Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mastodon song. New album on the way

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I wouldn't hold my breath for the band to announce, the last time they played here it wasn't even listed on their site just the odd mention on Facebook.

Those dates are very likely if we get a tour. Not sure who the promoter is but its Kililive running them in the UK. Not sure if its all of the tour but Gojira will be supporting on some of the dates.

Excellent! Make up for that time they pulled out cause Sonisphere was cancelled

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was hoping they would play the Olympia but guessing we will get 2 Academy dates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah now I love the Academy, it's so much better than the Olympia for gigs. I'd be at one of those gigs if I wasn't in the middle of fecking final year... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nailz wrote: »
    Ah now I love the Academy, it's so much better than the Olympia for gigs. I'd be at one of those gigs if I wasn't in the middle of fecking final year... :(

The Academy is actually a good place for gigs (Even though i've only been to The Academy twice this year), are you in final year secondary school or college??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Academy is actually a good place for gigs (Even though i've only been to The Academy twice this year), are you in final year secondary school or college??

Definately not secondary school I'd imagine (As most gigs in the Academy are over 18s only :D:D)

The Academy is a better venue than the Olympia IMO.
    Somnus wrote: »
    Excellent! Make up for that time they pulled out cause Sonisphere was cancelled

Whoops just realized I didn't a link http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-07-06/gojira-itching-for-return-to-studio there is dates confirmed for a U.S. leg in Oct with Kvelertak maybe thats it but you never know. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Lithium93_ wrote: »

College man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Irish date confirmed for November 19th. Tickets on sale Friday. 30euro each!!

10491971_10152691010230934_6609766162677332564_n.png

*At Sonisphere in Knebworth the band supposedly said on this upcoming tour they would be playing the new album in full. Just letting people know as it's like something someone would complain about afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Gah! Have to wait to see if I'm on the emigrant ship or not!

Supposedly this is selling rapidly (Academy date) and support acts rumored to be announced this week.

• Advertisement

I see Remission is being re-issued. Payday cannot come soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm sickened because I really can't afford to go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Geography isn't strong within the Mastondon tour management team.

Nov 19The AcademyNewry, United Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RayCon wrote: »

what the feck!? I'm sure the rockers in Newry will be delighted to find out Mastodon are playing..

RayCon wrote: »

Spelling isn't strong in the RayCon camp :D:D and it's not even the usual one you see when people spell Mastodon wrong!! :)

Sorry for that...but yeah Trivium for definite and I'm pretty sure Anthrax too had on their official sites too they were playing that same place, I reckon it's something got to do with being in conjunction with that awful bandsintown app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Picked up tickets for the Dublin gig today. There is a good chance that I might have to go to Korea for work around that time, but hell, I'll take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Ordered my ticket last week as well. They were asbsolutely superb last time so can't wait to see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Big Business and Krokodil are support for Academy gig

Ticket arrived yesterday! That was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ok, I’ve finally gotten around to giving Once more ‘Round the Sun a proper listen and I have to admit that I am mightily impressed. On The Hunter, Mastodon had furrowed new ground, they broadened their horizons, deviating away from the raw brutality of their element-themed prog epics and carved themselves a niche that set them apart from both their influences and their peers.

Once More ‘Round the Sun is by all intents and purposes their most accessible album to date. The song structures are certainly a lot more straight forward and conventional then previous albums but are in no way less dynamic. The first few tracks are the most accessible songs on the album but from then on the songs get a little more dense and layered and akin to the proggier song structures of previous releases. The musicianship and production are impeccable with some typically fantastic soloing. As accessible as the album sounds it still didn’t ingratiate itself with me immediately but it definitely rewarded on multiple listens when I couldn't help but keep returning for more.

One particular high point on this album is the fact that they have three vocalists whose performances add dramatically to the dynamics of the songs. Vocally they have all upped their games and some of the vocal harmonies on here are wonderful and add a unique resonance to the songs.

Given the trajectory that Mastodon are currently on, I think that one of their biggest strengths as a band is just how fearless they are creatively. They’ve undoubtedly alienated plenty of fans still pining for a release akin to Remission/Leviathan but I’ve found myself loving this band more and more with each release. I loved Remission but then I heard Leviathan and thought that was even more impressive, then Blood Mountain was in a whole other league, Crack the Skye is arguably their masterpiece but then they exceeded my expectations yet again with The Hunter. Also given the lofty mythology themes and ambitious high concepts they always managed to avoid pretention.

Anyway, while Once More ‘Round the Sun is another outstanding contribution to their discography it’s not as daring as previous releases but it’s still just as unpredictable and I think I love it just as much.

Maybe I need a blog. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement