Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 4 "Oathkeeper": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

Not sure how I feel about these potential spoilers...don't think I'd mind if the book was soon but it's presumably still a while away so we won't know for ages... o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Feck sake, the "*HAVE* read the books" thread isn't even safe any more with potential spoilers like that. Need a new "*HAVE* read the books *NO SPOILERS FROM SHOW*" thread. :eek:

Not sure what to do now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

It seems the tables have turned. Normally its the book readers teasing the non-book readers with spoilers, now its the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

It is the night's king isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yey Night's King! Well that answers some questions from the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

It seems the tables have turned. Normally its the book readers teasing the non-book readers with spoilers, now its the other way around!

It's worse than that. The non book readers are on a level playing field to us now! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Daith wrote: »
    It's worse than that. The non book readers are on a level playing field to us now! :eek:

We have all become Unsullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yey Night's King! Well that answers some questions from the books.

What does it answer? Whether the WWs have a heirarchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

What does it answer? Whether the WWs have a hierarchy?

I suppose it doesn't. They were shown laughing and taunting their victims in the prologue to AGOT, so they are obviously intelligent.

It's obvious that there has to be some sort of hierarchy, but they are just much more mysterious in the books, because you see so little of them, and hear tales of the wights, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Weird. You fixed my misspelling in your quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Luft Ballon

What in seven hells was that at the end?!

I'm trying to figure out if I'm excited or disgusted. If that is something from The Winds of Winter then I really don't think that sort of stuff is on. I mean chances are that's all we'll see of the White Walkers all season but still that's pretty much giving book readers the middle finger and I thought the writers and GRRM himself would have known better. As somebody who goes out of my way to prevent anyone I know, or don't know from seeing spoilers it's not fair as I would much prefer to find out when the book is released!

I don't think thats fair, the show is its own beast and has never claimed to be an exactly faithful recreation of the books, and chances are the show will have to overtake the books at some stage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Weird. You fixed my misspelling in your quote.

OCD :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I don't think thats fair, the show is its own beast and has never claimed to be an exactly faithful recreation of the books, and chances are the show will have to overtake the books at some stage anyway

What also isn't fair is not quoting the next thing I said:

In saying all that it was the most intriguing and riveting 5 minutes of the show since I read the books after season 2 :pac: I really want to know more about North of the wall and the WW!

Which really just highlights my frustration at wanting to know more about that storyline especially when it seems to have been shoehorned in as part of storyline that could potentially diverge massively depending on whether Jon and Bran meet.

It's something we certainly didn't expect to see so soon. I get they're different things but it just seemed out of place to me. Like I said I was intrigued with it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

can't wait to watch it now! hope the WTF moment isnt as bad as the red wedding WTF moment :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

What happened there? Bran and co at Craster's. Jon knowing that Bran is alive.

Also, pretty much Joffrey's death explained in your face

And the end...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That looked like it could have been a future spoiler, so fcuk this, I'm done with the show. Could be the first of many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Great episode. Loved the deviations from the book. Hopefully there'll be more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Littlefinger's accent was a little more consistent this week too. Tommen was truly like the cat that got the cream :P

Did anyone else think they noticed Littlefinger's dialogue go up and down in volume? It sounded like he some of his lines were redubbed to me.

The Margaery/Tommen scene was a bit :eek: I though she was actually going to kiss him on the mouth at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I loved this episode. The deviations from the book are great. Normally I'm sitting there knowing what's going to happen but for the first time I genuinely don't know how an arc is going to play out and it makes it much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I loved this episode. The deviations from the book are great. Normally I'm sitting there knowing what's going to happen but for the first time I genuinely don't know how an arc is going to play out and it makes it much more fun.

I'd rather be like that reading the book. The show is a poor imitation of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I don't think that it was a major spoiler. The show by it's nature has to be more explicit than the books given that grrm has pages and pages to evoke subtleties that need to come across in a few images. There were always references to the Great Other, residing in the land of always winter, and the implication of some kind of hierarchy at least between the wws and the wights. I mean we know that the wws take the babies and we know that they turn living people into wights. Beyond that we're in a realm of speculation in both book and tv land. I mean it looked to me like they were turning the baby into a ww rather than a wight but really it's just speculation. IMO they put it in to give the walkers more screen time, I know one of my (non book reader) oh's chief frustrations is the fact that the looming zombie apocolypse is slow in progressing and largely ignored. It was visually amazing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

bopper wrote: »
    The Margaery/Tommen scene was a bit :eek: I though she was actually going to kiss him on the mouth at the end!

Agreed it was creepy but no more so than what we've come to expect. At least he's not eight. They've even aged Ser Pounce!

I do look forward to those pr1cks at Crasters Keep getting their comeuppance.

I like deviations from the books, makes the show more fun for me!

I'm mostly at peace with the deviations but I really, really don't want the show to overtake the books.

Hurry up George please! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Tempted to give the rest of the season a miss. That reveal at the end, and the PW plot being confirmed (I'd have forgiven that on it's own), are just not on imo. Minor deviations are ok, but showing stuff that the books have yet to confirm is a step too far.

The Night's King looked pretty terrible (unconvincing) too.

The boy at Castle Black will surely be the one who kills Ygritte after that archery comment.

Also, Sam tells Jon about Bran going north of the Wall. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Bit of a nothing episode except for the last 45 seconds.

Also, Sam tells Jon about Bran going north of the Wall.

I must have missed this? When was this? Was it when they were in the room full of scrolls?

I almost forgot (so wtf about the ending), but wasn't it good to see the Targaryen standard flying above Meereen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Normally when there's a big moment like that ending I think "Wow, I can't wait to see the non-readers thread after that". This is the first time I thought "Wow, I can't wait to see the readers thread".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I must have missed this? When was this? Was it when they were in the room full of scrolls?

Yeah, it didn't show Sam telling him about it, but Jon said something about how when he got back to Castle Black he only wished he could recuperate from his arrow wound and go after Bran. Sam says he tried to convince Bran to come with him instead of going north. It's around 35-36 mins in.

I imagine it's to do with Roose's orders to Locke about going after Bran and Rickon. They need something to slow down Bran's arc after skipping so far ahead.

Advertisement