Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouya console - ~ €95 on Amazon.com (inc P&P and Import)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

poldebruin wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on this app - Mobdro, I sideloaded it onto the OUYA at it works a treat! Thanks

Ah good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

groom wrote: »
    4od app or xbmc addon?
    The app is telling me it can't find a connection ( same issue with iPlayer) and I thought the mossy xbmc plugin was broken

The XBMC addon. Was working perfectly until I posted in this thread! Typical! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

The XBMC addon. Was working perfectly until I posted in this thread! Typical! :o

Still working for me. Such a good app, I couldn't bare to watch anything on the site. I know that they have to but the amount of ads and frequency of them is unbearable.

Pity aertv started charging as well but tbh I don't miss rte anyway.

If you love 4od you'll probably love F.T.V from kinkin. It's similar to the filmon addon but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

AntiRip wrote: »
    Still working for me. Such a good app.

Just had a go installing it on my phone. Can browse the content but couldn't launch anything

Edit. Just tried on the Ouya and it runs beautifully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

What do you reckon the power consumption would be compared to the ATV2.

Standby looks ok.

soooo tempted, have the flirc in my cart too.

That ATV2 remote is just to small keep losing the feicin thing.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    What do you reckon the power consumption would be compared to the ATV2.

Standby looks ok.

soooo tempted, have the flirc in my cart too.

That ATV2 remote is just to small keep losing the feicin thing.

I found on the wiki that gameplay is 4.5 watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

That's twice the ATV2 I think using xbmc. I can't find anything for xbmc on Ouya but found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1dza5l/this_is_why_xbmc_on_ouya_is_probably_not_going_to/

It's says the Ouya draws very high CPU and high GPU usage, hence the high temperatures, fan activity, and high power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I found on the wiki that gameplay is 4.5 watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

That's twice the ATV2 I think using xbmc. I can't find anything for xbmc on Ouya but found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1dza5l/this_is_why_xbmc_on_ouya_is_probably_not_going_to/

It's says the Ouya draws very high CPU and high GPU usage, hence the high temperatures, fan activity, and high power consumption.

The Ouya can be turned off though, boot time from cold to XBMC would be less than a minute for sure.

Unless XBMC has drastically improved on the ATV2 in the last 12 months the Ouya is a far superior XBMC box in terms of playback (it does 1080p) and snap-iness. Power consumption wise I am unable to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

The Ouya can be turned off though, boot time from cold to XBMC would be less than a minute for sure.

Unless XBMC has drastically improved on the ATV2 in the last 12 months the Ouya is a far superior XBMC box in terms of playback (it does 1080p) and snap-iness. Power consumption wise I am unable to comment.

+1

XBMC on ouya is probably the most refined version I have seen in terms of bang for buck performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

stooge wrote: »
    +1

XBMC on ouya is probably the most refined version I have seen in terms of bang for buck performance.

I was actually going to ask that :pac:

Its a better option than a R.Pi yeah?

Purchase made, bought the fan and flirc too.

One question on the flirc, just to get my head around it, how do you get the sky remote to control the ouya and not the sky box? There's no alternate channel on it apart from TV?

• Advertisement

One question on the flirc, just to get my head around it, how do you get the sky remote to control the ouya and not the sky box?

Unplug the Sky box :)

It just controls both if both are turned on. I do currently see my Sky box turning on when I hit certain keys. I've also got the volume keys controlling both the Ouya and TV volume which isn't great because it goes from loud to quiet exponentially.

The NowTV remote works as well btw if you have one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I was actually going to ask that :pac:

Only briefly had a play around with a RPi. while its good in terms of price and flexibility, I thought the general XBMC performance and 1080 playback was better on the ouya. I'm sure there are some performance stats out there to either prove or disprove my experience though!

batistuta9 wrote: »

I've tried 2 RPis in my time and although they are great and cheap, they just bugged me over time due to the sluggishness. The last one I had I even overclocked it and ran from USB stick and I actually thought it was worse.

You can go through the menus with the iOS/Android apps though which were fantastic and the RPi played every single file I had. Brilliant cheap device but the Ouya is just solid, fast (menus) and sane-free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

You can also control XBMC through apps on your phone or tablet

I messed around with it last night and have both the XBMC app and Yatse running on my phone

Works really well too as a remote and for viewing your content and playing it

I've used the iOS remote before and it was ok but it's annoying enough to have to unlock your phone go into an app and press pause just to pause tv.

Hi Lads,

Any thread about peoples set ups of these?

Going to try and do a bit of prep work before it arrives.

// Gary

Hi Lads,

Any thread about peoples set ups of these?

Going to try and do a bit of prep work before it arrives.

// Gary

TotalXBMC.tv and XBMConnect and two good channels on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Lurking here for a while myself, looking for an excuse to buy the Ouya!

Have read this guide, has some useful tips on setting up the Ouya:
    http://mymediaexperience.com/xbmc-on-android-based-ouya/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That's a big deal breaker for me
    Please note that Ouya had to remove AC3 and DTS audio decoding from the XBMC on Ouya app due to licencing issues, so we will need to wait for the licensing issues to be resolved before the multichannel audio will work again.

Resolves links to premium links (faster streaming, no capthas). RD is only e16 for 6 months I think for over 80 hosters.

Thanks for letting us know about the 4od app. Didn't realise it has been fixed

Cool, is it an XBMC add on or app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

AstraMonti wrote: »

That only applies to the version of XBMC available through the Ouya store

The more recent version of XBMC don't have this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ah yeah, just read that the new alpha version supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

Is the new amazon TV box not a better option to Ouya now that it can run xbmc and has better hardware and a remote too?

Cool, is it an XBMC add on or app?

No not an app. If you have a RD account, you just go into the settings of one of the add-ons (1ch) and add your RD username and password into the resolver settings. This will then do for all your addons including istream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Anyone know any good apps for watching tv? Live, sports etc?

SPMC is the Xbmc for Ouya build with those licensing restrictions removed

glued wrote: »
    Anyone know any good apps for watching tv? Live, sports etc?

Filmon is good for live tv and legal. Others aren't so and cannot be discussed fully here. Xbmchub is awash with information.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

got mine today, stuck Gotham on it - running sweet so far on the wireless but will stick an ethernet cable to it eventually. Still playing around with the XMBC settings and add ons. Aeon Nox skin is saying its not compatible though, I see online a lot of folk have that installed and running well...more tinkering for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The latest version on the store has DTS pass through so this should not be an issue anymore.

But as has been mentioned you can just grab the version direct of XBMC and everything is hunky dory

• Advertisement

No not an app. If you have a RD account, you just go into the settings of one of the add-ons (1ch) and add your RD username and password into the resolver settings. This will then do for all your addons including istream.

Cool, only the paid account is worth having by the looks of things.

Does this mean then that I wouldn't have to pick from a list of 20 streams? Just pick an episode and this does the rest?

Cheers

Advertisement