Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Sega released another console would you buy it?

Options
  • 02-05-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Well then...

If Sega released another console would you buy it?

I cant see them doing this btw so this is incredibly hypothetical but if it they did would you buy it?

It'd be a day one purchase for me.

If Sega released another console would you buy it? 87 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    59%
    RasTaGonzojhegartydre_jspeedCalhounUnearthlyghostchantVysefranmanCiDeRmAndor83Mitch ConnorJulezCravezjcrowbarstonecipherroastxtal191o1s1nzero19 52 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    40%
    Venomnesf[Deleted User]DublinstiofánTomCoswingkingBob the BuilderchrisladDuggy747Lone StoneGreyfox5uspectScumLordOafley JonesGran HermanoGonzovisionManchodreamers75VivGriseZero-Cool 35 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Won't happen, but i'd buy it. I loved the Dreamcast, so yeah, probably. I mean, how could you possibly not love this beauty :D

dreamcast_1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No
    Most likely; if they released it with some remakes of their old games for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

It would want to be one serious bit of gear with a serious amount of advertisement to sell. I loved my master system and mega drive, but that was a long time ago. There's alot of younger gamers after coming along since Sega stopped with consoles. Some of them not even knowing of Sega.

It would be a hard sell to compete with the Sony and Microsoft at this stage, but with competitive pricing and a good clean look, i'm sure alot of old schoolers would snap it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No
    Anyone with any sense of history of videogames would buy it in a heartbeat, Sega made some of the most amazing and iconic games, aside from Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, they were pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Maybe a new Game Gear

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone with any sense of history of videogames would buy it in a heartbeat, Sega made some of the most amazing and iconic games, aside from Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, they were pants.

Problem is what IPs do they have now? All you would get would be multiplatform titles that already exist and re-releases of old games.

I can't remember the last time Sega made a decent game in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nope. Dreamcast is overrated, Sega haven't done a good game in years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No
    Damn straight I would

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Would I buy a console, that I have no Info on, spec or even game list, but just on the bases of the "Sega" name.

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: ATARI JAGUAR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd have to find out what it is like first before saying I would buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No
    cloud493 wrote: »

Stay online,
    That way the UAV can get a decent lock on your location.
    And don't run.
    You'll only die tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    Yes Dreamcast was my favourite console.

Although thinking back most of the games I had(70+) were pirated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No

Valkyria chronicles , Phantasy Star online 2 , house of the dead overkill and Yakuza series says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No
    Sega were awesome, every time, you hate sega you got no soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

No
    Dreamcast was the first console I got (in 2003..), and it had some pretty unique stuff. I guess if there was a Sega alternative to PS4 and XBox1 that brought something new to the table, I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

No
    Valkyria chronicles , Phantasy Star online 2 , house of the dead overkill and Yakuza series says otherwise

haha yeah what Richymcderrmott said. I was trying for the past 10 mins to think of one and they just werent hitting me.

I wouldnt mind but I was playing house of the dead only last week! :o

Think I'll give it another go tonight with a few beers.

I think its incredibly unlikely to happen but I'd be first in line if it did.

Valkyria was boring ****e, poor mix between real time strategy and RPG, phantasy was a poor MMO, house of the dead was a just above standard shooter, and yakuza was bad as well. Don't even get me started on sonic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No
    Yeah, it would look well beside my Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast.

No
    haha yeah what Richymcderrmott said. I was trying for the past 10 mins to think of one and they just werent hitting me.

I wouldnt mind but I was playing house of the dead only last week! :o

Think I'll give it another go tonight with a few beers.

I think its incredibly unlikely to happen but I'd be first in line if it did.

lol that is just the small fish without mentioning Binary Domain, Valkyria Chronicles 2 , Sonic Generation , Sonic Colours , Virtua Fighter 5 and the Sonic and all star racing games which I all enjoyed immensely

Dl titles they done a great job releasing monster world series to psn and xbla , jet set radio hd, house of the dead 4, nights and remaking castle of castle of illusion and after burner.

with the acquirements of studios of atlus, creative assemble and relic entertainment sega own franchises as persona, shin megami tensei, total war and company of heroes. :L:L:L

No
    lol that is just the small fish without mentioning Binary Domain, Valkyria Chronicles 2 , Sonic Generation , Sonic Colours , Virtua Fighter 5 and the Sonic and all star racing games which I all enjoyed immensely

I havent played the Sonic Generation or Colours games. I will get around to it though as I hear they're the best Sonics of recent times. I'm interested in Lost World as well for Wii U but not at full price so it can wait for now.

Please dont judge me but I was always a Tekken man myself rather than Virtua Fighter. I'll give VF5 another go though. I got it cheap and never really played it. I have it at home somewhere.

Sonic all star racing transformed was fantastic imo. I'd liken it more to Diddy Kong Racing than Mario Kart which isnt a bad thing. Its fast paced, its feels fair, its just a damn good kart game. I have it on Vita and 360. If I see it cheap on Wii U I'll probably get it for that as well. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No
    I'd love to get my hands on a Saturn and dreamcast,I had an opportunity to buy a Saturn a few years ago and I didn't and I regret it so much.

Atari Jaguar

Dl titles they done a great job releasing monster world series to psn and xbla , jet set radio hd, house of the dead 4, nights and remaking castle of castle of illusion and after burner.

with the acquirements of studios of atlus, creative assemble and relic entertainment sega own franchises as persona, shin megami tensei, total war and company of heroes. :L:L:L

Binary Domain I agree was good, the rest you may have enjoyed but they were average at best, nothing on a triple A level.

No
    I'd love to get my hands on a Saturn and dreamcast,I had an opportunity to buy a Saturn a few years ago and I didn't and I regret it so much.

I was looking for Saturns the other night online. They dont seem to be that easy to come across.

That said I only knew two lads with them and they both were kinda dodgy.

No
    Valkyria was boring ****e, poor mix between real time strategy and RPG, phantasy was a poor MMO, house of the dead was a just above standard shooter, and yakuza was bad as well. Don't even get me started on sonic :pac:

hFgR0m-9FmM.jpg?itok=e3zPkVz4

Saying Valkyria Chronicles is boring ****e : Thats a paddlin
    Phantasy star a poor MMO: Thats a Paddlin
    Yakuza games are Bad aswell ?: Ohh you Better Believe thats a paddlin

The only thing worse is those awful, overrated shenmue games.

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Problem is what IPs do they have now? All you would get would be multiplatform titles that already exist and re-releases of old games.

I can't remember the last time Sega made a decent game in the last 10 years.

Thing is, they've released lots of great games, or at least published them.
    From Vanquish to the Yakuza series, you've got some of the best and most interesting series, currently published as multiformat titles but, with a new Sega console, they'd certainly become exclusives.
    And believe me when I say there'd be more than enough content before the likes of Sonic would be remade.

No
    I was looking for Saturns the other night online. They dont seem to be that easy to come across.

That said I only knew two lads with them and they both were kinda dodgy.

I guess ntsc ones are ever rarer :eek:

No
    The only thing worse is those awful, overrated shenmue games.

objection__by_sonicspeedz-d5zkgjp.png

Atari Jaguar
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thing is, they've released lots of great games, or at least published them.
    From Vanquish to the Yakuza series, you've got some of the best and most interesting series, currently published as multiformat titles but, with a new Sega console, they'd certainly become exclusives.
    And believe me when I say there'd be more than enough content before the likes of Sonic would be remade.

I agree Vanquish was an original title that I enjoyed that mixed up the genre. It was a good game nothing spectacular. Yakuza 3 was enjoyable but the series got repetitive. You either love the long cut scenes or you hate them. I can't comment on anything past 3 as I have not played them.
    Gaming has moved on from Sonic, yes there may be a few decent titles but they just are not that popular anymore for the majority.

But to the OPs post this is not enough for justification for a SEGA console, it wouldn't sell or be able to compete in the market as it stands, and doesn't have enough of titles to sustain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only if Shenmue 3 was released with it.

Advertisement