Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Alarm monitoring question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Just thought id add to this that phonewatch pir cams have a shutter over them they only open if the alarm is set off and 35 euro is pretty good imo as it covers parts for life and free callouts nd servicing, bellboxes are crap they are ignored and the gardai dont respond to them unless they no there is someone in the house

If you are paying €35 per month, can you please point out what is free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nigelpenman

If you want a good syst youll pay the money if you want a crap system you wont, you think people give a crap about a bellbox they dont they hide and wait for 10 mins and when no one comes they go in anyway, i am new to ireland so i dont know about phonewatchs past and tbh im aware its a new company now so i dont care either but spending 150 per year on a system that texts you if your house is getting broken into is great but still completely useless as by the time you get home they are gone, i have the new pack and its good 35 euro that covers monitored fire and house alarm with unlimited callouts plus repairs and battery replacements inc in that price beats having a crap alarm thats 150 a year plus 80 for a call out and 80 for every new part that needs to be replaced i understand 35 euro can be kind of steep but im happy to pay it when i live near a train track in limerick where break ins happen like rainy days

If you want a good syst youll pay the money if you want a crap system you wont, you think people give a crap about a bellbox they dont they hide and wait for 10 mins and when no one comes they go in anyway, i am new to ireland so i dont know about phonewatchs past and tbh im aware its a new company now so i dont care either but spending 150 per year on a system that texts you if your house is getting broken into is great but still completely useless as by the time you get home they are gone, i have the new pack and its good 35 euro that covers monitored fire and house alarm with unlimited callouts plus repairs and battery replacements inc in that price beats having a crap alarm thats 150 a year plus 80 for a call out and 80 for every new part that needs to be replaced i understand 35 euro can be kind of steep but im happy to pay it when i live near a train track in limerick where break ins happen like rainy days

So you don't get anything off them for free. Its good you acknowledge that.

How many call outs and repairs are you expecting with the system that you feel you need to pay for this extra cover? €35 a Month, €420 a year. That is on top of the alarm you have already bought. In 10 years that is €4200, You would get a good few alarm systems for that money.. Still sound like good value?
    If you decide in a years time I don't want the system monitored, can you tell me what P.W. will charge you for a call out, plus replacement parts?
    An outside bell is a must for any system, they are now set to turn off after a set time. Not like the older systems that will ring till the system is disarmed.
    If you don't have the monitoring, do you think a outside bell would be a good idea to alert people of your alarm activating?
    The system P.W. use uses a GPRS to contact the monitoring station. This device is not polled and a Jammer can easily block any signals getting out to them in the event of an alarm activation. Have they explained all this to you?
    The pictures from the system are also delayed by 5 minutes to allow an end user turn off the system in the event of a false alarm. This is also the case for an intruder. Did they explain all this to you?
    There system also uses PIR detection, meaning an intruder is already in your home before any alarm will activate.
    If you have a system installed that texts you then you should not be paying any fees other than the cost of the call or text if the alarm activates. I don't know where you are pricing this from, perhaps you could give us more information about this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

@nigelpenman
    You really should do your research before posting. I would also suggest you read more into PW T&C s if you think you are getting good value with service calls and replacement parts.
    I agree central station monitoring is better than self monitoring, but you can get this benefit from any licenced installer not just PW.
    Also a working bell on a system is more secure as it's harder to silence the system in quickly.
    Another point is with PiRs your alarm is not going to activate untill an intruder has already gained entry. Most good systems are designed to detect them before they get in and the damage is done.
    On the PiR cameras there is no way to know how accessible those images may be. But even on an alarm activation in the middle of the night do you want controllers looking at you or anyone in your family running around half dressed in a state of confusion.?
    Likewise there are more secure methods of monitoring than GSM polling once a day etc.
    If you want the best system you will pay for it and for the prices you are quoting you could get a much better system. Shop around and do some research. A little knowledge is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

KoolKid wrote: »
    @nigelpenman
    You really should do your research before posting. I would also suggest you read more into PW T&C s if you think you are getting good value with service calls and replacement parts.
    I agree central station monitoring is better than self monitoring, but you can get this benefit from any licenced installer not just PW.
    Also a working bell on a system is more secure as it's harder to silence the system in quickly.
    Another point is with PiRs your alarm is not going to activate untill an intruder has already gained entry. Most good systems are designed to detect them before they get in and the damage is done.
    On the PiR cameras there is no way to know how accessible those images may be. But even on an alarm activation in the middle of the night do you want controllers looking at you or anyone in your family running around half dressed in a state of confusion.?
    Likewise there are more secure methods of monitoring than GSM polling once a day etc.
    If you want the best system you will pay for it and for the prices you are quoting you could get a much better system. Shop around and do some research. A little knowledge is a great thing.
    altor wrote: »
    So you don't get anything off them for free. Its good you acknowledge that.

How many call outs and repairs are you expecting with the system that you feel you need to pay for this extra cover? €35 a Month, €420 a year. That is on top of the alarm you have already bought. In 10 years that is €4200, You would get a good few alarm systems for that money.. Still sound like good value?
    If you decide in a years time I don't want the system monitored, can you tell me what P.W. will charge you for a call out, plus replacement parts?
    An outside bell is a must for any system, they are now set to turn off after a set time. Not like the older systems that will ring till the system is disarmed.
    If you don't have the monitoring, do you think a outside bell would be a good idea to alert people of your alarm activating?
    The system P.W. use uses a GPRS to contact the monitoring station. This device is not polled and a Jammer can easily block any signals getting out to them in the event of an alarm activation. Have they explained all this to you?
    The pictures from the system are also delayed by 5 minutes to allow an end user turn off the system in the event of a false alarm. This is also the case for an intruder. Did they explain all this to you?
    There system also uses PIR detection, meaning an intruder is already in your home before any alarm will activate.
    If you have a system installed that texts you then you should not be paying any fees other than the cost of the call or text if the alarm activates. I don't know where you are pricing this from, perhaps you could give us more information about this?

Fair enough, I've been looking for a decent wireless alarm system for a usual 3 bed semi detached, 2 doors (front and back) and 8 windows....I didn't make any phone calls I just looked at different websites, can you please point me to a good well known company that can provide me with a wireless monitored alarm system for more or less the same price as PW? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As I said, any licenced company can offer you this service. Shop around.
    The main thing is to look at the bigger picture. While the initial install covering perimeter will be a little dearer,you will save on cheaper monitoring & have the benefit of better protection. Also look for a system with apps where you are not tied to the monitoring company or the manufacturer to connect to your alarm or have self monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

alwald wrote: »
    Fair enough, I've been looking for a decent wireless alarm system for a usual 3 bed semi detached, 2 doors (front and back) and 8 windows....I didn't make any phone calls I just looked at different websites, can you please point me to a good well known company that can provide me with a wireless monitored alarm system for more or less the same price as PW? thanks.

I'd be shocked if you can't get a better system for a lot ess money than PW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

lgk wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if you can't get a better system for a lot ess money than PW!!

Well I got another quote for a hybrid HKC system made of wired and wireless sensors, monitoring for 12 months, labor and parts for 24 months, all for 1200 quid, it sounds bit expensive to me, what do you all think?

With perimeter devices the initial system will be dearer but central station monitoring will be cheaper. Also be aware with HKC you will be tied to a subscription to them if you want self monitoring via IP and the use of their app.
    You will also have to pay for every app you wish to download.
    If you are looking for a system like this I would advise you also look at Siemens, Risco and GSD who all provide free IP connection via free apps with free notifications etc. Over the lifetime of any alarm system these apps and subscriptions will add up to a he'll of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

On top of what KoolKid said, be sure you're comparing like with like. Make sure any system specified protects the areas you want protected. It's preferable to protect external doors/windows and have the alarm trigger as someone tries to break in rather than rely on internal motion sensors as PW seem to prefer which only trigger once the intruder is in the house.

Also make sure it's arranged in logical zones that you can arm as suits you. For example, in my system, I can have my shed armed all day unless I want to go out there, then at night I can have the downstairs and the shed armed. The wireless sensors can be expensive, and will push the initial price up, for factor in a few year's monitoring costs before making a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

lgk wrote: »
    On top of what KoolKid said, be sure you're comparing like with like. Make sure any system specified protects the areas you want protected. It's preferable to protect external doors/windows and have the alarm trigger as someone tries to break in rather than rely on internal motion sensors as PW seem to prefer which only trigger once the intruder is in the house.

Also make sure it's arranged in logical zones that you can arm as suits you. For example, in my system, I can have my shed armed all day unless I want to go out there, then at night I can have the downstairs and the shed armed. The wireless sensors can be expensive, and will push the initial price up, for factor in a few year's monitoring costs before making a decision.

Great explanation, just to add to that. The equipment which PW use is closed protocol. Meaning that once their system is installed you are stuck with them as no other monitoring station is compatible with the signals their equipment transmits.
    It's a bit like buying a car that only one garage can work on, service and get parts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Johnny71

Hi,I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have my Phonewatch alarm programmed so I can monitor it myself instead of paying them35.00 p/m,any advice would be appreciated.

Johnny71 wrote: »
    Hi,I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have my Phonewatch alarm programmed so I can monitor it myself instead of paying them35.00 p/m,any advice would be appreciated.

How long is your system installed and is it one of those systems with the cameras?

Do you know what system you have installed?

altor wrote: »
    Do you know what system you have installed?

Hi Altor, I am guessing it's one of the new ones ?

kub wrote: »
    Hi Altor, I am guessing it's one of the new ones ?

Sorry never noticed your reply kub.
    Anyone got an engineer manual off this new system?

Hi,thanks for the replies,I have the alarm about 10 years ,not sure what model,I also had to have a gsm box installed as I'm using upc.

Hi,thanks for the replies,I have the alarm about 10 years ,not sure what model,I also had to have a gsm box installed as I'm using upc.

Thanks OP, the good news is there Is hope for you.
    Is either of the following labels on your panel or paperwork?
    GE or Simon?

Hi, thanks for your reply,I have looked at the alarm and I can't see any sign of ge or Simon.

Hi, thanks for your reply,I have looked at the alarm and I can't see any sign of ge or Simon.

Can you post up a picture of it?

• Advertisement

I can't send photos as I've only just signed up,sorry for not helping. I'll ring them tomorrow and ask what model alarm I have and will post tomorrow.thanks again

Hi,I was told it is a Simon panel,hope that helps

Hi again, it's a GE Simon 3 model

Hi again, it's a GE Simon 3 model

Sent you a P.M. re the code you need to set this up.

Advertisement