Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deenside Cup race, Kilkenny, 1st June

Options
  • 02-05-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

On Sunday 1st June, 'Deenside Wheelers' cycling club, based in Castlecomer, north Kilkenny, will run a new open race, ... The Deenside Cup.

Full details are posted on Deenside Wheeler's website here: http://www.deensidewheelers.com/racing/deenside-cup

Basic details are:
    Date: Sunday June 1st
    Sign-on: 10:30 to 12:00 [No riders will be allowed to sign-on after 12:00]
    Fee: €10
    Distances:
    • A+/A1/A2 - 140km (4 laps) (1,040m climbing) – 12:15 Start
    • A3 - 105km (3 laps) (780m climbing) – 12:20 Start
    • A4 - 70km (2 laps) (520m climbing) – 12:25 Start
    • Women - 70km (2 laps) (520m climbing) – 12:30 Start
    Note: The Deenside Cup Women’s Race is Round 4 of The Women’s National League.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Good luck for the first edition of The Deenside Cup. Hope it goes well for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CB93

Here's an elevation map showing the Glenmagoo climb. Not long now!!

http://www.mesmeride.com/route_images/253

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Deenside_Cup20140402-2-1adaaui.png?1396456697

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

5.5km? Tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Great to see a race been advertised properly using modern media will all the info you need readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Just a wee bump, we're just under two weeks away from the first Deenside Cup! Nows your chance to try out the Glenmagoo climb from last year's Rás, sure its only 5.5km

Ok, someone has just brought an issue to our attention... apparently some details about the race on Sunday are inaccurate in the CI Yearbook (sign on time, HQ)... So, to clarify, and as per the first post in this thread...

Sign on is 10:30am - 12noon
    Sign on is at Race HQ, the Erin's Own GAA grounds, 2km from Castlecomer, on the Kilkenny City side... https://goo.gl/maps/31BQ5

Any other details you might require can be found on Deenside Wheelers website here...

See you Sunday, fingers crossed for sunshine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

There's a nice race preview here complete with a course recce:

http://womenscycling.ie/national-league-round-4-cat-laughs/

Should be useful for anyone planning to do the race. I'm loving Deenside's poster, if the planning so far is anything to go by we should be in for a great day on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

5fGukM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Really looking forward to this race now too. Fair play to all the Deenside Wheelers on the organisation so far. The route is great, just did a few laps of it over the weekend to check it out, the climb is nice and steady and its a nice fast, safe descent.

It will be interesting to see how much the bunch breaks up on the hill. Its long and draggy but pretty consistent for the most part – not that steep, so it may stick together the first one or two times up there... Hopefully a bit of sun will make an appearance. It's looking good!! http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Kilkenny/long.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CB93

With the cancellation of the Sam and Betty Darcy Memorial Races that were set for this weekend it looks like the Deenside Cup is your best option for a race in the south east this coming weekend.

We are full steam ahead here in Castlecomer and the final preparations are underway. Very exciting!!

It even looks like the weather will hold up for us: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

http://www.deensidewheelers.com/racing/deenside-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I've just watched a preview of tomorrow's (Saturday) Giro stage up the dreaded Monte Zoncolan. In my head that's how I'm imagining Glenmagoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done Deenside. What a great race. Good course and excellent marshalling. Obviously a lot of effort and hard work went in there and it showed.

If this is your first, I can't wait for the rest.

Met Couerdelion, Wirelessdude01 and De Bhal (who I definitely met before somewhere but I feckin' can't for the life of me think where). Great to meet you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've just watched a preview of tomorrow's (Saturday) Giro stage up the dreaded Monte Zoncolan. In my head that's how I'm imagining Glenmagoo.

Very well organised race. Well done Deenside.

Not much to report from A4 which was very sedate apart from an epic solo break by couerdelion. Enjoyed the climb both times but I was too far back in the pack to make it into the lead group the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Good clean race, great route, excellently marshalled, serious kudos to the organisers. Good grub at the finish.
    And of course, that hill was only lovely!!!:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Great race - serious marshalling - well done

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

Great race, Greg Swinnand took a solo victory from Damien shaw in the A1/A2 race, Four UCD men in the top 5 I think.

A1
    1ST Greg Swinand UCD by 4mins
    2nd Damien Shaw, by another minute, from..
    3rd Sean McKenna, UCD, who pipped ...
    John Mason, DID into 4th,...
    then Colm Cassidy, UCD was 5th,
    then 6th was Martin O'Loughlin, Iverk Carrick
    then 7th was Javan Nulty, DID, he pipped ...
    Andrew Stanley, Trinity into 8th
    9th Derek Cunningham, Bikeworks
    10th Craig Sweetman, Stamullen

Unplaced A2s:
    1st Ken Tobin, Swords
    2nd Ronan Killeen, Lucan
    3rd John Doris Epic mtb

A3 was a Bunch Sprint:
    First was junior rider, and Wexford Wheeler, Seamus Sinnott
    2nd Anthony Harpur, also Wexford
    3rd Brian Geary, Orwell
    4th John Hodge, Dungarvan
    5th Martin Caddow, St.Tiernans
    6th Shem Cullen, Iverk.
    Joint 7th (Comms couldn't separate them) Keith Finn, Laois and Karl Stafford, WRH.

Unplaced Vet: Gerry Byrne, Barrow Wheelers

Unplaced Junior: Dermot White, Lucan

A4 race was a Bunch Sprint:

1st Darragh Byrne, Bray
    2nd Graham Prendergast (?club)
    3rd Iwan Harmsen (?club)
    4th Joe Ryan of Marble City Cyclers
    5th Matt Burke, Lakeside
    6th Sean Moore, Barrow Wheelers...
    **(bit of a dispute over 7th, .... if the pleasant young blond man from Donnybrook Landscaping is on here, give a shout, please, thanks!)
    8th Michael Mullen, Longford.

• Advertisement

Sarah Piner, DID won

Amy Brice, Chain Reaction 2nd... and she holds onto the Joe Daly's - Women's National League Jersey
    3rd Michelle O'Halloran, Lakeside Wheelers
    4th Francine Meehan, Aquablue
    5th Ciara Kinch, Orwell
    6th Sonja O'Mahoney, Lakeside
    7th Aideen Keenan, Orwell
    8th Lisa Darley-Ronan, Towers CC

Sticky Bottle - First Junior Woman prize went to Rachel Kaye-Mellor of Orwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Great race, best organised I have seen in my relatively short career, well done to Deenside.

How did the A4 race finish? From my position slightly off the back over the top of final climb it looked like there were 2 groups ahead, 1 of about 8-10 odd and a larger one, about 50 yds further back, that I was trying to latch onto the back of consisting of slightly more, maybe 15-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Really well organised race from all the signage both during the race and coming into castlecomer to the bales, marshalling and refreshments. Plus all the other touches that made it one of if not the best race I've attended - chapeau to Deenside Wheelers.

Not a great race for me. I knew the hill was going to be tough but wasn't really prepared for it. First lap I was getting frustrated with the handy pace so I went up front and tried to get some pace going. Another lad from Cycleworx was willing to push it on but no one else would work with us and anytime we tried to jump they were happy to drag the bunch back onto our wheels. First time up Glenmagoo I slipped backwards at an alarming rate. Upthe19th gave me a shout to get onto his wheel and I was grateful for it. Managed to hold on and recover a bit and then pushed on up to the summit. Got stuck behind a lorry (drafted) going down and just before the left hander I got past it and was 35 seconds down on the group coming over the stat/finish. Managed to get a tow back and onto the group a few km later.

I sat on for a while to recover and then made my way back to the front. Tried jumping again a couple of times but nothing sticking so I drifted back to try a running jump at it. Hammered it from about 20th wheel past the group and jumped off the front. Managed to get a bit of room between me and the group and held a lead for 11km from just before the roundabout to Ballyraget. I knew I would be dropped again on the hill so my thinking was that if I upped the pace it would tire the sprinters and give the lads from my club a chance (it didn't). Held a nice wattage throughout and then sat up as we hit the hill and coasted in.

Good workout and great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Well done and a big thank you for an excellent race Deenside Wheelers. About 8 more joined the front 8 or so cresting the climb & on the descent. We contested the sprint with nobody else in sight. Good ride Richard, shame I couldn't place for us, I cramped up badly which didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Very good event and a huge credit to Deenside Wheelers , only spoiler for me today was the Orwell rider in the skinsuit trying to drop as much rubbish as possible around the Kilkenny countryside . If you're gonna wear a skinsuit eat the feckin wrapper as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bahra12

Well Done to Deenside Wheelers. That was probably the best organised race I have done to date. Good course aswell. The climb was a good one, the grade was very consistent. I think I was in the bunch behind the the first 15 that went over the line in the A4 race. Gave it loads when we turned right onto the finishing stretch after the descent - thought the finish was much closer than it was and gave it everything for about 2 mins before I realised the finish was way off. Ah well. Brilliant craic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

A3 was a Bunch Sprint:
    First was junior rider, and Wexford Wheeler, Seamus Sinnott
    2nd Anthony Harpur, also Wexford
    3rd Brian Geary, Orwell
    4th John Hodge, Dungarvan
    5th Martin Caddow, St.Tiernans
    6th Shem Cullen, Iverk.
    Joint 7th (Comms couldn't separate them) Keith Finn, Laois and Karl Stafford, WRH.

Unplaced Vet: Gerry Byrne, Barrow Wheelers

Unplaced Junior: Dermot White, Lucan
    Distance was over 100, do you have the placings 8-10?

Am only listing top 8 in A3 because we were only awarding prizes to top 8 (and an additional 2 prizes in the A3 race... unplaced Junior, unplaced Vet)... any awarding of points, and the noting of top 10 riders etc. is in the hands of the commissaires, and they submit their report to CI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

To echo the sentiments of others, hats off to the club. One of the best circuits I've had the ignominy to be dropped on- selective, good surfaces, good roads. My performance doesn't reflect the quality of the chosen route! Brilliantly marshaled, the club should be extremely proud, and other clubs should take note of how it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

fondriest wrote: »
    Very good event and a huge credit to Deenside Wheelers , only spoiler for me today was the Orwell rider in the skinsuit trying to drop as much rubbish as possible around the Kilkenny countryside . If you're gonna wear a skinsuit eat the feckin wrapper as well .

Where was he storing them. If he can store them he should be able to put them back in there? Bad form alright ditching wrappers. Hate seeing it.

Advertisement