Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen 2008 BMW 3 Series

Options
  • 27-04-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I'm not sure the etiquette for posting these but just trying everything. My Grey BMW 3 Series was stolen this morning from the Docklands in Dublin 1 (Reg 08D71635, pic link below).

No keys, no broken windows, it was a clean (obviously skilled) steal.

Toll records show it went north (went through Dundalk toll). Not sure what can be done, but posting wherever I can.

I can't post images due to my user restrictions but there's one here: imgur.com/XGHUymJ

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Sorry to read this yet another one stolen if you can get photos of the car posted here and also on stolen recovered ireland facebook page :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Hole in the door to plug into the OBD port?

Probably the same people that stole a 330i not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Sorry to hear that, will keep my eyes out

For anyone else that's wondering....

Registration 08D71635
    Make BMW
    Model 320
    Description E90 D M SPORT 4DR A
    Engine Capacity (cc) 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Pic:

XGHUymJ.jpg

Shared on bmw-driver.net for you hopefully it will be found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Black Amnesia

@chrisb1: can't post pics (I've been a member since 2003) but there's one here: imgur.com/XGHUymJ, it's a standard '08 320d M-Sport - have posted to that FB page, thanks

@Sobanek: can only assume something like this, they didn't leave a trace of anything behind them though

@ION08, @Ardennes1944 thanks for filling in the gaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Some bloody assholes.

This is getting way too frequent. Hope you get it back OP and the fu€Kers get what they deserve.

obezyana wrote: »
    Some bloody assholes.

This is getting way too frequent. Hope you get it back OP and the fu€Kers get what they deserve.

Rarely happens that they get caught or get the book thrown at them by the courts if they are found and arrested the norm is a slap on the wrist and let do it over and over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

chrisb1 wrote: »
    Rarely happens that they get caught or get the book thrown at them by the courts if they are found and arrested the norm is a slap on the wrist and let do it over and over again

Aye that's the sad thing about it they will get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sobanek wrote: »
    Hole in the door to plug into the OBD port?

Probably the same people that stole a 330i not so long ago
    NOt another one. :(:(:(:mad::mad: Scum!

If anyone reading this has a BMW of a similar vintage(up to 2011 IIRC)and I'm sure there are a load of these vulnerable cars out there, then please please drive to the nearest BMW garage and ask them about an update to the ECU that plugs this security hole. And/or get a third party alarm system that locks off the port when triggered(and will go off if the car window is opened).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yep this is getting worrying as i have a 09 version...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There was a case here literally two weeks ago. Same thing, BMW but it turned up in Kildare but there was also a major haul found in Newry. If it went through Dundalk, I'd be calling the PSNI. The place is littered with ANPR and they'd be far more productive than down South. The fact they didn't change the reg and its been placed in Dundalk is a good indication you might have another hit further up over the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Where do these cars generally go?!? or are they stolen for parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Wibbs wrote: »
    NOt another one. :(:(:(:mad::mad: Scum!

If anyone reading this has a BMW of a similar vintage(up to 2011 IIRC)and I'm sure there are a load of these vulnerable cars out there, then please please drive to the nearest BMW garage and ask them about an update to the ECU that plugs this security hole. And/or get a third party alarm system that locks off the port when triggered(and will go off if the car window is opened).
    Does anyone know what the update changes? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it changes the settings on the internal sensors and disables the port when the alarm is armed, along with some other stuff that stops the key cloning even if he port is accessed. Like you say there does seem to be all sorts of info out there. You would think a) BMW would lay it all out and b) contact as many owners as they can and/or take out big ads in newspapers and the like highlighting this issue. Really bad show on their part IMH. Not a shock mind you as they denied and then avoided the problem for many many months when the dogs on the street knew there was a major security issue going on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm already pretty angry, but given this has been serviced in a main BMW dealership its whole life, I'd be furious if I knew there was an update not applied at some point, I'd hope it's not that simple.

I can't ever see myself buying another e90 though.

I'm too pissed off to be looking into this all now, I might at some point in future, but if someone has solid knowledge about this I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks for all responses to date, needless to say, nothing today, but there's some very interesting CCTV footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the update changes? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

Does anyone know how much BMW are charging for this update?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

I'm already pretty angry, but given this has been serviced in a main BMW dealership its whole life, I'd be furious if I knew there was an update not applied at some point, I'd hope it's not that simple.

I can't ever see myself buying another e90 though.

I'm too pissed off to be looking into this all now, I might at some point in future, but if someone has solid knowledge about this I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks for all responses to date, needless to say, nothing today, but there's some very interesting CCTV footage.

If that was the case then I'd look into the legal side of things, that would be bordering on negligence on BMWs behalf.

In any case I sincerely hope you find the car, definatly get onto the PSNI, unlike the gaurds they do actually go looking for stolen cars up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

nutts_77 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much BMW are charging for this update?
    It was free in the UK but I don't know about here.

There's some good advice here on what you can do to mitigate the risk:
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I do BMW official and latest flash updates on a regular basis, I can tell you for sure, there is no such thing as a software update that prevents a 3rd party from making a new key from the OBD port.

The only thing you can do from a coding point of view, is disable the comfort opening/closing of the window from the keyfob, which, can also be activated without the key but by inserting a piece of metal or two into the lock.

So you can drop the window without the key, slide your arm along the door card to reach for the OBD port, then make a new key with the computer, all that without the alarm going off.

The only solution to prevent this from happening:

- Code windows opening out
    - Relocate the OBD port to an inaccessible location

This way they can no longer make a key
    To steal they car, they would need the key, or lift the car on a trailer (Alarm will go off).

Get a GPS tracker too or advanced alarm

Feel free to message me if you have any question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

So the initial vulnerability is being able to open the window because of this comfort option? I have an 01 e46 and as far as I know, the windows don't do this, what's the best way test it, just leave a window open and lock the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

bmstuff wrote: »
    I do BMW official and latest flash updates on a regular basis, I can tell you for sure, there is no such thing as a software update that prevents a 3rd party from making a new key from the OBD port.

The only thing you can do from a coding point of view, is disable the comfort opening/closing of the window from the keyfob, which, can also be activated without the key but by inserting a piece of metal or two into the lock.

So you can drop the window without the key, slide your arm along the door card to reach for the OBD port, then make a new key with the computer, all that without the alarm going off.

The only solution to prevent this from happening:

- Code windows opening out
    - Relocate the OBD port to an inaccessible location

This way they can no longer make a key
    To steal they car, they would need the key, or lift the car on a trailer (Alarm will go off).

Get a GPS tracker too or advanced alarm

Feel free to message me if you have any question

Does this apply to all models or just those with comfort access?

All e6x/e9x/e7xe8x/etc with CAS modules are affected from 2004 to 2012. It was only redesigned on F series.
    Start/stop button is irrelevant
    E46/e38/e39/e53...not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

I personally think that they would remove the reg plate and use the car for breakage or spare parts. This is what would imagine to happened to car..

You can watch out for 08 BMW spare parts on donedeal or adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

newbie13 wrote: »
    I personally think that they would remove the reg plate and use the car for breakage or spare parts. This is what would imagine to happened to car..

Without sounding racist, I have it on good authority that most of this is sent out to the continent where the chances of being traced are nil. So much so that I believe some eastern european countries have banned imports of second hand car parts.

Sure even when I had some stuff robbed in America from a hire car, I was told they bundle it up and send it to a totally different city. Lessens the chance of being caught. And that was small time operations, I'd imagine these lads are on a whole different scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Instant fix today , around the steering wheel spokes and seat runner, what we did in ,the old days before key codeing along with a petrol pump kill switch, job done

Kryptonite_New_York_Fahgettaboudit_chain_and_padlock_100_cm_2013.jpg?w=700&h=700&a=7

kryptonite-new-york-fahgettaboudit-chain-padlock

newbie13 wrote: »

If we are talking about gangs stealing BMW with the key duplicator computer, which costs 4500 euros by the way, I highly doubt they would bother putting stuff on adverts/donedeal.

Most likely cars are shipped in one piece with some fake documentation, or cars are dismantled for parts. High value parts such as iDrive, Sport steering wheels, sport bumpers etc are much easier sellers in Germany etc than they are here.
    I know for instance you can not register a southern Ireland car in the North anymore since the last while until the PSNI calls the Gardai to run a check on the car. Most countries do not care about the current status of the car though.

While highly powered cars are usually used as gateway cars here then burned or disposed in some way.

Bigus wrote: »
    Instant fix today , around the steering wheel spokes and seat runner, what we did in ,the old days before key codeing along with a petrol pump kill switch, job done

kryptonite-new-york-fahgettaboudit-chain-padlock

Yes works well, they will think twice before touching the car.
    It would take ages and make a lot of noise getting rid of one of these.

• Advertisement

On an update to the old stylee hidden kill switch cutting fuel/ignition/ECU/whatever, would it be possible to DIY wire one into the OBD port? What wire would you need to intercept to achieve this? A well hidden one far away from he port should be an easy one compared to the other kill switches as you could hide it well out of everyday reach as you would have it disabled all the time, because you'd only ever need it for services and such at a dealer. Relocating the port itself would be easy enough I'd imagine? Maybe even stick a dummy one from a scrapped Beemer into the original place.

On the software update front, was there no way that BMW could have set the OBD port to inactive when the doors were closed and alarm was activated, or increase the sensitivity of the ultrasonics so they'd trigger if the window was opened? Seems not. It's crazy to the point of careless that an alarm, OEM or no won't go ape if a window opens. :confused: On my third party alarm I have the sonics dialed right down as they can be buggers for false alarms with temp changes, but even so if I leave the window even slightly open a mm or two it'll trigger that zone as "active" on setting the alarm and will go full trigger if I ignore the warnings.

Regardless it seems that a lot of BMW owning folks out there really need to do something as there exists a huge security hole in a few models and there have been two of these type thefts on here in as many weeks and you can bet the farm there have been more out in the non Boards world. It's easy money for scum.

Advertisement