Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Sega released another console would you buy it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It would be a bizarre move, considering how much of their catalogue they have now licensed to other platforms. Not forgetting without support from third party developers it would flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Always liked Sega. Had a mega-cd! Some good games. The dreamcast was my first exprience of online gaming too, so Il always be grateful for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

SEGA have some great studios, but it's all PC.

Now a SEGA branded steam box, with a few unique and different than the rest features (valve would probably allow it or be open to a deal).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

cloud493 wrote: »
    Valkyria was boring ****e, poor mix between real time strategy and RPG, phantasy was a poor MMO, house of the dead was a just above standard shooter, and yakuza was bad as well.

You sir have no taste. Good day to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Least they weren't as awful as shenmue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No
    House of the Dead had been constantly entertaining and, with the most recent iteration, completely reinvented.
    Having established the rules with the Virtua Cop games and followed by the also superb Confidential Mission and Ghost Squad.

It has to be acknowledged that Sega have been a very successful multi platform developer now for 14 years and it is simply not in their interest to take financial risk with a reentry into the hardware game, outside the arcade scene at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No
    I guess ntsc ones are ever rarer :eek:

Saturns, both NTSC and PAL, are simple to pick up and not rare at all.

You'll get one on ebay for about 40 euro.

Definitely go for it. Just remember to get an rgb scart cable too!

Would I buy a console, that I have no Info on, spec or even game list, but just on the bases of the "Sega" name.

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: ATARI JAGUAR

My thoughts exactly.

Serious brand loyalty, fan-boyism if people are answering yes on the basis of what happened 20 years ago.

I had a Megadrive, it was great at the time but that was a different period. It means nothing now, I wouldn't even want to play those games again as good as they were at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

No
    Since Sega own Atlus, and therefore their future catalogue would be exclusive to the (never-going-to-happen) console, I'd be first in line. And also annoyed that the Vita/3DS would take a massive hit in terms of future RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No
    One game sums up the dreamcast for me, Skies of Arcadia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Least they weren't as awful as shenmue.

Didn't get enough bites the first time you said it? :)

I'm just amazed such a poor game, blatantly poor game in fact, is still so revered. And how would a sequel even work, you've got a very niche market, if you wanted new people in you'd either have to fill in the back story somehow, or rerelease the first two games through PSN/xbox live. But then I think a lot of new people, like me, would be so turned off by them they wouldn't play a sequel. So there you go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No
    I'd buy a Dreamcast too actually,I really regret not getting one.

They're pretty cheap if you shop round. I paid more for some of the games then the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

No
    Possible launch titles

Virtua Fighter 6
    Sega Rally 4
    Virtua Cop 4

Hmm

I'm in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No
    All I'd need is MSR 2, none of your Project Gotham rubbish.
    I didn't like Shenmue either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

No
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All I'd need is MSR 2, none of your Project Gotham rubbish.
    I didn't like Shenmue either tbh.

But you don't see any redeeming features in Streets of Rage either so your opinion doesn't matter

;)

(I miss Bizarre Creations, quality studio)

No
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    But you don't see any redeeming features in Streets of Rage either so your opinion doesn't matter

;)

(I miss Bizarre Creations, quality studio)

Streets of Rage can go such an exhaust pipe.
    Blur was a sad epitaph to the company.
    It was a cross between GRID and Mario Kart and just didn't work for me.
    But MSR, utterly sublime, so many hours poured into that.

Sonic adventure 2 is one damn fine game on the dreamcast. There's a few naff bits in there, but the sonic/shadow levels are superb.

No
    Sonic adventure 2 is one damn fine game on the dreamcast. There's a few naff bits in there, but the sonic/shadow levels are superb.

Now I know you don't mean that!
    You'll be professing a love of Big the cat next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's never been less need for a Sega console. There's already perhaps too many devices capable of playing games - PCs, 5 still active consoles (for the next year or so at least), two major handhelds and mobile devices too. You could probably also count something like upcoming VR, Steam bordering on a format unto itself and the likes of Amazon aggressively building their gaming talent (they have Cliff Hocking!). What benefit is there in adding another device to the mix other than fragmenting an already busy market? I don't think Sega as a company has the imagination any more to own a unique spot the way they did during their peak, and plentiful competition is already keeping the hardware industry energisied.

As for the software... well, frankly, the company is at something of a creative nadir. Even their generally successful and likeable franchises aren't particularly exciting any more - something like Yakuza, despite trying to mix up the formula with setting changes, is one series content to stick with incremental annual 'upgrades', not dissimilar to Assassins Creed: the formula has barely changed since its inception many games ago, other than a couple of palette swaps. The less said about Sonic the better. Anyway, better for a major first party publisher to focus on providing new experiences and IPs rather than regurgitating an endless series of sequels, and Sega hasn't been on top of their game in that regard for a long time. Sega have published a few great games over the last few years, but even Platinum have departed for more welcoming shores. Their internally developed experimental and fresh games are few and far between. Atlus benefit creatively and commercially from the freedom of multiple hardware options. Above all, would any of Sega's franchises be considered a 'killer app' for a significant commercial market (remember: Shenmue isn't exactly a blockbuster seller :pac:), and what benefit is there in going that route rather than sticking with being a multi-format publisher? Very little indeed, for both the companies and the fans.

This is all incredibly hypothetical, of course, because to me there's something bordering on 'no chance in hell' of a new Sega console coming into existence. But even if somehow it did, in the current gaming landscape, I don't think it would be a particularly necessary development, placating little more than gamer nostalgia for times that should be allowed gracefully pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus, you ever tried replying without a wall of text? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Three short paragraphs is a wall of text?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks a lot worse on mobile phone, plus I have to admit this is a light weight for you this time. :pac:

Anyway, sorry for off topic.

No
    Three short paragraphs is a wall of text?

There.
    He did it there in one sentence.
    Proof he can do it when he wants too!

For all the naffness of the shooter levels/treasure hunting stuff in sonic adventure 2, the sonic and shadow levels really do shine. Not perfect, but certainly good, at least. Adventure 1 has that god awful hub structure, and big the cat so :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No
    Sonic Adventure is the best game ever made

No
    Sonic Adventure is the best game ever made

Reported for being both a troll and delusional, and wrong, probably wears Shadow the Hedgehog underpants as well.

...... I don't get the joke. You mean compared to something really bad, like too human?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Reported for being both a troll and delusional, and wrong, probably wears Shadow the Hedgehog underpants as well.

Lol

Advertisement