Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Care since moving to Apartment

Options
  • 03-05-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Anybody used Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash?
    It's got great reviews on detailingworld.

I can't hand wash the car anymore since moving to an Apartment and forfeiting a driveway so the oily grime on the car doesn't get removed by just a jet wash.

Can't vacuum my car at home either, brutal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Its decent stuff but as with most pre-cleans after two or three washes it will have stripped off protection.
    What you might be better off doing is, instead of putting on a wax or sealant, as it will be stripped, is to buy a spray quicker detailer / protection that will last long enough to get you from wash to wash. Quick and essy to apply. Dry car reasonably well, spray on, buff in. Simples.

Where are you living. ..perhaps someone knows off a good car wash near you. For example Elite Auto Wash in Ballycoolin, Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Dublin 7, so blanch isn't that far. I'm using the jet wash in tesco at finglas lately.
    What are Elite like? What do they offer and charge?

I was thinking of getting some sonax BSD, I've seen impressive reviews but I don't know if anyone in Ireland sells it so would have to pay postage from the uk.

Ian in Elite is excellent. Proper wash techniques is the key - uses two bucket method, proper shampoo, drying towels, etc. You could have a good choice of protection on your car and he'll ensure it doesnt get stripped away. Not sure on current prices for a basic wash, but have always heard he does too much for what he's getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

what about something like ONR, using it carefully your paintwork would remain in good shape. not necessary 100% swirl free, but acceptable once the car isn't too heavily soiled. i'd much rather it to a tesco car wash anyway.

ONR could be done if the roads were dry and you were to wash the car every 2nd day. Light dust is all that it will really safely remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Main thing to consider, you dont say if your apartment has underground parking.

If it does be wary of any lime drips from the concrete roof.

what about something like ONR, using it carefully your paintwork would remain in good shape. not necessary 100% swirl free, but acceptable once the car isn't too heavily soiled. i'd much rather it to a tesco car wash anyway.

Not really convinced on ONR. But might read up on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not really convinced on ONR. But might read up on it again.

nor am i really. i'm an apartment dweller myself, would love for someone else to trial ONR for me :P i generally just hold off on washing until i'm back at the parents place or if i'm really stuck i take my own mitts to tescos.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Main thing to consider, you dont say if your apartment has underground parking.

If it does be wary of any lime drips from the concrete roof.

Yeah it's underground, and some of the spaces have a serious lime problem.
    I've seen a few cars and one is seriously damaged by it. I think the owners are oblivious though. I wouldn't accept it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I've used the ONR wash & wax version for the past 18 months and my car has never looked better. It is only washed every 2 weeks at most. I only do a shampoo wash once every 2-3 months and that's mostly just to clean under wheel arches with a pressure washer. To say they are only safe to use on nothing more than light dust is nonsense. Without ever having used such a product it would be easy to have all sorts of preconceptions. Some people confuse a no rinse wash with a waterless wash or lump them together as one and the same. The key difference is highlighted by the volume of water used. Rinseless washes use up to two gallons of water in a bucket (with a second bucket to rinse out wash mitts if you like), whereas a waterless wash uses a few ounces/mls of solution from a spray bottle. They are worlds apart. A rinseless wash is more like a normal shampoo wash, except without any foam and so without the need for any rinsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cMHR0a0Ok

It will be quite different initially compared with washing when using a high foaming shampoo. With a rinseless wash (no suds) you are washing with just a liquid solution, so it will be less luxurious to the senses (mostly less visual gratification in action) as a washing experience, compared with using a high foaming shampoo. But so long as you do not let this characteristic cloud your judgement and you weigh up rinseless wash products with water conservation and anti-pollution measures in mind, the hassle free ease of use and actual washing results, you will probably dump the hose and pressure washer for many months at a time. I've switched already because I prefer to do a rinseless wash and when water charges come in it will be a no brainer.

Rinseless washes have to be evaluated over a longer period of time to fully appreciate what they offer. Not just form an opinion based on inexperience or ignorance. The other thing rinseless washes prove and why they were invented in the first place, is that there is no need to waste hundreds of litres of water every week or two washing a car. But then it is human nature to devalue things like water when it is obtained for nothing. People's attitude to water pollution also needs to change. Instead of turning a blind eye to all the various chemicals used, to stop and think about what you are allowing to flow down your driveway/street and into drains.

• Advertisement

Which products do you use or recommend?
    I suppose I could be a bit narrow minded when it comes to it....it just goes against all the logic that years of doing things a certain way has been embedded into the head. I will have to do some testing with the best products and reform my opinion.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Curran wrote: »
    Ian in Elite is excellent. Proper wash techniques is the key - uses two bucket method, proper shampoo, drying towels, etc. You could have a good choice of protection on your car and he'll ensure it doesnt get stripped away. Not sure on current prices for a basic wash, but have always heard he does too much for what he's getting!

Sweet. I too live in an apartment. PITA keeping the car clean, and I usually head back to the parents to give it a clean (wet roads ruin all my hard work on the drive back), and I wont go near any typical car washes. Good to finally know somewhere that uses 2 buckets.

Im due a DA too, but since ive all the stuff, ill do that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax myself. There is also another version (the original one) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. The improved looks and extra protection the wash and wax version adds is why I use it. Other manufacturers like Duragloss have brought out their own version of a rinseless wash and wax. There are quite a few different brands out there (mostly American) so you need to have a more global view of detailing to be aware of them. Optimum have been doing it the longest, at least for the enthusiast/premium end of the market. Meguiar's brought out their own versions more recently but only sell them in the detailer gallon range. They call them Rinse Free (Express) Wash and Rinse Free (Express) Wash and Wax. I'm sure in time they will bring out smaller bottles for sale in high street shops. Even Turtle Wax brought out a version in America but it isn't as concentrated or as high quality as others and not on sale in Europe. Rinseless washes will get more and more popular when people give them proper evaluation over a period of time (the spring and summer months are the best time to start).

Then you have other products which come in special concentrates, which can be used for multiple purposes like waterless wash, rinseless wash, detail spray, clay lube, glass cleaner, interior cleaner and so on.

Just like your taste buds (palate) take a few weeks to adapt to something new when you have a fondness or addiction to something quite different, you need to stick with it for a while. Changing from a high foaming shampoo wash to a rinseless wash is a bit like that. Having only ever washed a car using lots of foam, it will feel strange washing without it. Not as visually pleasing so you need to make allowances for that. Those who do a shampoo wash with a supersoft plush wool wash mitt, may find wiping a sponge (in particular) or microfibre towel or noodle mitt across paintwork far less tactile an experience. Again try and look past that as some wash tools suit a rinseless wash better than others and not always the same type that you would use in the case of a high foaming shampoo wash. But like in the videos below, a rinseless wash can be used in several different ways and you need to test different wash methods and various types of wash tools for yourself, to work out what approach you prefer and what works best for you personally. The first few times washes take longer until you get a feel for things. When you have worked out your preferred wash process, rinseless washes are performed quickly and without all the hassle of taking out hoses or pressure washers and then having to put them away again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39_fKxDbUA - This is one method that is only really suitable when there isn't very much dirt on a vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cMHR0a0Ok - This is more appropriate to what a car would look like in Ireland and IMHO a better approach. Except rinsing out a soft grouting sponge or microfibre noodle mitt (whatever you prefer) in another bucket of water and then squeezing out fully before placing it back into the wash solution.

You need to look at numerous videos on youtube and then test different things out for yourself. Effectively develop you own individual wash method.

It seems a lot of people are in the same boat. Thanks for the advice guys.
    I'll check out elite, and look into ONR, though I may stick with something more conventional in the meantime.

I'm sitting in the car outside elite, and from what I can see, there's no one here. Their office looks packed up. Only remains are their massive sign, if which one number doesn't ring, and the other rings out.

Who can wash my car now!

Are you in Ballycoolin??

Unit 8,

Orion Business Campus,

Northwest Business Park,

Ballycoolin,

Dublin 15

Phone: 0852099630

Unit 8,

Orion Business Campus,

Northwest Business Park,

Ballycoolin,

Dublin 15

Phone: 0852099630
    Yep, was there an hour ago. Rang that number, but it didn't ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Just an additional thumbs up for ONR, I used it for about a year and was impressed. Worth going to a jet wash to remove any heavy grime first though, even if just to make washing easier.

A quick spritz of a citrus degreaser would be an added benefit before pre-wash but I always had concerns about it degrading the Wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ELite used update their FB page every few days if not daily. No updates since July 24th :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Hello guys, Please can you advice me on how to look after a new car from polishing etc point of view.

Do I need to apply wax/polish etc on a month old car or should i wait few months before doing that ?

ELite used update their FB page every few days if not daily. No updates since July 24th :(

Gave them a ring. Closed until Sept 1st. I fly out to Italy Sept 5th. Might just leave the car in filth until im back. Poor thing.

Also, underground car parks = dust + no rain = awful dirty car. I even parked under a tree once just to get some rain water.

I posted on their FB page and Ian said he took some time off and back September 1st :)

I posted on their FB page and Ian said he took some time off and back September 1st :)

Yeah.. didnt want to mention much detail. Business left idle etc. Scumbags are everywhere.

bbari wrote: »
    Hello guys, Please can you advice me on how to look after a new car from polishing etc point of view.

Do I need to apply wax/polish etc on a month old car or should i wait few months before doing that ?

Depends on where the car was in storage until the time you got it!

Provided the dealer didnt inflict any damage to the paintwork while preparing it, it shouldnt need polishing. Though it might need some degree of decontamination.

A wax or sealant would definitely be recommended to protected the paintwork. Along with 2 buckets, a good drying towel and a pH neutral shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Depends on where the car was in storage until the time you got it!

Provided the dealer didnt inflict any damage to the paintwork while preparing it, it shouldnt need polishing. Though it might need some degree of decontamination.

A wax or sealant would definitely be recommended to protected the paintwork. Along with 2 buckets, a good drying towel and a pH neutral shampoo.

Thank a lot Curran.

Towel - on a different thread I got advise of "Dry me Crazy".
    Sealant - I see you guys like 845.
    Shampoo - Any specific one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Gave them a ring. Closed until Sept 1st. I fly out to Italy Sept 5th. Might just leave the car in filth until im back. Poor thing.

Also, underground car parks = dust + no rain = awful dirty car. I even parked under a tree once just to get some rain water.

Some of the larger topaz garages have powerhoses. Bring two buckets, a wash mitt, shampoo and a towel to dry...happy days

Some of the larger topaz garages have powerhoses. Bring two buckets, a wash mitt, shampoo and a towel to dry...happy days

Aren't those things normally timed? It takes longer to wash a car properly compared to using the brush attached to those yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Aren't those things normally timed? It takes longer to wash a car properly compared to using the brush attached to those yokes.

I think it's 5 mins. But still better than a dirty car

• Advertisement

It takes me longer than 5 minutes to wash my car especially when doing a panel at a time!

Advertisement