Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen 2008 BMW 3 Series

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bmstuff wrote: »
    All e6x/e9x/e7xe8x/etc with CAS modules are affected from 2004 to 2012. It was only redesigned on F series.
    Start/stop button is irrelevant
    E46/e38/e39/e53...not affected
    Aren't X5's affected too?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aren't X5's affected too?

E7* is the x5.

As far as I'm aware it's any BM with a key like this:

bmw-car-key-credit-card-thumb-400x256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If I had the money to buy any of those affected models I would invest in a clamp, chain and a tracker also after market alarm

How does BMW get away with selling such an easy motor to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you think about it makes sense for somebody doing a robbery or a shooting to use something like a navy blue 330i. Looks inconspicuous but is fast and there must be thousands of cars fitting that description in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

....How does BMW get away with selling such an easy motor to take.

The issue was reported quiet late and F series were already out with the issue not being an issue anymore.
    When was the issue reported? 2010? E6x was gone already, F10 was out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bmstuff wrote: »
    The issue was reported quiet late and F series were already out with the issue not being an issue anymore.
    When was the issue reported? 2010? E6x was gone already, F10 was out etc.

Sorry meant how come they are not creating a fix or system they can add in.

I should have been clearer I understand they didn't notice straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Sorry meant how come they are not creating a fix or system they can add in.

I should have been clearer I understand they didn't notice straight away.

Because it is not a software issue, it is hardware. The cas module was designed this way accidentely and physically it can not be altered. Nor changed for obvious costs reasons. If they were to admit clearly it was a module issue then they would have no choice to recall over 1 million cars. Cost would be very high. It does not affect passengers safety as such either. So they got away clean...if I may say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

obd2pins.png

Put a hidden swich in line with pin 6 or 14 or both (2 switches of course)

Soldered connections and high quality cable only and avoid running wires far from the twisted pair that your dealing with.

Even just cut and install quality fuse holder in the lines and only install fuses when port is needed.
    (Dont forget or your service bill could get high while the mechanic diagnoses a can bus fault)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I read something about cross wiring one or two wires so it blows the thiefs computer permanently by putting voltage down the wrong line. Put the real port elsewhere.

lomb wrote: »
    I read something about cross wiring one or two wires so it blows the thiefs computer permanently by putting voltage down the wrong line. Put the real port elsewhere.

Please dont do that! My Autologic cost €16K and it would also blow if connected that way.
    I can assure you I would be looking for reimbursement from anyone involved in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mech1 wrote: »
    Even just cut and install quality fuse holder in the lines and only install fuses when port is needed.
    (Dont forget or your service bill could get high while the mechanic diagnoses a can bus fault)
    oh that's sneaky. Like it. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    oh that's sneaky. Like it. :)

Installing already blown fuses is even more sneaky:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Saw this on Facebook the other day.
    Shocking sh1t ****ing scumbags of the highest order.

I know the feeling only too well OP.
    The fact that bmw don't seem to have a proper fix for it is unreasonable.

I hope you get as lucky as me and it turns up.

Mine disappeared and burnt a few miles and over half a tank of petrol and that appears it along with some personal items.

Twitter Facebook etc annoy the gaurds and hope it turns up.

Best of luck OP.
    I'll keep an eye out, can't imagine I'll be up the north but I'll keep looking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I read somewhere that if you screw down the cover of the OBD Port so that the person stealing the car will not be able to open it without moving their arm in front of the alarm sensors. They wouldn't get enough torque to open it. If there was no room put a screw through the cover you could probably make up some sort of cover that would cover it and screw that in. I wouldn't worry about screw holes once they don't damage the wiring.

Edit: Found a pic
    AzmotCwCQAAxGsA.jpg:large
    Not a 100% proof solution; but it does prevent anyone getting easy access to the OBD port….

It is purposefully done in Striking Yellow to give it max visibility; as one of the key points of avoiding theft is to show the potential thief that you have some sort of protection mechanism - and thereby it is not worth his while to attempt theft on your car.

Advertisement