Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

bear1 wrote: »

Anyone like to hazard a guess how long this is likely to sit for? In france until Saturday and its exactly what im looking for. Is it well priced and do they move easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

C0N0R wrote: »
    Anyone like to hazard a guess how long this is likely to sit for? In france until Saturday and its exactly what im looking for. Is it well priced and do they move easily?

I think price wise it's ok and in 3 door they would be quite sought after.
    If I were you I'd give the lad a call and ask for first preference.
    You're back in a few days so he may well not have it sold by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It looks well minded and it's a very well written ad.

If I was interested in a MkIV GTI i'd be on the phone to him.

bear1 wrote: »
    I think price wise it's ok and in 3 door they would be quite sought after.
    If I were you I'd give the lad a call and ask for first preference.
    You're back in a few days so he may well not have it sold by then.

What are they like to drive? Ive driven a gt tdi one and was happy enough, I understand the petrol ones will drive different and know they dont really deserve the gti badge but how bad are they? My car history is a twin turbo legacy and then 100bhp diesels before that. I know it won't hold a candle to the legacy but are they better than a 100bhp diesel?

Anyone In the cork area thats knowledgeable fancy having a look for me?!

• Advertisement

It's 177bhp and 1200kg, it won't be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes buy an interesting bangernomics car that's not as expensive to tax :)

I see your point though but I'd never buy a secondhand fleunce, let alone a new one.

If enough others think likewise, the Fluence will be cracking bangernomics. It's all about going against the popular thought of the day. Still not sure I would though ;).

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's 177bhp and 1200kg, it won't be slow.

Its coming in at 150bhp according to liberty insurance, was there two different gti models?

I believe the GTI has only 150bhp... I think the best way to tell is by checking the engine code - ARL I believe means 150bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

rotun wrote: »

How hard can it be to wash the car and take a photo of the front.
    I'd never entertain that car just because of the slapdash effort the owner's made to advertise it.

• Advertisement

And no mention of the belts being done which would lead me to assume they are due, if not overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Decent mileage, clean looking. No mention of Tax.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/audi/a3/2000-audi-a3-for-sale/5671987

NWEzNGFlNmZhNWZkMmMxY2JhNjU5ODcxZDhkMTY0NGWJmu9PCPenlnDOrL1cq6usaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZGVjZWY2NTA2YWZjMjJhYTE1YmI4MmE0MGU0Y2E2N2UxNTViYWJiZGMyMWFkN2YzY2VlYmRkMjQ5YzY2NWE4ZS5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9jYXItaW1hZ2UuanBnfA==.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Clutch going and 4 months test does not good bangernomics make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I actually can't recall ever seeing 4dr MK1 A3s..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Clutch going and 4 months test does not good bangernomics make

True enough, negotiation point maybe.

Kaiser D wrote: »
    I actually can't recall ever seeing 4dr MK1 A3s..

I remember seeing one when they came out around 1999. I was outraged. Couldn't figure out how it was an a3 without 3 doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

How hard can it be to wash the car and take a photo of the front.
    I'd never entertain that car just because of the slapdash effort the owner's made to advertise it.

I would take any notice of what little dirt is on it. I've seen plenty of polished up heaps that look great in the photos but aren't great in the flesh. That car could be genuine and good underneath that layer of dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Twould want to be a savage tent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Twould want to be a savage tent!

well at least they'd be no property tax on it!:pac:

Those Corollas are serious sleepers!

Yeah, remember driving one for the first time in 2004. I couldn't bring myself to rev it to the limiter - it just felt wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It's all about going against the popular thought of the day.

The best kept secret of bangernomics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a very nice looking car but €1809 tax is an awful lot to have to stomach. I know I couldn't do it, even if I had the money.

In fairness everyone's different. I wouldn't find the tax on that yoke hard to stomach as it's an epic car for peanuts. Bring the haggling squad and see how low can he go.
    In contrast I'd find a 30k paddy spec corolla/passat etc much harder to stomach than paying 500 quid tax on that for three months.
    Or buy and sell it in two months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Anywhere else in Europe this would fetch what, north of €5k?

For a decent low miles one a good bit more than that!

Just checked prices in the Netherlands (very similar to prices in Germany typically) and they only start at about €7k asking price. And that will be for a car with over 200k km. The median asking price seems to be a bit north of €10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

In fairness everyone's different. I wouldn't find the tax on that yoke hard to stomach as it's an epic car for peanuts. Bring the haggling squad and see how low can he go.
    In contrast I'd find a 30k paddy spec corolla/passat etc much harder to stomach than paying 500 quid tax on that for three months.
    Or buy and sell it in two months.....

As you say everyone is different. no matter what way I look at it, or try to justify it, I can't. I still hold the view that near on two grand to tax a car is a ridiculous amount of money, 511 for 3 short months is even more ridiculous imo.

I could never get enjoyment out of that car with the thought of having to gather that much money together again for tax renewal time.

Anyway that's my view on it and I shall leave it at that. I don't want to derail this thread any longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement