Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golf TDI
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/x-mass-bargain-golf-tdi-nct-tax/8204575
    Uk import, these can be a minefield but looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What kind of figures are we talking?

Hard to say exactly as I've never owned one, between 10-15hp.
    Mighty Car Mods recently did a comparison with their S2000 expecting little to not change and were surprised when they saw a creditable gain when dyno tested.
    One phone so I'm not linking but it's something along the line of "Cold air intake might busted, naturally aspirated" in YouTube. Popular video so it should be easy to find.

You'll find most modified Civics running around 180-190hp with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, a B16 can crack 200hp on similar mods and a good rebuild with someone that knows the b series.

I know this as a good friend of mine had one of the best B16's in the country, the engine he build is now being used for rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

CianRyan wrote: »
    Hard to say exactly as I've never owned one, between 1.0-1.5hp.
    Mighty Car Mods recently did a comparison with their S2000 expecting little to not change and were surprised when they saw a creditable gain when dyno tested.
    One phone so I'm not linking but it's something along the line of "Cold air intake might busted, naturally aspirated" in YouTube. Popular video so it should be easy to find.

You'll find most modified Civics running around 180-190hp with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, a B16 can crack 200hp on similar mods and a good rebuild with someone that knows the b series.

I know this as a good friend of mine had one of the best B16's in the country, the engine he build is now being used for rally.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

rizzodun wrote: »
    How realistic is his claim of 47 mpg?
    Not too realistic, unless he has a solid backup for this figure.
    To put things into perspective, my 1.5 VTi has been averaging 48.5 mpg over the last 55k km, but that is a larger engine and does not have the lean-burn setup as the 1.5, i.e. it basically is not overly economical even if you take it handy. I guess it should do 40 mpg on average, if driven right and not in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, .

A what now? :confused: A venturi is by definition a restriction,

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I don't like those filters for various reasons on these, but what damage would they cause to the engine?
    These filter imitations do not stop the fine particles from getting into the combustion chamber as well as a proper filter. The abrasive contaminants like fine dust cause premature wear to the engine.

A what now? :confused: A venturi is by definition a restriction,

This is what I've been told anyway and I'd trust the lad that told me.
    It's a type of intake that causes the air to spiral and compress as it enters the engine, hence, more power.
    Very basic description, probably wrong but there you go. :pac:

f3iizb34.qlv.jpg

And here's the S2000 video.

EDIT: And as you'll see, the standard air filter for the S2000 is a cone filter so the above makes little sense.

This is what I've been told anyway and I'd trust the lad that told me.

It dont work like that. Engines dont breathe continously. In a 4 pot, the intake valve of any cylinder will only be open for a max of 180 degrees for each 720 degree cycle. For those 180 degres, the air is moving quickly down the intake into that cylinder. then the valve closes. And the air hits it and stops. This causes the incoming moving air to back up, causing a back pressure ( as a wave moving away from the intake)f That would kill any attempt to get the air moving in one "spiral" mass.

It dont work like that. Engines dont breathe continously. In a 4 pot, the intake valve of any cylinder will only be open for a max of 180 degrees for each 720 degree cycle. For those 180 degres, the air is moving quickly down the intake into that cylinder. then the valve closes. And the air hits it and stops. This causes the incoming moving air to back up, causing a back pressure ( as a wave moving away from the intake)f That would kill any attempt to get the air moving in one "spiral" mass.

Fair enough, I'm no engineer so I wouldn't have a clue.

They work though, I've seen the improvements between the above and a standard/regular cold air intake.
    How they do it, shall for now at least, remain a mystery. :p

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    These filter imitations do not stop the fine particles from getting into the combustion chamber as well as a proper filter. The abrasive contaminants like fine dust cause premature wear to the engine.

If they are proper;y oiled ( with proper filter oil) the will work very well indeed. Its the oil that traps particles, not the physical filter.
    Anyway, your engine oil will deal with any very fine material that gets in. Change your oil regularly and it'll be fine.

Anyway, I think we are a bit OT now. Sorry!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IF the intake manifold branches were routed in a certain way it COULD work.

That's purely theoretical though.

Manifolds seem to have a huge effect on B16's too, the one I'm basing this one went through 3 till it was matched with the right one. Got a €2000 bisimoto one and took it off because it put it down on power.
    He got it on sale but he was not happy about that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Ah yes. Air fuel BANG fart

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-1-7td-98/7823628
    It's got bonnet surfing handles!!

If they are proper;y oiled ( with proper filter oil) the will work very well indeed. Its the oil that traps particles, not the physical filter.
    Sure... The thing I don't understand however is why these, obviously cheaper, small filters are not factory fitted. Why do they fit a large, black plastic box with a large filter insert? The whole setup costs a lot more to manufacture.
    Honda engineers, if you are reading this thread you can learn a lot and save some money at the same time, plus all that extra horsepower! It is a no-brainer surely, is it?
    Anyway, your engine oil will deal with any very fine material that gets in.
    Before it settles in the oil filter, it will have to pass the cylinder-piston surface and do some damage.
    Anyway, I think we are a bit OT now. Sorry!:D
    Yeah, a bit :o.

Sure... The thing I don't understand however is why these, obviously cheaper, small filters are not factory fitted. Why do they fit a large, black plastic box with a large filter insert? The whole setup costs a lot more to manufacture.
    It reduces induction noise. The back pressure wave I spoke about above causes the induction roar you notice when you remove the oem kit. Also, paper filters require less care and feeding than oil/cotton filters

Before it settles in the oil filter, it will have to pass the cylinder-piston surface and do some damage.

It doesnt settle in the filter, it remains in suspension.

Honda engineers, if you are reading this thread you can learn a lot and save some money at the same time, plus all that extra horsepower! It is a no-brainer surely, is it?

Watch the video I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Anyone see any bangers today?

Anyone see any bangers today?

We're off tonight Charlie. Its your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

this could be a repost. fairly extensive spec list including memory seating. the poor mans lexus gs maybe?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-hyundai-xg-n-c-t/8011783

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-xg-2-5-n-c-t/8204593

still fancy it for what could well be **** all moneys!

this has to be one of a rare breed of car, where you can turn up as a prospective buyer and offer any sum of money at all and be almost guaranteed acceptance.

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mg-zr-nctd/8204272

these are such a looker and despite the naysayers, they are pretty ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

this has to be one of a rare breed of car, where you can turn up as a prospective buyer and offer any sum of money at all and be almost guaranteed acceptance.

Could be made interesting...

2005040250938.jpg

img_141160_7.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    Still fecking overpriced :p

it's only going one way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Why do I think that thing is cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I like some of these estates estate
    Estatenomics test only til march though
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondo-estate-only-80-000-km/8199648
    volvonomics - like the look of this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-volvo-v40-1-8-petrol-1050-euros-price-to-sell/8189772
    cheap - this could be had for 6 or 650 methinks
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v40/8149560
    i like this one
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/v70/7943560
    almost for nothing car. I learned to drive in one of these
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-estate/8126714

clearly the chrome hub caps... or is it the 2.5 v6 fwd setup that draws you in :P?

i just think it's so endearing, it was hyundai trying so so hard. it's one of their last **** cars, like they gave it a reasonable engine, loaded it with extras, they just forgot to make it pretty.

crazy hilarious how mk1 mondeos are holding better value than mk2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I have a real softspot for them and a car with a decent amount of test like that red one is going to be worth at least 600 of anyones money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

I was trying to think of what it reminded me of ..... then ... boom ...

My old Kojak toy car >

Kojakbuick.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement