Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election 2014: People Before Profit Alliance - Martin Grehan [MOD Note Post 6]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've been involved with Show Racism the Red Card since spring 0f 2013, the 1895 Trust since its inception in August of 2012. I've volunteered for CASA for over a year. Kildare Intercultural Action group I only recently got involved in the last few months.

But before those I was involved in other campaigns, volunteering, youth work,etc,. I worked for CTYI in DCU over two consecutive summers 09/10 and worked on a youth camp in Maynooth the summer before that. Was invovled in a nationwide campaign to provide representation for domestic football supporters in 2012.

Locally as well I was one of the founding members of the Stop the North Kildare Ambulance Cuts campaign in August 2012 as well, obviously that has political dimension to it as well.

What organisations do you work with?

Firstly, can I make it clear that I'm not running for election and I am not a member of any political party, or involved with any candidate in the forthcoming elections. Given your last question you obviously think I have an ulterior motive in asking you these questions so, even though it's you who chose to open this discussion forum, I'll answer your question.

I was actively involved with the local schools, both PTA and Board of Management for a number of years. I was also involved with the National Parents Council on a county level. I was a Scout, Venturer and Unit Leader in the Local Scouts for many years. I have been, and remain, a voluntary worker and a committee member of a local disability charity for the last 35 years. I am also currently the treasurer of a sporting club.

I will only vote for people that have shown a commitment to organisations that benefit the community in a voluntary and unpaid capacity!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As a councillor can you do anything about the massive issue with primary school places in Maynooth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DonkeyOatE

You seem to have omitted your involvement with FemSoc from your very admirable list of voluntary and advocacy experience. Any particular reason for this? Could you outline this involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

FemSoc were the venerable group behind this poster / leaflet they distributed:

Hd5oYxF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skidmarks95

I lol everytime about how disgustingly ironically sexist that poster is everytime I see it. Whoever made it should be banned from not only femsoc but NUIM altogether.

• Advertisement

I lol everytime about how disgustingly ironically sexist that poster is everytime I see it. Whoever made it should be banned from not only femsoc but NUIM altogether.

In fairness, those sage words of wisdom have stopped me from raping....which is difficult....seeing as how I am a man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

martin I saw this on the journal

7qbTZB.jpg

what were you arrested for ?

Hi Martin,
    What's a LADSoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

banquo wrote: »

Hd5oYxF.jpg
    I will show terrific restraint, and let this be my only post here.

What happened to this ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Hd5oYxF.jpg

That is staggering. Anyone involved would need to take a good long look at themselves and try and imagine what any fellow human (outside their bubble) thinks of it.

• Advertisement

Back on topic - given that Martin is unavailable over the weekend.

Martin, going back to your proposals:

I signed a pledge to vote against cuts to services or increase in non-progressive taxes. We view the Property Tax as regressive and hence I will be voting to lower it no matter what the situation re funding is.

As mentioned before, it doesn't make sense to say you cannot reduce taxes and keep services at the same level so you are caught in an everlasting quandary.

Have you looked at what services you are going to keep at their existing levels post reducing the LPT and what services would have to be reduced?

• Company Representative Posts: 22 Verified rep Martin Grehan

But your missing the point, PBP candidates say they live on the Average Industrial wage. Which is great! fair play to them! However they may only live on the Average industrial wage, But still Cost the same as any other Candidate. The money that a candidate would get isnt any less. You Just take the money and donate it to PBP causes.

If you only took the amount that brought you up to the average industrial wage, then I believe you could honestly make that claim.

Edit: This isnt a pop at you directly Martin. Its something i've seen other PBP and left wing Candidates say. It kinda defeats the saving money argument.

This isn't a saving money argument though, I do believe representatives should be paid. No more than the average industrial wage of course. I won't be paid more than that. I could return my salary if I so wished but that salary will enable me to travel, and fund representing people.

The excess money I may donate would be wages from some other job I may take on during the period I'm elected.

We consistently argue for a reduction of the wages of TDs to the average industrial wage.

In terms of internal discussions on this issue, this debate comes up quite frequently. Some people argue all monies above avg. industrial wage should be returned to taxpayer, some argue it should be put into campaigns, tbh, I don't know which side I fall on that.

All I know is it's not being spent on giving backhanders to property developers or the like. But I accept your criticisms, our argument is not cost cutting as we believe anyone who works should receive a fair wage, the pledge in relation to that is because we believe that it's hypocritical not to live on the average wage when that's what most workers must survive on.

Rosahane wrote: »
    Firstly, can I make it clear that I'm not running for election and I am not a member of any political party, or involved with any candidate in the forthcoming elections. Given your last question you obviously think I have an ulterior motive in asking you these questions so, even though it's you who chose to open this discussion forum, I'll answer your question.

I was actively involved with the local schools, both PTA and Board of Management for a number of years. I was also involved with the National Parents Council on a county level. I was a Scout, Venturer and Unit Leader in the Local Scouts for many years. I have been, and remain, a voluntary worker and a committee member of a local disability charity for the last 35 years. I am also currently the treasurer of a sporting club.

I will only vote for people that have shown a commitment to organisations that benefit the community in a voluntary and unpaid capacity!

Sorry, I was just enquiring out of interest, thought we might know each other outside of the world of boards. No ulterior motive.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    As a councillor can you do anything about the massive issue with primary school places in Maynooth ?

Hi Moonbeam, I honestly wouldn't profess to be an expert on all issues in relation to primary school places in the area. I don't have children and none of my friends in the area have kids of that age. I've been involved a bit in the issue with the secondary school problem and cachement areas and how that relates to the primary schools.

Can you fill me in on what the situation is? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi Moonbeam, I honestly wouldn't profess to be an expert on all issues in relation to primary school places in the area. I don't have children and none of my friends in the area have kids of that age. I've been involved a bit in the issue with the secondary school problem and cachement areas and how that relates to the primary schools.

Can you fill me in on what the situation is? Thanks :)

As someone who wants to represent local people, many of whom have kids, should you not be well versed on this matter since local councils can zone land for such things and these are the real issues that people have?

In relation to the FemSoc "accusations". I was a member of the Feminist Society in NUI Maynooth from Jan 2012 until June of 2013. The rationale being that I believe in equality of genders, I consider myself a feminist and that the society was active on campaigning for access to abortion, against domestic/sexual violence, etc,. The society is comprised of young women and men who believe that gender equality has not been achieved in Ireland, for example, no Irish based woman can access an abortion, women are the victims (and men are the perpetrators) of the vast majority of domestic and sexual violence, woman do not earn as much as men, etc, etc, the list goes on.

The idea that I might be ashamed of that, or be pretending I wasn't involved is, unfortunately for some rather juvenile individuals, not true. I have appeared on numerous public platforms where I have openly identified as feminist, as a member of FemSoc and am not in the least bit ashamed of it. If you are the sort of person who thinks working towards equality, be it gender based, race based, or whatever, is something to be ashamed of then you probably shouldn't vote for People Before Profit. People Before Profit are a feminist organisation, who are staunchly pro-choice, that's public record.

In relation to that specific poster, I wasn't involved in creating that or distributing it, I disagreed with it, as I felt the context would not be clear to someone reading it randomly. The idea behind the poster is to highlight the ridiculous advice that women are given to "avoid" rape, when really what's needed is educating men that rape is wrong. My arguments against the use of that poster out of context are on record within the society.

EDIT: This newsletter here, which was dropped into every home in Maynooth, mentions some of stuff above, just for those ashamed accusations :)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As someone who wants to represent local people, many of whom have kids, should you not be well versed on this matter since local councils can zone land for such things and these are the real issues that people have?

And you'll be contacting all 12 of the other candidates to insure there are as equally well versed in all issues, including the ones I'd be well versed on, like the crisis in housing, the ambulance issue,etc, I'm sure?

We're a small organisation who endeavour to try and be on top of all issues in the locality. I could have lied and pretended I knew all there was to know about it. But I don't so I didn't.

HonalD wrote: »
    Back on topic - given that Martin is unavailable over the weekend.

Martin, going back to your proposals:

I signed a pledge to vote against cuts to services or increase in non-progressive taxes. We view the Property Tax as regressive and hence I will be voting to lower it no matter what the situation re funding is.

As mentioned before, it doesn't make sense to say you cannot reduce taxes and keep services at the same level so you are caught in an everlasting quandary.

Have you looked at what services you are going to keep at their existing levels post reducing the LPT and what services would have to be reduced?

I'm not going to blaze a 1,000 words out again, as I've answered this one before. As I said previously, when you narrow the debate to simply saying less of the property tax must equal cuts in service you ignore the facts like 1) that tax isn't paying for local services anyway 2) who instigates this tax, those in power with a fixed ideology of running down services, privatising, etc 3) that cuts to local services are ever acceptable.

I will not vote for a cut to a local service ever because the first time you do, the first time you compromise you start down a road where every service, an ambulance, a hospital, a school, is up for the chop.

In terms of specific services that would be presented for cuts in the next term of the council, that would be dependent on who forms the majority on the council, what their ideology is, and if they believe cuts to local services are acceptable. With the support of other left-wing councillors and independents it may be possible to defeat cuts budgets, and force services to remain open.

But every single cut that's implemented or tabled will be met with work outside the council chamber to mobilise workers and members of the community to defend those services.

I notice a theme in people's posts, they want me to say how I'm going to work my ideology within the system. I don't believe the system represents people. It puts profit, big business, the status quo, to the fore. I'm not running to be a service provider, as I mentioned previously.

I've a busy day of canvassing and other election stuff tomorrow so I'd imagine it'll be Tuesday before I'm back. Anything urgent contact details are in first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Martin, that "answer" there about cuts answers nothing. Voting to cut LPT and voting against cuts to services is going to leave a massive financial hole in the budget - where are you intend to fill this from? You really do appear to be avoiding this question.

Where, within the confines of council funding, are you going to raise income or cut expenditure?

This has nothing at all to do with your ideology but cold, hard maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And you'll be contacting all 12 of the other candidates to insure there are as equally well versed in all issues, including the ones I'd be well versed on, like the crisis in housing, the ambulance issue,etc, I'm sure?

We're a small organisation who endeavour to try and be on top of all issues in the locality. I could have lied and pretended I knew all there was to know about it. But I don't so I didn't.

The question was put to you about primary education, not to other councillors regarding ambulance services or whatever, don't deflect.

In relation to the FemSoc "accusations". I was a member of the Feminist Society in NUI Maynooth from Jan 2012 until June of 2013.

No you weren't. You completely endorsed it, engaged in your usual online bullying of anyone who didn't agree with you, and are still a leader of Femsoc - didn't you lead a protest of the society as recently as a month ago? Why do you deny being a member of a group that you lead?

The FemSoc Facebook group last March:

WFq8uXh.jpg

(It was a public group on FB, anyone could see members and posts without being a member of the group itself, nobody's privacy risked here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nessieos

No you weren't. You completely endorsed it, and are still a leader of Femsoc - didn't you lead a protest of the society as recently as a month ago? Why do you deny being a member of a group that you lead?

(It was a public group on FB, anyone could see members and posts without being a member of the group itself, nobody's privacy risked here.)

Actually I, along with others on the Femsoc committee lead that group and I find it insulting that you insinuate that present students in the college can't manage things ourselves. I set up meeting with over 50 people at it and we all decided together to have a demonstration on campus. I was the one with the megaphone and I, along with other people involved in Students Against Sexism and Femsoc set up and run events. Any member of Femsoc, past and present can post in our group.

Just for clarification.

I'm not going to blaze a 1,000 words out again, as I've answered this one before.

I notice a theme in people's posts, they want me to say how I'm going to work my ideology within the system. I don't believe the system represents people. It puts profit, big business, the status quo, to the fore. I'm not running to be a service provider, as I mentioned previously.

Eh, 1. no you didn't and 2. What are you talking about? You are running for election, to represent the public, it improves your case to spell out how you will fit into the system?

"the system" is a democracy, perhaps sometimes ones ideology can't fit the system.

nessieos wrote: »
    Actually I, along with others on the Femsoc committee lead that group and I find it insulting that you insinuate that present students in the college can't manage things ourselves. I set up meeting with over 50 people at it and we all decided together to have a demonstration on campus. I was the one with the megaphone and I, along with other people involved in Students Against Sexism and Femsoc set up and run events. Any member of Femsoc, past and present can post in our group.

Just for clarification.

Hello Nessieos, I don't know your connection to the OP and wonder if the location and content of your post is correct. But as you've dropped in, With regard to the poster uploaded earlier, can you explain it and also justify it please

MYOB wrote: »
    Martin, that "answer" there about cuts answers nothing. Voting to cut LPT and voting against cuts to services is going to leave a massive financial hole in the budget - where are you intend to fill this from? You really do appear to be avoiding this question.

Where, within the confines of council funding, are you going to raise income or cut expenditure?

This has nothing at all to do with your ideology but cold, hard maths.

MYOB, we are singing from the Same hymn sheet. Martin, please reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fionn1978

[
    DonkeyOatE wrote: »
    In fairness, those sage words of wisdom have stopped me from raping....which is difficult....seeing as how I am a man

This is a rape awareness campaign run by NUIM Femsoc in 2012 via Facebook to raise awareness and debate amongst students to "help to reverse the popular trend of focusing rape prevention messages on women and transfer them instead towards more appropriate recipients - potential perpetrators."

The idea was to challenge disurbing and increasing rape culture online and upend old myths which perpetuate this culture particularly through social media. It was taken from Rape Crisis Scotland's succesful education campaign at the time.

It is not sexist but a challenge to sexism in society where women are told it is up to them to not get themselves raped but what are our messages to the potential perpetrators? Why not focus our prevention strategies at educating them about their responsibilities to keep their friends safe etc. For example, in the US a sister campaign (also published by Femsoc's newsletter) asks boys and men to stand up for their friends as allies to prevent rapes occurring on college campuses.

"Rape Crisis Scotland adapted an apt and popular revision of the traditional approach to rape prevention in a new poster and postcard campaign."

Hard copies of posters in A4 and A3 sizes, and of postcards are available by order from their website for colleges and community groups to use.

Please write to info at rapecrisisscotland.org.uk if you would like to receive some of these or learn more about this campaign.

You can Google their website under
    rapecrisisscotland org uk -> check news, then stop-rape section.QUOTE=HonalD;90083523]That is staggering. Anyone involved would need to take a good long look at themselves and try and imagine what any fellow human (outside their bubble) thinks of it.[/QUOTE]

Fionn1978 wrote: »
    [

It is not sexist .

Yes. Yes, it is. It unbelievably is. Like it so is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClaireAG

Martin's involvement in Femsoc; an organisation promoting equality, is most definitely a great achievement of his.
    The anti-rape posters which are being shared were put up but not every Femsoc committee member were consulted on this decision. They do not represent views of every past/current Femsoc member. The selected screen grabs of recent controversy over strippers in the SU just illustrate how active Martin is in local pressure groups and how he will speak up when he disagrees with inequality. And frankly, that is a virtue we need in our public representatives.

• Advertisement

Great that people are involved in pressure groups for causes they believe in. So Martin was, as you say, active in FemSoc as recently as a month ago. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement