Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in the middle lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

corktina wrote: »
    on an auxiliary lane yes (perhaps) but not on a motorway. In your scenario, you are in any case allowed pass on the inside.

Well merely being present in the auxiliary lane is an indication that you are taking the next exit and passing on the left is allowed if you are indicating to take the next exit. You are most likely not to have your actual indicators on but you are still indicating by being in the aux lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....driving towards the airport on an EMPTY M50 when I see a pickup truck with Wicklow plates sitting in to rightmost lane at 80kph and nobody else near him.

He should have been in the leftmost lane at this point of his journey and in those conditions, no one else on the road.

I see this every day on the M50, M4 and M11. Slow moving cars in righmost lane holding everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

corktina wrote: »
    on an auxiliary lane yes (perhaps) but not on a motorway. In your scenario, you are in any case allowed pass on the inside.

According to our law, you can overtake on left, if you intend to turn left, and signalled this intention with indicator.
    That includes motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

Last week driving on n7 passing rathcoole there was a woman with her elderly mother in the car doing 60 in the middle lane at rush hour. People overtaking were causing massive tailbacks everyone slamming on brakes nearly crashing. She refused to move to the left. I moved from right lane to left one and undertook her beeping and shouting all sorts of obscenities at her.I got up to the limit and as long as she was in my rear view mirror she was on the middle lane. 5 mins after I got home I heard garda and ambulance on n7. Apparently a motorbike was involved. I have absoutely no doubts whatsoever that that woman was to blame but it happened behind her so she was oblivious to it prob blamed someone else..... was I wrong to undertake her or should I have just added to the pile up???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think many drivers go out of their way to find other drivers who are doing wrong.

Beeping and shouting at every annoying driver is just silly and as annoying as the oblivious drivers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

Sorry me n technology ain't friends. I dunno how to quote. But are you telling me that the woman doin 60 in the middle lane was just someone I was going out of my way to find ?? The woman caused a pile up for fcuk sake a motorbike was involved God help that poor person I hope their okay. I don't travel the country to find people like that. God forbid anybody like that should be on our roads. Shame on the person that passed her in her driving test. I'd say she was just passed there and then because the tester was too afraid to spend any longer in her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

IMO if someone is negligent enough to not check their left mirror when changing to the left lane then they're just as likely to not check the right one going to the right

Sorry me n technology ain't friends. I dunno how to quote. But are you telling me that the woman doin 60 in the middle lane was just someone I was going out of my way to find ??
    No, but concentrating more on what you're doing and less on going mental might improve you're own driving safety.
    The woman caused a pile up for fcuk sake a motorbike was involved God help that poor person I hope their okay.
    Did you see the pile up and its cause? If drivers didn't drive so close to those in front of them for their given speed, many pile ups may be avoided.
    I don't travel the country to find people like that. God forbid anybody like that should be on our roads. Shame on the person that passed her in her driving test. I'd say she was just passed there and then because the tester was too afraid to spend any longer in her car.
    What will happen when you become incompetent someday, you'll just quit driving will you?

If you shout and roar, and beep at every middle lane hog driver, then you are already a driver easily distracted. It is annoying, no doubt about it, but just have a go at calmly passing them, instead of losing the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last week driving on n7 passing rathcoole there was a woman with her elderly mother in the car doing 60 in the middle lane at rush hour. People overtaking were causing massive tailbacks everyone slamming on brakes nearly crashing. She refused to move to the left. I moved from right lane to left one and undertook her beeping and shouting all sorts of obscenities at her.I got up to the limit and as long as she was in my rear view mirror she was on the middle lane. 5 mins after I got home I heard garda and ambulance on n7. Apparently a motorbike was involved. I have absoutely no doubts whatsoever that that woman was to blame but it happened behind her so she was oblivious to it prob blamed someone else..... was I wrong to undertake her or should I have just added to the pile up???????

I passed that accident - it took place on the M7, not the three lane carriage way of the N7.

BTW - does anyone know what happened to that motorcyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Sorry me n technology ain't friends. I dunno how to quote. But are you telling me that the woman doin 60 in the middle lane was just someone I was going out of my way to find ?? The woman caused a pile up for fcuk sake a motorbike was involved God help that poor person I hope their okay. I don't travel the country to find people like that. God forbid anybody like that should be on our roads. Shame on the person that passed her in her driving test. I'd say she was just passed there and then because the tester was too afraid to spend any longer in her car.

You didn't do any wrong and don't believe anyone who tells you so.

There is a crazy setup in this country where speeding, drink driving and mobile phone usage are seriously clamped down on, but all other facets of driving are seemingly ignore.

Driving at 60kph in the middle lane of a motorway is absolutely insane and you attempting to let the woman know that what she was doing was down right dangerous is the correct thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Bruthal wrote: »
    Beeping and shouting at every annoying driver is just silly and as annoying as the oblivious drivers themselves.

An oblvious driver is not going to suddenly realise they are in the wrong if we all starting flashing, beeping and blinding at them. Its a fruitless exercise and the only person we wind up is ourselves. People in Ireland need to learn the concept of maintaining an average speed, keeping the cool and just getting to where they need to go. Keep a distance, pass the middle lane hogger safely and just be on your way.

Driving emotional is a bad idea. We have no proof this lady caused an accident. What she was doing was wrong but it wasn't as stupid as two cars (or whatever) that didn't have the wits, maturity and cop on to maintain a distance. Instead, I'm assuming, everyone was getting rilled up over a few seconds of wasted time and this was the end result.

Seconds lads, thats what your saving. Seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You have a duty of care to those directly in front of you. Just because someone 2km down the road is in the wrong lane doesn't waive that. In fact, you shouldn't even care. Concentrate on what is in your immediate vicinity. Unfortunately, as road users, we have no way of educating these people. Thats the (failing miserably) job of the RSA :rolleyes:

She was in the wrong, no question, but there are people that seem to think a 5m gap is sufficient stopping distance at all times of night and day. The N11 / M11 interchange at rush hour is a perfect example of if we all left a gap, we'd be all home a lot sooner.

These people arn't causing accidents, they are facilitating them purely because people (more and more I think) are becoming hot headed behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

can't we all just calm down and be reasonable about all this and agree that middle lane hoggers all need to be exterminated so they no longer inconvenience the rest of us? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

RSA should stick up a TV add on lane discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

...God forbid anybody like that should be on our roads. Shame on the person that passed her in her driving test. I'd say she was just passed there and then because the tester was too afraid to spend any longer in her car.

I would go further, and say that it is unlikely she passed any test at all.

The standard of driving by some on the road is so bad, that they could not possibly have passed, or even sat, any form of test at all. If the truth were known, I would firmly believe that the number of drivers in Ireland who have sat no test, intend to sit no test, carry no L plates, and in some cases perhaps, are not even aware of the necessity to pass a test, is in the thousands, or even the tens of thousands.

Whenever have you heard of someone booked for driving unaccompanied with L plates? Whenever have you heard of a learner booked for carrying no L plates? Practically never, or few enough that the odds of being stopped are in six or seven figures.

The driving test standard as it stands, I would say is about a 3, on a scale of 1 to 10. The very minimum to be allowed drive on a public road at all. I would prefer if it were a stepping stone to a further test, which would be a standard of say, 5 or 6. What we are witnessing are drivers who are a standard of 1 or less, on a scale of 1 to 10, who are driving self-taught, unaccompanied and unenforced on the public road in their thousands, causing untold danger, delay and mayhem to everyone else.

The RSA are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For all the good it did, there was one years ago (late 70s) - doesn't appear to be on youtube unfortunately but some here may remember it.

Featured a Fiat making a spectacular 'three lane changes in one go with no indicators' manoeuvre on the Stillorgan dual carriageway. They probably just stuck a camera on the Belfield flyover and waited for the inevitable muppetry to happen.

There was also a black Merc on the Naas Road - southbound on Kylemore Rd / Walkinstown Ave junction I think. From the rightmost straight ahead lane, he tried to turn right when the lights turned green - "Now he's banjaxed TWO lanes of traffic." Strange that they picked that as one of the most important bad behaviours on the road that needed to be rectified, but there you go.

It also emphasised the basic rule of the road - "Keep Left, Pass Right" which few drivers seem aware of these days :(

Life ain't always empty.

you attempting to let the woman know that what she was doing was down right dangerous is the correct thing to do.

Yes, beeping and becoming filled with rage, that's how to tell an incompetent driver they are incompetent. The problem is, most incompetent drivers think they are fine. So someone beeping at them will mean little to them.

I do be giving out to the missis for it. She feels comfortable in the middle lane as once she gets over into the left lane, the middle lane drivers seem to get some sort of satisfaction in blocking her in there when she comes up to a slower truck and wants to pass.

This would be a true assessment in my view. I live my life in the left lane with a limited speed commercial and see this happen often. Which forces the left lane passer to brake and loss momentum due to a knob end block passing them instead of reading the road and moving into the right lane .

Although Irish drivers are very courteous in general, the ignorance of their surroundings can be annoying somewhat.

I actually have some ideas for this but wish I had the funding to go through with it. Wouldn't take much and you could easily make it very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Although Irish drivers are very courteous in general

This is a joke right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

This is a joke right?

4 Months since that post, quick.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90228261&postcount=200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Am I the only person that gets infuriated by people driving solely (and most often slowly) in the middle lane? Do they not realize,that THEY are the ones causing all the traffic, since most people think it's illegal to undertake they move to the right stepping others back.

Actually most people dont even know this concept or what undertaking is let along that its illegal outside of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭creedp

Anyone listen to Anto Savage (the motoring expert!) on Matt Cooper yesterday when he argued with Cooper that the outside lane was not the overtaking lane but the fast lane ... basically he argued that as everyone knows it as the fast lane he was going to continue to call it the fast lane!! And you wonder why there might be confusion amongst the great unwashed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

creedp wrote: »
    Anyone listen to Anto Savage (the motoring expert!) on Matt Cooper yesterday when he argued with Cooper that the outside lane was not the overtaking lane but the fast lane ... basically he argued that as everyone knows it as the fast lane he was going to continue to call it the fast lane!! And you wonder why there might be confusion amongst the great unwashed!!

And then went on to say later in the piece that people that hogged the "fast lane" after overtaking annoyed him. Suffering jases...

Can we get Savage and Conor Faughnan on a raft and just push it off towards the Atlantic? :mad:

creedp wrote: »
    Anto Savage (the motoring expert!)

Lol. That is all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

celticbest wrote: »
    4 Months since that post, quick.....

?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes, beeping and becoming filled with rage, that's how to tell an incompetent driver they are incompetent. The problem is, most incompetent drivers think they are fine. So someone beeping at them will mean little to them.

The way to do this is to stay calm and just buzz them at 1 inch and full throttle whilst holding down the horn.
    With a bit of luck they will sh*t their pants and never drive again.
    I consider it a public service.

Its not up to us to educate , or try to educate other drivers. In fact it would probably do more harm than good.

Its the RSA and Garda who should be doing something about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Its not up to us to educate , or try to educate other drivers. In fact it would probably do more harm than good.

Its the RSA and Garda who should be doing something about this.

I actually would not mind the RSA getting more pro-active on Driver Safety!

They seem to be far too quiet of late for some reason,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement