Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Saturday 17/10 - Grass Session: 3 x 5 mins (8 miles)
    Last Saturday session of this marathon cycle and probably last session at the UCC farm as building on the land is about to commence, such a shame. Anyway the session was just 3 x 5 mins but it being the last bit of hard running we put in a good effort. Felt really good for these and the body seemed to be moving well except for a slight twinge in the glute on the 3rd rep but nothing major and I'm taking a trip to the physio mid week to shake out any niggles.

Splits (2 mins recovery)
    5 mins @ 5:12 m/m
    5 mins @ 5:07 m/m
    5 mins @ 5:09 m/m

Sunday 18/10 - 10 miles @ 7:11 m/m
    Met up with a big group at 9am and set off around the marina, legs felt good for this and picked up pace slightly on second loop. This was a bit of a dry run for the race, I got up early and had porridge at 7am and wore the same gear. Went well I suppose, the only difference was that I didn't run 26.2 miles in 2:35 but that part will be fine :D

Really happy to have this week under my belt after the achilles trouble last week, I'm feeling good so just one more week of avoiding cracks on the pavement and not talking to anyone in work for fear of catching a virus.

Weekly milage: 66

Well last week is here. I'm not going to say much about getting to the start line healthy this time. I'm not there yet but it's looking good. Let's just say the lower back region is on high alert.

Monday 19/10 - 45 mins @ 7:17 m/m
    Headed down to a clubmates house for a leg rub after work and then off for a nice evening jog around town afterwards. Felt really good and legs were fresh so just relaxed and enjoyed it. Realised near the end I was picking it up way too much so pulled the pace right back, no point.

Tuesday 20/10 - 6 miles with 2 @ MP
    Down to the track for the last bit of hard running if you want to call it that, I'd prefer to call it easy running though, sounds way better in my head. So after a 2 mile warmup off we went. Well the 2 miles were as comfortable as I would have expected, pace was around 5:50 min/mile (86-88 sec laps) and while I didn't feel amazing, I didn't feel shíte either so that's good I think. I was glad to have Lizzie Lee fresh from her 2:32 in Berlin to pace me for these couple of miles. She took my mind off it by dishing out loads of advice and tips for the day but I can't remember any of them. I think she said eat a curry for breakfast and to go out like an absolute animal, like a wild animal that had been caged and tortured and then to just cling on for the remaining 24 miles, make sense to me. We were also graced with the presence of 2 Irish legends on the track tonight with Sonia O'Sullivan and Marcus O'Sullivan making an appearance which was pretty cool. I talked to Sonia afterwards and she said words back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Jumping the Gun had some very good tips for marathoners like yourself, here's just a taste. Remember these and 2.35 shall be yours:
    Fill up on the hotel breakfast

Yes, I know you’ve been shovelling carbs down your trap by the wheelbarrow for the past week, but damn it, you paid €140 for that hotel room the night before the marathon, so be sure to bleed them dry in return when it comes to breakfast. Sure, you could eat your usual meal, but then what? Reject the pancakes and maple syrup? Walk past strips of glistening bacon which scream your name? Pretend you’re too respectable to have a fourth pain au chocolat? You’re not. Now dig in, you pig. #carboloading
    Go out hard

It is a race, right? You’ll have been running lots of shorter distances in recent months, so it’s a great idea to bank some time early on when the race feels easy. Before the start, it’s also a good idea to jump forward from your designated pen so you don’t get stuck in a sea of waddlers at the start line. No one wants that. You’re better than them, and deserve to be treated differently. #you’reworthit
    Drink everything in sight

You can’t drink too much. Hyponatraemia? Schmyponatraemia. No one dies from that, right? Drink at every water station you see. Chug that **** down like you’re Bear Grylls and you’ve just discovered an oasis in the Sahara. Electrolyte drinks and gels might help, but they taste like ass, and in the middle of the marathon, no one wants to taste ass. #hydrate
    Wise, wise words.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Jumping the Gun had some very good tips for marathoners like yourself, here's just a taste. Remember these and 2.35 shall be yours:

Wise, wise words.

Patrick, I think you've just made my marathon. I can't lose if I follow those simple yet pragmatic steps above. I owe you a pint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Best of luck lad! You're in some shape, have a gud un!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Good luck in Frankfurt, very impressive training block. Cheer's for HR advice a while back.

Thanks Lads!

Saturday 24/10 - 25 mins @ 7:43 m/m
    Well here I am in my hotel room in Frankfurt and just after inhaling a large bowl of porridge after a lovely morning run with my clubmate. I enjoyed the jog this morning, felt nice and relaxed and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, conditions were perfect too just hoping for a repeat of that in the morning. I've been looking over my training recently and this is by far the best block of training I've put in so to me there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to run well tomorrow. Whatever happens I'm enjoying my running more than ever and I've had a really good year of improvements. I see this as just another stepping stone to greater things so in that sense I don't feel a huge amount of pressure, just want to go out and give it my best shot and whatever will be will be...que sera sera, something something :) Ok off to the expo!

Oh I bumped into Krusty of all people last night, he was falling around Chipotle with a beer in one hand, foaming at the mouth and demanding they give him more chicken*.

*events may have been dramatised for entertainment purposes. I just bumped into him and said hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Not must more to add to what you've said yourself, other than have fun and the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wishing you the very best of everything tomorrow, you've worked damn hard and deserve a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck Jebuz, hope you get the race you deserve.

Frankfurt Marathon Done! 2:36:57

Wow! On such a high right now, incredible feeling crossing that line in the Festhall. Running a 2:3x marathon has long been a dream of mine and it still feels a little unreal right now. Though slightly off my original target I am over the moon and have no complaints. I pretty much ran the whole thing with my clubmate and once we got over the slow start (started behind 3 hr group) we didn't panic and kept the splits nice and steady. Energy levels were good and grew stronger in the 2nd half coming home slightly quicker. Race report to come over the next few days but for now I'm going to lie down (maybe watch some BBC world news) and then drink a few beers with my clubmate and a clown.

1e247bc010f149f2bc1ce994a486bd80.png

33280c0b59b6f91c628aa3b5b2615265.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

Fantastic Conor, impressively steady splits, I'm chuffed for you. You're refreshingly pragmatic and relaxed approach to training and racing is something I want to emulate in my own training. Looking forward to tracking you're future progress. Enjoy those beers, you bloody well deserve them!

Brilliant stuff well deserved!

Alright log, I've had time to step back and absorb an unforgettable weekend in Frankfurt so it's time to empty out my experience of the day. I start writing this from the comfort of the Brehon hotel in Killarney where I sit with a pint of grog having just spent the last 2 hours lounging in the jacuzzi with a slightly creepy smile on my face. No wonder those ladies reported me.

Background / Preparation
    This was to be my 5th marathon with a previous best of 2:46:59 in Dublin last year. We all know what happened back in April of this year, the marathon that never happened so I was out to make amends for that disappointment. The goal back in April was a 2:40-45 and while that race actually never happened thanks to a certain pilonidal abscess, I still benefited from a good training block and the whole experience in general stood to me. I wasn't long signing up for another marathon so the goal when I entered Frankfurt was always a sub 2:40.

Ever since I ran my first marathon in Dublin 2012, the thoughts of a 2:3x had been firmly planted in my mind as I looked on in awe at some of the Donore lads who had on that day ran 2:36. At the time it was a distant if not unattainable dream to someday similarly be a 2:3x marathoner, I couldn't fathom the idea of running sub 6 minute miles for a marathon but I knew it would take time, patience and a lot of hard work. My training over this summer and autumn went really well, infact better than expected. I stayed on top of any minor injuries backing off when necessary, always listening to the body and both the milage and sessions were consistent.

I believe I trained smart and it's mainly down to my coach and moreso trusting what he says. I also fed off the incredible energy of the group in Leevale over the last few months, the buzz is almost tangible after hard sessions and long runs and it's such a pleasure training with these guys who have played a major role in my progress and just inspired me to think big. Given all those factors, I went into this race with a 'best possible outcome' being a 2:33/34 - something I genuinely wouldn't have considered realistic back in April but now possible if everything went absolutely perfect on the day. A secondary outcome was a 2:35-40 which was what my training was pointing at and one I would be more than pleased with. Failing all that, running under 2:46:59 would still be a PB is that's never a bad result so that left me with a lot of good potential outcomes. I really didn't even consider not running a new PB (barring events outside of my control) and I hope that's not being arrogant but I was just so confident in the training I had done. I really went into this one with a very positive attitude and it made a big difference.

10 weeks out I ran the Clonmel half in 78 minutes at planned marathon pace which felt really good so at that time 2:36 was in my head as a real possibility. I ran a 73:29 PB in the Charleville half 5 weeks out and got some great sessions with my marathon clubmates in the following weeks. The goal started dangerously creeping towards 2:32-34 after watching my training partners run around that time in Berlin and the coach suggested myself and John (club mate also running) should be in that ballpark. I think that was a massive boost for myself and John. It was a huge lift to hear he felt we were capable of hitting those heights. 3 weeks out I was forced to miss a week due to achilles flaring up but managed that well, never panicked and recovered to get a good 2 week taper keeping the intensity up but lowering the overall volume. Overall I felt better prepared than I ever have for a marathon. Since July I had been typically getting in a midweek long run (15 miles), a 30-35 min tempo, a Saturday grass session and a 20+ mile run averaging 80-90 miles a week and maxing out at 100 miles.

The week leading up to the race I was pretty relaxed, I slept really well and the legs were itching to get going. I got two rubs, one on the Monday and again on Thursday and I pretty much kept my diet business as usual. In my opinion there's really no need to change much during last few days before the race. I travelled from Kerry airport to Frankfurt on the Friday with John and his wife and we checked into our hotel right beside the start/finish line, ideal location. Saturday was very relaxed, got our number at the expo and chilled out with a few coffees, watched some TV and the day seemed to just fly by. We also had a kitchenette in our rooms so we were able to do a grocery shop and cook our own food which made a big difference especially on race morning making porridge.

Race Day
    It's race morning and to my surprise I ended up having a great nights sleep. The race was scheduled for 10am so I got up at 7am, whipped up a bowl porridge and horsed it down with a glass of water mixed with dioralyte before heading back to bed and trying to sleep more (the hour going back made sure we even got an extra hour in bed). Somehow that worked and I fell asleep waking again at 8:30am, back of the net. Myself and John headed off for a light 10 minute warmup at 9am and then got back to the hotel, time was flying. I put on all my gear, threw a gel and some jellies into my pocket, downed an espresso and off we walked to the line. We headed into the first coral (sub 3:15) at about 9:45am thinking we were in plenty of time but we were a little concerned when we saw a 2:59 pacer balloon ahead of us, we were too far back. There was no room to move, jam packed so we agreed we wouldn't stress ourselves trying to squeeze our way up further and just accepted it and a slow start is not the end of the world. I ate a banana and pondered.

It felt like a long 15 minutes but suddenly there were just 2 minutes to go. I took off my finishers top from my first marathon in 2012 (some sort of metaphor?) and flung it over the fence. Side by side with my buddy John we were ready to do battle with 26.2 miles. The klaxon went but we had a long way to walk/run/shuffle until we hit the start line and then with a beep on the garmin, the race has officially started.

Miles 1-5
    Well to say there was congestion is an understatement. We expected it but not to the degree we experienced and it just seemed to be endless over the first 10-15 minutes. I don't want to complain too much about it because this was a positive day but I still don't know what some runners were doing up there. Ok fair enough the sub 3 runners but a lot of them were running nothing close to sub 3 pace and it really put a dent in our start though we have absolutely to take responsibility for not being in the coral earlier.

We managed it fairly well I think, sometimes John would take the lead and start pouncing through gaps and I'd follow, or I'd just point a finger if I saw a gap and we'd leg it. It was important not to sit too much but to keep moving up through the field and we did well to pull off a 6:09 first mile, it really didn't feel like it. That sort of start can be slightly draining as you expel a lot of energy finding gaps and throwing in surges here and there but it was by no means a disaster. We started gradually getting into a rhythm eventually and the field settled out and we were both running comfortably. We hit the first 5k in 18:56 but would have been shooting for typically 18:20-18:30 5k splits. We were both wearing pace bands marked in km's, John's was for 2:33 and me 2:34 (our more optimistic targets) and while they were useful enough for a while we just stopped paying attention to them eventually. Next time I'd use a less than optimistic pace band because once we ended up being a few minutes outside of the targets we stopped checking it.

Overall the first 5 miles were satisfactory. Effort wise I felt good and while I was sweating a bit too much I think it was just due to the constant weaving and by mile 4 or 5 I was really settling down. We spotted Krusty and his club mate early on, maybe mile 3 or so and that was also the last time I saw him as he kicked on after the slow start, his result was never in doubt in my mind. We got a great shout also from Johns wife around 7km and she was holding up a sign "The Enniscorthy Engine" made me chuckle. Small things like that really help. I took my first sip of water at the 5k station and kept that trend going until the end, not much each time mind you just a mouthful if anything.

1 6:09
    2 5:54
    3 5:51
    4 5:57
    5 6:10

Miles 5-10
    These miles were fairly uneventful as we settled into the pace. I expected a group to start forming around now but we were moving through the field passing people, it was a little strange passing people so early on and some were already bizarrely struggling. We hit the 10km in 37:37 and while that was a quicker 5km (18:41) we were still off target but I wasn't too worried, we were moving comfortably and that was the most important thing. I also took a couple of jelly beans here and almost choked myself by not chewing them properly, a piece came out of my nose eventually.

We had instructions from our coach to work together and not to go quicker than 5:50 pace and we ended up adhering to that quite well. Because both of us were aware of that we tended to call each other out if we noticed things were picking up too much as sometimes you tend to lose focus and find yourself getting carried away. Steady was the word of the day and steady we kept it. We caught up with a Kerry chap from An Riocht and he started working in with us which was great, the more the merrier.

We were well settled into the race now and the next 5k split was 18:32. I tried to take my usual dioralyte sachet at 15k but having torn it open in anticipation, by the time I got to the water station and went to swallow it, it was empty. I had spilled the contents - doh! That's not the first time that's happened, I've essentially ingested my dioralyte successfully in 2 of 4 marathons, must look into salt tabs. This wasn't going to be a huge problem as heat and humidity weren't a major factory so I didn't worry about it. At around 8 miles I finally thought we had a group as a few runners seemed to latch on but just after 10 miles it was just myself and John again.

So on we trucked. We hit 10 miles just on the hour mark and that was just fine. Slight doubts crept in here, I'm not sure if it was the fact I had 16 miles left ahead of me including another 10 miler in 60 mins and then 6 miles on top of that or maybe it was that I didn't really know how I was feeling, was I tired or was I feeling great?…I really couldn't tell, it was strange…but only for a while. I snapped out of it eventually and regained focus.

6 5:57
    7 5:59
    8 5:54
    9 6:04
    10 6:00

Miles 10-15
    From 10-13 it was just a case of ticking off the miles until halfway. Breaking the race down into minor goals is a helpful strategy to keep my mind focussed. I was comfortable enough here, John was leading the way and another guy had worked in with us and probably the longest we'd spent with somebody as he stuck around for about 5 or 6 miles I reckon until falling off. So halfway came and I really didn't know what we were heading for, the loose plan was a 77:xx at halfway but we hit in 78:51. Sure it was a little slower than planned but we knew we had negotiated a congested start and had ran that first half quite sensibly.

We didn't even say anything just kept moving and I think we were both quietly confident that we had a strong second half in us. We were continuously picking off runners ahead and had yet to be passed. We got working with another group around now including an African elite lady with some pacers and I also distinctly remember a green Perth runners singlet. These guys stuck with us for a good few miles and it was good to have the company and we were moving fluidly. We hit the 15 mile mark just before crossing over a bridge and I was really feeling good now and no better timing than the nowhere zone of the marathon. That 7 miles between 13-20 is always a strange patch where you must keep focussed, questions get asked here and you can suddenly find yourself struggling. 18:35 and 18:30 for the next two 5k splits, this was very steady going looking back.

11 5:56
    12 5:54
    13 5:57
    14 5:53
    15 6:01

Miles 16-20
    I was in a relatively good place over these miles thankfully and was just focussed on getting to 20, then I'd assess the plan for the last 10k. We worked well here, kept the place steady and I was breathing well. I know from experience how unforgiving this distance can be so I was by no means going to get complacent. The course route was in general unmemorable which is good in a way as it shows I was keeping focussed and the mile splits agin here reflect that. The odd exchange of words with John every now and just assured ourselves that we were comfortable and relaxed. We were still picking off a lot of runners and some were really struggling with heavy breathing, the couple of runners we worked in with earlier were still with us. I was keeping an eye on my HR throughout the day and while my primary feedback was my own internal one, this acted as a secondary and never really deviated from 160 bpm over the first 20 miles, this was spot on in my eyes as I knew I could maintain that HR from previous marathons.

It occurred to me at around 16 miles that I hadn't taken on much sustenance today bar a few jellies (but took water at every stop). While I'm used to and have specifically trained on empty, I still thought it better I pre-empt and get something into me for the last 6 miles as I was moving into unchartered territory. I was noticing signs of a slight stitch coming so I took just half a caffeine gel with some water and it sat well with me as expected (had tried it out on one long run).

I think it was the 17th miles as we moved through a small town, I was feeling really good and I saw a young boy of about 12 on the side of the road with his hand stretched out and eyes beaming. I moved over to the side and gave him the biggest hi-5 I could muster and most likely broke his hand. That brought a huge smile to my face, not breaking his hand but just getting involved with the crowd and taking a moment to enjoy the atmosphere, I look back on that moment really fondly. I hope he's ok though.

The 30k (around 18 miles) split was 18:29, our fastest yet and we were gradually pulling away from the group and on our own again. John indicated he was struggling slightly around 19 miles so I took up the pacing and just kept it nice and steady hovering around 6 min/mile, I knew it was just a minor bad patch for John and I was right thankfully. Suddenly we're almost at 20 and we got a great shout again from Johns wife (with some new signage) at and that was another boost, they all add up on the day. So that was it, we turned to each other as if to say ok that's 20 miles but let's just not make a big deal of it. Things were looking really good though, I looked at the watch as we hit 20 and it had just ticked onto 1:59. I said to myself if I just keep steady 6 minute pace over the next 6 miles, I could be walking away with a 2:36 marathon to my name, it felt so close now so there was no way I was letting this slip away.

16 5:52
    17 5:57
    18 5:53
    19 5:59
    20 6:00

Miles 21-23
    There was no denying I was feeling tired by now and I was fully expecting it but I was feeling as good as I could be in that situation. I broke the next section into 3 x 2 milers and suddenly 22 had past and each mile I ticked off I felt I could almost touch the finishing line. John was looking really strong as he moved in front and I stuck to his back as best I could. We were back into the city now and the crowds were lining the streets, this support was a huge help in bringing us home. 4 miles left and I was perfectly happy to bring it home at this pace, I really didn't feel I could have picked up the pace and sustained it.

Onto the 23rd mile and I looked across the road to see the faster runners on their last mile heading for the finish. I was starting to tire more and more now (and my HR was drifting but no surprise there) and all I was thinking was those lucky bastards are almost finished but you know what, that's gonna be me in a couple of miles so just drive on and keep going. So I did. Splits were good here and I was keeping an eye on them. It felt like I was really slowing as fatigue was gradually engulfing my legs but seeing the mile splits really kept me positive and assured me I was capable of maintaining this pace until the finish.

21 5:59
    22 5:53
    23 5:50

Miles 24-Finish
    I was still behind John now but he was opening up a gap on me that I wasn't willing or able to chase. My primary focus over the last 3 miles was not about making up places, but rather getting home at this pace and getting me a 2:36, also I just knew there wasn't a big kick in me at the time. The HR was still drifting and close to 170 now but I didn't need that to tell me I was hurting. I was still moving at the same pace and this is when all the training is tested to the max. Breathing was starting to get laboured but I was still keeping steady, form was sloppy and I finding it hard to remained focus but the miles just seemed to tick themselves off. It was just a case of sheer stubbornness and persistence over these last few miles.

I really don't remember much of these miles in terms of geography but what I do remember is keeping the black and yellow Leevale top in my eye line and putting one leg in front of the other. I was still passing people and I really don't recall anyone passing me for the entire race (ok except for John) and some of you might know that feeling of constantly picking people off in a race, it's a huge motivator and an assurance that you've paced this particular race sensibly (well either that or you've sandbagged the arse out of it but I vehemently deny that charge).

It was around the 25th mile I felt a slight but definite dart in my left hamstring…whoah…cramps? really? no…please...not now. I sort of shortened my stride briefly almost anticipating a full seizure if I opened up the legs. Thankfully it didn't materialise into full blown cramp and I gradually relaxed again but a stark warning that I've still over a mile left and anything can happen. All I wanted was to get this crocked body home in one piece but not just that, I wanted to be able to call myself a 2:3x marathoner, it was so close now. I distinctly remember looking at some of the crowd cheering and I was able to muster a thumbs up and smile but I also remember breathing like I was on the finish straight of a 5k race, wide eyed like a rabbit in the headlights.

We were on the home stretch now, the crowd are in full voice and I've just clocked a 5:51 for the 26th mile though it feels nowhere near that pace. This is actually happening, I'm almost home. I saw John ahead of me turn to the left and I knew he was almost home and dry, now it's my turn. My inbuilt regulator eased off the reigns and let me pick it up for the big finish as rounded the corner into the Festhalle. The place can only have been described as electric with its 40 meter high dome, music pumping, strobe lights flashing and the crowd so pumped up. As I crossed the 200m to go mark, I think my watch read around 2:36:15 so I said to myself 2:36 might just be happening today. I gave it my best shot anyway as I stretched out the legs. I moved down that finish straight as if I had been gifted new set of legs, I almost felt possessed. I cannot describe that feeling. Even now I had to pause and smile as I type it as I really can't find the words. I looked up and I saw the clock read 2:37:xx (remember we didn't hit the actual start line for a good minute or so) but even so all I saw was a guaranteed sub 2:3x marathon, the minute didn't matter.

Some might say ok big deal it's just an arbitrary time but to me it was the realisation of a vision 3 years ago to become something that felt so much bigger than me at the time. A small celebration and I crossed the line to embrace my friend and trainer partner John who played a big part in this journey and it was such a pleasure to run with him that day, we shared an amazing and unforgettable experience. What a marathon debut for him clocking a 2:36:35. A brief manly embrace ensued before bending to our knees to try allow that oxygen debt repay some of its hefty loan. It took me a few seconds to check my time, my watch read 2:36:59 but I wasn't sure if I was under or not, I didn't really care too much, I was elated. Later I'd find out the official time was 2:36:57 and a PB by 10 minutes and 2 seconds. Second half in 1:18:07 and a negative split by 44 seconds. Result.
    f08b103653f09e4772b18bec9a1f63d6.png

24 5:57
    25 6:07
    26 5:51
    0.3 (2:06 / 5:44 m/m)

Summary: 26.2 miles in 2:36:57 (5:57 m/m)

The Aftermath
    We moved on out of the Festhalle and bumped into Krusty and his club mate Neal (2:33 and 2:30 respectively) and it didn't surprise me in the least hearing Krusty's time and PB by 2 minutes. He's long been one of the guys around here I look up to and it was so nice to share this moment with him. We congratulated each other and moved outside to absorb the race and get some energy back into us. After a while I headed back to the hotel and was still in a bit of a dreamland for a while, I didn't quite yet believe I had done it. It was only when I logged onto the results site and saw my 2:36:57 there in black and white and I smiled. No matter what happens now, that was a time nobody could can take away from me. I rested for a while, ate a bowl of cereal and cleaned up before heading off for a few well earned brews in the Irish pub with John and his wife. We met Krusty, ger664, Emer, Neal and not his brother James (a great bunch for the record) so we all headed off for a really enjoyable slap-up meal and some more beers and apple strudel. That evening really topped off what is no doubt one of the best days of my life and a memory I'll cherish forever.

Thoughts
    That was the most uneventful marathon I've ever ran, and that was exactly what I wanted. Though the conditions were perfect for us, I also really think I got a lot of things right on the day. Nutrition was fine no real problems there, the porridge & banana pre race followed by few jellies during the race and half a gel at 17 worked fine for me. Also water every station that's a formality for me now. Pace-wise I couldn't be happier, I worked really hard for the last 2 miles yet kept the splits steady, I don't think there was much more left in the tank at the end so I think it was judged quite well and I was able to work off feel for the majority of the race. My mindset going into the race likely played a huge role. I was confident and had a lot of trust in the training, had gotten good rest all week and nerves really weren't a huge factor - a positive mind can be a powerful ally on the day (as can a solid and trusted training partner)

Where do we go from here? Most likely Berlin next year but that will all come in good time. I really feel I needed a marathon like this where I was able to keep it steady the whole way through, I had previously only done this once before in my 2nd marathon in Barcelona running a 2:54. This says to me that it wasn't a once off and I'm capable of executing a well paced marathon so I have a strong belief I'm capable of going quicker yet again. But there's no need to think about that right now, I need to take time to recover and enjoy this achievement and soon I'll be back thinking about the next challenge.

And finally, one more photo. I love this one captured by Johns wife, striding down the finish straight, what a feeling.
    2fc2cba4e76ffb3af561de2b262e0c8f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

unreal C, and well deserved. Now that you have reached that goal, can we tempt you over to the dark side?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

That's an epic report to match an equally epic performance.
    Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow, what a report! Loved reading that and so many lines in there are going into my internal "quote data base". You totally deserve this, congratulations and I know we should allow you to sit in this moment but I am really looking forward to reading about your sub 2:30 marathon now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations! Fantastic report. You have a great way with words.
    Looking forward to following the next chapter in your running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Running a 2:3x marathon and still having enough time for high-fiving the spectators? Fantastic stuff!

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Great stuff man and a cracking report to boot, good to see all the effort you've put in pay off. You've a great attitude and work ethic and definetly more to come no doubt, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to be a partial spectator in such a massive feat and delighted to read that you got such a great buzz from the race. My own race experience very much mirrors what you've written here, albeit with a slightly less triumphant conclusion. I'm predicting a confident 2:2x for your next spin of the wheel. Two small points though: James isn't Neal's brother, and you've only got until Sunday to sign up for Berlin. :) Thankfully, there's a cosy starting corral at the front of the Berlin field for sub 2:45 runners, so we'll have no excuses next time. Congrats again, to both you and John (and Lorraine for being the #1 fan on the day). Enjoy the warm glow for a while. 2:3x is great.... but 2:2x is better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats Jebuz - really enjoyed reading that report, well done on a fantastic performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Congrats Jebuz, sounds like you executed the race perfectly and to hit the 2.36 must be particularly sweet. I'll overlook the fact that you allowed your clubmate to slip away from you but you'll have to overturn that next time ;)

viperlogic wrote: »
    unreal C, and well deserved. Now that you have reached that goal, can we tempt you over to the dark side?!

Nice try but not a chance Keith ;) that was merely a stepping stone. Bikes and water can feck right off
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    That's an epic report to match an equally epic performance.
    Well done again.

Thanks P, now you've gotten NY out of your system I'm sure we'll see you back PBing like a madman
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Wow, what a report! Loved reading that and so many lines in there are going into my internal "quote data base". You totally deserve this, congratulations and I know we should allow you to sit in this moment but I am really looking forward to reading about your sub 2:30 marathon now :)

Thanks a lot DG. I charge by the quote but I can do you a deal, PM ;)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Congratulations! Fantastic report. You have a great way with words.
    Looking forward to following the next chapter in your running!

Thanks Ososlo, I'm looking forward to the next chapter too, the current chapter titled "no running and getting fat" is getting a bit boring.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Running a 2:3x marathon and still having enough time for high-fiving the spectators? Fantastic stuff!

Thanks tg, that hi-five probably cost me 0.8 seconds but it was worth it
    dintbo wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff :)
    Great stuff man and a cracking report to boot, good to see all the effort you've put in pay off. You've a great attitude and work ethic and definetly more to come no doubt, enjoy.

Cheers NE, hopefully a lot more to come
    Great to be a partial spectator in such a massive feat and delighted to read that you got such a great buzz from the race. My own race experience very much mirrors what you've written here, albeit with a slightly less triumphant conclusion. I'm predicting a confident 2:2x for your next spin of the wheel. Two small points though: James isn't Neal's brother, and you've only got until Sunday to sign up for Berlin. :) Thankfully, there's a cosy starting corral at the front of the Berlin field for sub 2:45 runners, so we'll have no excuses next time. Congrats again, to both you and John (and Lorraine for being the #1 fan on the day). Enjoy the warm glow for a while. 2:3x is great.... but 2:2x is better. ;)

Thanks Gary, and congrats on a great run yourself too though I know you're only 67% pleased with it. Like many others around here I genuinely believe you're capable of a sub 2:30. If you continue to train consistently like you do it's just a matter of which cycle it happen in, I don't believe age will be a deterrent.

On your 2 points, I don't know how I thought James was Neals brother (fixed) and also Berlin is signed up for :)
    Duanington wrote: »
    Congrats Jebuz - really enjoyed reading that report, well done on a fantastic performance

Thanks Duanington
    Congrats Jebuz, sounds like you executed the race perfectly and to hit the 2.36 must be particularly sweet. I'll overlook the fact that you allowed your clubmate to slip away from you but you'll have to overturn that next time ;)

Thanks KU and thanks for overlooking that fact, we're both in for Berlin next year so I am already envisioning leaving him for dead 200m from the line :D

I think it's time to resuscitate this ailing log. It was good to take a break I suppose but It's calling me back to satisfy my diminishing sense of accountability.

2015 was a good year, despite the fact I didn't hit any of my goals. I set them high but I'd rather narrowly miss an exceedingly ambitious goal than hit a mediocre one. Goals aren't meant to be easy. In summary, 3,292 miles, 12 races and 1 pilonidal abscess. In hindsight that's not enough races (compared to 17 in 2014) so that's something to improve on this year.

Personally I think my best 3 results were the Frankfurt Marathon (2:36:57), The Charleville half (1:13:29) and a 5k race I won a couple of days before Charleville (16:12). All were achieved in the space of 2 months so I think I peaked right and it was particularly sweet crossing the line in Frankfurt having missed out on Rotterdam earlier in the year. I didn't see the same rate of drastic improvement as 2014 but that wasn't surprising. The gains are quickly becoming marginal and I'm ok with that, it just means I have to work even harder :)

My big goals for this year:
    3k: 8:xx
    5k: 15:30
    10k: 32:30
    5 mile: 26:00
    10 mile: 53:30
    1/2: 1:11:30
    Marathon: 2:30:00

You might say why set potentially unattainable goals but I find they keeps me honest and working hard and I genuinely don't rule out hitting or coming very close to any of the above. Who know's what's in store.

One of the big monkeys I want to get off my back is the sub 16 5k and I think right now I'm in that sort of shape. While I've no 5k's coming up in the near future, I've my eye on one in late February which gives me plenty of time to make sure of it.

What's happened since Frankfurt?
    Well I took a 2 week break of little or no running and plenty of eating and drinking. Throughout November I gradually built back up the milage and jumped into a few sessions but taking them easier than usual. I really enjoyed not having a sense of (running) purpose for those few weeks. For me it's important to take that time and just relax and enjoy the running with no pressure and soak in the achievement of the marathon. Maintaining that intensity throughout the year just can't be sustained so when I did hit the sessions agin I felt fully refreshed and the motivation came back naturally. I also started back with my strength work in early November as I did last winter and am getting in 2-3 gym sessions a week now, typically 20 mins core, 20 mins resistance work.

I ran the National novice XC in Dungarvan in early December and it was a bit of a shock to the system (came 80th) but I had no great expectations going into it and saw it as a good hard blowout and a reintroduction to the hard work to come. What followed was a very good block of training into December, 70-80 miles a week (typically track Tuesday (1km's, 800's), hills & tempo Thursday, road intervals Saturday, 15 miles long Sunday) so a particular focus on the shorter and speedier stuff. Somehow with all the Christmas drinking and eating I managed to get all the training done and I finished the year feeling I was in pretty good shape. Keeping good to my commitment to run more races, I set out to a violently wet and windy Bandon on new years day for a 5 mile road race. Despite the tough conditions I ran pretty well and finished strong to come home 6th with a PB of 26:58 so that was a good start to the year.

I think this concentration on the short races will remain the focus for the first half of 2016 as I target 3k up to 10k races before transitioning into the longer work for the Berlin marathon where the goal will be a sub 2:30. I'm really enjoying the shorter training so far and seeing some good improvements though it's still very early days.

I've a busy race schedule over the next few weeks including Munster indoors 3k, National intermediate XC, Dungarvan 10 mile, AAI games 3k (maybe) and the Enniscorthy 10k.

Over the last few months I've been getting out pretty much every morning before work for 5 miles and that's been working well for me. I worked it up to 5 days a week gradually and kept an eye to make sure it wasn't impacting the days where I run sessions in the evenings. While I would have previously ran early only on Mon/Wed/Fri, getting up every day and just doing it is quickly becoming routine and I feel much more alert when I get into work. I particularly like how I leave the house when it's completely pitch black and then I come back only 40 mins later and it's a different world. The morning light is swallowing up the night, the traffic is building up, the birds are singing and the world is basically just waking up. There's definitely a hint of smugness in there too. The pace is irrelevant its just a very easy run (usually 7:30-8 min/mile) and while these runs are not essential, I think they will absolutely benefit my performance over time so I intend to keep it up.

I have done a bit of research on sleep over the last few weeks and I've finally realised just how crucial it is not just to athletic performance but everything - bodyweight, mood, your gut health, cognitive function etc. There's not one component of our own ecosystems that isn't impacted by bad sleep. If anyone's interested, there's a great podcast on the topic by Danny Lennon here and it was a real eye opener for me. Instead of drastic changes, I've changed a few small things over time. I realised that even though I probably was getting enough sleep, it's the quality of my sleep that is much more important. To give an idea, I've stopped drinking coffee so close to bed time, developed a wind down routine, started walking to work so I not only get a 30 min walk in, I also get more exposure to natural night which encourages a healthy circadian rhythm. I'll aim to be in bed at a certain time now and instead of using the laptop I read a book. These are subtle changes and it's hard to quantify the benefits but overall I feel it's having a positive impact on my overall wellbeing and subsequently my performance. I'm running well, more alert, mood is positive, productive in work, maintaining a healthy weight and more importantly sustaining these new habits.

On diet, I've taken a slightly new approach to what I had done previous to Frankfurt. With the focus on shorter distances these days I felt I needed to rely a little more on carbohydrate to fuel me for these intense sessions. While I think there's merit in the high fat approach and it definitely has been applied successfully to cycling and ultra running, I just couldn't shake the fact that very few if none of the top distance runners subscribe to this approach. And I just love porridge. While I was never fully low carb/high fat, I would have previously eaten quite a high fat breakfast/lunch and then eaten carbs after a session. While I performed quite well on that, I believe I'm now working better now having substituted my morning omelette for a hearty bowl of porridge and a shake (usually spinach,beetroot,ginger,lemon,apple). Lunch is still typically a chicken salad and soup. I've basically a very balanced approach now, it's neither side of the spectrum and not near as rigid as it was once. I also now eat porridge before my Saturday session rather than going on empty and I seem to have that extra kick for the sessions that I didn't have before. The only time I do run empty is the long run on Sunday. All this is working well for me and as I said above I'm maintaining a pretty constant weight. In a way I'm glad to have experimented with different approaches as this is the only way you'll find out what works for you. N=1.

Whoa that comeback post got out of hand. I apologise :o

I'll put up some training now...or later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Missed that 5 mile result man congrats on the PB. Looks like you are picking up where you left off in terms.

It's funny you mention the Carb approach with the shorter distances I actually was reading a paper a couple of weeks back with some strong evidence to support it as a more effective fuel for up to Half marathon (despite fat yielding higher energy return per gram the carb was more easily accessible in terms of lower energy expenditure to utilize as a fuel source) can't remember exactly which paper it was but interesting none the less and supports your instinct.

The sleep aspect is also a really fascinating one. Something I need to look at myself as I have looked into trying to have a 10 min unwind slot in evenings before bed in order to establish better rest and switch off as I know myself this is my biggest downfall.

Interested to see how you go this year.

Catchup on last couple of weeks training...

January 4-10th

Monday: 5 miles am & 6.5 miles pm
    Tuesday: 5 miles am & 9.5 miles track session pm. 2 x 1km, 3 x 800m (400m recovery). 3:05, 3:05, 2:27, 2:29, 2:27
    Wednesday: 5 miles am & 6 miles pm
    Thursday: 5 miles am & 8 miles pm (incl.20 mins hills)
    Friday: 5 miles am
    Saturday: Banna weekend: 5 miles am & 12 miles grass/dunes session pm (10,8 mins on grass, 10 mins dunes (brutal), 10 mins grass -2 min recovery)
    Sunday: 15 miles long
    Total miles: 87

This Week
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 5 miles am & 9 miles track session pm. 6 x 600m (2 min recovery). 1:44, 1:44, 1:44, 1:45, 1:45, 1:43
    Wednesday: 5 miles am & 5 miles pm
    Thursday: 4 miles am & 6 miles track session pm. 6 x 300m (100m recovery). 51, 50, 50, 50, 50, 51
    Friday: 5 miles am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome back C.

Sleep thing is interesting as I struggle with sleep and have been particularly bad the last couple of months. On the push from someone in work, I've dug out my sleep app on my phone again the last couple of nights - pretty shocking seeing a graph of how many times I wake up overnight! Reading a book doesn't work for me though as I a) can't put it down and b) once I do, I'm just thinking of where the story might go :p

Have you picked target races?

Advertisement