Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Benefits & Proud: Opinions

Options
1235»

Comments

Just on the point of full employment during the boom - it's a bit of a red herring because during the same period disability claims rose by something like 70,000+ claimants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Spunge wrote: »
    As opposed to make enough money to afford their car loan and detached house to impress the neighbours and look the part, and that new extension to show to the relatives. And to be able to afford enough to spend a few hundred E every weekend hitting the town and getting hammered.

Truly enlightened values.

Yeah. Cause that's what I said. :rolleyes:

What are you blathering on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have yet to see any store security staff carrying a gun over here......

Perhaps...but they do have the right to keep and bear arms to a far greater degree than our own Lads......cold dead hands etc etc... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Just on the point of full employment during the boom - it's a bit of a red herring because during the same period disability claims rose by something like 70,000+ claimants.

Here's the basket in which the herrings can be stored......scary stuff indeed...and without ANY rational explanation either....:eek:

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2013/04/04/the-mystery-of-disability

Those figures are incredible !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps...but they do have the right to keep and bear arms to a far greater degree than our own Lads......cold dead hands etc etc... ;)

Security Guards are employed by companies who wouldn't want to deal with the lawsuits which could be brought if their security guard over-reacts with their shooty, shooty, bang bang.

I don't like guns BUT there's certain states where it's more difficult to legally get a gun than it would be to get one in rural Ireland. All we had to do where I grew up, was go to the local Garda station where they all knew you anyways because it was such a small town. And get something signed. Pay something like 40 euro and away you go. It may be a bit different now but I'm pretty sure there's no psychological examination. They likely check to see if you have any prior arrests and that's about the extent of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

goose2005 wrote: »
    And even the 4% unemployed weren't the same 4% all the time - people moving in and out of work who were on the dole temporarily. 0% unemployment would actually be a bad thing because then companies would have no labour supply.

You can never have 0% unemployment, that's why 4% is considered full employment as along with the few that are unwilling to work you have the likes of stay at home parents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Here's the basket in which the herrings can be stored......scary stuff indeed...and without ANY rational explanation either....:eek:

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2013/04/04/the-mystery-of-disability

Those figures are incredible !!!

Incredible no. But why does David only throw the balls for others to hop. The figures need exposing. AH is hardly going to make an inroads in exposing the trends that have been identified and clearly need addressing. Didnt AJ of IMF fame comment too on the on the questinably high proportion claiming disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

Yeah, the US actually does particularly poorly in that regard. Productivity has increased consistently in the US, but hasn't been matched with corresponding increases in real income. The graph I've attached shows this well.

The median figure is used here, because average incomes have gone up significantly, though they're distorted by the huge increases in income of the top couple of percent.

While there has been a gap between wages and productivity it's very important to point out that this increased 'productivity' has more to do with increases in technology and automation rather then people necessarily working harder or longer hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Chinasea wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/we-need-real-home-says-mother-of-five-housed-by-council-in-870-a-week-hotel-30193809.html

"Ms Murray (29), a mother of five from Shankill, Dublin, said she became homeless when she was unable to find a suitable home for her children.

She was in receipt of a €1,000 rent allowance and said that if she had received an additional €300 per month from the Department of Social Protection she would have found a home for her and her children.

But she has since learnt that her Dublin hotel room costs around €870 per week – or just under €3,500 per month – and that others housed in the hotel are in a similar situation.

She said: "It seems absolutely crazy to be spending all that money when a small increase in the rent allowance would mean me and my children could live at home."

Issues with this:

Get you and your childrens shoes off the bed.
    Why bring all these children into the world without a home or means of supporting other than reliant on welfare
    Automatic single minded entitlement attitude

No mention of support from the childrens dad or dads.

Why dont we all procreate and live in nice luxury hotels.

Beats paying a mortgage and working my ass off to pay for scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The father could be in bad health,or an alcoholic ,or on the dole.
    ITS not possible to have zero per cent employment ,
    as companys are closing down, moving to another location etc
    One problem is the council is selling off most of its council houses,
    so its got limited supply of house,s to send people on low incomes, who may need accomodation .
    Whether women should be allowed to leave birth cert blank ,no fathers name is another question.

Where they are sent to would not be luxury hotels ,maybe 1 or 2 star hotels.

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    Incredible no. But why does David only throw the balls for others to hop. The figures need exposing. AH is hardly going to make an inroads in exposing the trends that have been identified and clearly need addressing. Didnt AJ of IMF fame comment too on the on the questinably high proportion claiming disability.

Probably cos he's not paid to hop them.....?

Like DMac or hate him,the stats confound any reasonable persons attempt to explain them.

One possible explanation is that Ireland Teo broadened the definition of "Disability" to a degree well beyond that in the remainder of Europe.

For example the Free Travel Scheme is traditionally referred to as the Old Age Pension Pass by many,including most media outlets,yet the actual numbers of Pass Holders of Pensionable Age is less than 50% of the total.

Equally,in 2012,the Free Travel Pass recipients included 97,000 who'se status was described as "Others"....Not Pensioner,not Disabled...but...."Other".

Perhaps AJ might be abvle to clarify the IMF definition of that term...?

But you are correct Chinasea,It remains unclear as to WHY those disability statictics do not merit some questioning ...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Gorlomi

Areever Derchi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There's a programme on TV3 called On Benefits & Proud and it's about people on the Dole in the UK making huge amounts of money off the government.

One woman has around 11 kids and is getting a 6 bedroom house! Some of the stuff seems so ridiculous.

Another has 2 television subscribers in the one house!

I agree with the whole idea of helping the needy and all but I also think that people shouldn't be abusing it.

Just curious on peoples opinions :)

It's Lowest Common Denominater TV- justify it by calling it social TV but it's finding a person willing to be a stooge for the baying masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I wish the OECD would make up their minds .. Now Irelands generous welfare is stopping growth. Few years ago reducing the welfare rate was a massive no no as it would take huge amounts of money out of the economy and stop growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I wish the OECD would make up their minds .. Now Irelands generous welfare is stopping growth. Few years ago reducing the welfare rate was a massive no no as it would take huge amounts of money out of the economy and stop growth.

Was it though really or was it just purely lazy policy reviewers signing off for the forseeable future. After all saving for a rainy day never came into ANY equation in Ireland.

Advertisement