Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily fruit and vegetable intake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ryan101 wrote: »
    Well if you could explain I would appreciate it.

I was being general, you don't have to eat a quarter pasta I was thinking more potatoes or rice.
    As for the "Eat sandwiches", some people will still eat two slices of wholemeal bread a day, better if they don't, but in the real world I don't see any harm if it's limited to that.

Could you lay out for us an example of what meals an ordinary family are supposed to eat in an ordinary day ?

It pretty much amounts to try to eat more veg in your meals.

I don't agree with reducing the meat and advocating bread.

Not saying it's your intention to suggest reducing animal-based protein and increase carbs but it reads a little like that.

But I don't disagree with the central part of includsing more veg in your meals. I just don't think it needs to come at the expense of meat and/or dairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

It pretty much amounts to try to eat more veg in your meals.

I don't agree with reducing the meat and advocating bread.

Not saying it's your intention to suggest reducing animal-based protein and increase carbs but it reads a little like that.

But I don't disagree with the central part of includsing more veg in your meals. I just don't think it needs to come at the expense of meat and/or dairy.

I'm not advocating bread, as I already explained, max. two slices of wholemeal bread per day.

Would you advocate the sausages and mince you were defending on another thread ?

I'm not advocating bread, as I already explained, max. two slices of wholemeal bread per day.

Would you advocate the sausages and mince you were defending on another thread ?

I've no problems with sausages that are 85%+ pork. And I've no problem with mince. I don't see why I should.

And I don't think a quarter of your dinner needs to be carbs.

But that's just me.

No need to be so defensive, I didn't say that it was necessarily that you were advocating bread but that it read like you were.

You also asked for thoughts on what you said. I gave mine.

I've no problems with sausages that are 85%+ pork. And I've no problem with mince. I don't see why I should.

And I don't think a quarter of your dinner needs to be carbs.

But that's just me.

No need to be so defensive, I didn't say that it was necessarily that you were advocating bread but that it read like you were.

You also asked for thoughts on what you said. I gave mine.

I didn't say your dinner "needs to be" a quarter carbs either, I'm not being defensive, I just don't think people should be misquoted.
    I don't consider processed meats or sausages and mince as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I can vouch for craving veg. I took junior hiking and camping a couple of weeks back so it was canned food for 2 days. What I was thinking about coming home was making a kale shake ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

The old bread debate raising its ugly head gain eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ryan I disagree with so so much there.

Less meat?

Eat sandwiches?

Eat a quarter pasta with dinners?

No thanks. No thanks at all.

Ah this isn't really a fair summary.

The simple matter of the fact is for your average joe who is trying to clean his/her food intake up a bit bread is and has been a staple of their diet since they were kids. It's all well and good for regulars on the nutrition&diet forum to complain about how nutritionally void and worthless bread is (and they wouldn't be wrong) but for most people the best you can hope for initially is to get them to switch over to brown bread or a wholemeal wrap. If you overwhelm people with restrictions they'll just think "**** it" and revert to their bad habits. You have to walk before you can run. Same idea applies to their pasta/spuds with dinner.

I agree with your first point though, there is rarely ever a reason to eat less good meat. But I think the underlying idea is the same; eat vegetables as often as possible.

I didn't say your dinner "needs to be" a quarter carbs either, I'm not being defensive, I just don't think people should be misquoted.
    I don't consider processed meats or sausages and mince as healthy.

I didn't misquote you. I even said I didn't think it was your intention to advocate bread in place of meat. I said it reads a little like it.

I also didn't say that you said your dinner needs to be a quarter carbs.
    ryan101 wrote:
    Slowly alter your dinners in the evening so they eventually end up being half a plate of 3 mixed veg, and quarter of meat and a quarter of carb. (i.e. potatoes, rice or pasta)

I was just responding to that.

Also, I usually get my butcher to mince a steak when I get there. How is that unhealthy, exactly? Because technically it's processed because it has been minced?

Also, I usually get my butcher to mince a steak when I get there. How is that unhealthy, exactly? Because technically it's processed because it has been minced?

No it's not, you were not advocating that on the mince thread.

Good red meat is ok, but in moderation.

No it's not, but you were not advocating that on the mince thread.

I think you've misunderstood the word 'advocating'.

What I said was I didn't think there should be such horror that different bits of the cow went into pre-packed mince.

You are coming across as defensive. All I originally said was that I disagreed with how it read but that how it read and what your intention was were different and that I agreed with your central point in that people should include more veg in their diet.

• Advertisement

I think you've misunderstood the word 'advocating'.

What I said was I didn't think there should be such horror that different bits of the cow went into pre-packed mince.

There isn't any "horror", some people would just prefer to know what their meat contains and have the choice, rather than sometimes having to eat random meat waste, chosen by someone else for them to eat.

There isn't any "horror", some people would just prefer to know what their meat contains and have the choice, rather than sometimes having to eat random meat waste, chosen by someone else for them to eat.

It's still beef.

Unless it's horse.

I'll let you off misquoting me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The defensiveness is high with this one.

I totally see your run before you can walk angle, but I disagree with it myself.I'd prefer to give the truth . Leave out bread if you want a healthy diet. Eat more veg. Eat more meat.

There's load.of things I would tell people before I'd say get some wholemeal bread and ease off on the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I totally see your run before you can walk angle, but I disagree with it myself.I'd prefer to give the truth . Leave out bread if you want a healthy diet. Eat more veg. Eat more meat.

There's load.of things I would tell people before I'd say get some wholemeal bread and ease off on the meat.

agreed, nothing wrong with bread either though. All in a varied diet.

Eat more meat ? The truth is not all meat is good and you don't require large quantities of it.

Yeah I do. I require a.hell of a lot of protein.

Yeah I do. I require a.hell of a lot of protein.

So you're talking about a specific diet for a specific purpose, do you recommend high protien intake for normal day to day requirements ?

For somebody eating 2200 calories a day I'd recommend protein make up at least 40 % of them.

40 30 30 protein fat carbs.

Maybe even 40 35 25 if they were happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Bread is unhealthy. 40/30/30 percentages . I like where this thread is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

For somebody eating 2200 calories a day I'd recommend protein make up at least 40 % of them.

40 30 30 protein fat carbs.

Maybe even 40 35 25 if they were happy with that

WTF.

This is not the kind of stuff normal people respond to - macro percentages and cutting out the staple of their diet? How are they supposed to make sense of that?

You want people to slowly make changes to their diet and adapt them to their lifestyle. The OP said they were a couple discussing how their vegetable intake has dropped recently - does that sound like someone who tracks their macros and weighs all her food on precision scales?

A bit of context goes a long way. Maybe you have been nutritionally savvy your whole life, maybe you made the switch with relative ease, but to assume that everyone else would achieve it as easily isn't fair.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    Bread is unhealthy. 40/30/30 percentages . I like where this thread is going.

You've posted twice in the last two pages. Both has been about bread. Maybe leave it for.another thread.

WTF.

This is not the kind of stuff normal people respond to - macro percentages and cutting out the staple of their diet? How are they supposed to make sense of that?

You want people to slowly make changes to their diet and adapt them to their lifestyle. The OP said they were a couple discussing how their vegetable intake has dropped recently - does that sound like someone who tracks their macros and weighs all her food on precision scales?

A bit of context goes a long way. Maybe you have been nutritionally savvy your whole life, maybe you made the switch with relative ease, but to assume that everyone else would achieve it as easily isn't fair.

Why does it have to be slowly? Give people some credit. I'm sure 40 30 30 won't bamboozle too many people. People will.respond when they see changes. They'll see them faster when they eat properly.

Any major.success story I've evwr seen with diet has had an instant change rather than a slowly slowly bit.by bit change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why does it have to be slowly? Give people some credit. I'm sure 40 30 30 won't bamboozle too many people. People will.respond when they see changes. They'll see them faster when they eat properly.

Any major.success story I've evwr seen with diet has had an instant change rather than a slowly slowly bit.by bit change

Because small changes over a long time period are easier to maintain. Willpower is a limited resource with people. Small changes require less of it.

Well have to agree to disagree on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms!

There can be days that I don't eat any veg. There can be days I eat 10 portions, I try to get as much in as possible. Spinach would be my biggest one, I throw it into everything!

I'm a spinach lover as well!! Have it nearly everyday!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I took note of what we were eating for a few days after without changing anything and I had been slightly under estimating our fruit and veg intake. We definitely had slipped in comparison to before baby arrived. With a little effort we have upped our intake and variety so that five is the minimum and usually it's 3-4 more than that, leafy greens are a staple again. With regards to bread, we don't eat a lot of it anyway. Maybe two slices at the weekend or a homemade pizza or the occasional naan with a homemade curry. I don't see anything wrong with it in moderation. We try to eat good quality meat and vegetables where possible.

Advertisement