Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water to be shut off each night from 8pm to 6.30am

Options
  • 28-04-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Here is a notice on Wicklow County Council website:
    Water production at the Vartry water treatment works at Roundwood has reduced due to seasonal impacts of algae in the source water. Irish Water and Wicklow County Council are working together to restore supply. The algae occur naturally in clean fresh waters and though it does not pose a health risk, it slows the treatment processes at the production plant.

As a result, the water supplies to northeast Co. Wicklow are badly affected including the reservoir serving Enniskerry. As a result, the following areas in the Enniskerry area are without water: - Kilmolin, Kilgarron, Parknasilogue, Eagle Valley, Enniskerry Village, Knocksink, Ballyman Road, Monastery Area, Eagle Valley, R117 Road, and Millfield. Tankers will be in place at The Bog Meadow in Enniskerry village and Kilgarron housing estate, Enniskerry. In order to conserve water in the Greystones area, the supplies from the Drummin, Delgany reservoir will be shut off each night from 8 pm to 6:30 am.

The areas affected are – Greystones, Windgates, Delgany and Killincarrig Tankers are also in place at the following areas:
    • Wingfield Farm, Glencormack, on road no. L1019 (Glencormack to Tinnahinch road).
    • Bellevue Hill / Kindlestown Rise, Delgany.
    • Tinnapark, Kilpedder – will be in place later on Monday 28th
    • Timmore Lane (south of Newtown) – will be in place later on Monday 28th

The Vartry scheme was built in 1870 and problems with supply have been ongoing for a number of years. Irish Water, in taking over responsibility for water services on the 1st of January, identified this scheme as a very high risk scheme which requires major investment. Irish Water is accelerating a study to develop a modern treatment plant for this supply which will take a number of years to put in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

If this continues to happen they can forget about charging me paying the water charges.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Only a slight pressure reduction in Charlesland Wood so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Unbelievable. They're spending millions on consultants in order to charge us for water yet they can't give us a reliable supply. How f'ing stupid is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FirstIn wrote: »
    Unbelievable. They're spending millions on consultants in order to charge us for water yet they can't give us a reliable supply. How f'ing stupid is that?

did you even read the reason behind it or just ranting for the sake of it. Climatic conditions causing excess algal bloom, it happens and must be dealt with. Even in twenty years when all the infrastructure is fully repaired and up to spec it'll still happen on occasion, no point spending billions to solve a problem that happens extremely infrequently and when the system can cope the other 99.9% of the time.
    Same reason Ireland doesn't buy a fleet of snow ploughs to keep the roads snow free, it doesn't happen often enough to justify the excessive spend required.

This isn't the first time we've had reduced supply. Fair enough maybe this is not easily avoidable. I believe last time was due to too many burst pipes or was it 2 weeks of decent weather!

Before I'd go charging someone for something I'd ensure I could reliably supply it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Where is the "Delgany reservoir"?

On Blackberry lane I believe.

Nearly 40 years in the town and I didn't know that. Is it buried or enclosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

youknowwho wrote: »

Possibly this is it (underground)?

304907.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Maybe there isnt one rather the Supply to that area they ment. Im open to stand corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

loyatemu wrote: »
    Possibly this is it (underground)?

304907.png

Great minds think a like i was just looking at that i think it could be here?

8vqe4o.jpg

Thanks for the responses. It looks like one alright. I'm aware of a one outside Bray on the Southern Cross and it is similar to the one photographed.

Every day's a school day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Thanks for the responses. It looks like one alright. I'm aware of a one outside Bray on the Southern Cross and it is similar to the one photographed.

Every day's a school day :)

Giltspur Lane - off Southern Cross. Circular rather than rectangular though, so maybe not the one you are aware of?

304931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

did you even read the reason behind it or just ranting for the sake of it. Climatic conditions causing excess algal bloom, it happens and must be dealt with. Even in twenty years when all the infrastructure is fully repaired and up to spec it'll still happen on occasion, no point spending billions to solve a problem that happens extremely infrequently and when the system can cope the other 99.9% of the time.
    Same reason Ireland doesn't buy a fleet of snow ploughs to keep the roads snow free, it doesn't happen often enough to justify the excessive spend required.

But did you not read that irish water also said the infrastructure at vartry is very dated and highly inadequate for purpose and that they are going to update it but the work will take years!!!

we're going to be paying per litre - every day the water is off we're saving money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

loyatemu wrote: »
    we're going to be paying per litre - every day the water is off we're saving money ;)

I'd say we'll be paying more in standing fees than for the water itself, so can't see us being anything than even more ripped off...

Can't really see Irish Water giving you a discount on your bill for lack of service like a lot of other service companies would...

Back to my earlier point. Bl@@dy joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

Here is the latest from Wicklow County Council:

"Vartry Water Supply
    Water production at the Vartry water treatment works at Roundwood has reduced due to seasonal impacts of algae in the source water. Irish water and Wicklow County Council are working together to restore supply. The algae occur naturally in clean fresh waters and though it does not pose a health risk, it slows the treatment processes at the production plant.

The algae occurs naturally in clean fresh water and though it does not pose a health risk, it slows the treatment processes at the production plant. As a result, the water supplies to Northeast County Wicklow are badly affected.

In order to conserve water and maintain supplies during the day, the following areas will have supply interrupted nightly between 8.00 p.m. – 6.30 a.m.

Enniskerry:
    Kilmolin, Kilgarron, Parknasilogue, Eagle Valley, Enniskerry Village, Knocksink, Ballyman Road, Monastery Area, Eagle Valley, R117 and Millfield.

Greystones:
    Greystones, Greystones Town Environs, Charlesland, Windgates, Delgany, Templecarrig and Killincarrig.

Properties at a high elevation in the area of Kilmacanogue, Kilpedder, Delgany and Newcastle will suffer a complete loss of water during the day time, but should receive some water which will be sufficient to fill storage tanks during night time hours. It is expected that all consumers will get some water from the public mains for a period within 24 hours.

Tankers are in place at the following areas:

Wingfield Farm, Glencormack, on road number L1019 (Glencormack to Tinnahinch road).
    Bellevue Hill/Kindlestown Rise, Delgany.
    Tinnapark, Kilpedder – will be in place later on Monday 28th.
    Timmore Lane (south of Newtownmountkennedy) – will be in place on Monday 28th.
    Bog Meadow.
    Kilgarron Housing Estate, Enniskerry.

Please note that while mains will be turned back on at 6.30 a.m., it will take 2-3 hours to restore supply fully throughout the networks.

The Vartry Scheme was built in 1870 and problems with supply have been ongoing for a number of years.

Irish Water, in taking over responsibility for water services on the 1st January, 2014 identified this scheme as a very high risk scheme which requires major investment. Irish Water is accelerating a study to develop a modern treatment plant for this supply."

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

After enduring 8 weeks of minimal or no water last summer, 10 days ago it all began again. Even when our water is supposedly on ie not during restricted hours this is the best we are getting, 40 seconds to fill a pint glass.

Link doesn't seem to embed but

http://youtu.be/SD73Io86u8w

No washing, showering etc can be done at all.
    It is an utter disgrace given the junkets and corruption that have come to light regarding Wicklow county council and taxpayer's money. I have no problem paying for a consistent supply of quality water but I will not be paying any charges till improvements are in place. This country is a disgrace. I dare any election candidates to canvas my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wicklow Co Co never had any involvement in the running of either the reservoir or the water treatment plant at the Vartry reservoirs, it fell under the responsibility of Dublin City Council, and now Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Wicklow Co Co never had any involvement in the running of either the reservoir or the water treatment plant at the Vartry reservoirs, it fell under the responsibility of Dublin City Council, and now Irish Water.

Wicklow Co Council, control the flow of pressure from the N11 to my house. I have confirmed this with Dublin County Council. I built in 2006 and my water has never ever been satisfactory yet I paid the figure (which ran into many thousands) plucked out of the air to supposedly cover supply of services by the County Council when planning was granted for the house.

This is not just an algae issue. Its a poorly run County issue, with representatives who you don't see from one election to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

How long is this going to go on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

caji wrote: »
    How long is this going to go on for?

Supposedly until they get the algae bloom under control? Could be days, weeks or even months...

I'd say it all depends on how much chemicals they're willing to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I have no problem paying for a consistent supply of quality water but I will not be paying any charges till improvements are in place.

You're already paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Did anyone else notice water getting worse in last few weeks? The taste,smell and look. I just hot a new kettle like a week or so and already I had to remove the "scale" from it. Could the " algs" had influence on that as well or just poor state of infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

It's odd that you mention scale in the kettle. I've never known the water to cause scale. That's usually associated with hard water areas.

I did de-scale like yesterday. After using it after few times the scale was back. Tea is undrinkable when I use the tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get my water from Vartry reservoir too, and haven't descaled my kettle (or anything else) since I moved here 13 years ago! It doesn't even register on the water hardness scale if you use the strips you can get to test it. The water there comes down from the Wicklow Mountains and percolates through the peat, so if anything is slightly acidic.

I'll have to ask the "handyman" from our building. Maybe its something with the Seabourne.

• Advertisement

water was very chemically over the winter (we started buying bottled water), it's improved a bit over the last couple of months though.

How are restaurants etc coping with this?

Advertisement