Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

'06 Renault Espace (7 seater MPV), 77k miles, taxed October, NCT 2016, asking just €2,150

32353938.jpeg

Unbelievable value for money. So cheap presumably because everybody knows that only a fool buys a petrol car. Diesel is where it's at :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Hal1 wrote: »
    Some of those primera's had a spoiler. For that touring car look :cool:.

I would love one for mine. +25BHP for sure:cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Do those Espaces' only have the AC button on the drivers side door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-nissan-almera-auto/7561371

Posted that a few weeks ago, ad has been deleted and its a new name and location, there's probably something dodgy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

Didn't the Espace end up rock bottom in a couple of JD Power surveys in the mid 00's ?

• Advertisement

jharr100 wrote: »
    Didn't the Espace end up rock bottom in a couple of JD Power surveys in the mid 00's ?

That was the previous model. Renault has come a long way in quality improvement in recent years.

But as always, on a bangernomics car it is far more important to judge an individual car rather than depend on general reliability characteristics for certain makes / models

And imho, by far the best value bangernomics cars are typically the ones with the bad reputations. Particularly the petrol ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

32445635.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-convertible/7554136

Ha the window regulator is gone on the passenger door but this surely is within bangernomics territory at €2250.

Apart from the very bad regulators are there any other problems with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

32445635.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-convertible/7554136

Ha the window regulator is gone on the passenger door but this surely is within bangernomics territory at €2250.

That advert doesn't really inspire, pictures are all basically the same angle, just zoomed in and there is very little detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

And going by the reg, it looks to be a UK import plus....."Failure of front electric windows seems to be increasingly common and fixing both sides is a £900 job at a Renault dealer, though you may get some goodwill towards this. "

They are God awful from the back though

• Advertisement

Ha the window regulator is gone on the passenger door

The car won't fail the NCT on this but in a convertible it's kinda required that all windows can go down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

unkel wrote: »
    The car won't fail the NCT on this but in a convertible it's kinda required that all windows can go down :p

Do the windows automatically come down in these before the roof comes down? I know in some convertibles this is the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bear1 wrote: »
    Do those Espaces' only have the AC button on the drivers side door?

There's another panel complete with display on the passenger door

That's kinda funky tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

highdef wrote: »
    And going by the reg, it looks to be a UK import plus....."Failure of front electric windows seems to be increasingly common and fixing both sides is a £900 job at a Renault dealer, though you may get some goodwill towards this. "

*splutter* £900?? *fishes false teeth from cup of cocoa*

Why on earth that much? I did an 03 Ibiza window reg for my sister, E70+vat or the kit and 45mins to fit,

Whats with the megane? body computer issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭Top Dog

highdef wrote: »
    Where on earth did you pull that number from? I got 2 front window regulators done on a Laguna II for less than €300 at a Renault main dealer. My sister had all 4 replaced in her Grand Scenic at an Indy garage for €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Keycards break down over time. €60 if you send it to the UK for repair - multiples of that if you're mad enough to go to a Renault main dealer over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Top Dog wrote: »
    Where on earth did you pull that number from? I got 2 front window regulators done on a Laguna II for less than €300 at a Renault main dealer. My sister had all 4 replaced in her Grand Scenic at an Indy garage for €450.
    Reads like Honest John to me. I like HJ for reviews of bangernomics cars, but you would not want to be paranoid when reading the 'What's Bad' section :eek::D

Not your ornery onager

"What's bad" is very relative when it comes to bangernomics cars

A potential €10k problem that happens once in a lifetime to 1 in 20 cars of a particular make / model that cost €50k new is bad. Your expected loss is €500. If it happens, you just have to pay for it if the car is say less than 5 years old. Maximum loss is €10k (price of repair)

When you buy a €1k bangernomics car, this expected loss is €50. If it happens, you scrap the car and your maximum loss is €800 (purchase price minus scrappage value)

Puts things into perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I agree with your hypothesis above.

However, in bangernomics, you walk away from the banger if it would cost you more to repair/tax/test (and get you down the road for an acceptable time) than to just buy another roadworthy banger.

For example: your banger that cost you €500 needs a repair costing €250, but it still has say 6 months tax and test, and no other issues on the horizon. Fix or scrap? Can you immediately buy another 6 month+ banger for less than €250? Probably not, but would that €250 plus say another €250 buy that next banger?

What to do, what to do?!?!? Fix or scrap? Heart says fix, BN-head says scrap, because of too much prior experience 'throwing good money after bad'.

Btw, the figures I used above are probably more relevant to the original definition of BN, but they can be extrapolated to our version by multiplying by say 4.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

colm_mcm wrote: »

But aren't these a nightmare?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No I don't think they are. The diesels gave more trouble because of the usual Irish bad driving/servicing habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Weird looking colour change under the bonnet and on the upper radiator crossmember, paint looks orangey like it was repainted or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How has it got a test till June 16?
    Mph clocks so perhaps out of sequence due to being import but ad said one owner.

The NCT is correct anyway, next NCT due is the 11/06/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement