on entering the house

they saw the child with Mary his mother.

They prostrated themselves and did him homage.

Then they opened their treasures 

and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, 

they departed for their country by another way.

Source :

Second Sunday after Epiphany

Commemoration of St Hillary, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom XII. 6-16

Fratres: Habéntes donatiónes secúndum grátiam, quæ data est nobis, differéntes: sive prophétiam secúndum ratiónem fídei, sive ministérium in ministrándo, sive qui docet in doctrína, qui exhortátur in exhortándo, qui tríbuit in simplicitáte, qui præest in sollicitúdine, qui miserétur in hilaritáte. Diléctio sine simulatióne. Odiéntes malum, adhæréntes bono: Caritáte fraternitátis ínvicem diligéntes: Honóre ínvicem præveniéntes: Sollicitúdine non pigri: Spíritu fervéntes: Dómino serviéntes: Spe gaudéntes: In tribulatióne patiéntes: Oratióni instántes: Necessitátibus sanctórum communicántes: Hospitalitátem sectántes. Benedícite persequéntibus vos: benedícite, et nolíte maledícere. Gaudére cum gaudéntibus, flere cum fléntibus: Idípsum ínvicem sentiéntes: Non alta sapiéntes, sed humílibus consentiéntes.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

Rom XII. 6-16

Brethren: We have gifts differing according to the grace that has been given us, such as prophecy to be used according to the proportion of faith; or ministry, in ministering; or he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhorting; he who gives, in simplicity; he who presides, with carefulness; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. Let love be without pretense. Hate what is evil, hold to what is good. Love one another with honor. Be not slothful in zeal; be fervent in spirit, serving the Lord, rejoicing in hope. Be patient in tribulation, persevering in prayer. Share the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep. Be of one mind towards one another. Do not set your mind on high things but condescend to the lowly.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem..

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioann II. 1-11

In illo témpore: Núptiæ factæ sunt in Cana Galilaeæ: et erat Mater Iesu ibi. Vocátus est autem et Iesus, et discípuli eius ad núptias. Et deficiénte vino, dicit Mater Iesu ad eum: Vinum non habent. Et dicit ei Iesus: Quid mihi et tibi est, mulier? nondum venit hora mea. Dicit Mater eius minístris: Quodcúmque díxerit vobis, fácite. Erant autem ibi lapídeæ hýdriæ sex pósitæ secúndum purificatiónem Iudæórum, capiéntes síngulæ metrétas binas vel ternas. Dicit eis Iesus: Implete hýdrias aqua. Et implevérunt eas usque ad summum. Et dicit eis Iesus: Hauríte nunc, et ferte architriclíno. Et tulérunt. Ut autem gustávit architriclínus aquam vinum fáctam, et non sciébat unde esset, minístri autem sciébant, qui háuserant aquam: vocat sponsum architriclínus, et dicit ei: Omnis homo primum bonum vinum ponit: et cum inebriáti fúerint, tunc id, quod detérius est. Tu autem servásti bonum vinum usque adhuc. Hoc fecit inítium signórum Iesus in Cana Galilaeæ: et manifestávit glóriam suam, et credidérunt in eum discípuli eius.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to John

John II. 1-11

At that time, a marriage took place at Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now Jesus too was invited to the marriage, and also His disciples. And the wine having run short, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no wine. And Jesus said to her, What would you have me do, woman? My hour has not yet come. His mother said to the attendants, Do whatever He tells you. Now six stone water-jars were placed there, after the Jewish manner of purification, each holding two or three measures. Jesus said to them, Fill the jars with water. And they filled them to the brim. And Jesus said to them, Draw out now, and take to the chief steward. And they took it to him. Now when the chief steward had tasted the water after it had become wine, not knowing whence it was - though the attendants who had drawn the water knew, - the chief steward called the bridegroom, and said to him, Every man at first sets forth the good wine, and when they have drunk freely, then that which is poorer. But you have kept the good wine until now. This first of His signs Jesus worked at Cana of Galilee; and He manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.

Our Lord at the wedding feast in Cana of Galilee graciously worked the miracle of changing water into wine prompted by Mary, His mother. This establishes Mary, the mother of God, as our Mediatrix.

Saint Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the Celebration of Daily Mass, in accordance with the latest Vatican edition of Missale Romanum, Edited by Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D, Introduction by Rev. Richard Kugelman C.P. S.T.L., S.S.L in according the New Code of Rubrics, New Edition 1963. p. 70.

Sacred Heart church, Limerick

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 65

Gospel

Jn 1:35-42

John was standing with two of his disciples,

and as he watched Jesus walk by, he said,

"Behold, the Lamb of God."

The two disciples heard what he said and followed Jesus.

Jesus turned and saw them following him and said to them,

"What are you looking for?"

They said to him, "Rabbi" — which translated means Teacher —,

"where are you staying?"

He said to them, "Come, and you will see."

So they went and saw where Jesus was staying,

and they stayed with him that day.

It was about four in the afternoon.

Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter,

was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus.

He first found his own brother Simon and told him,

"We have found the Messiah" — which is translated Christ —.

Then he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said,

"You are Simon the son of John;

you will be called Cephas" — which is translated Peter.

Source :

• Advertisement

Third Sunday after Epiphany

Commemoration of S. Agnes, virgin and martyr

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom xii. 16-21

F ratres: Nolíte esse prudéntes apud vosmetípsos: nulli malum pro malo reddéntes: providéntes bona non tantum coram Deo, sed étiam coram ómnibus homínibus. Si fíeri potest, quod ex vobis est, cum ómnibus homínibus pacem habéntes: Non vosmetípsos defendéntes, caríssimi, sed date locum iræ. Scriptum est enim: Mihi vindícta: ego retríbuam, dicit Dóminus. Sed si esuríerit inimícus tuus, ciba illum: si sitit, potum da illi: hoc enim fáciens, carbónes ignis cóngeres super caput eius. Noli vinci a malo, sed vince in bono malum.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Rom xii. 16-21

Brethren: Be not wise in your own conceits. To no man render evil for evil, but provide good things not only in the sight of God, but also in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as in you, be at peace with all men. Revenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath, for it is written, Vengeance is Mine: I will repay, saith the Lord. But, If thy enemy be hungry, give him to eat; if he thirst, give to drink; for by so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head. Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil by good.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt viii. 1-13

In illo témpore: Cum descendísset Iesus de monte, secútæ sunt eum turbæ multæ: et ecce, leprósus véniens adorábat eum, dicens: Dómine, si vis, potes me mundáre. Et exténdens Iesus manum, tétigit eum, dicens: Volo. Mundáre. Et conféstim mundáta est lepra eius. Et ait illi Iesus: Vide, némini díxeris: sed vade, osténde te sacerdóti, et offer munus, quod præcépit Móyses, in testimónium illis. Cum autem introísset Caphárnaum, accéssit ad eum centúrio, rogans eum et dicens: Dómine, puer meus iacet in domo paralýticus, et male torquetur. Et ait illi Iesus: Ego véniam, et curábo eum. Et respóndens centúrio, ait: Dómine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo, et sanábitur puer meus. Nam et ego homo sum sub potestáte constitútus, habens sub me mílites, et dico huic: Vade, et vadit; et alii: Veni, et venit; et servo meo: Fac hoc, et facit. Audiens autem Iesus, mirátus est, et sequéntibus se dixit: Amen, dico vobis, non inveni tantam fidem in Israël. Dico autem vobis, quod multi ab Oriénte et Occidénte vénient, et recúmbent cum Abraham et Isaac et Iacob in regno coelórum: fílii autem regni eiiciéntur in ténebras exterióres: ibi erit fletus et stridor déntium. Et dixit Iesus centurióni: Vade et, sicut credidísti, fiat tibi. Et sanátus est puer in illa hora.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt viii. 1-13

W t that time, when Jesus had come down from the mountain, great crowds followed Him. And behold, a leper came up and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, if You will, You can make me clean. And stretching forth His hand Jesus touched him, saying, I will; be made clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. And Jesus said to him, See that you tell no one; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a witness to them. Now when He had entered Capharnaum, there came to Him a centurion who entreated Him, saying, Lord, my servant is lying sick in the house, paralyzed, and is grievously afflicted. Jesus said to him, I will come and cure him. But in answer the centurion said, Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man subject to authority, and have soldiers subject to me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it. And when Jesus heard this, He marveled, and said to those who were following Him, Amen I say to you, I have not found such great faith in Israel. And I tell you that many will come from the east and from the west and will feast with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, but the children of the kingdom will be put forth into the darkness outside; there will be the weeping, and the gnashing of teeth. Then Jesus said to the centurion, Go your way; as you have believed, so be it done to you. And the servant was healed in that hour.

The centurion asked only one word of Jesus so that his servant could be cured. Jesus’ word will likewise heal our souls if we approach Him with faith and humility.

Saint Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the Celebration of Daily Mass, Completely Revised Edition Including New Mass Rubrics and the Holy Week Liturgy, Edited by Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D, Introduction by Rev. Richard Kugelman C.P. S.T.L., S.S.L in according the New Code of Rubrics, New Edition 1963. p. 101.

St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, Society of Saint Pius X, Dillwyn, VA, USA.

Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 68

Gospel 

Mk 1:14-20

After John had been arrested,

Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God:

"This is the time of fulfillment.

The kingdom of God is at hand.

Repent, and believe in the gospel."

As he passed by the Sea of Galilee,

he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea;

they were fishermen.

Jesus said to them,

"Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Then they abandoned their nets and followed him.

He walked along a little farther

and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John.

They too were in a boat mending their nets.

Then he called them.

So they left their father Zebedee in the boat

along with the hired men and followed him.

Source :

Septuagesima Sunday

Commemoration of St Peter Nolasco, Confessor

Semi-Double

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corínthios

1 Cor ix. 24-27; x. 1-5

Fratres: Nescítis, quod ii, qui in stádio currunt, omnes quidem currunt, sed unus áccipit bravíum? Sic cúrrite, ut comprehendátis. Omnis autem, qui in agóne conténdit, ab ómnibus se ábstinet: et illi quidem, ut corruptíbilem corónam accípiant; nos autem incorrúptam. Ego ígitur sic curro, non quasi in incértum: sic pugno, non quasi áërem vérberans: sed castígo corpus meum, et in servitútem rédigo: ne forte, cum áliis prædicáverim, ipse réprobus effíciar. Nolo enim vos ignoráre, fratres, quóniam patres nostri omnes sub nube fuérunt, et omnes mare transiérunt, et omnes in Móyse baptizáti sunt in nube et in mari: et omnes eándem escam spiritálem manducavérunt, et omnes eúndem potum spiritálem bibérunt bibébant autem de spiritáli, consequénte eos, petra: petra autem erat Christus: sed non in plúribus eórum beneplácitum est Deo.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor ix. 24-27; x. 1-5

Brethren: Do you not know that those who run in a race, all indeed run, but one receives the prize? So run as to obtain it. And everyone in a contest abstains from all things - and they indeed to receive a perishable crown, but we an imperishable. I, therefore, so run as not without a purpose; I so fight as not beating the air; but I chastise my body and bring it into subjection, lest perhaps after preaching to others I myself should be rejected. For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, all were baptized in Moses, in the cloud and in the sea. And all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink for they drank from the spiritual rock which followed them, and the rock was Christ. Yet with most of them God was not well pleased

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xx. 1-16

In illo témpore: Dixit Jesus discípulis suis parábolam hanc: Simile est regnum coelórum hómini patrifamílias, qui éxiit primo mane condúcere operários in víneam suam. Conventióne autem facta cum operáriis ex denário diúrno, misit eos in víneam suam. Et egréssus circa horam tértiam, vidit álios stantes in foro otiósos, et dixit illis: Ite et vos in víneam meam, et quod justum fúerit, dabo vobis. Illi autem abiérunt. Iterum autem éxiit circa sextam et nonam horam: et fecit simíliter. Circa undécimam vero éxiit, et invénit álios stantes, et dicit illis: Quid hic statis tota die otiósi? Dicunt ei: Quia nemo nos condúxit. Dicit illis: Ite et vos in víneam meam. Cum sero autem factum esset, dicit dóminus víneæ procuratóri suo: Voca operários, et redde illis mercédem, incípiens a novíssimis usque ad primos. Cum veníssent ergo qui circa undécimam horam vénerant, accepérunt síngulos denários. Veniéntes autem et primi, arbitráti sunt, quod plus essent acceptúri: accepérunt autem et ipsi síngulos denários. Et accipiéntes murmurábant advérsus patremfamílias, dicéntes: Hi novíssimi una hora fecérunt et pares illos nobis fecísti, qui portávimus pondus diéi et æstus. At ille respóndens uni eórum, dixit: Amíce, non facio tibi injúriam: nonne ex denário convenísti mecum? Tolle quod tuum est, et vade: volo autem et huic novíssimo dare sicut et tibi. Aut non licet mihi, quod volo, fácere? an óculus tuus nequam est, quia ego bonus sum? Sic erunt novíssimi primi, et primi novíssimi. Multi enim sunt vocáti, pauci vero elécti.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt xx. 1-16

At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: The kingdom of heaven is like a householder who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. And having agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. And about the third hour, he went out and saw others standing in the market place idle; and he said to them, ‘Go you also into the vineyard, and I will give you whatever is just.’ So they went. And again he went out about the sixth, and about the ninth hour, and did as before. But about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing about and he said to them, ‘Why do you stand here all day idle?’ They said to him, ‘Because no man has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘Go you also into the vineyard.’ But when evening had come, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the laborers, and pay them their wages, beginning from the last even to the first.’ Now when they of the eleventh hour came, they received each a denarius. And when the first in their term came, they thought that they would receive more; but they also received each his denarius. And on receiving it, they began to murmur against the householder, saying, ‘These last have worked a single hour, and you have put them on a level with us, who have borne the burden of the day’s heat.’ But answering one of them, he said, ‘Friend, I do you no injustice; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go; I choose to give to this last even as to you. Have I not a right to do what I choose? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ Even so the last shall be first, and the first last; for many are called, but few are chosen.

In order to prepare us for the solemnity of the Redemption, the Church invites us now to ponder now on the fact and malice of sin, on the need for moral effort and mortification, and above all on our need for the mercy of God, which is so beautifully revealed to us by Christ in the parable of the vineyard.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 203.

Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 71

Gospel

Mk 1:21-28

Then they came to Capernaum,

and on the sabbath Jesus entered the synagogue and taught.

The people were astonished at his teaching,

for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes.

In their synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit;

he cried out, "What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?

Have you come to destroy us?

I know who you are—the Holy One of God!"

Jesus rebuked him and said,

"Quiet! Come out of him!"

The unclean spirit convulsed him and with a loud cry came out of him.

All were amazed and asked one another,

"What is this?

A new teaching with authority.

He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him."

His fame spread everywhere throughout the whole region of Galilee.

Source :

Sexagesima Sunday

STATION AT ST. PAUL-WITHOUT-THE-WALLS

Semi-double Privilege of the Second Class

Violet Vestments

Lectio

1 Cor xi. 19-33; xii. 1-9

Fratres: Libénter suffértis insipiéntens: cum sitis ipsi sapiéntes. Sustinétis enim, si quis vos in servitútem rédigit, si quis dévorat, si quis áccipit, si quis extóllitur, si quis in fáciem vos cædit. Secúndum ignobilitátem dico, quasi nos infírmi fuérimus in hac parte. In quo quis audet, - in insipiéntia dico - áudeo et ego: Hebraei sunt, et ego: Israelítæ sunt, et ego: Semen Abrahæ sunt, et ego: Minístri Christi sunt, - ut minus sápiens dico - plus ego: in labóribus plúrimis, in carcéribus abundántius, in plagis supra modum, in mórtibus frequénter. A Judaeis quínquies quadragénas, una minus, accépi. Ter virgis cæsus sum, semel lapidátus sum, ter naufrágium feci, nocte et die in profúndo maris fui: in itinéribus sæpe, perículis flúminum, perículis latrónum, perículis ex génere, perículis ex géntibus, perículis in civitáte, perículis in solitúdine, perículis in mari, perículis in falsis frátribus: in labóre et ærúmna, in vigíliis multis, in fame et siti, in jejúniis multis, in frigóre et nuditáte: præter illa, quæ extrínsecus sunt, instántia mea cotidiána, sollicitúdo ómnium Ecclesiárum. Quis infirmátur, et ego non infírmor? quis scandalizátur, et ego non uror? Si gloriári opórtet: quæ infirmitátis meæ sunt, gloriábor. Deus et Pater Dómini nostri Jesu Christi, qui est benedíctus in saecula, scit quod non méntior. Damásci præpósitus gentis Arétæ regis, custodiébat civitátem Damascenórum, ut me comprehénderet: et per fenéstram in sporta dimíssus sum per murum, et sic effúgi manus ejus. Si gloriári opórtet - non éxpedit quidem, - véniam autem ad visiónes et revelatiónes Dómini. Scio hóminem in Christo ante annos quatuórdecim, - sive in córpore néscio, sive extra corpus néscio, Deus scit - raptum hujúsmodi usque ad tértium coelum. Et scio hujúsmodi hóminem, - sive in córpore, sive extra corpus néscio, Deus scit:- quóniam raptus est in paradisum: et audivit arcána verba, quæ non licet homini loqui. Pro hujúsmodi gloriábor: pro me autem nihil gloriábor nisi in infirmitátibus meis. Nam, et si volúero gloriári, non ero insípiens: veritátem enim dicam: parco autem, ne quis me exístimet supra id, quod videt in me, aut áliquid audit ex me. Et ne magnitúdo revelatiónem extóllat me, datus est mihi stímulus carnis meæ ángelus sátanæ, qui me colaphízet. Propter quod ter Dóminum rogávi, ut discéderet a me: et dixit mihi: Súfficit tibi grátia mea: nam virtus in infirmitáte perfícitur. Libénter ígitur gloriábor in infirmitátibus meis, ut inhábitet in me virtus Christi.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Cor xi. 19-33; xii. 1-9

Brethren: You gladly put up with fools, because you are wise yourselves! For you suffer it if a man enslaves you, if a man devours you, if a man takes from you, if a man is arrogant, if a man slaps your face! I speak to my own shame, as though we had been weak. But wherein any man is bold - I am speaking foolishly - I also am bold. Are they Hebrews? So am I! Are they Israelites? So am I! Are they offspring of Abraham? So am I! Are they ministers of Christ? I - to speak as a fool - am more: in many more labors, in prisons more frequently, in lashes above measure, often exposed to death. From the Jews five times I received forty lashes less one. Thrice I was scourged, once I was stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I was adrift on the sea; in journeyings often, in perils from floods, in perils from robbers, in perils from my own nation, in perils from the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils from false brethren; in labor and hardships, in many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Besides those outer things, there is my daily pressing anxiety, the care of all the churches! Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I am not inflamed? If I must boast, I will boast of the things that concern my weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, Who is blessed forevermore, knows that I do not lie. In Damascus the governor under King Aretas was guarding the city of the Damascenes in order to arrest me, but I was lowered in a basket through a window in the wall, and escaped his hands. If I must boast - it is not indeed expedient to do so - but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago - whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows - such a one was caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man - whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows that he was caught up into paradise and heard secret words that man may not repeat. Of such a man I will boast; but of myself I will glory in nothing save in my infirmities. For if I do wish to boast, I shall not be foolish; for I shall be speaking the truth. But I forbear, lest any man should reckon me beyond what he sees in me or hears from me. And lest the greatness of the revelations should puff me up, there was given me a thorn for the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to buffet me. Concerning this I thrice besought the Lord that it might leave me. And He has said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for strength is made perfect in weakness. Gladly therefore I will glory in my infirmities, that the strength of Christ may dwell in me.

R.Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc viii. 4-15

In illo témpore: Cum turba plúrima convenírent, et de civitátibus properárent ad Jesum, dixit per similitúdinem: Exiit, qui séminat, semináre semen suum: et dum séminat, áliud cécidit secus viam, et conculcátum est, et vólucres coeli comedérunt illud. Et áliud cécidit supra petram: et natum áruit, quia non habébat humórem. Et áliud cécidit inter spinas, et simul exórtæ spinæ suffocavérunt illud. Et áliud cécidit in terram bonam: et ortum fecit fructum céntuplum. Hæc dicens, clamábat: Qui habet aures audiéndi, audiat. Interrogábant autem eum discípuli ejus, quæ esset hæc parábola. Quibus ipse dixit: Vobis datum est nosse mystérium regni Dei, céteris autem in parábolis: ut vidéntes non videant, et audientes non intéllegant. Est autem hæc parábola: Semen est verbum Dei. Qui autem secus viam, hi sunt qui áudiunt: déinde venit diábolus, et tollit verbum de corde eórum, ne credéntes salvi fiant. Nam qui supra petram: qui cum audierint, cum gáudio suscipiunt verbum: et hi radíces non habent: qui ad tempus credunt, et in témpore tentatiónis recédunt. Quod autem in spinas cécidit: hi sunt, qui audiérunt, et a sollicitudínibus et divítiis et voluptátibus vitæ eúntes, suffocántur, et non réferunt fructum. Quod autem in bonam terram: hi sunt, qui in corde bono et óptimo audiéntes verbum rétinent, et fructum áfferunt in patiéntia.

R.Laus tibi, Christe!

S.Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation ☩of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

R.Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Luke viii. 4-15

At that time, when a very great crowd was gathering together and men from every town were resorting to Jesus. He said in a parable: The sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside and was trodden under foot, and the birds of the air ate it up. And other seed fell upon the rock, and as soon as it had sprung up it withered away, because it had no moisture. And other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. And other seed fell upon good ground, and sprang up and yielded fruit a hundredfold. As He said these things He cried out, He who has ears to hear, let him hear! But His disciples then began to ask Him what this parable meant, He said to them, To you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables, that ‘Seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.’ Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God. And those by the wayside are they who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved. Now those upon the rock are they who, when they have heard, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, but believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away. And that which fell among the thorns, these are they who have heard, and as they go their way are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not ripen. But that upon good ground, these are they who, with a right and good heart, having heard the word, hold it fast, and bear fruit in patience.

Distrusting our own powers, we should have always perfect confidence in God’s grace which will be ‘sufficient’ for us, if we humbly ask for it. May then the seed of God’s Word, contained in the Scriptures, or sown by the Teaching Church, find a ‘right and good heart’ in us to receive it, that we may bear much fruit in patience.

Saint Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the Celebration of Daily Mass, Completely Revised Edition Including New Mass Rubrics and the Holy Week Liturgy, Edited by Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D, Introduction by Rev. Richard Kugelman C.P. S.T.L., S.S.L in according the New Code of Rubrics, New Edition 1963. p. 116.

The Gospel of today teaches us that God distributes His saving work freely, but not all receive it as they should. The Epistle gives us the glorious example of one who heard the word with a good and perfect heart, and brought forth fruit in patience. St Paul is also mentioned in the Collect.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 208.

Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 74

Gospel

Mk 1:29-39

On leaving the synagogue

Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John.

Simon's mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.

They immediately told him about her.

He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.

Then the fever left her and she waited on them.

When it was evening, after sunset,

they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.

The whole town was gathered at the door.

He cured many who were sick with various diseases,

and he drove out many demons,

not permitting them to speak because they knew him.

Rising very early before dawn, he left

and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.

Simon and those who were with him pursued him

and on finding him said, "Everyone is looking for you."

He told them, "Let us go on to the nearby villages

that I may preach there also.

For this purpose have I come."

So he went into their synagogues,

preaching and driving out demons throughout the whole of Galilee.

Source :

Quinquagesima Sunday

STATION AT ST. St Peters’

Violet Vestments

Lectio

1 Cor xiii. 1-10.

Fratres: Si linguis hóminum loquar et Angelórum, caritátem autem non hábeam, factus sum velut æs sonans aut cýmbalum tínniens. Et si habúero prophetíam, et nóverim mystéria ómnia et omnem sciéntiam: et si habúero omnem fidem, ita ut montes tránsferam, caritátem autem non habúero, nihil sum. Et si distribúero in cibos páuperum omnes facultátes meas, et si tradídero corpus meum, ita ut árdeam, caritátem autem non habuero, nihil mihi prodest. Cáritas patiens est, benígna est: cáritas non æmulátur, non agit pérperam, non inflátur, non est ambitiósa, non quærit quæ sua sunt, non irritátur, non cógitat malum, non gaudet super iniquitáte, congáudet autem veritáti: ómnia suffert, ómnia credit, ómnia sperat, ómnia sústinet. Cáritas numquam éxcidit: sive prophétiæ evacuabúntur, sive linguæ cessábunt, sive sciéntia destruétur. Ex parte enim cognóscimus, et ex parte prophetámus. Cum autem vénerit quod perféctum est, evacuábitur quod ex parte est. Cum essem párvulus, loquébar ut párvulus, sapiébam ut párvulus, cogitábam ut párvulus. Quando autem factus sum vir, evacuávi quæ erant párvuli. Vidémus nunc per spéculum in ænígmate: tunc autem fácie ad fáciem. Nunc cognósco ex parte: tunc autem cognóscam, sicut et cógnitus sum. Nunc autem manent fides, spes, cáritas, tria hæc: major autem horum est cáritas.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Cor xiii. 1-10.

Brethren: If I should speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have charity, I have become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have charity, I am nothing. And if I distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I deliver my body to be burned, yet do not have charity, it profits me nothing. Charity is patient, is kind; charity does not envy, is not pretentious, is not puffed up, is not ambitious, is not self-seeking, is not provoked; thinks no evil, does not rejoice over wickedness, but rejoices with the truth; bears with all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Charity never fails, whereas prophecies will disappear, and tongues will cease, and knowledge will be destroyed. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when that which is perfect has come, that which is imperfect will be done away with. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away the things of a child. We see now through a mirror in an obscure manner, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know even as I have been known. So there abide faith, hope and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc. xviii. 31-43

In illo témpore: Assúmpsit Jesus duódecim, et ait illis: Ecce, ascéndimus Jerosólymam, et consummabúntur ómnia, quæ scripta sunt per Prophétas de Fílio hominis. Tradétur enim Géntibus, et illudétur, et flagellábitur, et conspuétur: et postquam flagelláverint, occídent eum, et tértia die resúrget. Et ipsi nihil horum intellexérunt, et erat verbum istud abscónditum ab eis, et non intellegébant quæ dicebántur. Factum est autem, cum appropinquáret Jéricho, cæcus quidam sedébat secus viam, mendícans. Et cum audíret turbam prætereúntem, interrogábat, quid hoc esset. Dixérunt autem ei, quod Jesus Nazarénus transíret. Et clamávit, dicens: Jesu, fili David, miserére mei. Et qui præíbant, increpábant eum, ut tacéret. Ipse vero multo magis clamábat: Fili David, miserére mei. Stans autem Jesus, jussit illum addúci ad se. Et cum appropinquásset, interrogávit illum, dicens: Quid tibi vis fáciam? At ille dixit: Dómine, ut vídeam. Et Jesus dixit illi: Réspice, fides tua te salvum fecit. Et conféstim vidit, et sequebátur illum, magníficans Deum. Et omnis plebs ut vidit, dedit laudem Deo.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke xviii. 31-43

At that time, Jesus taking to Himself the Twelve said to them, Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things that have been written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished. For He will be delivered to the Gentiles, and will be mocked and scourged and spit upon; and after they have scourged Him, they will put Him to death; and on the third day He will rise again. And they understood none of these things and this saying was hidden from them, neither did they get to know the things that were being said. Now it came to pass as He drew near to Jericho, that a certain blind man was sitting by the wayside, begging; but hearing a crowd passing by, he inquired what this might be. And they told him that Jesus of Nazareth was passing by. And he cried out, saying, Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me! And they who went in front angrily tried to silence him. But he cried out all the louder, Son of David, have mercy on me! Then Jesus stopped and commanded that he should be brought to Him. And when he drew near, He asked him, saying, What would you have Me do for you? And he said, Lord, that I may see. And Jesus said to him, Receive your sight, your faith has saved you. And at once he received his sight, and followed Him, glorifying God. And all the people upon seeing it gave praise to God.

It is Jesus who, by the merits of His Passion, is to open the eyes of man as He did those of the blind man of Jericho, and deliver him alike from the bondage of sin and error.

The Daily Missal and Liturgical Manual, with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, from the Editio Typica of The Roman Missal and Breviary, 1962, Baronius Press 2015, p. 284.

The Epistile to-day contains St Paul’s wonderful description of charity: the Gospel reveals the greatest motive for love of God – the love God bore us as manifested in and by Christ. He prophesies His death in Jerusalem and He cures the blind man: the cure rouses the admiration of the people, the prophecy not even the Twelve could understand.

To expiate for the excesses committed during the three days of Carnival before Lent, the devotion of the Forty Hours was established and originally celebrated on this day.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 213.

Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 77

Gospel

Mk 1:40-45

A leper came to Jesus and kneeling down begged him and said,

“If you wish, you can make me clean.”

Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand, 

touched him, and said to him, 

“I do will it. Be made clean.”

The leprosy left him immediately, and he was made clean.

Then, warning him sternly, he dismissed him at once. 

He said to him, “See that you tell no one anything,

but go, show yourself to the priest 

and offer for your cleansing what Moses prescribed;

that will be proof for them.”

The man went away and began to publicize the whole matter.

He spread the report abroad

so that it was impossible for Jesus to enter a town openly.

He remained outside in deserted places,

and people kept coming to him from everywhere.

Source :

First Sunday of Lent

STATION AT ST. JOHN LATERAN

(Indulgence of 10 years and 10 quarantines)

Violet Vestments

Lectio

2 Cor vi. 1-10.

Fratres: Exhortámur vos, ne in vácuum grátiam Dei recipiátis. Ait enim: Témpore accépto exaudívi te, et in die salútis adjúvi te. Ecce, nunc tempus acceptábile, ecce, nunc dies salútis. Némini dantes ullam offensiónem, ut non vituperétur ministérium nostrum: sed in ómnibus exhibeámus nosmetípsos sicut Dei minístros, in multa patiéntia, in tribulatiónibus, in necessitátibus, in angústiis, in plagis, in carcéribus, in seditiónibus, in labóribus, in vigíliis, in jejúniis, in castitáte, in sciéntia, in longanimitáte, in suavitáte, in Spíritu Sancto, in caritáte non ficta, in verbo veritátis, in virtúte Dei, per arma justítiæ a dextris et a sinístris: per glóriam et ignobilitátem: per infámiam et bonam famam: ut seductóres et veráces: sicut qui ignóti et cógniti: quasi moriéntes et ecce, vívimus: ut castigáti et non mortificáti: quasi tristes, semper autem gaudéntes: sicut egéntes, multos autem locupletántes: tamquam nihil habéntes et ómnia possidéntes

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

2 Cor vi. 1-10.

Brethren: We entreat you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For He says, In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you. Behold, now is the acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation! We give no offence to anyone, that our ministry may not be blamed. On the contrary, let us conduct ourselves in all circumstances as God’s ministers, in much patience; in tribulations, in hardships, in distresses; in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults; in labours, in sleepless nights, in fastings; in innocence, in knowledge, in long-sufferings; in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in unaffected love; in the word of truth, in the power of God; with the armor of justice on the right hand and on the left; in honour and dishonour, in evil report and good report; as deceivers and yet truthful, as unknown and yet well known, as dying, and behold, we live, as chastised but not killed, as sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor yet enriching many, as having nothing yet possessing all things.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt iv. 1-11

In illo témpore: Ductus est Jesus in desértum a Spíritu, ut tentarétur a diábolo. Et cum jejunásset quadragínta diébus et quadragínta nóctibus, postea esúriit. Et accédens tentátor, dixit ei: Si Fílius Dei es, dic, ut lápides isti panes fiant. Qui respóndens, dixit: Scriptum est: Non in solo pane vivit homo, sed in omni verbo, quod procédit de ore Dei. Tunc assúmpsit eum diábolus in sanctam civitátem, et státuit eum super pinnáculum templi, et dixit ei: Si Fílius Dei es, mitte te deórsum. Scriptum est enim: Quia Angelis suis mandávit de te, et in mánibus tollent te, ne forte offéndas ad lápidem pedem tuum. Ait illi Jesus: Rursum scriptum est: Non tentábis Dóminum, Deum tuum. Iterum assúmpsit eum diábolus in montem excélsum valde: et ostendit ei ómnia regna mundi et glóriam eórum, et dixit ei: Hæc ómnia tibi dabo, si cadens adoráveris me. Tunc dicit ei Jesus: Vade, Sátana; scriptum est enim: Dóminum, Deum tuum, adorábis, et illi soli sérvies. Tunc relíquit eum diábolus: et ecce, Angeli accessérunt et ministrábant ei.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt iv. 1-11

At that time, Jesus was led into the desert by the Spirit, to be tempted by the devil. And after fasting forty days and forty nights, He was hungry. And the tempter came and said to Him, If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread. But He answered and said, It is written, ‘Not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.’ Then the devil took Him into the holy city and set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written, ‘He has given His angels charge concerning You; and upon their hands they shall bear You up, lest You dash Your foot against a stone.’ Jesus said to him, It is written further, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’ Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them. And he said to Him, All these things will I give You, if You will fall down and worship me. Then Jesus said to him, Begone, Satan, for it is written, ‘The Lord your God shall you worship and Him only shall you serve.’ Then the devil left Him; and behold, angels came and ministered to Him.

Our Lord Jesus Christ, directly after His baptism, prepared Himself for His public life and mission by a fast of forty days in the desert, which extends from Jericho to the mountains of Judea. Let us prepare ourselves by fast, prayers and works of charity for the solemn Feast of Easter.

The Daily Missal and Liturgical Manual, with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, from the Editio Typica of The Roman Missal and Breviary, 1962, Baronius Press 2015, p. 309.

In the most solemn feasts of the year at Rome the Station was held at St John Lateran – the cathedral church of the Bishop of Rome. There the solemn opening of Lent is celebrated to-day. The Lesson explains that Lent is a time of grace and inward reformation. The Gospel shows that temptation is not itself a sin, but a trial to be resisted and overcome. All the chants of the Mass are taken from Psalm 90, which proclaims God's care and protection of those who call on Him. The Christian life is a warfare against the powers of evil, as the catechumen is reminded by the exorcism which precede baptism.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 239.

First Sunday of Lent

Lectionary: 23

Gospel

Mk 1:12-15

The Spirit drove Jesus out into the desert,

and he remained in the desert for forty days,

tempted by Satan.

He was among wild beasts,

and the angels ministered to him.

After John had been arrested,

Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God:

"This is the time of fulfillment.

The kingdom of God is at hand.

Repent, and believe in the gospel."

Source :

• Advertisement

Second Sunday of Lent

STATION AT ST. MARY’S IN DOMINICA

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Thessalonicénses

2 Thess iv. 1-7.

Fratres: Rogámus vos et obsecrámus in Dómino Iesu: ut, quemádmodum accepístis a nobis, quómodo opórteat vos ambuláre et placére Deo, sic et ambulétis, ut abundétis magis. Scitis enim, quæ præcépta déderim vobis Per Dominum Iesum. Hæc est enim volúntas Dei, sanctificátio vestra: ut abstineátis vos a fornicatióne, ut sciat unusquísque vestrum vas suum possidére in sanctificatióne et honóre; non in passióne desidérii, sicut et gentes, quæ ignórant Deum: et ne quis supergrediátur neque circumvéniat in negótio fratrem suum: quóniam vindex est Dóminus de his ómnibus, sicut prædíximus vobis et testificáti sumus. Non enim vocávit nos Deus in immundítiam, sed in sanctificatiónem: in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Thessalonians

2 Thess iv. 1-7.

Brethren: Even as you have learned from us how you ought to walk to please God - as indeed you are walking - we beseech and exhort you in the Lord Jesus to make even greater progress. For you know what precepts I have given to you by the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that you abstain from immorality; that every one of you learn how to possess his vessel in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and overreach his brother in the matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all these things, as we have told you before and have testified. For God has not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness, in Christ Jesus our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xvii. 1-9

In illo témpore: Assúmpsit Iesus Petrum, et Iacóbum, et Ioánnem fratrem eius, et duxit illos in montem excélsum seórsum: et transfigurátus est ante eos. Et resplénduit fácies eius sicut sol: vestiménta autem eius facta sunt alba sicut nix. Et ecce, apparuérunt illis Móyses et Elías cum eo loquéntes. Respóndens autem Petrus, dixit ad Iesum: Dómine, bonum est nos hic esse: si vis, faciámus hic tria tabernácula, tibi unum, Móysi unum et Elíæ unum. Adhuc eo loquénte, ecce, nubes lúcida obumbrávit eos. Et ecce vox de nube, dicens: Hic est Fílius meus diléctus, in quo mihi bene complácui: ipsum audíte. Et audiéntes discípuli, cecidérunt in fáciem suam, et timuérunt valde. Et accéssit Iesus, et tétigit eos, dixítque eis: Súrgite, et nolíte timére. Levántes autem óculos suos, néminem vidérunt nisi solum Iesum. Et descendéntibus illis de monte, præcépit eis Iesus, dicens: Némini dixéritis visiónem, donec Fílius hóminis a mórtuis resúrgat.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Matt xvii. 1-9

At that time, Jesus took Peter, James and his brother John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves, and was transfigured before them. And His face shone as the sun, and His garments became white as snow. And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elias talking together with Him. Then Peter addressed Jesus, saying, Lord, it is good for us to be here. If You will, let us set up three tents here, one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elias. As he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased; hear Him. And on hearing it the disciplines fell on their faces and were exceedingly afraid. And Jesus came near and touched them, and said to them, Arise, and do not be afraid. But lifting up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only. And as they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus cautioned them, saying, Tell the vision to no one, till the Son of Man has risen from the dead.

Originally the Mass of yesterday’s Vigil was celebrated at the end of the Vigil i.e. on Sunday morn. But when the Roman sacramentary was introduced into places which had neither stations nor Vigils, and when the liturgy of a Vigil was transferred to the morning, another Mass and Station were appointed for this Sunday, as in the case of the Fourth Sunday of Advent. Yesterday’s Gospel is repeated, and the Epistle continues the teaching of St. Paul on sanctification. The Station is at one of the oldest churches of our Lady in Rome – under whose patronage newly ordained priests begin their ministry.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 271.

Second Sunday of Lent

Lectionary: 26

Gospel

Mk 9:2-10

Jesus took Peter, James, and John

and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves.

And he was transfigured before them,

and his clothes became dazzling white,

such as no fuller on earth could bleach them.

Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses,

and they were conversing with Jesus.

Then Peter said to Jesus in reply,

"Rabbi, it is good that we are here!

Let us make three tents:

one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."

He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified.

Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them;

from the cloud came a voice,

"This is my beloved Son. Listen to him."

Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone

but Jesus alone with them.

As they were coming down from the mountain,

he charged them not to relate what they had seen to anyone,

except when the Son of Man had risen from the dead.

So they kept the matter to themselves,

questioning what rising from the dead meant.

Source :

Third Sunday of Lent

STATION AT ST. LAURENCE-WITHOUT-THE-WALLS

Semi-double Privilege of the First Class

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Eph v. 1-9.

Fratres: Estote imitatores Dei, sicut fílii caríssimi: et ambuláte in dilectióne, sicut et Christus dilexit nos, et tradidit semetipsum pro nobis oblatiónem, et hostiam Deo in odorem suavitátis. Fornicatio autem et omnis immunditia aut avaritia nec nominetur in vobis, sicut decet sanctos: aut turpitudo aut stultiloquium aut scurrilitas, quæ ad rem non pertinet: sed magis gratiárum actio. Hoc enim scitóte intelligentes, quod omnis fornicator aut immundus aut avarus, quod est idolorum servitus, non habet hereditátem in regno Christi et Dei. Nemo vos sedúcat inanibus verbis: propter hæc enim venit ira Dei in filios diffidéntiæ. Nolíte ergo effici participes eórum. Erátis enim aliquando tenebrae: nunc autem lux in Dómino. Ut fílii lucis ambuláte: fructus enim lucis est in omni bonitate et iustítia et veritáte.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Eph v. 1-9.

Brethren: Be imitators of God, as very dear children and walk in love, as Christ also loved us and delivered Himself up for us an offering and a sacrifice to God to ascend in fragrant odor. But immorality and every uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as becomes saints; or obscenity or foolish talk or scurrility, which are out of place; but rather thanksgiving. For know this and understand, that no fornicator, or unclean person, or covetous one - for that is idolatry - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one lead you astray with empty words; for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the children of disobedience. Do not, then, become partakers with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk, then, as children of light, for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and justice and truth.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xi. 14-28

In illo témpore: Erat Iesus eiíciens dæmónium, et illud erat mutum. Et cum eiecísset dæmónium, locútus est mutus, et admirátæ sunt turbæ. Quidam autem ex eis dixérunt: In Beélzebub, príncipe dæmoniórum, éiicit dæmónia. Et alii tentántes, signum de coelo quærébant ab eo. Ipse autem ut vidit cogitatiónes eórum, dixit eis: Omne regnum in seípsum divísum desolábitur, et domus supra domum cadet. Si autem et sátanas in seípsum divísus est, quómodo stabit regnum eius? quia dícitis, in Beélzebub me eiícere dæmónia. Si autem ego in Beélzebub eiício dæmónia: fílii vestri in quo eiíciunt? Ideo ipsi iúdices vestri erunt. Porro si in dígito Dei eiício dæmónia: profécto pervénit in vos regnum Dei. Cum fortis armátus custódit átrium suum, in pace sunt ea, quæ póssidet. Si autem fórtior eo supervéniens vícerit eum, univérsa arma eius áuferet, in quibus confidébat, et spólia eius distríbuet. Qui non est mecum, contra me est: et qui non cólligit mecum, dispérgit. Cum immúndus spíritus exíerit de hómine, ámbulat per loca inaquósa, quærens réquiem: et non invéniens, dicit: Revértar in domum meam, unde exivi. Et cum vénerit, invénit eam scopis mundátam, et ornátam. Tunc vadit, et assúmit septem alios spíritus secum nequióres se, et ingréssi hábitant ibi. Et fiunt novíssima hóminis illíus peióra prióribus. Factum est autem, cum hæc díceret: extóllens vocem quædam múlier de turba, dixit illi: Beátus venter, qui te portávit, et úbera, quæ suxísti. At ille dixit: Quinímmo beáti, qui áudiunt verbum Dei, et custódiunt illud.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luc xi. 14-28

At that time, Jesus was casting out a devil, and the same was dumb; and when He had cast out the devil, the dumb man spoke. And the crowds marveled. But some of them said, By Beelzebub, the prince of devils, He casts out devils. And others, to test Him, demanded from Him a sign from heaven. But He, seeing their thoughts, said to them: Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and house will fall upon house. If, then, Satan also is divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because you say that I cast out devils by Beelzebub. Now, if I cast out devils by Beelzebub, by whom do your children cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. When the strong man, fully armed, guards his courtyard, his property is undisturbed. But if a stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he will take away all his weapons that he relied upon, and will divide his spoils. He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he roams through waterless places in search of rest; and finding none, he says, ‘I will return to my house which I left.’ And when he has come to it, he finds the place swept. Then he goes and takes seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter in and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse that the first. Now it came to pass as He was saying these things, that a certain woman from the crowd lifted up her voice and said to Him, Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts that nursed You. But He said, Rather, blessed are they who hear the word of God and keep it.

We see Jesus today in open conflict with Satan and his works. So also during Lent, which is a time when the struggle against the old man is more intense, we should ‘live' as children of the light, performing actions, good, just and true.

The Univeral Daily Missal, Silvester P. Juergens, S.M., Doctor of Sacred Theology, Washbourne Quinlan Ltd, Dublin 1966, p. 221.

Sacred Heart church, Institute of Christ the King, Limerick:

SS Margaret and Leonard, SSPX Edinburgh:

Third Sunday of Lent

Lectionary: 28, 29

Gospel

Jn 2:13-25

Since the Passover of the Jews was near,

Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

He found in the temple area those who sold oxen, sheep, and doves, 

as well as the money changers seated there.

He made a whip out of cords

and drove them all out of the temple area, with the sheep and oxen, 

and spilled the coins of the money changers

and overturned their tables, 

and to those who sold doves he said,

“Take these out of here, 

and stop making my Father’s house a marketplace.”

His disciples recalled the words of Scripture, 

Zeal for your house will consume me.

At this the Jews answered and said to him,

“What sign can you show us for doing this?”

Jesus answered and said to them, 

“Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.”

The Jews said, 

“This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, 

and you will raise it up in three days?”

But he was speaking about the temple of his body.

Therefore, when he was raised from the dead, 

his disciples remembered that he had said this, 

and they came to believe the Scripture 

and the word Jesus had spoken.

While he was in Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, 

many began to believe in his name 

when they saw the signs he was doing.

But Jesus would not trust himself to them because he knew them all, 

and did not need anyone to testify about human nature.

He himself understood it well.

Source :

Fourth Sunday of Lent

Commemoration of the Forty Holy Martyrs

STATION AT THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS IN JERUSALEM

Semi-double Privilege of the First Class

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Gálatas

Gal iv. 22-31

Fratres: Scriptum est: Quóniam Abraham duos fílios habuit: unum de ancílla, et unum de líbera. Sed qui de ancílla, secúndum carnem natus est: qui autem de líbera, per repromissiónem: quæ sunt per allegóriam dicta. Hæc enim sunt duo testaménta. Unum quidem in monte Sina, in servitútem génerans: quæ est Agar: Sina enim mons est in Arábia, qui coniúnctus est ei, quæ nunc est Ierúsalem, et servit cum fíliis suis. Illa autem, quæ sursum est Ierúsalem, líbera est, quæ est mater nostra. Scriptum est enim: Lætáre, stérilis, quæ non paris: erúmpe, et clama, quæ non párturis: quia multi fílii desértæ, magis quam eius, quæ habet virum. Nos autem, fratres, secúndum Isaac promissiónis fílii sumus. Sed quómodo tunc is, qui secúndum carnem natus fúerat, persequebátur eum, qui secúndum spíritum: ita et nunc. Sed quid dicit Scriptura? Eiice ancillam et fílium eius: non enim heres erit fílius ancíllæ cum fílio líberæ. Itaque, fratres, non sumus ancíllæ fílii, sed líberæ: qua libertáte Christus nos liberávit.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Gal iv. 22-31.

Brethren: It is written that Abraham had two sons, the one by a slave-girl and the other by a free woman. And the son of the slave-girl was born according to the flesh, but the son of the free woman in virtue of the promise. This said by way of allegory. For these are the two covenants: one indeed from Mount Sinai bringing forth children unto bondage, which is Agar. For Sinai is a mountain in Arabia, which corresponds to the present Jerusalem, and is in slavery with her children. But that Jerusalem which is above is free, which is our mother. For it is written, Rejoice, O barren one, that do not bear; break forth and cry, you that do not travail; for many are the children of the desolate, more than of her that has a husband. Now we, brethren, are the children of the promise, as Isaac was. But as then he who was born according to the flesh, persecuted him who was born according to the spirit, so also it is now. But what does the Scripture say? Cast out the slave-girl and her son, for the son of the slave-girl shall not be heir with the son of the free woman.Therefore, brethren, we are not children of a slave-girl, but of the free woman - in virtue of the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioann vi. 1-15

In illo témpore: Abiit Iesus trans mare Galilaeæ, quod est Tiberíadis: et sequebátur eum multitúdo magna, quia vidébant signa, quæ faciébat super his, qui infirmabántur. Súbiit ergo in montem Iesus: et ibi sedébat cum discípulis suis. Erat autem próximum Pascha, dies festus Iudæórum. Cum sublevásset ergo óculos Iesus et vidísset, quia multitúdo máxima venit ad eum, dixit ad Philíppum: Unde emémus panes, ut mandúcent hi? Hoc autem dicebat tentans eum: ipse enim sciébat, quid esset factúrus. Respóndit ei Philíppus: Ducentórum denariórum panes non suffíciunt eis, ut unusquísque módicum quid accípiat. Dicit ei unus ex discípulis eius, Andréas, frater Simónis Petri: Est puer unus hic, qui habet quinque panes hordeáceos et duos pisces: sed hæc quid sunt inter tantos? Dixit ergo Iesus: Fácite hómines discúmbere. Erat autem fænum multum in loco. Discubuérunt ergo viri, número quasi quinque mília. Accépit ergo Iesus panes, et cum grátias egísset, distríbuit discumbéntibus: simíliter et ex píscibus, quantum volébant. Ut autem impléti sunt, dixit discípulis suis: Collígite quæ superavérunt fragménta, ne péreant. Collegérunt ergo, et implevérunt duódecim cóphinos fragmentórum ex quinque pánibus hordeáceis, quæ superfuérunt his, qui manducáverant. Illi ergo hómines cum vidíssent, quod Iesus fécerat signum, dicébant: Quia hic est vere Prophéta, qui ventúrus est in mundum. Iesus ergo cum cognovísset, quia ventúri essent, ut ráperent eum et fácerent eum regem, fugit íterum in montem ipse solus.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation☩ of the Holy Gospel according to John

John vi. 1-15

At that time, Jesus went away to the other side of the sea of Galilee, which is that of Tiberias. And there followed Him a great crowd, because they witnessed the signs He worked on those who were sick. Jesus therefore went up the mountain, and sat there with His disciples. Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was near. When, therefore, Jesus had lifted up His eyes and seen that a very great crowd had come to Him, He said to Philip, Whence shall we buy bread that these may eat? But He said this to try him, for He Himself knew what He would do. Philip answered Him, Two hundred denarii worth of bread is not enough for them, that each one may receive a little. One of His disciples, Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, said to Him, There is a young boy here who has five barley loaves and two fishes; but what are these among so many? Jesus then said, Make the people recline. Now there was much grass in the place. The men therefore reclined, in number about five thousand. Jesus then took the loaves, and when He had given thanks, distributed them to those reclining; and likewise the fishes, as much as they wished. But when they were filled, He said to His disciples, Gather the fragments that are left over, lest they be wasted. They therefore gathered them up; and they filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten. When the people, therefore, had seen the sign which Jesus had worked, they said, This is indeed the Prophet Who is to come into the world. So when Jesus perceived that they would come to take Him by force and make Him king He fled again to the mountain, Himself alone.

The church today celebrates two feasts, one in honour of Mid-Lent, and therefore grants a respite of joy to encourage the faithful children to persevere. To-day, as in the third Sunday of Advent, rose coloured vestments are allowed, the organ is played and the altar is decorated with flowers. The other feast is in honour of the Cross, the symbol of Redemption. The Empress Helena had brought back to Rome a large portion of the True Cross and placed it in the sanctuary, which is said to be a replica of the great Martyrion in Jerusalem. The liturgy of the Mass refers frequently to the Holy City, which was for all Christian people the symbol of their eternal city and home. The Gospel prepares us for the celebration of the Eucharist.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 338.

'Laetare, rejoice,' says the Introit. Laetare Sunday offers a rest in the midst of Lenten observance. We are soon to rise again wit Jesus through confession and Easter Communion.

The Universal Daily Missal, Silvester P. Juergens, S.M., Doctor of Sacred Theology, Washbourne Quinlan Ltd, Dublin 1966, p. 249.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 rs232

Today’s (Laetare Sunday) novus ordo propers are particularly relevant. We should pay heed and pray for the Church.

Fourth Sunday of Lent

Gospel

Jn 3:14-21

Jesus said to Nicodemus:

“Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, 

so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 

so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, 

so that everyone who believes in him might not perish 

but might have eternal life.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, 

but that the world might be saved through him.

Whoever believes in him will not be condemned, 

but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, 

because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

And this is the verdict,

that the light came into the world, 

but people preferred darkness to light,

because their works were evil.

For everyone who does wicked things hates the light

and does not come toward the light, 

so that his works might not be exposed.

But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, 

so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.

Source :

St Patrick Apostle of Ireland

Commemoration of the Passion of our Lord

Double of the First Class

Violet Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Libri Sapientiae Eccles

Eccl xliv. 16-27; xiv. 3-20

Ecce sacérdos magnus, qui in diébus suis plácuit Deo, et invéntus est iustus: et in témpore iracúndiæ factus est reconciliátio. Non est inventus símilis illi, qui conservávit legem Excélsi. Ideo iureiurándo fecit illum Dóminus créscere in plebem suam. Benedictiónem ómnium géntium dedit illi, et testaméntum suum confirmávit super caput eius. Agnóvit eum in benedictiónibus suis: conservávit illi misericórdiam suam: et invénit grátiam coram óculis Dómini. Magnificávit eum in conspéctu regum: et dedit illi corónam glóriæ. Státuit illi testaméntum ætérnum, et dedit illi sacerdótium magnum: et beatificávit illum in glória. Fungi sacerdótio, et habére laudem in nómine ipsíus, et offérre illi incénsum dignum in odórem suavitátis.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the Book of Wisdom, Eccles.

Eccl xliv. 16-27; xiv. 3-20

Behold, a great priest, who in his days pleased God, and was found just; and in the time of wrath he was made a reconciliation. There was not found the like to him, who kept the law of the Most High. Therefore, by an oath, the Lord made him to increase among his people. He gave him the blessing of all nations, and confirmed His covenant upon his head. He acknowledged him in His blessings; He preserved for him His mercy; and he found grace before the eyes of the Lord. He glorified him in the sight of kings, and gave him a crown of glory. He made an everlasting covenant with him, and gave him a great priesthood; and made him blessed in glory. To execute the office of the priesthood, and to have praise in His name, and to offer Him a worthy incense for an odor of sweetness.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxv. 14-23

In illo témpore: Dixit Jesus discipulis suis parábolam hanc: Homo proficiscens vocavit servos suos et tradidit illis bona sua. Et uni dedit quinque talenta alii autem duo alii vero unum unicuique secundum propriam virtutem et profectus est statim. Abiit autem qui quinque talenta acceperat et operatus est in eis et lucratus est alia quinque, Similiter qui duo acceperat lucratus est alia duo. Qui autem unum acceperat abiens fodit in terra et abscondit pecuniam domini sui. Post multum vero temporis venit dominus servorum illorum et posuit rationem cum eis. Et accedens qui quinque talenta acceperat obtulit alia quinque talenta dicens domine quinque talenta mihi tradidisti ecce alia quinque superlucratus sum. Ait illi dominus eius euge bone serve et fidelis quia super pauca fuisti fidelis super multa te constituam intra in gaudium domini tui. Accessit autem et qui duo talenta acceperat et ait domine duo talenta tradidisti mihi ecce alia duo lucratus sum. Ait illi dominus eius euge serve bone et fidelis quia super pauca fuisti fidelis supra multa te constituam intra in gaudium domini tui.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt xxv. 14-23

At that time, For even as a man going into a far country, called his servants, and delivered to them his goods; And to one he gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, to every one according to his proper ability: and immediately he took his journey. And he that had received the five talents, went his way, and traded with the same, and gained other five. And in like manner he that had received the two, gained other two. But he that had received the one, going his way digged into the earth, and hid his lord's money. But after a long time the lord of those servants came, and reckoned with them. And he that had received the five talents coming, brought other five talents, saying: Lord, thou didst deliver to me five talents, behold I have gained other five over and above. His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant, because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. And he also that had received the two talents came and said: Lord, thou deliveredst two talents to me: behold I have gained other two. His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant: because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

St Patrick was the son of a Roman provincial officer, and was carried off as a boy by a band of marauding Scotti and kept in slavery in Ireland. Having effected his escape, he devoted himself in Tours and Lerins to the study of Holy Scripture, and returned to Ireland with a few companions to spread the light of Christianity. His mission was remarkably successful, and before long Ireland became a centre of Christian culture and asceticism. St Patrick was a man of great austerity, and, as his writings show, deep humility. He died about 464.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 869.

Readings for the Fifth Sunday of Lent

Gospel

Jn 12:20-33

Some Greeks who had come to worship at the Passover Feast

came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, 

and asked him, “Sir, we would like to see Jesus.”

Philip went and told Andrew; 

then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.

Jesus answered them, 

“The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.

Amen, amen, I say to you, 

unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, 

it remains just a grain of wheat; 

but if it dies, it produces much fruit.

Whoever loves his life loses it,

and whoever hates his life in this world

will preserve it for eternal life.

Whoever serves me must follow me, 

and where I am, there also will my servant be.

The Father will honor whoever serves me.

“I am troubled now. Yet what should I say?

‘Father, save me from this hour’?

But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour.

Father, glorify your name.”

Then a voice came from heaven, 

“I have glorified it and will glorify it again.”

The crowd there heard it and said it was thunder; 

but others said, “An angel has spoken to him.”

Jesus answered and said, 

“This voice did not come for my sake but for yours.

Now is the time of judgment on this world; 

now the ruler of this world will be driven out.

And when I am lifted up from the earth, 

I will draw everyone to myself.”

He said this indicating the kind of death he would die.

Source :

• Advertisement

Second Sunday of the Passion or Palm Sunday

Double of the First Class

Solemn Procession of the Palms in Honour of Christ the King

Evangelium

Sequéntia ✠ sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthǽum.

R. Glória tibi, Dómine.

Matt 21:1-9

In illo témpore: Cum appropinquásset Iesus Ierosólymis, et venísset Béthphage ad montem Olivéti: tunc misit duos discípulos suos, dicens eis: Ite in castéllum, quod contra vos est, et statim inveniétis ásinam alligátam et pullum cum ea: sólvite et addúcite mihi: et si quis vobis áliquid dixerit, dícite, quia Dóminus his opus habet, et conféstim dimíttet eos. Hoc autem totum factum est, ut adimplerétur, quod dictum est per Prophétam, dicéntem: Dícite fíliae Sion: Ecce, Rex tuus venit tibi mansuétus, sedens super ásinam et pullum, fílium subiugális. Eúntes autem discípuli, fecérunt, sicut præcépit illis Iesus. Et adduxérunt ásinam et pullum: et imposuérunt super eos vestiménta sua, et eum désuper sedére tecérunt. Plúrima autem turba stravérunt vestiménta sua in via: álii autem cædébant ramos de arbóribus, et sternébant in via: turbæ autem, quæ præcedébant et quæ sequebántur, clamábant, dicéntes: Hosánna fílio David: benedíctus, qui venit in nómine Dómini.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Evangelio finito, subdiaconus defert librum osculandum celebranti, qui non incensatur a diacono.

The Mass

Gospel

Continuation ✠ of the holy Gospel according to Matthew.

Matt 21:1-9

At that time, when Jesus drew nigh to Jerusalem, and was come to Bethphage, unto Mount Olivet, then He sent two disciples, saying to them: Go ye into the village that is over against you, and immediately you shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them and bring them to Me. And if any man shall say anything to you, say ye, that the Lord hath need of them: and forthwith he will let them go. Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: Tell ye the daughter of Sion: Behold thy King cometh to thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of her that is used to the yoke. And the disciples going, did as Jesus commanded them. And they brought the ass and the colt, and laid their garments upon them, and made him sit thereon. And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way: and others cut boughs from the trees, and strewed them in the way, and the multitudes that went before and that followed, cried, saying: Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Philippénses.

Phil 2:5-11

Fratres: Hoc enim sentíte in vobis, quod et in Christo Iesu: qui, cum in forma Dei esset, non rapínam arbitrátus est esse se æqualem Deo: sed semetípsum exinanívit, formam servi accípiens, in similitúdinem hóminum factus, et hábitu invéntus ut homo. Humiliávit semetípsum, factus oboediens usque ad mortem, mortem autem crucis. Propter quod et Deus exaltávit illum: ei donávit illi nomen, quod est super omne nomen: hic genuflectitur ut in nómine Iesu omne genu flectátur coeléstium, terréstrium et inférno rum: et omnis lingua confiteátur, quia Dóminus Iesus Christus in glória est Dei Patris.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St. Paul to the Philippians

Phil 2:5 - 11.

Brethren: Have this in mind in you which was also in Christ Jesus, Who, though He was by nature God, did not consider being equal to God a thing to be clung to, but emptied Himself, taking the nature of a slave and being made like unto men. And appearing in the form of man, He humbled Himself, becoming obedient to death, even to death on a cross. Therefore God also has exalted Him and has bestowed upon Him the Name that is above every name, Kneel so that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven, on earth and under the earth and every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Pássio Dómini nostri Iesu Christi secúndum Matthǽum.

Matt 26:36-75; 27:1-60.

In illo tempore venit Iesus cum illis in villam, quæ dícitur Gethsémani, et dixit discípulis suis: I. Sedéte hic, donec vadam illuc et orem. C. Et assúmpto Petro et duóbus fíliis Zebedaei, coepit contristári et mæstus esse. Tunc ait illis: I. Tristis est ánima mea usque ad mortem: sustinéte hic, et vigilate mecum. C. Et progréssus pusíllum, prócidit in fáciem suam, orans et dicens: I. Pater mi, si possíbile est, tránseat a me calix iste: Verúmtamen non sicut ego volo, sed sicut tu. C. Et venit ad discípulos suos, et invénit eos dormiéntes: et dicit Petro: I. Sic non potuístis una hora vigiláre mecum? Vigiláte et oráte, ut non intrétis in tentatiónem. Spíritus quidem promptus est, caro autem infírma. C. Iterum secúndo ábiit et orávit, dicens: I. Pater mi, si non potest hic calix transíre, nisi bibam illum, fiat volúntas tua. C. Et venit íterum, et invenit eos dormiéntes: erant enim óculi eórum graváti. Et relíctis illis, íterum ábiit et orávit tértio, eúndem sermónem dicens. Tunc venit ad discípulos suos, et dicit illis: I. Dormíte iam et requiéscite: ecce, appropinquávit hora, et Fílius hóminis tradétur in manus peccatórum. Súrgite, eámus: ecce, appropinquávit, qui me tradet. C. Adhuc eo loquénte, ecce, Iudas, unus de duódecim, venit, et cum eo turba multa cum gládiis et fústibus, missi a princípibus sacerdótum et senióribus pópuli. Qui autem trádidit eum, dedit illis signum, dicens: S. Quemcúmque osculátus fúero, ipse est, tenéte eum. C. Et conféstim accédens ad Iesum, dixit: S. Ave, Rabbi. C. Et osculátus est eum. Dixítque illi Iesus: I. Amíce, ad quid venísti? C. Tunc accessérunt, et manus iniecérunt in Iesum et tenuérunt eum. Et ecce, unus ex his, qui erant cum Iesu, exténdens manum, exémit gládium suum, et percútiens servum príncipis sacerdótum, amputávit aurículam eius. Tunc ait illi Iesus: I. Convérte gládium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui accéperint gládium, gládio períbunt. An putas, quia non possum rogáre Patrem meum, et exhibébit mihi modo plus quam duódecim legiónes Angelórum? Quómodo ergo implebúntur Scripturae, quia sic oportet fíeri? C. In illa hora dixit Iesus turbis: I. Tamquam ad latrónem exístis cum gládiis et fústibus comprehéndere me: cotídie apud vos sedébam docens in templo, et non me tenuístis. C. Hoc autem totum factum est, ut adimpleréntur Scripturae Prophetárum. Tunc discípuli omnes, relícto eo, fugérunt. At illi tenéntes Iesum, duxérunt ad Cáipham, príncipem sacerdótum, ubi scribæ et senióres convénerant. Petrus autem sequebátur eum a longe, usque in átrium príncipis sacerdótum. Et ingréssus intro, sedébat cum minístris, ut vidéret finem. Príncipes autem sacerdótum et omne concílium quærébant falsum testimónium contra Iesum, ut eum morti tráderent: et non invenérunt, cum multi falsi testes accessíssent. Novíssime autem venérunt duo falsi testes et dixérunt: S. Hic dixit: Possum destrúere templum Dei, et post tríduum reædificáre illud. C. Et surgens princeps sacerdótum, ait illi: S. Nihil respóndes ad ea, quæ isti advérsum te testificántur? C. Iesus autem tacébat. Et princeps sacerdótum ait illi: S. Adiúro te per Deum vivum, ut dicas nobis, si tu es Christus, Fílius Dei. C. Dicit illi Iesus: I. Tu dixísti. Verúmtamen dico vobis, ámodo vidébitis Fílium hóminis sedéntem a dextris virtútis Dei, et veniéntem in núbibus coeli. C. Tunc princeps sacerdótum scidit vestiménta sua, dicens: S. Blasphemávit: quid adhuc egémus téstibus? Ecce, nunc audístis blasphémiam: quid vobis vidétur? C. At illi respondéntes dixérunt: S. Reus est mortis. C. Tunc exspuérunt in fáciem eius, et cólaphis eum cecidérunt, álii autem palmas in fáciem eius dedérunt, dicéntes: S. Prophetíza nobis, Christe, quis est, qui te percússit? C. Petrus vero sedébat foris in átrio: et accéssit ad eum una ancílla, dicens: S. Et tu cum Iesu Galilaeo eras. C. At ille negávit coram ómnibus, dicens: S. Néscio, quid dicis. C. Exeúnte autem illo iánuam, vidit eum ália ancílla, et ait his, qui erant ibi: S. Et hic erat cum Iesu Nazaréno. C. Et íterum negávit cum iuraménto: Quia non novi hóminem. Et post pusíllum accessérunt, qui stabant, et dixérunt Petro: S. Vere et tu ex illis es: nam et loquéla tua maniféstum te facit. C. Tunc coepit detestári et iuráre, quia non novísset hóminem. Et contínuo gallus cantávit. Et recordátus est Petrus verbi Iesu, quod díxerat: Priúsquam gallus cantet, ter me negábis. Et egréssus foras, flevit amáre. Mane autem facto, consílium iniérunt omnes príncipes sacerdótum et senióres pópuli advérsus Iesum, ut eum morti tráderent. Et vinctum adduxérunt eum, et tradidérunt Póntio Piláto praesidi. Tunc videns Iudas, qui eum trádidit, quod damnátus esset, pæniténtia ductus, réttulit trigínta argénteos princípibus sacerdótum et senióribus, dicens: S. Peccávi, tradens sánguinem iustum. C. At illi dixérunt: S. Quid ad nos? Tu vidéris. C. Et proiéctis argénteis in templo, recéssit: et ábiens, láqueo se suspéndit. Príncipes autem sacerdótum, accéptis argénteis, dixérunt: S. Non licet eos míttere in córbonam: quia prétium sánguinis est. C. Consílio autem ínito, emérunt ex illis agrum fíguli, in sepultúram peregrinórum. Propter hoc vocátus est ager ille, Hacéldama, hoc est, ager sánguinis, usque in hodiérnum diem. Tunc implétum est, quod dictum est per Ieremíam Prophétam, dicéntem: Et accepérunt trigínta argénteos prétium appretiáti, quem appretiavérunt a fíliis Israël: et dedérunt eos in agrum fíguli, sicut constítuit mihi Dóminus. Iesus autem stetit ante praesidem, et interrogávit eum præses, dicens: S. Tu es Rex Iudæórum? C. Dicit illi Iesus: I. Tu dicis. C. Et cum accusarétur a princípibus sacerdótum et senióribus, nihil respóndit. Tunc dicit illi Pilátus: S. Non audis, quanta advérsum te dicunt testimónia? C. Et non respóndit ei ad ullum verbum, ita ut mirarétur præses veheménter. Per diem autem sollémnem consuéverat præses pópulo dimíttere unum vinctum, quem voluíssent. Habébat autem tunc vinctum insígnem, qui dicebátur Barábbas. Congregátis ergo illis, dixit Pilátus: S. Quem vultis dimíttam vobis: Barábbam, an Iesum, qui dícitur Christus? C. Sciébat enim, quod per invídiam tradidíssent eum. Sedénte autem illo pro tribunáli, misit ad eum uxor eius, dicens: S. Nihil tibi et iusto illi: multa enim passa sum hódie per visum propter eum. C. Príncipes autem sacerdótum et senióres persuasérunt populis, ut péterent Barábbam, Iesum vero pérderent. Respóndens autem præses, ait illis: S. Quem vultis vobis de duóbus dimítti? C. At illi dixérunt: S. Barábbam. C. Dicit illis Pilátus: S. Quid ígitur fáciam de Iesu, qui dícitur Christus? C. Dicunt omnes: S. Crucifigátur. C. Ait illis præses: S. Quid enim mali fecit? C. At illi magis clamábant,dicéntes: S. Crucifigátur. C. Videns autem Pilátus, quia nihil profíceret, sed magis tumúltus fíeret: accépta aqua, lavit manus coram pópulo, dicens: S. Innocens ego sum a sánguine iusti huius: vos vidéritis. C. Et respóndens univérsus pópulus, dixit: S. Sanguis eius super nos et super fílios nostros. C. Tunc dimísit illis Barábbam: Iesum autem flagellátum trádidit eis, ut crucifigerétur. Tunc mílites praesidis suscipiéntes Iesum in prætórium, congregavérunt ad eum univérsam cohórtem: et exuéntes eum, chlámydem coccíneam circumdedérunt ei: et plecténtes corónam de spinis, posuérunt super caput eius, et arúndinem in déxtera eius. Et genu flexo ante eum, illudébant ei, dicéntes: S. Ave, Rex Iudæórum. C. Et exspuéntes in eum, accepérunt arúndinem, et percutiébant caput eius. Et postquam illusérunt ei, exuérunt eum chlámyde et induérunt eum vestiméntis eius, et duxérunt eum, ut crucifígerent. Exeúntes autem, invenérunt hóminem Cyrenaeum, nómine Simónem: hunc angariavérunt, ut tólleret crucem eius. Et venérunt in locum, qui dícitur Gólgotha, quod est Calváriæ locus. Et dedérunt ei vinum bíbere cum felle mixtum. Et cum gustásset, nóluit bibere. Postquam autem crucifixérunt eum, divisérunt vestiménta eius, sortem mitténtes: ut implerétur, quod dictum est per Prophétam dicentem: Divisérunt sibi vestiménta mea, et super vestem meam misérunt sortem. Et sedéntes, servábant eum. Et imposuérunt super caput eius causam ipsíus scriptam: Hic est Iesus, Rex Iudæórum. Tunc crucifíxi sunt cum eo duo latrónes: unus a dextris et unus a sinístris. Prætereúntes autem blasphemábant eum, movéntes cápita sua et dicéntes: S. Vah, qui déstruis templum Dei et in tríduo illud reædíficas: salva temetípsum. Si Fílius Dei es, descénde de cruce. C. Simíliter et príncipes sacerdótum illudéntes cum scribis et senióribus, dicébant: S. Alios salvos fecit, seípsum non potest salvum fácere: si Rex Israël est, descéndat nunc de cruce, et crédimus ei: confídit in Deo: líberet nunc, si vult eum: dixit enim: Quia Fílius Dei sum. C. Idípsum autem et latrónes, qui crucifíxi erant cum eo, improperábant ei. A sexta autem hora ténebræ factæ sunt super univérsam terram usque ad horam nonam. Et circa horam nonam clamávit Iesus voce magna, dicens: I. Eli, Eli, lamma sabactháni? C. Hoc est: I. Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquísti me? C. Quidam autem illic stantes et audiéntes dicébant: S. Elíam vocat iste. C. Et contínuo currens unus ex eis, accéptam spóngiam implévit acéto et impósuit arúndini, et dabat ei bíbere. Céteri vero dicébant: S. Sine, videámus, an véniat Elías líberans eum. C. Iesus autem íterum clamans voce magna, emísit spíritum.

Hic genuflectitur, et pausatur aliquantulum.

Et ecce, velum templi scissum est in duas partes a summo usque deórsum: et terra mota est, et petræ scissæ sunt, et monuménta apérta sunt: et multa córpora sanctórum, qui dormíerant, surrexérunt. Et exeúntes de monuméntis post resurrectiónem eius, venérunt in sanctam civitátem, et apparuérunt multis. Centúrio autem et qui cum eo erant, custodiéntes Iesum, viso terræmótu et his, quæ fiébant, timuérunt valde, dicéntes: S. Vere Fílius Dei erat iste. C. Erant autem ibi mulíeres multæ a longe, quæ secútæ erant Iesum a Galilaea, ministrántes ei: inter quas erat María Magdaléne, et María Iacóbi, et Ioseph mater, et mater filiórum Zebedaei. Cum autem sero factum esset, venit quidam homo dives ab Arimathaea, nómine Ioseph, qui et ipse discípulus erat Iesu. Hic accéssit ad Pilátum, et pétiit corpus Iesu. Tunc Pilátus iussit reddi corpus. Et accépto córpore, Ioseph invólvit illud in síndone munda. Et pósuit illud in monuménto suo novo, quod excíderat in petra. Et advólvit saxum magnum ad óstium monuménti, et ábiit.

Gospel

The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew.

Matt. 26:36-75; 27:1-60.

At that time, Jesus came with them into a country place which is called Gethsemani; and He said to His disciples: J. Sit you here, till I go yonder and pray. C. And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to grow sorrowful and to be sad. Then He saith to them: J. My soul is sorrowful even unto death; stay you here and watch with Me. C. And going a little further, He fell upon His face, praying and saying: J. My Father, if it be possible, let this chalice pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt. C. And He cometh to His disciples, and findeth them asleep. And He saith to Peter: J. What! Could you not watch one hour with Me? Watch ye, and pray that ye enter not into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. C. Again the second time, He went and prayed, saying: J. My Father, if this chalice may not pass away, but I must drink it, Thy will be done. C. And He cometh again, and findeth them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. And leaving them, He went again and He prayed the third time, saying the self-same word. Then He cometh to His disciples, and saith to them: J. Sleep ye now and take your rest; behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man shall be betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us go; behold, he is at hand that will betray Me. C. As He yet spoke, behold Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the ancients of the people. And he that betrayed Him gave them a sign, saying: S. Whomsoever I shall kiss, that is He; hold Him fast. C. And forthwith coming to Jesus, he said: S. Hail, Rabbi. C. And he kissed Him. And Jesus said to him: J. Friend, whereto art thou come? C. Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus, and held Him. And behold one of them that were with Jesus, stretching forth his hand, drew out his sword, and striking the servant of the high priest, cut off his ear. Then Jesus saith to him: J. Put up again thy sword into its place; for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot ask My Father, and He will give Me presently more than twelve legions of Angels? How then shall the Scriptures be fulfilled, that so it must be done? C. In that same hour Jesus said to the multitudes: J. You are come out, as it were to a robber, with swords and clubs to apprehend Me. I sat daily with you, teaching in the temple, and you laid not hands on Me. C. Now all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then the disciples, all leaving Him, fled. But they holding Jesus led Him to Caiphas the high priest, where the scribes and the ancients were assembled. And Peter followed Him afar off, even to the court of the high priest. And going in, he sat with the servants, that he might see the end. And the chief priests and the whole council sought false witness against Jesus, that they might put Him to death. And they found none, whereas many false witnesses had come in. And last of all there came two false witnesses; and they said: This man said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and after three days to rebuild it. And the high priest, rising up, said to Him: S. Answerest Thou nothing to the things which these witness against Thee? C. But Jesus held His peace. And the high priest said to Him: S. I adjure Thee by the living God, that Thou tell us if Thou be the Christ the Son of God. C. Jesus saith to him: J. Thou hast said it. Nevertheless I say to you, hereafter you shall see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of the power of God, and coming in the clouds of heaven. C. Then the high priest rent his garments, saying: S. He hath blasphemed; what further need have we of witnesses? Behold, now you have heard the blasphemy. What think you? C. But they answering, said: S. He is guilty of death. C. Then they did spit in His face and buffeted Him; and others struck His face with the palms of their hands, saying: S. Prophesy unto us, O Christ, who is he that struck Thee? C. But Peter sat without in the court, and there came to him a servant maid, saying: S. Thou also wast with Jesus the Galilean. C. But he denied it before them all, saying: S. I know not what thou sayest. C. And as he went out of the gate, another maid saw him, and she saith to them that were there: S. This man also was with Jesus of Nazareth. C. And again he denied it with an oath: S. I know not the man. C. And after a little while, they came that stood by and said to Peter: S. Surely thou also art one of them; for even thy speech doth discover thee. C. Then he began to curse and to swear that he knew not the man; and immediately the cock crew. And Peter remembered the words of Jesus which He had said: before the cock crow, thou wilt deny Me thrice. And going forth, he wept bitterly. And when morning was come, all the chief priests and ancients ofthe people took counsel against Jesus, that they might put Him to death. And they brought Him bound, and delivered Him to Pontius Pilate the governor. Then Judas, who betrayed Him, seeing that He was condemned, repenting himself, brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and ancients, saying: S. I have sinned in betraying innocent blood. C. But they said: S. What is that to us? Look thou to it. C. And casting down the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed, and went and hanged himself with a halter. But the chief priests having taken the pieces of silver, said: S. It is not lawful to put them into the corbona, because it is the price of blood. And after they had consulted together, they bought with them the potter's field, to be a burying-place for strangers. For this cause that field was called Haceldama, that is, the field of blood, even to this day. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremias the prophet, saying: And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of Him that was prized, whom they prized of the children of Israel: and they gave them unto the potter's field, as the Lord appointed to me. And Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked Him, saying: S.Art Thou the King of the Jews? C. Jesus saith to him: J. Thou sayest it. C. And when He was accused by the chief priests and ancients, He answered nothing. Then Pilate saith to Him: S. Dost not Thou hear how great testimonies they allege against Thee? C. And He answered to him never a word, so that the governor wondered exceedingly. Now upon the solemn day the governor was accustomed to release to the people one prisoner, whom they would. And he had then a notorious prisoner that was called Barabbas. They therefore being gathered together, Pilate said: S. Whom will you that I release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus that is called Christ? C. For he knew that for envy they had delivered Him. And as he was sitting in the place of judgment his wife sent to him, saying: S. Have thou nothing to do with that just man, for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of Him. C. But the chief priests and ancients persuaded the people that they should ask Barabbas, and make Jesus away. And the governor answering, said to them: S. Whither will you of the two to be released unto you? C. But they said: S. Barabbas. C. Pilate saith to them: S. What shall I do then with Jesus that is called Christ? C. They all call: S. Let Him be crucified. C. The governor said to them: S. Why, what evil hath He done? C. But they cried out the more, saying: S. Let Him be crucified. C. And Pilate seeing that he prevailed nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, taking water washed his hands before the people, saying: S. I am innocent of the blood of this just man; look you to it. C. And the whole people answering, said: S. His blood be upon us and upon our children. C. Then he released to them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered Him unto them to be crucified. Then the soldiers of the governor, taking Jesus into the hall, gathered together unto Him the whole band; and stripping Him they put a scarlet cloak about Him. And platting a crown of thorns they put it upon His head and a reed in His right hand. And bowing the knee before Him, they mocked Him, saying: S. Hail, King of the Jews. C. And spitting upon Him, they took the reed and struck His head. And after they had mocked Him, they took off the cloak from Him, and put on Him His own garments, and led Him away to crucify Him. And going out, they found a man of Cyrene, named Simon; him they forced to take up His cross. And they came to the place that is called Golgotha, which is, the place of Calvary. And they gave Him wine to drink mingled with gall; and when He had tasted He would not drink. And after they had crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: They divided My garments among them, and upon my vesture they cast lots. And they sat and watched Him. And they put over His head His cause written: This is Jesus the King of the Jews. Then were crucified with Him two thieves; one on the right hand and one on the left. And they that passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads, and saying: S. Vah, Thou that destroyest the temple of God and in three days dost rebuild it, save Thine own self. If Thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. C. In like manner also the chief priests with the scribes and ancients, mocking, said: S. He saved others, Himself He cannot save; if He be the king of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him; He trusted in God, let Him now deliver Him if He will have Him; for He said: I am the Son of God. C. And the self-same thing the thieves also that were crucified with Him reproached Him with. Now from the sixth hour there was a darkness over the whole earth, until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying: J. Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani? C. That is: J. My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me? C. And some that stood there and heard said: S. This man calleth Elias. C. And immediately one of them running took a sponge and filled it with vinegar and and gave Him to drink. And the others said: S. Let be; let us see whether Elias will come to deliver Him. C. And Jesus again crying with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Here all kneel and pause for a few moments

And behold the veil of the temple was rent in two from top even to the bottom; and the earth quaked and the rocks were rent; and the graves were opened, and many bodies of the saints that had slept arose, and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection, came into the holy city, and appeared to many. Now the centurion and they that were with him watching Jesus, having seen the earthquake and the things that were done, were sore afraid, saying: S. Indeed this was the Son of God. C. And there were there many women afar off, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto Him: among whom was Mary Magdalen, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee. And when it was evening, there came a certain rich man of Arimathea, named Joseph, who also himself was a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded that the body should be delivered. And Joseph taking the body wrapt it up in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new monument, which he had hewed out in a rock. And he rolled a great stone to the door of the monument and went his way.

During this, the holiest week of the year, Mother Church asks her children to recall with singular devotion, the greatest mystery of our faith 'Jesus, crucified and then has risen' and also Christ instituting the Most Holy Eucharist. In order to make it easier for the faithful to participate in these inspiring and grace-laden ceremonies, Pope Pius XII promulgated the following order for Holy Week.

St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., 1963. p. 263.

Advertisement