Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the one true king (or queen) of Westeros? SPOILERS!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    He saw a kingdom torn apart by petty squabbles and said, enough of this snit.

bear in mind that the targaryans lived on dragonstone for generations and paid no mind to the issues of westeros, it was only when the 'kings' tried to recruit the targaryan dragons that aegon took matters into his own hands

Again, his intentions are irrelevant. He still took their thrones by force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Blay wrote: »
    Again, his intentions are irrelevant. He still took their thrones by force.

See I would make the distinction between aegon and robert on the grounds that the wars were already raging when aegon intervened for the greater good to bring peace, wheras roberts rebellion was an act of aggression based mostly on a personal grievance and wrought destruction

aegon ended a war and brought peace and prosperity

robert started a war and brought chaos and starvation.

See I would make the distinction between aegon and robert on the grounds that the wars were already raging when aegon intervened for the greater good to bring peace, wheras roberts rebellion was an act of aggression based mostly on a personal grievance and wrought destruction

Jon Arryn started started the war and was supported by 3 other Great Houses. That's 4 of 7, a pretty good sign that Westeros had had enough of the Targaryens. On top of that the Lannisters were clearly indifferent about the fate of the Targaryens so Aerys had managed to piss off 5 of the 7 Great Houses...that's not how you rule a kingdom. The downfall of the Targaryens was of their own making.

Jon Arryn started started the war and was supported by 3 other Great Houses. That's 4 of 7, a pretty good sign that Westeros had had enough of the Targaryens. The Lannisters were clearly indifferent about the fate of the Targaryens so Aerys had managed to piss off 5 of the 7 Great Houses...that's not how you rule a kingdom. The downfall of the Targaryens was of their own making.

Rhaegar was as much if an idiot as Aerys too. Taking the daughter of a Lord Paramount...whether she wanted to go or not.. will only breed hatred and resentment. Resentment that his father compounded by essentially murdering Rickard and Brandon Stark abd calling for the head of Eddard.

As for fighting Robert personally at the Trident..if he ever had a brain he must have lost it before he decided to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No no no, Robert started a war, won it, and kept the Kings Peace from then on. It's often mentioned how the Kings Road was safe for travellers when Robert was on the throne. Robert didn't bring chaos and starvation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Blay wrote: »
    Jon Arryn started started the war and was supported by 3 other Great Houses. That's 4 of 7, a pretty good sign that Westeros had had enough of the Targaryens. On top of that the Lannisters were clearly indifferent about the fate of the Targaryens so Aerys had managed to piss off 5 of the 7 Great Houses...that's not how you rule a kingdom. The downfall of the Targaryens was of their own making.

Also Aerys did have that whole tendency to burn people... probably didn't make him a popular fellow.

As to who is the true king? I agree with the others here that, to an extent, the ability to win and hold a throne is what counts - even if you're not born to it.

Saying that, at the moment, I see Stannis as the 'true' king - Joffrey and Tommen have no rights to it (bastard children) and he is still claiming it and at war against them (even if he's not fighting them right now).

On the other hand, Dany does have the whole born into the royal family thing. But that won't mean **** if she can't win the throne back. But, if she rocks up with enough of an army and enough support, she has a great claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

No no no, Robert started a war, won it, and kept the Kings Peace from then on. It's often mentioned how the Kings Road was safe for travellers when Robert was on the throne. Robert didn't bring chaos and starvation.

Robert put the crown in un-repayable debt and died before he would ever feel the effects of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Robert put the crown in un-repayable debt and died before he would ever feel the effects of it.

Yeah but no one knew that til after he was dead and its still only known in the upper echelons. That doesnt matter so long as people with money will fund the crown, people like the Tyrells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

True king is either
    Danny, Aegon or Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

True king is either
    Danny, Aegon or Jon

I think you forgot Stannis. Did you not see Davos's speech last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

True king is either
    Danny, Aegon or Jon

While the names you mention may well have a blood line connection to the throne... The line they claim from was legitimately deposed.
    Robert Baratheon was the rightful king after his rebellion, and as such, his true heir and now rightful king is Stannis. That remains until such time that Stannis bends the knee to another king or is killed in combat.
    If the Targaryen line is to get back on the Iron Throne by right, it must again be won by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Davos really swung the argument for me,

Stannis, the king Westeros deserves,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Kunkka wrote: »
    I think you forgot Stannis. Did you not see Davos's speech last night?

Only on season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Only on season 2

Thread carefully my sweet summer child.

Advertisement