Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 3D cinema entry to see Canonisation of Pope JPII and Pope John XXIII

Options
  • 25-04-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Canonisation of Blesseds Pope John Paul II and Pope John XXIII. Taking place this Sunday.

Blurb:

"Vision in partnership with Nexo Digital and Sky 3D has announced that the double canonisation of John Paul II and John XXIII will be broadcast to cinemas across the UK & Ireland in 3D live from Vatican City on Sunday 27 April.

At a press conference in the Vatican, CTV chief Monignor Dario Vigano said the live transmission will require “more satellites than the Sochi Olympics.” Vigano underlined that the Vatican decided to offer the canonisation ceremony to the world in 3D in order to give people who would want to attend but cannot, for many reasons including economic ones, the chance to get a “fully immersive” experience. The production will use 13 3D cameras positioned in spots that will give a unique and exclusive vantage point of St Peter’s Square.

A number of cinemas in Ireland are showing the canonisation ceremonies live in 3D. The cinemas taking part are:

Dublin:
    Cineworld
    Movies @ Dundrum
    Movies @ Swords

Waterford:
    SGC Dungarvan

Wexford:
    Movies @ Gorey

These screenings are free of charge but there will be a small charge of €1 for the 3D glasses. Please check with your local cinema for more information and booking."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

If it was happening in my back garden I'd close the curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

I'd definitely go see this if my only other option was a kick in the bollox. No wait can I change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hmmmm..........go to this or watch Liverpool v Chelsea ?? Decisions decisions..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This post is definitely mistitled. It should say "free tickets to canonisation ceremony" or something similar.

The title implies you can get into any 3d film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This will be the last place Ill be on a sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They could be giving you €10 to attend it, a bag of popcorn, a beer and some sleeping tablets and it would still not be a bargain. Surely the wrong forum for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's a sign of the times in a nation where 87% of the population identified themselves as Catholic here we are now and there is free tickets to a screening of the largest Catholic ceremony since the Pope got ordained and yet only four cinemas in a country of 4.5 million people (of which 87% say they are Catholic) are showing it.

So less than 1,000 of the country's near 4 million Catholics will get to see the canonisation of a Pope who ordered the future Pope Benedict to cover up child abuse allegations. Fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Why do people always have to have a go at this church.If you're not interested then just ignore it.No need to offend peoples religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Have modified the post title. Mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

logically wrote: »
    Have modified the post title. Mea culpa.

careful logically - they'll have a go at you for speaking latin next... ;)

• Advertisement

Love the Latin me. Vorsprung Durch Technik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

shush! shush! dont tell me what happens- i'm recording it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

todolist wrote: »
    Why do people always have to have a go at this church.If you're not interested then just ignore it.No need to offend peoples religion.

Some people must lead boring lives I guess.:rolleyes:

Probably to do with the world wide evidence of child abuse and subsequent cover ups. You might be able to turn a blind eye to all that, but I certainly can't.

There's also the small matter of there's no such thing as (any) God, and religion is a man made phenomenon designed to instill fear and control the masses.

But shur each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It's a sign of the times in a nation where 87% of the population identified themselves as Catholic here we are now and there is free tickets to a screening of the largest Catholic ceremony since the Pope got ordained and yet only four cinemas in a country of 4.5 million people (of which 87% say they are Catholic) are showing it.

So less than 1,000 of the country's near 4 million Catholics will get to see the canonisation of a Pope who ordered the future Pope Benedict to cover up child abuse allegations. Fine by me.

It's on Rte, sky 3d and ewtn. Shows start around 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

Sounds alright, when they fire them out of the cannons it'll seem like the popes (Popei?) are coming right at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Soarer wrote: »
    Probably to do with the world wide evidence of child abuse and subsequent cover ups. You might be able to turn a blind eye to all that, but I certainly can't.

There's also the small matter of there's no such thing as (any) God, and religion is a man made phenomenon designed to instill fear and control the masses.

If it was a Muslim event would you turn a blind eye to the treatment of women and other things to do with that religion?I bet like most people you'd say nothing.As for God being "A man made phenomenon".A bold statement from a mere mortal.You look at the beauty and gift of life and this world and you can't accept the possibility of a benevolent God who has blessed us.

Just in case I wasn't clear before, I believe all religion is made up. How any logical person can believe there's a "person" up in the sky looking down on us is beyond me. Even my 5 year old asked me when he was 4 "Dad, how can holy god see us from all the way up there?" To this day I've no idea how to answer him.

And you think it's a god that's given us "beauty and the gift of life"? Which god gave it to us?

Listen, I genuinely believe it's each to their own, and if you want to believe in something without proof, then fill your boots. But how people can blindly stand by an institution that preyed on the weakest in society baffles me.

Credit where it's due though. This new pope seems to be a bit more clued in than any of his predecessors, and looks like he's trying to right a lot of the wrongs.

Apologies to the OP for going so far off off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You mean they're gonna shoot the Pope out of a Canon? Where do I sign up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Thanks OP, appreciate the heads up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Soarer wrote: »

If you adopt that attitude then maybe you wouldn't make the statement that you just made.

If it was a Muslim event would you turn a blind eye to the treatment of women and other things to do with that religion?I bet like most people you'd say nothing.As for God being "A man made phenomenon".A bold statement from a mere mortal.You look at the beauty and gift of life and this world and you can't accept the possibility of a benevolent God who has blessed us.

Indeed. Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

7upfree wrote: »
    If you adopt that attitude then maybe you wouldn't make the statement that you just made.

I imagine he used the phrase as an indictment of people who would utter it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Free popcorn and I might go.

Catholic bashers hanging around like a bad smell as usual, I thought I'd accidentally gone into after hours....

Is no forum free from their scumbaggery?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Find it interesting that its effectively just one rural-based chain of cinemas (Spurling) plus Cineworld who'll show anything if its off-peak that are doing this. None of the others seem to think its even vaguely worth it obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Catholic bashers hanging around like a bad smell as usual, I thought I'd accidentally gone into after hours....

Yeah............... maybe an exorcism is in order.........

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Pointing out that the Catholic Church is an intrinsically immoral organisation makes someone a scumbag now? Ah give over

• Advertisement

diograis wrote: »
    Pointing out that the Catholic Church is an intrinsically immoral organisation makes someone a scumbag now? Ah give over

Nope. But scumbags indeed are the anti-Catholic trolls that populate any thread which deals with Catholicism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement