Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water to be shut off each night from 8pm to 6.30am

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I'll have to ask the "handyman" from our building. Maybe its something with the Seabourne.
    Maybe? If anything the water is too soft and I know in my estate the copper cylinders and water tanks in the attic failed over the years through electrolytic corrosion. I've been here since 1987 and never had to de-scale a kettle or iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

loyatemu wrote: »
    we're going to be paying per litre - every day the water is off we're saving money ;)

Will there not also be a standing charge? And, if our experience with the ESB / Electric Ireland, Bord Gas is anything to go by, the only way standing charges will go is Up! So, before they go looking for our hard earned dosh, one would think they'd make the service for which they are responsible, fit for purpose, available as advertised and reliable! P

After enduring 8 weeks of minimal or no water last summer, 10 days ago it all began again. Even when our water is supposedly on ie not during restricted hours this is the best we are getting, 40 seconds to fill a pint glass.

Link doesn't seem to embed but

http://youtu.be/SD73Io86u8w

No washing, showering etc can be done at all.
    It is an utter disgrace given the junkets and corruption that have come to light regarding Wicklow county council and taxpayer's money. I have no problem paying for a consistent supply of quality water but I will not be paying any charges till improvements are in place. This country is a disgrace. I dare any election candidates to canvas my door.

Hear, hear! It's ridiculous that in a country with our rainfall we endure water supply [sic] services of this nature.

When I lived in South Africa, for years, I never once experienced water restrictions such as we have here and every house in our area had sprinkler systems in their gardens, that watered them early in the morning.

It's incredible that we can't even be competent in managing one of the resources that is most plentiful on this island!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Yeah, I noticed the water pressure's all over the place and tap water is rather cloudy as it comes out, is this because of the algae bloom at Vartry?

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

The cloudy water is just air bubbles let it settle and it will clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The cloudy water is just air bubbles let it settle and it will clear.

Best do a two-part pour for a proper pint.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Firstly..not so much as a cent will they get from me..for the troika? dream on..second .they rolled out this algae horse s $&t last year but twas only around kilpeddar so nobody really heard about it..lastly.is dublin affected? And why are they getting water from wicklow and we are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

fat-tony wrote: »
    Maybe? If anything the water is too soft and I know in my estate the copper cylinders and water tanks in the attic failed over the years through electrolytic corrosion. I've been here since 1987 and never had to de-scale a kettle or iron.

Born in '87 and been drinking the water ever since...it's graaaaaand!
    =)

Maudi wrote: »
    Firstly..not so much as a cent will they get from me..for the troika? dream on..second .they rolled out this algae horse s $&t last year but twas only around kilpeddar so nobody really heard about it..lastly.is dublin affected? And why are they getting water from wicklow and we are not?

If they knew about it last year, why o WHY have they not done something about it !?!?! Puts paid to earlier poster's statement that because this is rare it's not worth their while investing to address the issue or our getting exercised about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

The situation is very similar to water from Wales supplying parts of central UK. When there are water shortages and hosepipe bans etc, it is the residents of Wales that suffer the worst restrictions.

I presume that if Dublin were suffering the water shortages that North Wicklow was, there would be media coverage and canvassing for the elections would be a very unpleasant experience for euro wannabes.

"There is a tanker in Kilpeddar or Delgany" line doesnt really work for those of us who actually do a day's work, pay our taxes and expect our elected representatives to stand up for their constituents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Maudi wrote: »

Nothing to do with the troika anymore. These charges are to fatten another quango, led by a man who also led the failed Poolbeg incinerator project,
    costing us millions. Also interesting to see who has the contract(s) for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

AFAIK water in Dublin comes from both Roundwood and Blessington, with intermediate reservoirs at Stillorgan and elsewhere. As Blessington and the local reservoirs aren't affected by the algae, the Dublin water supply is ok.

(FWIW I don't agree with this "hands off our water" rhetoric occasionally invoked by Wicklow councillors - last I checked we're all part of the same country, the city has to get its water from somewhere and plenty of Wicklow people work in Dublin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

loyatemu wrote: »

(FWIW I don't agree with this "hands off our water" rhetoric occasionally invoked by Wicklow councillors - last I checked we're all part of the same country, the city has to get its water from somewhere and plenty of Wicklow people work in Dublin.)

I agree. I feel the same applies to any future projects taking water from the Shannon to service other areas including the Capital. Water is a not a regional resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm glad the Irish Times is reporting on this and knocking the conspiracy crap on the head

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/algal-bloom-hits-water-supplies-from-vartry-reservoir-1.1777973#.U2PSkCHLCuc.facebook

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

last I checked we're all part of the same country, the city has to get its water from somewhere and plenty of Wicklow people work in Dublin.)

We are all part of the same country, but it seems it's ok for some of us to go without basic water facilities for extended periods. So in effect water is regional because some regions have consistent supply and others don't.
    Well perhaps Dublin could lose what it gets from Wicklow while this problem continues and use supplies from it's other sources, possibly leaving more for the rest of us here in Wicklow. Or are you saying Dublin is more entitled to better pressure and supply?

I'm glad the Irish Times is reporting on this and knocking the conspiracy crap on the head

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/algal-bloom-hits-water-supplies-from-vartry-reservoir-1.1777973#.U2PSkCHLCuc.facebook

What "conspiracy" crap was that?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

What "conspiracy" crap was that?

Did you bother to read the whole thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

I came in from a few pints last night and realized this when going to bed. Bloody nightmare! I now know how Laurence of Arabia felt. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

sorry just on water colour....this morning i went to drink a glass of water from the tap and it was REALLY white and cloudy. is it still okay to drink?

An algal bloom has affected the Vartry water-treatment plant at Roundwood, Co Wicklow, resulting in supply being cut off or reduced overnight to a wide area of northeast Wicklow.

That's not reporting, that's regurgitation of statements from county councils and Irish Water. If they talked to people affected, the truth is that we have had no water for 6 days now and such reduced pressure prior to that, that it might as well be none. That's not being reported by anyone. There is nothing coming out of our tap, nothing, zero. Now you tell me I should understand that Dublin needs to get its supply from somewhere and if I work in Dublin I need to be even more understanding but you clearly can go to your tap and fill a glass of water, or flush your toilet, shower or use your washing machine or perhaps you might have a different view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

eleMental wrote: »
    sorry just on water colour....this morning i went to drink a glass of water from the tap and it was REALLY white and cloudy. is it still okay to drink?

I spoke to a council guy this morning about the "white"water he explained its just tiny bubbles. .to do with the returning pressure and in fairness it does "clear "fairly quickly. .however because of the unregulated flouride thats added I wouldnt ever drink water from the tap..neither would most of my friends..some wont even use it for tea making..bottled all the way..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think this thread has run its course.
    It's been interesting :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unlocking thread.
    No more off topic posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Im in the Park and our water pressure is still really low 24/7. Is anyone else experiencing this? The council were working on the underground pipes outside our apartment last week so maybe its something to do with that??

Advertisement