Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers behave like children at their conferences

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody find the behaviour of teachers at their conferences every year child like?

You would actually get more maturity from a group of 13 year olds. I'm convinced.

So it's no surprise they boo and hiss at the mere thought of a teacher having to have honors maths. It's about time.

And we clearly need more initiatives like this to weed out the class clowns of which there appear to be many - i.e teachers.

It's asking too much to act in a dignified manner like most adults clearly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Does anybody find the behaviour of teachers at their conferences every year child like?

You would actually get more maturity from a group of 13 year olds.

So it's no surprise they boo and hiss at the mere thought of a teacher having to have honors maths. It's about time.

And we clearly need more initiatives like this to weed out the class clowns of which there appear to be many - i.e teachers.

It's asking to much to grow up and act in a dignified manner like most adults.

Teacher bashing again.......yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You would actually get more maturity from a group of 13 year olds.

It's asking to much to grow up and act in a dignified manner like most adults.
    The best english teacher I ever had did ordinary maths. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The booing was for his sexism, implying only boys do honours maths. But please don't let your blinkered anti -teacher stance get in the way of the truth .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Expect only replies from teachers in this thread, everyone else is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The best english teacher I ever had did ordinary maths. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

But in primary schools, the english teacher also teaches you maths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Caliden wrote: »
    Expect only replies from teachers in this thread, everyone else is working.

And you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Teachers get a lot of flak. Easy target imo.

I was out with a mate the other weekend and a friend of his came out with him and as the night went on I was chatting to him and he mentioned he was a teacher. I started to slag him off and he simply replied "If its so good being a teacher then why didn't you become one?"

Couldn't really answer him but he right, it aint a job for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

This is about primary school teachers doing honours maths. Not English teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

And if they were teaching Honours Level Maths in primary school, you would have a point...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You don't need honours maths to teach primary school maths.

In any case, the idea that you need honors maths just to teach is a massive fallacy.

Edit - doesn't say primary school teaches I'm the op, does it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

The booing was for his sexism, implying only boys do honours maths. But please don't let your blinkered anti -teacher stance get in the way of the truth .

Ruari Quinn made a statement of fact - that primary school teaching has become a femanised endevour. The INTO General Secretary Sheila Nunan came back with some real sexist, populist nonsense:
    It wasn’t the girls who didn’t do the Higher Level Maths that led the country to ruination.
    She said:
    “It was the boys who did the Honours Maths that did this”.
    (from RTE)

And if they were teaching Honours Level Maths in primary school, you would have a point...

So you would be happy with a primary school teacher teaching english to pupils with just a primary school pupil's understanding of the subject? Surely the better a teacher understands a subject, the better they are at teaching even the most basic aspects of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

same every year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So you would be happy with a primary school teacher teaching english to pupils with just a primary school pupil's understanding of the subject? Surely the better a teacher understands a subject, the better they are at teaching even the most basic aspects of it?

Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level Maths is waaaaaaaay above the level of primary school maths.

An File wrote: »
    Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level Maths is waaaaaaaay above the level of primary school maths.

It is significantly above it yes. But a person could coast through ordinary level leaving cert maths, get a bare pass and have no REAL fluency or understanding of maths.

It shouldn't be a hate-crime to suggest that primary school teachers be the absolute best that they can be (and that we would want for our children).

But it seems to be below the level of understanding that some primary teachers require.

It's all about understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

You don't need honours maths to teach primary school maths.

In any case, the idea that you need honors maths just to teach is a massive fallacy.

No it isn't. Primary school teachers are responsible for the first 8 years of maths education in this country. Anyone who is not able to pass leaving cert honours maths is clearly incapable of being a maths teacher.

At the moment, there is nothing to prevent someone who struggled with pass maths being in charge of some kids first ever maths class. How are students supposed to be comfortable with learning maths if their teacher can't hack it?

By that logic, we should make sure all teachers use years of their lives where they could be teaching to become wildly over qualified? They'll want (quite rightly...) higher wages then.

You'd be better off having a look at the syllabus if you want to improve the standard in primary, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not necessarily so. Stephen Hawking might have a wonderful grasp of his subjects but wouldn't necessarily be able to relate and explain things in a way a child might understand. At primary level communication skills, the ability to adapt simple principles in creative ways to relate them to children of diverse abilities are much more important than an indept knowledge of involved and complex maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You may not teach Karate unless you hold a third-degree (a.k.a. "dan") black belt. You may not teach the driving of a car unless you are examined on advanced driving well beyond what "civilians" are expected to show in the driving test. I should say higher-level maths in the Leaving Cert. is the least we could expect from anyone calling themselves a teacher.
    carraig2 wrote: »
    Teacher bashing again.......yawn
    Where?? I've got a new bat! :D

• Advertisement

By that logic, we should make sure all teachers use years of their lives where they could be teaching to become wildly over qualified? They'll want (quite rightly...) higher wages then.

You'd be better off having a look at the syllabus if you want to improve the standard in primary, I think.

Passing higher level leaving cert maths (especially with the advent of "project maths") is not being "widly over qualified" to teach maths (albeit at a more basic level) to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ruari Quinn made a statement of fact - that primary school teaching has become a femanised endevour. The INTO General Secretary Sheila Nunan came back with some real sexist, populist nonsense:

She said:

(from RTE)

Irrelevant - a lot of men are reluctant to go onto teaching for fear of accusation being made Against them by overzealous kids or parents.

In any case, the best mathematicians or Irish speakers or whatever usually don't make the best teachers.

I often wonder how many inspirational and life enlightening teachers slip through the net because of something they couldn't do or some grade they didn't get that was vpmpletly unrelated to the job and were thus overlooked or ignored.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So is Leaving Certificate ordinary level Irish. Yet, higher level Irish is a requirement for primary teaching.

Surely anyone who teaches, to whatever ages, should have an all round good understanding and interest in the subjects? It's easy to achieve good grades in OL Maths without much effort. Is it too much to expect primary teachers to take up HL English, Irish and Maths in secondary school? The three core subjects they'll be teaching for the rest of their life after training?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

“It was the boys who did the Honours Maths that did this”.

I hope she doesn't teach history. A poor formal education was a badge of honour from the top bankers, to the top developers and the top awntropenoors like Sean Quinn.

In any case, the best mathematicians or Irish speakers or whatever usually don't make the best teachers.

I don't think anyone is looking for the best mathematicians to teach. People just want competence.

Passing higher level leaving cert maths (especially with the advent of "project maths") is not being "widly over qualified" to teach maths (albeit at a more basic level) to children.

So, if the primary teachers need to have honours maths, what about college lecturers in maths? They need to have worked for CERN and been to the moon before they can teach?

As the syllabus stands, they have no need for honours maths. They need to look at the syllabus.

I often wonder how many inspirational and life enlightening teachers slip through the net because of something they couldn't do or some grade they didn't get that was vpmpletly unrelated to the job and were thus overlooked or ignored.

Mmmmmm. I see your point. But there must be something more to being a teacher than goodwill and being inspirational to children. There must be some basic educational requirements to be an educator.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Is it too much to expect primary teachers to take up HL English, Irish and Maths in secondary school? The three core subjects they'll be teaching for the rest of their life after training?

And History, Geography, Science, Music, Art, Drama, Physical Education, Religious Education and SPHE too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was in a hotel once at the same time as one of these conferences (not sure which teaching union) and bejaysus, the carry on in the bar that night was something else.

Put it this way, they were definitely not behaving like children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

This is something I've been trying to figure out for some time now. For the past few years there has been a relentless kicking of teachers in this country, more so than any other profession including bankers. As far as I can see it seems to be based on the holidays teachers get and the perceived short working day.
    I worked for 19 years in the private sector then 10 years ago went back to education and now work in adult and further education. While working in the private sector I would have held the same anti teacher sentiment I now see constantly on the Internet and in some of our national media. Now that I've had 10 years of experience of the sector I find this constant bashing ill informed and ignorant.
    Definitely there are a lot of things teachers could do better but there are a lot of things other professions could do better as well. I am just wondering why we focus on this profession so much in this country?

Advertisement