Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mastodon song. New album on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I cannot find a physical copy of the album. Anyone around Cork manage to pick up a copy yet? I would prefer to buy it in a shop rather than wait for it to be delivered from Amazon.

I picked it up yesterday in my local Xtravision(Clonmel) they even had it advertised on a new releases poster outside. Only gave it one spin first impressions are positive I have to say I'll post again when I'm in a better position to analyse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I cannot find a physical copy of the album. Anyone around Cork manage to pick up a copy yet? I would prefer to buy it in a shop rather than wait for it to be delivered from Amazon.

It's gotten difficult to buy new albums in Cork (in the metal vein).

But I was surprised to see Music Zone in Douglas Court are getting albums in like that:

https://twitter.com/MusicZoneDC/status/480337184646766592

They also have Slint, Spiderland, so the variety is wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's gotten difficult to buy new albums in Cork (in the metal vein).

But I was surprised to see Music Zone in Douglas Court are getting albums in like that:

https://twitter.com/MusicZoneDC/status/480337184646766592

They also have Slint, Spiderland, so the variety is wide.

25 quid for an album! total rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cost me 15 in HMV. Is that a special edition for 25?

So far so good with the album. Not really breaking any new ground, but it's different to the The Hunter. I notice a lot more clean melodic vocals and basic chugging, as opposed to their previous technical chugging riffage galore. Still a decent album.
    I don't know why I've stuck with Mastodon and lost interest in a lot of other metal bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Just bought it from Play.com for under €12, looking forward to giving it a listen

• Advertisement

My bad habit over the last year has been listening to albums in the car or on crappy headphones on the computer.

I need to get a stereo to play CDs and hook up mp3 files.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

25 quid for an album! total rip.

Hard to tell, but I think that's vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Albums on youtube if anyone was having trouble with streaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytxnJkKJfoQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I've given this a couple of listens now at this stage and I think it's one hell of an album, the album that the Hunter should have been. Straight up rock with a dash of their brand of prog, making a catchy as **** album. Hopefully we'll get another Irish date soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I've given this a couple of listens now at this stage and I think it's one hell of an album, the album that the Hunter should have been. Straight up rock with a dash of their brand of prog, making a catchy as **** album. Hopefully we'll get another Irish date soon.

Damn, that sounds good! I wasn't mad on the original single so hadn't really been following it. Must pick it up now!

• Advertisement

Somnus wrote: »
    Damn, that sounds good! I wasn't mad on the original single so hadn't really been following it. Must pick it up now!

Yeah, I wasn't mad on High Road when I first heard it, but it fits really well into the album. I probably had low expectations of it before I listened to it, but it has blown me away. The production is much better as well, it has more life to it than the Hunter did.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Gave it a few listens today, really growing on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Wasn't too keen on their last two albums but I might give their new one a listen on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Hopefully we'll get another Irish date soon.
    At the Amsterdam show last night they said they'll be back in November so that is at least UK and EU shows confirmed (expect an announcement after Sonisphere) so maybe IRL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Just finished my second play through of it there and I have to say I really like it. Feels a bit more solid than the Hunter. Just flows together well.

The first two tracks are absolute class opening songs. All though I felt the second half of the album growing on me a bit more second time round

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wouldn't be as good as the Hunter for me, but still a great album.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    At the Amsterdam show last night they said they'll be back in November so that is at least UK and EU shows confirmed (expect an announcement after Sonisphere) so maybe IRL too.

Bill did an interview in the Irish times today and he mentioned that they are going to kick off their headlining tour in Ireland in a few months. :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/mastodon-break-out-the-big-guns-1.1850475

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Loving this record. The song writing seems more even, I felt that The Hunter dipped a little in places. Wonderful soloing. Nice to hear a touch of Lizzy in them too. As good as this is, I feel they might still have better in them. Some of the openings are a bit fiddly for my taste, but once up and running, they have a great sense of momentum. I would like to drive or cycle whilst listening to this. Yep, that would work.

Bill did an interview in the Irish times today and he mentioned that they are going to kick off their headlining tour in Ireland in a few months. :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/mastodon-break-out-the-big-guns-1.1850475

F***ing sweet!!! :D

P.S. just read another interview here http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0702/627993-interview-mastodon-on-their-new-album/

Seems the tour will be November/December! :) And they're number 8 in the album charts, ha!

• Advertisement

Hopefully they will play for longer than they did last time. I thought it was a pretty short gig, though enjoyable.

Vaxxine wrote: »
    P.S. just read another interview here http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0702/627993-interview-mastodon-on-their-new-album/

Seems the tour will be November/December! :) And they're number 8 in the album charts, ha!

Yep here are the proposed UK dates.......

22nd November - Southampton O2 Guild Hall
    24th November - Manchester Academy
    25th November - Newcastle O2 Academy
    26th November - Glasgow O2 Academy
    28th November - London O2 Academy Brixton
    29th November - Birmingham O2 Academy
    01st December - Nottingham Rock City
    02nd December - Bristol O2 Academy

On sale Friday 11th July, 9AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

DME promotions have 3 announcements coming today and tomorrow, maybe a Mastodon gig or two could be announced in one of those. Was it DME who promoted the two Mastodon gigs in the Academy last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah, I don't think that was DME. I don't have the ticket handy, though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nah, I don't think that was DME. I don't have the ticket handy, though.

MCD was Mastodon last time out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

UK tour of the events mentioned above confirmed. Now hurry up with the Irish date announcement!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gig on the 19th November apparently

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/186266/9
    Mastodon Upcoming Tour Dates are as follows:

Wed November 19 2014 - DUBLIN Academy
    Thu November 20 BELFAST Limelight
    Sat November 22 2014 - SOUTHAMPTON O2 Guildhall
    Mon November 24 2014 - MANCHESTER Academy
    Tue November 25 2014 - NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE O2 Academy Newcastle
    Wed November 26 2014 - GLASGOW O2 Academy Glasgow
    Fri November 28 2014 - LONDON O2 Academy Brixton
    Sat November 29 2014 - BIRMINGHAM O2 Academy Birmingham
    Mon December 01 2014 - NOTTINGHAM Rock City
    Tue December 02 2014 - BRISTOL O2 Academy Bristol

Not on their official site and can't seem to see it elsewhere, so don't know how trustworthy that is

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd take it with a grain of salt, til the band themselves announce it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Gig on the 19th November apparently

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/186266/9

Not on their official site and can't seem to see it elsewhere, so don't know how trustworthy that is

Stereoboard are fairly reliable with that kinda stuff. Thats usually how i find out about most gigs before MCD/Aiken/DME announce them

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd take it with a grain of salt, til the band themselves announce it.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the band to announce, the last time they played here it wasn't even listed on their site just the odd mention on Facebook.

Those dates are very likely if we get a tour. Not sure who the promoter is but its Kililive running them in the UK. Not sure if its all of the tour but Gojira will be supporting on some of the dates.

Advertisement