Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Benefits & Proud: Opinions

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

There's a programme on TV3 called On Benefits & Proud and it's about people on the Dole in the UK making huge amounts of money off the government.

One woman has around 11 kids and is getting a 6 bedroom house! Some of the stuff seems so ridiculous.

Another has 2 television subscribers in the one house!

I agree with the whole idea of helping the needy and all but I also think that people shouldn't be abusing it.

Just curious on peoples opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

im doing a great deal on popcorn if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I am even prouder to fund their lifestyle. "Memmy, look at all the stuff I has byed for dese noice peeple". Taxpayer, FTW. Taking it like a dart tunnel, fast, gritty and right up the chuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'm watching this too. Its shocking stuff.

No way in hell would I have 11 kids to live a life of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There's a programme on TV3 called On Benefits & Proud and it's about people on the Dole in the UK making huge amounts of money off the government.

One woman has around 11 kids and is getting a 6 bedroom house! Some of the stuff seems so ridiculous.

I agree with the whole idea of helping the needy and all but I also think that people shouldn't be abusing it.

Your guaranteed it does not portray actual people on the dole more fodder for the unemployed bashers. Just like that one about Dole scammers/disabled. Just used to turn people against genuine people in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It upset me greatly so I turned it off.
    I was shrieking 'get a job and pay for it yourself ****rr' at your man who was complaining of the crap state of house he was renting.
    Life's too short to be that angry at someone I will never ever meet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Loved the U.S system when I lived there.
    You work or you don't eat.

Not literally, I mean they did help the genuine needy...but there was not the same cosy security net that exists here and in the UK and other Westrern European countries.

That's why people living in the U.S really get out and work if they at all can ...

and please don't come back with the 'no jobs' argument.

There are actually quite a lot of jobs, but a lot of people are doing so well on benefits it doesn't pay them to work as they lose medical card etc.

Personally as a tax payer I am sick of supporting feckless people and their poor life choices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

....it's been a few weeks at least ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm watching this too. Its shocking stuff.

No way in hell would I have 11 kids to live a life of luxury.

While they might get a large house and money they still live a pretty crappy life. Imagine the mess 11 kids would make and its not like the professional breeders are the kind if people that would think about cleaning.

Dublin_Mom wrote: »

Not literally, I mean they did help the genuine needy...but there was not the same cosy security net that exists here and in the UK and other Westrern European countries.

That's why people living in the U.S really get out and work if they at all can ...

There are actually quite a lot of jobs, but a lot of people are doing so well on benefits it doesn't pay them to work as they lose medical card etc.

Personally as a tax payer I am sick of supporting feckless people and their poor life choices

You bailed out the people who gambled in property yet people who lost their jobs are lazy/made poor choices ? And there are no jobs or there would not be massive unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Gourmet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Gourmet?

Gorlomi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You bailed out the people who gambled in property yet people who lost their jobs are lazy/made poor choices ? And there are no jobs or there would not be massive unemployment.

You know right well that the poster is referring to people who won't work, not people who can't get jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why I love After Hours reason #1.

:)

Firstly, wasn't my choice to bail out anyone
    Secondly, there are a jobs out there but people on benefits wont take them as they would be less well off. And yes I have first hand experience of this from my own workplace.

Oh, and I never stated people who lost jobs are lazy. Lots of people who lost jobs are desperately trying to find work and good luck to them.

But lots more have never bothered to work or find a job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Secondly, there are a jobs out there but people on benefits wont take them as they would be less well off. And yes I have first hand experience of this from my own workplace.

Oh, and I never stated people who lost jobs are lazy. Lots of people who lost jobs are desperately trying to find work and good lick to them.

Lazy plain and simple ,

Oh, and I never stated people who lost jobs are lazy. Lots of people who lost jobs are desperately trying to find work and good lick to them.

Do you have figures for this massive section of society that wont work ? And if you quote the boom times levels I will remind you. 80% of a certain section of society is unemployed and always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My other half has been watching it there alright.

The only thing I can confirm from glancing at the TV every so often is that your one from Camden has a god awful horrible set of (MASSIVE) tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

There are people out there that are genuinely in need and would take any job they can get becsuse they would rather work but and it's a big BUT there are also people that are long term unemployed and perfectly happy that way. Taking every penny they can get and know about every penny they can possibly squeeze out of tge government. I had a conversation with a woman recently and she told me she wouldnt take a full time pretty well paid job because it wouldn't be worth her while. My blood was boiling.

And this is why like the other poster I turned the programme off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ah for fecks sake.

*Whistles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I know we've our own problems, but when I was in the States I couldn't get over their homeless and poor and just what a bad shape they were in. Like I remember hobos doing a Moe Sizlack by wearing plastic bags for shoes.

• Advertisement

Do you have figures for this massive section of society that wont work ? And if you quote the boom times levels I will remind you. 80% of a certain section of society is unemployed and always has been.

I don't have figures but I am sure you could google and find for yourself...

And maybe you are happy enough paying for people who could really (and should really) be supporting themselves)

...But I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pretty simple propaganda. Of the tens of millions reliant in some way on social welfare payments, pick out a dozen or so and encourage them to act awful for the camera.

And guess what? It doesn't work.

No, there aren't. There are about 20 unemployed people for every new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Some people work.

Some people are on the dole.

Some people want jobs.

Some people want to stay on the dole.

Some people are honest people who lost their jobs.

Some people defraud the system.

There are jobs.

There aren't jobs.

Some taxpayers hate dole recipients.

Some taxpayers don't mind dole recipients.

Have I got it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Id love to see a programme about all the companies scrounging millions off the state for all the tax breaks and free workers that they have...

I don't have figures but I am sure you could google and find for yourself...

And maybe you are happy enough paying for people who could really (and should really) be supporting themselves)

...But I'm not

Your not supporting them The Government is You pay tax to the Government and they decide what to spend it on right or wrong thats the way it is.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Pretty simple propaganda. Of the tens of millions reliant in some way on social welfare payments, pick out a dozen or so and encourage them to act awful for the camera.

And guess what? It doesn't work.

No, there aren't. There are about 20 unemployed people for every new job.

There are jobs going unfilled...fact. And a lot of them are taken by Eastern Europeans/Asians.

And last time I checked the U.S was doing pretty well, so no idea what you mean by 'it doesn't work'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Some people work.

Some people are on the dole.

Some people want jobs.

Some people want to stay on the dole.

Some people are honest people who lost their jobs.

Some people defraud the system.

There are jobs.

There aren't jobs.

Some taxpayers hate dole recipients.

Some taxpayers don't mind dole recipients.

Have I got it all?

And some people sit on the Fence.

Your not supporting them The Government is You pay tax to the Government and they decide what to spend it on right or wrong.

Perhaps read that back to yourself and see if it makes sense

There are jobs going unfilled...fact. And a lot of them are taken by Eastern Europeans/Asians.

And last time I checked the U.S was doing pretty well, so no idea what you mean by 'it doesn't work'

When did all the Eastern European research development people come in Or multi language or specific java programmers I could go on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In what way is the US doing well? Doing well at having its largest levels of income inequality since the 1920s?

Advertisement