Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Man Syndrome.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

It's not exactly unique to short people but I have noticed that men below say 5'5 or that are far more aggressive and act like they've got something to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

How short defines a short person?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/relationships/size-really-does-matter-when-it-comes-to-mens-height-261075.html

It can be difficult to persuade women to date men who are the same size as them — but convincing girls to consider guys who are physically shorter than them is virtually impossible, says dating coach and editor of the book Guide to Dating Anne Marie Cussen.

“I’ve managed to convince a small woman to date a man who was shorter than average but slightly taller than her,” she says.

She has also persuaded some women to go on a date with men who are the same height as them, she says — but this is the limit.

“I’ve never managed to convince a woman to date a man shorter than her. On occasion, I’ve tried when I felt it was a very good match— but I came up against a blank wall. I find that even really petite women — 5ft or 5ft 2in — will ask for a 6ft male.

“They can be quite resistant to men who are under 5ft 10in and they’re very resistant to men who are 5ft 6in or 5ft 7in — they want the man to be taller even when they’re wearing heels.”

Research from the online dating website AYI.com underlines this.

Male stature really does seem to matter for women — more than 80,000 interactions between users of the British website found that every inch increase in a man’s height directly correlated to his likelihood of being contacted by a woman.

The study showed that taller men were significantly more likely to be contacted by women, and that for most women the ideal male is 6ft. Not surprisingly, 6ft men who were members of the site were 33% more likely to be contacted than a man of average height (5ft 7in), and 77% more likely to be contacted than a man under 5ft 4in".

Poor man. With that size and name, I'd say he must be called Dinky. I'd say it grates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/relationships/size-really-does-matter-when-it-comes-to-mens-height-261075.html

It can be difficult to persuade women to date men who are the same size as them — but convincing girls to consider guys who are physically shorter than them is virtually impossible, says dating coach and editor of the book Guide to Dating Anne Marie Cussen.

“I’ve managed to convince a small woman to date a man who was shorter than average but slightly taller than her,” she says.

She has also persuaded some women to go on a date with men who are the same height as them, she says — but this is the limit.

“I’ve never managed to convince a woman to date a man shorter than her. On occasion, I’ve tried when I felt it was a very good match— but I came up against a blank wall. I find that even really petite women — 5ft or 5ft 2in — will ask for a 6ft male.

“They can be quite resistant to men who are under 5ft 10in and they’re very resistant to men who are 5ft 6in or 5ft 7in — they want the man to be taller even when they’re wearing heels.”

Research from the online dating website AYI.com underlines this.

Male stature really does seem to matter for women — more than 80,000 interactions between users of the British website found that every inch increase in a man’s height directly correlated to his likelihood of being contacted by a woman.

The study showed that taller men were significantly more likely to be contacted by women, and that for most women the ideal male is 6ft. Not surprisingly, 6ft men who were members of the site were 33% more likely to be contacted than a man of average height (5ft 7in), and 77% more likely to be contacted than a man under 5ft 4in".

Hmm, so I'm not so much bucking the trend as riding it into the sunset on a stepladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In my experience short men are generally angry little parasites. I briefly dated a short guy when I was about 18, he had such a small penis that I actually thought he was deformed. Dumped him shortly after that, yes I am that shallow, but he was a complete twat. Genuinely pitied the guy, just not enough to shag him.

He has a couple of kids now, I'm surprised he managed it tbh.

I'd say he still gives daily effusive praise that he dodged a bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The perception that there is a 'Small Man Syndrome' is little but Attribution and Confirmation Bias.

The women of AH are shorter than the image I'd constructed of them. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I knew a guy once from the north. I never slagged him for his height but every time he got drunk he started on me as I was the tallest of the group. Should of kicked his little arse up and down the street but i am not the violent type so i would leave before he got to a state.

i would leave before he got to a state.

So you were the bigger man literally and metaphorically. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I'm 5'7 or 5'8. Does that make me a lost cause? :(

Sciprio wrote: »
    I'm 5"7 or 5"8. Does that make me a lost cause? :(

Wear a stovepipe hat and they'll be none the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

More books have been written about Napoleon than days have past since his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sciprio wrote: »
    I'm 5'7 or 5'8. Does that make me a lost cause? :(

It's shorter than an average Irishman, but I wouldn't say short.

That Examiner article is probably a load of boll0cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

I'm pretty short myself 5'7, honestly it is annoying, probably does affect me sub conciously or otherwise. In fairness though I could be shorter so I count myself lucky. My brother is about 5 5' and very cocky and pleasant. So perhaps not all short arses are prats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

lufties wrote: »
    I'm pretty short myself 5'7, honestly it is annoying, probably does affect me sub conciously or otherwise. In fairness though I could be shorter so I count myself lucky. My brother is about 5 5' and very cocky and pleasant. So perhaps not all short arses are prats.

I'm over 6' myself so most of my bosses have been shorter. The first guy was about 5'4" and was a malevolent little bollox. He didn't have a chip on his shoulder. he was the chip. He actually died while I was still with the firm. There were three days of wild celebrations among the staff broken off temporarily to visit the funeral home to check the little cnut was really dead.

The next fella was even shorter but was the nicest man I have ever encountered at work. An absolute gentleman. The next short-arse was a scheming little prick but you couldn't say he was a bully. My current boss is actually taller than me and is great craic when things are going great but an arrogant small-minded, lying bastard when things are not going so smoothly.

So basically, in my experience, small-man syndrome is just a convenient mental comeback for when someone smaller than us pisses us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think what happens is that if a 6ft guy is a w**ker, he's just called a w**ker but if a 5ft2 guy is a w**ker, he is labelled as having SMS. It may have nothing to do with his height at all.

I don't think it's fair to generalise on height but I don't blame a lot of short guys for having hang ups about it as society does seem to discriminate against them in the love stakes (by women) and when defining male ideals and abilities (by men and women).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

anncoates wrote: »
    I'd say he still gives daily effusive praise that he dodged a bullet.
    Nah, he chased after me for years. Most women want a man who has a man sized penis, not a child sized one.

Nah, he chased after me for years. Most women want a man who has a man sized penis, not a child sized one.

There must have been some Pepe-le-Pew type accident, in which the white paint of soundness fell in a stripe on your bitchy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

Did you cycle to the meeting ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Muise... wrote: »
    There must have been some Pepe-le-Pew type accident, in which the white paint of soundness fell in a stripe on your bitchy back.
    Hey, I'm just being honest. There aren't many women who'd want to date a short guy with a bad personality and a tiny penis. I certainly didn't. My being a bitch is irrelevant to the size of his penis.

Hey, I'm just being honest. There aren't many women who'd want to date a short guy with a bad personality and a tiny penis. I certainly didn't. My being a bitch is irrelevant to the size of his penis.

And the size of his penis is utterly irrelevant to this thread. All it does is make me take your claims that he has a "bad personality" with a pinch of salt. It is possible he's on another forum talking about your spelunkingly cavernous quim. Doubt it though.

• Advertisement

And the size of his penis is utterly irrelevant to this thread. All it does is make me take your claims that he has a "bad personality" with a pinch of salt. It is possible he's on another forum talking about your spelunkingly cavernous quim. Doubt it though.

He never even got a look at my bits. Size is relevant to the thread, small penis size is often jokingly referred to when discussing sms.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Wear a stovepipe hat and they'll be none the wiser.

I wear a fashionable flatcap to take the attention from my shortarseness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hey,
    I thought size didn't matter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I have loads of short friends, and they're all gents. And my group would have plenty of lads over 6ft as well, myself included, and there's zero animosity, or any inclination of small man syndrome.

Think it's more coincidence when an arsehole is short, rather than a rule of thumb.

Knex. wrote: »
    I have loads of short friends, and they're all gents. And my group would have plenty of lads over 6ft as well, myself included, and there's zero animosity, or any inclination of small man syndrome.

Think it's more coincidence when an arsehole is short, rather than a rule of thumb.

I think your right to a degree. When I was in my early 20s, myself and a mate used go out 'on the pull' together in Limerick, me 5 7' him 6'3, he would generally get the better looking girls, but I did a few times. I think as a duo we were quite confident. I also do think that being taller makes a big difference when it comes to attracting the opposite sex no matter how confident a lad is. sorry to go a bit off thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Hahahahahahahah thats the best post iv ever read, jesus what a put down "your spelunkingly cavernous quim" **** me thats brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'm 6'4" and lovely. If smaller lads are snitty, I just look down on them a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Maybe you have just a REALLY big fanny

whupdedo wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahah thats the best post iv ever read, jesus what a put down "your spelunkingly cavernous quim" **** me thats brilliant :D

wtf is a cavernous quim :eek:

• Advertisement

whupdedo wrote: »
    Maybe you have just a REALLY big fanny
    Nope, just a knack for winding up some people who have a small penis or are in a relationship with a small penis. Basically angry people, who are probably angry as a result of penis issues:p

Advertisement