Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence against women in the series. Thoughts (Show spoilers) MOD NOTE post #1

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

snausages wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if reproduction is involved or not, incest always carries the risk of conception and dreadful birth deformities/shallowing of the DNA pool. That's reason enough for it to be abhorred.

Actually apparently the risk for genetic abnormalities is not as high as you'd think and considering so many people with known genetic problems in the family line or older people for whom the risk is higher already do procreate,it's probably not much more irresponsible than a lot of procreation out there.

It's been totally acceptable in many successful civilisations, Cleopatra married her brother, Ancient Greek and roman societies were tolerant of it. It's cultural determined whether or not it's tolerated.

As far as incest goes I'm inclined to be a lot more tolerant of sibling incest than other kinds (probably because I see siblings as more equal in a relationship than parent/child even if it's an adult child) as long as it's consenting adults I don't really care what other people get up to in the bedroom. Here or in Westeros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Actually apparently the risk for genetic abnormalities is not as high as you'd think and considering so many people with known genetic problems in the family line or older people for whom the risk is higher already do procreate,it's probably not much more irresponsible than a lot of procreation out there.

It's been totally acceptable in many successful civilisations, Cleopatra married her brother, Ancient Greek and roman societies were tolerant of it. It's cultural determined whether or not it's tolerated.

As far as incest goes I'm inclined to be a lot more tolerant of sibling incest than other kinds (probably because I see siblings as more equal in a relationship than parent/child even if it's an adult child) as long as it's consenting adults I don't really care what other people get up to in the bedroom. Here or in Westeros!
    Roman society wasn't tolerant of sibling incest. Off the top of my head, Clodius and Caligula attracted fairly severe approbium and scandal in their lifetime because of rumours of same.

They didn't view matrilineal relatives as blood related though, so you could marry your cousins on your mothers side just fine, but not those on your fathers side. Ditto with nieces and nephews. Emperor Claudius changed the law to allow his marriage to his brothers daughter afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Roman society wasn't tolerant of sibling incest. Off the top of my head, Clodius and Caligula attracted fairly severe approbium and scandal in their lifetime because of rumours of same.

They didn't view matrilineal relatives as blood related though, so you could marry your cousins on your mothers side just fine, but not those on your fathers side. Ditto with nieces and nephews. Emperor Claudius changed the law to allow his marriage to his brothers daughter afair.

Perhaps I was thinking of the Greeks then. The point really being, its a cultural construct whether or not society tolerates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Rape is present because rape isn't about sex, it's about power.

A Song of Ice and Fire is about power.

Power lies where men believe it lies.

Advertisement