Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Alarm monitoring question

Options
  • 29-04-2014 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if someone could help. Got a quote from phonewatch for a new install alarm, a wireless, picture sending job. Install quote was 574 euro on a three year contract, or 774 euro on a 1 year. I have no problem with that price, however the monthly monitoring cost is 37.50 per month :eek: which I do find very high. (they charge you extra for extra contacts for some bizarre reason)

Can I get the alarm and after a year change to a different monitoring company? I hear that they try charge you a fortune to cancel your monitoring but seems you chaps have ways around this.

Some advice needed, I want a monitored alarm recommendation welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With that new system you wont find anyone else to monitor it or go near it.
    Those monitoring fees are well above the average.
    I am not a fan of internal protection only as someone is in your home before the alarm even activates. My idea of an alarm is to get rid of them while they are still trying to get in. I am also not a fan of cameras inside your home that are viewable by a monitoring station but yet you have no access to them.
    I would recommend shopping around & getting a few quotes. Like for like you will get a better system with perimeter protection for less money. You will also get better value monitoring without being tied into lengthy contracts.
    Another must is a live external bell & a comms line that is more secure than GSM.
    Do some research before rushing into anything, believe me you will find it very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I believe they're charging an extra €2.50 per month for every extra device needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

OP, us installers on here are professionals and know our trade well. I for one have 23 years experience in this business.

I would not advise anyone to get a phonewatch system, KoolKid has pointed out as above some reasons. They are now a Norwegian company now in the business of trying to get the money back for what ever it was they paid Eircom for this business.

The likes of KoolKid and I have to design and install systems professionally, I would love to be able to do what it is that they do. We are obliged by the EN50131 standard to do a Risk Assessment of a house or business with the potential client and then complete a System Design Proposal. How they do this is a mystery to me. Seems to me that they tell you what is adequate.

Please get at least 3 quotes from local installers, we all fit top of the range wireless stuff now, also there are dozens of alarm monitoring stations in this country which monitor alarm systems at much cheaper rates than phonewatch.

Also a black dummy alarm box at the front of your house......yeach.

All you have to do is look at the other threads here and just see how many posters are looking for advice of how to get away for the expensive monitoring charges that Phonewatch charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Would it be possible to get reccomendation off you guys, PM me. I dont mind if you shill yourself, I find that those that take the time to post on boards are usually honest enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

Hi guys, wondering if someone could help. Got a quote from phonewatch for a new install alarm, a wireless, picture sending job. Install quote was 574 euro on a three year contract, or 774 euro on a 1 year. I have no problem with that price, however the monthly monitoring cost is 37.50 per month :eek: which I do find very high. (they charge you extra for extra contacts for some bizarre reason)

Can I get the alarm and after a year change to a different monitoring company? I hear that they try charge you a fortune to cancel your monitoring but seems you chaps have ways around this.

Some advice needed, I want a monitored alarm recommendation welcomed.

Thanks

<snip>monitoring should be no more than €150 + vat per annum , that seems the average .

and <snip>

Mod edit : Unless you can prove that claim with evidence please don't post it.

• Advertisement

grip n rip wrote: »
    <snip>monitoring should be no more than €150 + vat per annum , that seems the average .

and <snip>

Mod edit : Unless you can prove that claim with evidence please don't post it.

Just ring around , use top security in Cork , they charge €150 + vat per annum for domestic alarm monitoring

So the Guards wont come out unless a key holder is present. The guards will black list the house with one false alarm. Monitoring companies just contact key-holders, they dont call out themselves. So what is the point in monitoring over a system that can SMS the keyholders in turn?

So the Guards wont come out unless a key holder is present. The guards will black list the house with one false alarm. Monitoring companies just contact key-holders, they dont call out themselves. So what is the point in monitoring over a system that can SMS the keyholders in turn?

The monitoring station calls keyholders & gardaí , the gardaí send the premises owner a letter after 3 false alarms advising them to get alarm serviced & repaired . Its worth it in my opinion to have alarm monitored because these days most people ignore a ringing alarm , its a matter of opinion i guess .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So what is the point in monitoring over a system that can SMS the keyholders in turn?

For me its Garda response in the event of a PA.

Press panic alarm or dial 999 what's the difference except maybe 2 seconds.

• Advertisement

How do you do that if someone has a knife or a gun to you demanding you turn off the alarm ?

Why throw up a comment like that especially when you do not know what you are talking about?

Sorry this is a security system which we are talking about, convenience and security are not exactly compatible especially in this circumstance. You miss a text from a buddy saying high, you notice it 20 mins later.......so what, now consider it if that was a text from your house alarm system after some low life has broken in.

Most people put family & 2 or 3 friends in for text alerts, right?
    Before you decide who to use, randomly text all those people in the middle of the night & see how many reply.
    After that, imagine you have your panic situation between 9pm and 12 on new years eve. Send your text and see what happens with it.:eek:

And of course landline texting to the '3' network just does not work, who is to know if other mobile networks might decide to stop landlines texting on their networks?

YIPEE just noticed I have 2,000 posts..........haven't i a sad life?

kub wrote: »
    And of course landline texting to the '3' network just does not work, who is to know if other mobile networks might decide to stop landlines texting on their networks?

YIPEE just noticed I have 2,000 posts..........haven't i a sad life?

Also smart telecom (landlines) don't support text .

Also smart telecom (landlines) don't support text .
    Are they still around??:rolleyes:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are they still around??:rolleyes:

Sadly yes in munster anyway , pain in the arse when you forget to ask customer who provides the landline :(

Sadly yes in munster anyway , pain in the arse when you forget to ask customer who provides the landline :(

Although they recently changed their name

:D And there is you with your 8/12.......sorry i couldn't resist ;)

:D And there is you with your 8/12.......sorry i couldn't resist ;)

Haha !! Last time it was a Quantum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Haha !! Last time it was a Quantum :)

At lease with the Quantum you have a choice of voice or text. Most systems are limited to text no matter of the service provider.

To be black listed you need 3 false alarms that the Guards have attended.
    My own take and view on monitored alarms is it is need for emergency response be that fire, emergency or a panic alert. A friend ringing the guards will not get you the same response as a monitoring station. The guards have more obligation to respond to a system installed that is monitored to todays standards than you ringing to say my alarm has activate. A monitored alarm will always receive a response. A self monitored alarm will not.

altor wrote: »
    To be black listed you need 3 false alarms that the Guards have attended.
    My own take and view on monitored alarms is it is need for emergency response be that fire, emergency or a panic alert. A friend ringing the guards will not get you the same response as a monitoring station. The guards have more obligation to respond to a system installed that is monitored to todays standards than you ringing to say my alarm has activate. A monitored alarm will always receive a response. A self monitored alarm will not.

Although the term blacklisted is a bit strong, a letter from an installer to the area Superintendent will get Garda response back, either way for it to be lost in the first instance is the clients fault as they should be notifying their alarm company of any false alarms etc.

Those that think ringing the Gardai will get them a response just because they got a text to their phone are disillusioned.

There is a system in place between licensed installers, licensed monitoring stations, The Gardai and the end user. This system is recognised and works very effectively. It is probably why many of us installers are so bogged down in paperwork, but it gets the necessary response.

In my book, people who are serious about their home/work security have their systems professionally monitored. In my own opinion those that go for the text option wouldn't be bothered paying for monitoring either way even if the text option was not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

The monitoring station calls keyholders & gardaí , the gardaí send the premises owner a letter after 3 false alarms advising them to get alarm serviced & repaired . Its worth it in my opinion to have alarm monitored because these days most people ignore a ringing alarm , its a matter of opinion i guess .
    We've had more than a few too many false alarms (mainly caused by my dad or someone else, not the system being faulty) and the guards have always arrived. They've never complained and we never got any letters.

Fire Brigade on one occasion, too!

I think PhoneWatch are great, but their prices are crazy when you see how cheap other companies are.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    Before you decide who to use, randomly text all those people in the middle of the night & see how many reply.
    After that, imagine you have your panic situation between 9pm and 12 on new years eve. Send your text and see what happens with it.
    That's when the Fire Brigade landed at my parent's house. (6am though)

Although the term blacklisted is a bit strong, a letter from an installer to the area Superintendent will get Garda response back, either way for it to be lost in the first instance is the clients fault as they should be notifying their alarm company of any false alarms etc.

Those that think ringing the Gardai will get them a response just because they got a text to their phone are disillusioned.

There is a system in place between licensed installers, licensed monitoring stations, The Gardai and the end user. This system is recognised and works very effectively. It is probably why many of us installers are so bogged down in paperwork, but it gets the necessary response.

In my book, people who are serious about their home/work security have their systems professionally monitored. In my own opinion those that go for the text option wouldn't be bothered with monitoring if the text option was not there.

Self monitoring or your alarm is ok but if you want a response from a monitored point of view then you will need a monitored alarm. There are many people who think a self monitored alarm will serve as the same thing but as we know it is never the same thing. I know from installing many systems that peoples preference is for self monitored systems but the added advantage of having a system monitored by external monitoring will always be well worth the extra expense. I for one have a monitored system, some people may say its a waste of money but if I ever had to use an emergency service the response is there and would be worth more than money I can spend. A self monitored system will never be afforded the same response as a monitored system.

Why throw up a comment like that especially when you do not know what you are talking about?

In order to stimulate debate, its seems to have worked well.
    Sorry this is a security system which we are talking about, convenience and security are not exactly compatible especially in this circumstance. You miss a text from a buddy saying high, you notice it 20 mins later.......so what, now consider it if that was a text from your house alarm system after some low life has broken in.

These are the same people that would be keyholders and need to turn up before the guards will. I have had some lowlife break into my house while I was in it, my current monitored alarm did not effect the outcome.

In order to stimulate debate, its seems to have worked well.

These are the same people that would be keyholders and need to turn up before the guards will. I have had some lowlife break into my house while I was in it, my current monitored alarm did not effect the outcome.

Was your system switched on? Does your system have verification technology? Did your monitoring company text your key holders?
    In general if you are looking for someone urgently do you ring them or text them?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

anyone know what kind of security is attached to the pir camera images that get sent when tripped? privacy policy states they are held locally for a period of time before destroyed. but can they be hijacked on the way there. no too hot on a monitoring company having a eye into my home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

anyone know what kind of security is attached to the pir camera images that get sent when tripped? privacy policy states they are held locally for a period of time before destroyed. but can they be hijacked on the way there. no too hot on a monitoring company having a eye into my home

Have a read around this forum about PW. Hijacking your images should be the least of your worries if you have one of their systems installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Nigelpenman

Just thought id add to this that phonewatch pir cams have a shutter over them they only open if the alarm is set off and 35 euro is pretty good imo as it covers parts for life and free callouts nd servicing, bellboxes are crap they are ignored and the gardai dont respond to them unless they no there is someone in the house

Advertisement